Options

The Alt-Left

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Well, according to Trump, homelessness started 2 years ago, but don't worry, he's looking into it now.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/451313-trump-describes-homelessness-in-cities-as-phenomena-that-started-two
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited July 2019
    jeffbr said:
    Well, according to Trump, homelessness started 2 years ago, but don't worry, he's looking into it now.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/451313-trump-describes-homelessness-in-cities-as-phenomena-that-started-two
    Hey, if he wants to tell everyone that terrible problems started after he entered office, great, lol. Whatever makes him look even worse, I'm all for at moment. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited July 2019

Look at those thugs and cowards covering there face...hard to believe there is no law against covering your face while committing a crime...20 years no parole should be the sentence...
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2019

Look at those thugs and cowards covering there face...hard to believe there is no law against covering your face while committing a crime...20 years no parole should be the sentence...
    Total losers.  Glad people are finally starting to see them for what they are.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Thugs and cowards...people who cover their face while committing a crime are COWARDS and should get 20 years minimum...NO PAROLE.
    Many states actually having anti-masking laws...mostly put into place back in the day because of the KKK. But Oregon isn't one of those states. Here's a list of which states have those laws, which don't, and what the laws actually are...

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/maskcodes.html
    It should be a federal law...just cowards and thugs...far right/left thugs need to be jailed.  Protest peacefully or go to jail...
    I think most places have the same view.  Oregonians have just taken it upon themselves to turn their state/city into a shithole and let these thugs run wild.  
    Portland in particular.  That used to be a great town.  What a sh*thole it's become.
    Why do you say that?? Just because there are protests like this happening there? These things don't turn cities into shitholes. And even if you think so... get used to it. The politics in America generate this (Portland certainly doesn't). And if it weren't for this kind of resistance, the Trump clan would have a sure route to fascism.
    I think “this type of resistance” only fuels the divide.  I don’t think they have hurt Trump in any way and have quite possibly done the opposite.  They let people say “see, look at those violent leftists” just like happens with “see, look at those violent righties” when someone is run over by a car by an alt-right fringe.  They are in no way beneficial to our democracy.

The divide is forged already. Too late for that. Now it's just a matter of straight up resistance on the streets. Anyway, my main point is that these things don't turn cities into shitholes. 
    Maybe not the whole city, just the parts they are being dumbasses at, ha. 

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

Total losers.  Glad people are finally starting to see them for what they are.
    And everyone, if confronted as an individual, would cower and turtle...just plain cowards...and there are people on this board that will condemn this behaviour.  All violence should be condemned or you are no better...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Portland needs to deploy emergency hacky-sack caches to chill the city out to the level it was when I lived there.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Thugs and cowards...people who cover their face while committing a crime are COWARDS and should get 20 years minimum...NO PAROLE.
    Many states actually having anti-masking laws...mostly put into place back in the day because of the KKK. But Oregon isn't one of those states. Here's a list of which states have those laws, which don't, and what the laws actually are...

http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/mcs/maskcodes.html
    It should be a federal law...just cowards and thugs...far right/left thugs need to be jailed.  Protest peacefully or go to jail...
    I think most places have the same view.  Oregonians have just taken it upon themselves to turn their state/city into a shithole and let these thugs run wild.  
    Portland in particular.  That used to be a great town.  What a sh*thole it's become.
    Why do you say that?? Just because there are protests like this happening there? These things don't turn cities into shitholes. And even if you think so... get used to it. The politics in America generate this (Portland certainly doesn't). And if it weren't for this kind of resistance, the Trump clan would have a sure route to fascism.
    To be fair, I think most cities today are sh*holes.  Not all, but most.

Are you saying you support the kind of action Antifa is taking?  That would surprise and disappoint me.  That just doesn't seem like you. 
    Violence toward others will do nothing but bolster Trumps support.  Violent protests do not help a movement go forward.  They only turn the average person against a causeYou want me get used to protests and action that cause injury or death to others?  Never!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I grew up about 30 miles south of San Francisco, lived in S.F. for about 4 years and still get down there three or four times a year.  It used to be such a fine town- a place where just about anyone could live.  Now it's all wealthy people and hoards of homeless people.  It's become a very strange place to me!
    You'd think the wealthy would try to help the homeless. Isn't that was the democratic party is all about? Helping the less fortunate? 
    Many do.  But remember, there is a difference between helping and enabling.  Many people (I'm not saying you) do not understand the difference. 

The other thing is, a lot of people will begin, out of the goodness of their heart, to help the homeless.  And then stuff happens.

Let's say you are assaulted by a homeless person (I have been- I can still point out his club's dents in my car).  That might make one more leery of wanting to stay involved.

Or let's say you let a homeless guy stay at you and your roommates' place and after several months the other roommates tell you to get rid of the guy and when you do the guy yells at you for being a traitor and now you've pissed both him off and your roommates becomes less of the friends they were before all this happened (to me, years ago). 

Or lets say you walk to work every day and are pestered by the same homeless person (been there, had that done to me at least a few places/ jobs).  Might not do much to keep you motivated to help.

Or let's say you own a small business and a homeless guy comes in and pisses through his pants onto your floor  and not only does he do nothing to help clean it up, but the next time he comes in, he denies it ever happened (yep, true story).

Or a homeless guy comes in the store a number of times and smells so freaking bad that customers begin to walk out of the place and you somehow (i.e. lucky me) get to ask as nicely as possible, "Sorry to bother you, friend, but could you please shower before you come in again?" and you tell him where he can clean up for free and then suddenly he starts screaming at you and he's twice your size you become very, very  uncomfortable (oh yeah, done that one to). 

And I'm not exactly what you would call "rich", so I don't know what the eff else to do about the problem.  I think a lot of other people feel the same way.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I grew up about 30 miles south of San Francisco, lived in S.F. for about 4 years and still get down there three or four times a year.  It used to be such a fine town- a place where just about anyone could live.  Now it's all wealthy people and hoards of homeless people.  It's become a very strange place to me!
    You'd think the wealthy would try to help the homeless. Isn't that was the democratic party is all about? Helping the less fortunate? 
    Many do.  But remember, there is a difference between helping and enabling.  Many people (I'm not saying you) do not understand the difference. 

The other thing is, a lot of people will begin, out of the goodness of their heart, to help the homeless.  And then stuff happens.

Let's say you are assaulted by a homeless person (I have been- I can still point out his club's dents in my car).  That might make one more leery of wanting to stay involved.

Or let's say you let a homeless guy stay at you and your roommates' place and after several months the other roommates tell you to get rid of the guy and when you do the guy yells at you for being a traitor and now you've pissed both him off and your roommates becomes less of the friends they were before all this happened (to me, years ago). 

Or lets say you walk to work every day and are pestered by the same homeless person (been there, had that done to me at least a few places/ jobs).  Might not do much to keep you motivated to help.

Or let's say you own a small business and a homeless guy comes in and pisses through his pants onto your floor  and not only does he do nothing to help clean it up, but the next time he comes in, he denies it ever happened (yep, true story).

Or a homeless guy comes in the store a number of times and smells so freaking bad that customers begin to walk out of the place and you somehow (i.e. lucky me) get to ask as nicely as possible, "Sorry to bother you, friend, but could you please shower before you come in again?" and you tell him where he can clean up for free and then suddenly he starts screaming at you and he's twice your size you become very, very  uncomfortable (oh yeah, done that one to). 

And I'm not exactly what you would call "rich", so I don't know what the eff else to do about the problem.  I think a lot of other people feel the same way.

Well said, Brian.  My wife and I have always believed in giving and helping those in need.  In fact, roughly 12% of our paychecks goes to charity donations.  We’re not “rich”, by any means, but we do feel it is our responsibility.  That being said, you do have to be careful these days with scams running rampant.  I was with a friend who gave a “homeless” person money and we decided to watch them for a while (we were waiting to meet up with other friends)  After about 20 minutes of panhandling, that same “homeless” person went to the alley, jumped into his newish model Ford F-150 (newer than our vehicles) and drove off.  It is hard to know if your donations are going to the deserving or not, but I still feel that giving with an open heart is virtuous. It is hard, though, to get past the cynicism from all of the con artists losers out there. 
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Here is part of the problem.  I am friends with a nurse who used to volunteer and worked with the homeless.  She said 80% of the homeless are not capable of leading a normal life (or what most perceive as normal)...many factors play into it...drugs, mental health, extreme abuse...etc.

Like she said, "no employer is hiring these people at the moment and it could take years to get even some of these people employable".  

Then the other problem, can they remain employable.

And most employers are not charities and they are not hiring people with track marks on their arms, meth heads with no teeth, people who fail to properly clean themselves...and on and on.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Another thing that could be done is to offer grant money to universities to come up with better more reliable programs to replace the outdated/poor results that the 12 step program often delivers...

Time to open up rehab clinics in hospitals and use an updated program for rehab.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    Jason P said:
    Portland needs to deploy emergency hacky-sack caches to chill the city out to the level it was when I lived there.
    It’s still an awesome city, so I’m not sure where the shithole comments are coming from. There’s an affordable housing strain which has added to the homelessness problem (that is widespread across the country). The ‘antifa’ are a handful of essentially the same ‘anarchists’ from 20-25 years ago who are opportunists there to bust stuff up, or lately, punch white supremacists or be violent in general. 
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    It’s still an awesome city, so I’m not sure where the shithole comments are coming from. There’s an affordable housing strain which has added to the homelessness problem (that is widespread across the country). The ‘antifa’ are a handful of essentially the same ‘anarchists’ from 20-25 years ago who are opportunists there to bust stuff up, or lately, punch white supremacists or be violent in general. 
    Sorry, G.B., I started that.  It's just a reflection of my current disdain for big cities.  I'll have to scale back on that soon because I have a day trip to San Francisco coming up.  And hope I don't get accosted or have my car windows broken out.  Chances of that happening in that sh*thole ( :wink: )are pretty good these. 

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I live in West Hollywood - the city promotes "green-ness" big time.  Thing is, yesterday I was walking along a residential street right in the heart of it, and there was trash all over, a stinking overloaded dumpster, cigarette butts, bottles, random toys, pieces of lumber, just shit all over the sidewalks.  Sadly, it seems rampant - too many people practice the "do as I say, not as I do" way of life.  I call bullshit on that.  On them.

Also in LA, the homeless housing situation is out of control.  Many don't want help, many are lost to addiction or mental illnesses, many are just lost.  Our pathetic excuse of a mayor wants to work with Trump to "fix the crisis" after his own plans spectacularly failed.  So simple, eh?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    CM189191 said:

Both sides...
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,696
    edited August 2019
    Another thing that could be done is to offer grant money to universities to come up with better more reliable programs to replace the outdated/poor results that the 12 step program often delivers...

Time to open up rehab clinics in hospitals and use an updated program for rehab.
    yeah, well how about in addition too instead of replace. cuz from my seat, "outdated/poor result" still works....... 13 yrs 4 months today. and counting..........

side note, AA was meant initially for the hopeless, the ones Medical science could do nothing for. The chronic alcoholic whose next stop was an institution for wet brain, a jail cell for some awful act or death from a preventable condition like cirrhosis.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

yeah, well how about in addition too instead of replace. cuz from my seat, "outdated/poor result" still works....... 13 yrs 4 months today. and counting..........

side note, AA was meant initially for the hopeless, the ones Medical science could do nothing for. The chronic alcoholic whose next stop was an institution for wet brain, a jail cell for some awful act or death from a preventable condition like cirrhosis.
    Right on Mickey. 

Maybe AA sucks in Canada, I don't know (but I doubt it).  What I do know is that in many places it works great.  I've known some very good souls (like you, but in person) who proudly wear the recovery jewelry.  They all have good stories.  Not everyone makes it of course.  I know some who died because they couldn't quit.  But without AA, I know damn well there would be more dead.

Here's to the living.  Well done.

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    My grandfathers were too, but they would probably mock the people that claim to be “Antifa” today, dressing in black, tearing up shit, and beating up the elderly.  They hardly compare with our WW2 Veterans....
  • Options

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    PJPOWER said:
    My grandfathers were too, but they would probably mock the people that claim to be “Antifa” today, dressing in black, tearing up shit, and beating up the elderly.  They hardly compare with our WW2 Veterans....
    Isn’t the point that most everyone is anti-fascist. The counter protesters at these have some opportunists mixed in who want to bust shit up. 

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Isn’t the point that most everyone is anti-fascist. The counter protesters at these have some opportunists mixed in who want to bust shit up. 

I think so, Ben.  That is why some so-called radical groups like Earth First! start out doing good work and then get infiltrated by true extremest who screw the whole thing up hugely.

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJPOWER said:
    And yet a majority of them voted for a thin-skinned authoritarian wannabe... 🤔
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    rgambs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    And yet a majority of them voted for a thin-skinned authoritarian wannabe... 🤔
    Majority of who?  WW2 veterans?  The majority of them were already dead as of 2016...
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    PJPOWER said:

That is exactly the point, most everyone is anti-fascist!  It’s only a few dumbasses dressing in black bloc and playing with their (also minority) dumbass “proud boys” that are causing the stir in these cities.  Yet, their nonsense is causing a lot of distress and fear for the citizens in the cities they pick fights in.  When someone argues against the organized “Antifa”, they are generally talking about the blac-blocked idiots and not everyone that is anti-fascist.  I thought that was obvious by now?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

That is exactly the point, most everyone is anti-fascist!  

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Here is another stretch brought to you by your resident Kentucky Chaos.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,581
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:

Here is another stretch brought to you by your resident Kentucky Chaos.

He does kinda look like Randy Paul.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.