Options

Justice Kennedy Retiring

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    i wonder how many more justices will retire before trump's reign ends in 2024?
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    i wonder how many more justices will retire before trump's reign ends in 2024?

Are you sure it's going to be 2024?

He's cozying up to dictators, talking about how dictatorship is awesome, thinks he's really something special...

At this point, I'm thinking it is within the realm of possibilities that McDonald changes the course of history for the US with regards to a democracy. I feel his rabid f**ked up base would support it too.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    So what dictators are western leaders allow to cozy up to.  The Trudeau's have a fondness for the Castro's and China.  Both Canada and the US sell weapons to Saudi Arabia...I think we need clear rules on which dictators to avoid...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So what dictators are western leaders allow to cozy up to.  The Trudeau's have a fondness for the Castro's and China.  Both Canada and the US sell weapons to Saudi Arabia...I think we need clear rules on which dictators to avoid...

I don't think 'avoid' should be the operative term. There should be some level of relationship so we can avert anything catastrophic; however, I don't think western leaders should be giving dictators handjobs like McDonald does for Putin.

It's fair to say Putin is running things at this point- the US has officially lost its grip on planetary control. The next few decades are going to be interesting.
  • Options
    So some dictators are fine ... so  the Chinese's dictators and the Saudi Dictators are OK, why?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    So some dictators are fine ... so  the Chinese's dictators and the Saudi Dictators are OK, why?  

I never said that.

Why are you defending Donald Trump's affinity for Putin?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Only benevolent dictators.  But show me one.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Well the Saudi dictators are using US weapons in Yemen ...

It was only 1 meeting.  he is no longer lobbing missile over Japan.  How is the not good?  I don't like Trump anymore than the next person.  But the west has a kong history of dealing with dictators...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

It was only 1 meeting.  he is no longer lobbing missile over Japan.  How is the not good?  I don't like Trump anymore than the next person.  But the west has a kong history of dealing with dictators...
    Yes, the west has a bit of a King Kong history.  :lol:  (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

You're right though.  We even had certain people in high places conniving with Hitler and the Nazi's.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, the west has a bit of a King Kong history.  :lol:  (Sorry, couldn't help myself)

You're right though.  We even had certain people in high places conniving with Hitler and the Nazi's.

Maybe it is a necessary evil to have to work with dictators ... who knows.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Maybe (and that's a big maybe).  I think it depends on what you mean by "work with" and to what degree.   For example, the Ford (as in automotive) family did not work with Nazis because it was a "necessary evil". 

And selling arms to countries with dictatorships...  well, we all know how that has worked out.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Maybe (and that's a big maybe).  I think it depends on what you mean by "work with" and to what degree.   For example, the Ford (as in automotive) family did not work with Nazis because it was a "necessary evil". 

And selling arms to countries with dictatorships...  well, we all know how that has worked out.

No offence ... Trump having a meeting with NK dictator does far less harm than selling weapons to the Saudi's...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No offence ... Trump having a meeting with NK dictator does far less harm than selling weapons to the Saudi's...
    That's for sure.  In fact. Trump meeting with Jung-un is no more harmful than a half hour of Jeopardy!

Only Jeopardy is more reality based.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

That's for sure.  In fact. Trump meeting with Jung-un is no more harmful than a half hour of Jeopardy!

I agree ... 

Maybe just avoid all dictators....

Of course many politicians in the west have dictatorial tendencies.  The difference we eventually get to toss the crooks out of office for a different crooks...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I agree ... 

Maybe just avoid all dictators....

Of course many politicians in the west have dictatorial tendencies.  The difference we eventually get to toss the crooks out of office for a different crooks...
    Seems to be the case much of the time!

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    It is odd that Kennedy would look at tRump and think "yeah I want this guy to name my replacement."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/anthony-kennedy-resignation-trump/

I hope this story isn't true
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited July 2018
    I'm thinking it probably is true. I mean, why else would this guy resign right now?? It just doesn't make any sense... unless he's dying. Has anyone heard anywhere that the guy's dying?

Trump's business career is more connected to Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy than we ever knew

http://www.businessinsider.com/anthony-kennedy-son-loaned-president-trump-over-a-billion-dollars-2018-6

If this is true.... it's obviously not going to ever get the attention it should get.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,981
    It's weird....if the theory is true, Kennedy would have to recuse himself from entering any opinion on potential tRump cases at the supreme court due to this connection.  By resigning there is no connection.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,209
    edited July 2018
    so this Kavanaugh guy had up to $200,000 in credit card debt.  how is this possible and how dumb is that? heck his minimum payment on that had to be as much as most people's mortgages.  This is a guy we want on the highest of courts? 
    Post edited by pjhawks on
  • Options
    PJhawks... the bar is really low right now. Look what's acceptable for the president position when questioning whether some idiot that cannot manage credit cards is appropriate for supreme court.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,246
    edited July 2018
    I read that the other day. It was all on Washington Nationals season tickets. He paid it all off, but it was strange and seemed really dumb of him. Sounds like an addiction issue if you can pile up that much debt buying season and playoff tickets. He does have the lowest assets of any justice. Way less than Gorsuch had coming in.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I read that the other day. It was all on Washington Nationals season tickets. He paid it all off, but it was strange and seemed really dumb of him. Sounds like an addiction issue if you can pile up that much debt buying season and playoff tickets. He does have the lowest assets of any justice. Way less than Gorsuch had coming in.
    yes lots of Nats tickets.   They have a $1.2 million dollar home and combined they made around $300,000 a year. seems like they are living close to the edge.  
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    yes lots of Nats tickets.   They have a $1.2 million dollar home and combined they made around $300,000 a year. seems like they are living close to the edge.  
    Hey though, what could go wrong with a financially unstable judge prone to debt. I'm sure he can't be bought.

Yeah, the home value really threw me off when I saw the income amounts. Didn't make sense. Also read some of the debt was related to home improvement costs.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310
    He could of retired at any point but to retire before the upcoming midterms is fishy I don’t trust him at all ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:
    Hey though, what could go wrong with a financially unstable judge prone to debt. I'm sure he can't be bought.

Yeah, the home value really threw me off when I saw the income amounts. Didn't make sense. Also read some of the debt was related to home improvement costs.
    What about the home value vs income throws you off?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Maybe it shouldn't have. I guess a home that costs 4x your annual income is pretty normal these days. Just not how I'd ever want to be financially strained. I guess they could have put down a large down payment so probably just poor speculation on my part.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

Maybe it shouldn't have. I guess a home that costs 4x your annual income is pretty normal these days. Just not how I'd ever want to be financially strained. I guess they could have put down a large down payment so probably just poor speculation on my part.

I live in an expensive part of the world. You can't really buy a house for less than a million. Nothing about that scenario seems unusual to me, though maybe it should. People with lower income than that are somehow purchasing houses. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    If the trimester get a second term, he might get to appoint another SCOTUS...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,015
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

I live in an expensive part of the world. You can't really buy a house for less than a million. Nothing about that scenario seems unusual to me, though maybe it should. People with lower income than that are somehow purchasing houses. 
    Not to mention if you bought a house 20 years ago you likely paid a small fraction of what it is worth today. See it all the time, family lives on a home for 20 years, sell it and upgrade to what they couldn’t have afforded otherwisr
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    pjhawks said:
    tbergs said:

how about $200,000 in credit card debt?  that is just crazy.