Options

TONIGHT’S LONDON SHOW POSTPONED

Comments

• Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I hope Ed is seeing a vocal coach as well. I'm a bit worried that he is singing only from his throat, that way you can easily end up with a sore throat.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    pashapasamanpashapasaman Posts: 497
    News from. Italy are good :)  Milan here i come tomorrow
    This is news from PJ camp right? Not some random livenation guy lol
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • Options
    FactoryMan93FactoryMan93 Posts: 716
    Maybe this is the reason for the shorter sets. Maybe Ed was having trouble with his voice or throat in the past few days and finally it just gave out. Warm wishes for a fast recovery.
  • Options
    danlee1095danlee1095 Posts: 991
    deadendp said:
    Sitting in Heathrow with my wife waiting for the plane back to NY feeling mixed emotions. We had some really bad luck Monday night that got worse when the cancellation was announced. My wife and I both drew tickets for Night 2 so several months ago I swapped with another board member for his fan club presale GA seats for N1 (not officiall 10 Club seats but all signs pointed toward a legit deal).  Turns out these tickets were not valid...I nearly lost it when we were denied entry, but focused, recovered and was able to find a guardian angel who had an extra GA (didn’t catch your name but THANK YOU if you are reading this). My wife just said “go have fun” and she retreated back to the hotel, missing the show. I missed the first 3 songs but then settled in and had a heck of a night.

We made the most of our “day off” in London on Tuesday and a little bad luck turned around when I randomly ran into Matt Cameron on the street. He was as cool as you would expect and I just told him to tell Ed we are all pushing for him to get better real soon, and that we would see him in Boston!

Amazing trip to London, one very enjoyable show but yes, feeling a bit listless now and bummed my wife missed both shows (honestly I think we just miss our kids).  Couple lessons learned: don’t make trades for non 10C tickets and more importantly, every show is a gift.
    I am so very sorry to read this.  
    Oh man I would have cried if I got the chance to meet Matt Cameron. However important Pearl Jam are to me, Soundgarden are equally so. Did you grab a photo with him?
    I was tempted to ask but something told me to let it go. Who knows how the band members must have been feeling. I’m sure he would have obliged though!  He’s simply the best.
    There's a reason he is called Matt Fucking Cameron. :smile: So glad that you were able meet Matt. 

Thank you for sharing your story and for reminding us all that every show really is a gift.  
    Of course and always happy to share stories with happy endings!
    9/8/98 (NJ), 9/10/98 (NY), 8/23/00 (NY), 8/24/00 (NY), 8/25/00 (NY), 4/30/03 (NY), 7/8/03 (NY), 7/9/03 (NY), 5/12/06 (NY), 6/1/06 (NJ), 6/3/06 (NJ), 8/5/07 (IL), 6/22/08 (DC), 6/24/08 (NY), 6/25/08 (NY), 7/1/08 (NY), 10/4/09 (TX ), 10/30/09 (PA), 5/20/10 (NY), 5/21/10 (NY), 9/3/11 (WI), 9/4/11 (WI), 7/19/13 (IL), 10/18/13 (NY), 10/19/13 (NY), 10/3/14 (MO), 9/23/15 (NY), 9/26/15 (NY), 5/1/16 (NY), 5/2/16 (NY), 8/5/16 (MA), 8/22/16 (IL), 4/7/17 (NY), 6/18/18 (UK), 8/20/18 (IL), 9/2/18 (MA), 9/4/18 (MA), 9/18/21 (NJ), 9/26/21 (CA), 10/1/21 (CA), 10/2/21 (CA), 9/10/22 (NY), 9/11/22 (NY), 9/14/22 (NJ), 9/16/22 (TN), 9/22/22 (CO), 8/31/23 (MN), 9/2/23 (MN), 9/5/23 (IL), 9/7/23 (IL)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,240
    deadendp said:
    Sitting in Heathrow with my wife waiting for the plane back to NY feeling mixed emotions. We had some really bad luck Monday night that got worse when the cancellation was announced. My wife and I both drew tickets for Night 2 so several months ago I swapped with another board member for his fan club presale GA seats for N1 (not officiall 10 Club seats but all signs pointed toward a legit deal).  Turns out these tickets were not valid...I nearly lost it when we were denied entry, but focused, recovered and was able to find a guardian angel who had an extra GA (didn’t catch your name but THANK YOU if you are reading this). My wife just said “go have fun” and she retreated back to the hotel, missing the show. I missed the first 3 songs but then settled in and had a heck of a night.

We made the most of our “day off” in London on Tuesday and a little bad luck turned around when I randomly ran into Matt Cameron on the street. He was as cool as you would expect and I just told him to tell Ed we are all pushing for him to get better real soon, and that we would see him in Boston!

Amazing trip to London, one very enjoyable show but yes, feeling a bit listless now and bummed my wife missed both shows (honestly I think we just miss our kids).  Couple lessons learned: don’t make trades for non 10C tickets and more importantly, every show is a gift.
    I am so very sorry to read this.  
    Oh man I would have cried if I got the chance to meet Matt Cameron. However important Pearl Jam are to me, Soundgarden are equally so. Did you grab a photo with him?
    I was tempted to ask but something told me to let it go. Who knows how the band members must have been feeling. I’m sure he would have obliged though!  He’s simply the best.
    There's a reason he is called Matt Fucking Cameron. :smile: So glad that you were able meet Matt. 

Thank you for sharing your story and for reminding us all that every show really is a gift.  
    Of course and always happy to share stories with happy endings!
    Everybody enjoys a happy ending.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    VillagePJVillagePJ Peterborough, UK Posts: 195
    Just remembered during Even Flow when there was the first real signs of his voice bothering him that he thrashed the mic stand against one of the on stage speakers in frustration.
    Yes i saw him stab the mic stand at the on stage monitor but a few seconds before that he'd stood on it and it moved almost sending him tumbling off it and thats why I thought he did that.
    Several times he looked to side stage and rubbed his throat so he did an incredible job to complete night 1.....and as others have said the crowd were very very loud.

London, Hyde Park 25/6/10
    Isle of Wight 23/6/12
    London, Hammersmith 31/7/12 (EV)
    Leeds 8/7/14
    Milton Keynes 11/7/14
    London, Shepherds Bush Empire 11/11/14 (EV The Who tribute)
    Boston, Fenway Park 05/08/16
    Boston, Fenway Park 07/08/16
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    London, Hammersmith Apollo 2017 (EV)
    Taormina, Sicily June 2017 (EV)
    London, O2 Arena 18th June 2018
    London, O2 Arena 19th June 2018 :(
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,968
    Let's hope the new date is announced soon so we can start booking travel and accomodation. 

Also, I'd be happy to contact Dan Mumford if PJ are stuck for a poster artist at short notice ;-)
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    dquisenbdquisenb Posts: 3
    There is enough talent in Pearl Jam, the other members could of carried on without Eddie.  
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    Ray J. T. said:
    First time ever in band history that a show has been canceled/postponed due to illness. This alone is an amazing stat for the band considering the amount of tours they have delivered since their inception. This must have been an extremely difficult decision to make for the band. I can only imagine how they feel knowing how quite disappointing this is to some fans who have made tons of arrangements to make this show. Get better Ed. Rest up, as we all know you are going to "comeback" stronger than ever to finish off this tour strong. 
    Pearl Jam is such an amazing band!!!!! Hearts and thoughts to them.
    Be well, Eddie!!
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    dquisenb said:
    There is enough talent in Pearl Jam, the other members could of carried on without Eddie.  
    :rofl:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,805
    dquisenb said:

• Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,360
    dquisenb said:
    Wut?
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    Really hope that he will be able to sing for the italian shows. If someone have any kind of info.. please share

• Options
    thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    PJNB said:
    dquisenb said:

I'm sure Ed will be fine with some rest. I wish all the best for him. I'm guessing doctors will be called in (if it's serious) since PJ is a multi-million dollar band. My thoughts are: if one member of PJ can't continue on, then at this point the band would breakup - much like Led Zeppelin without John Bonham, or Soundgarden without Chris Cornell.
  • Options
    Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 152
    Assume/hope tenclub members will get first option at any refunded tickets for the rearranged date ?
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,866
    PJNB said:
    dquisenb said:

I'm sure Ed will be fine with some rest. I wish all the best for him. I'm guessing doctors will be called in (if it's serious) since PJ is a multi-million dollar band. My thoughts are: if one member of PJ can't continue on, then at this point the band would breakup - much like Led Zeppelin without John Bonham, or Soundgarden without Chris Cornell.
    How did this thread, topic, conversation get to the band breaking up or assuming the worse? One show gets postponed due to an illness (first time ever in band history no less), and we start to assume the worse case scenarios for the band? People start to panic and assuming this is the end of the road, or that its time that the band starts to dial it back, take it a lot easier, etc...? I agree there is no PJ without Ed, but I am sure this is nothing but a bit of bad luck and timing to come down with some sort of illness in the middle of a tour. But I don't have any doubt that Ed's health will be completely restored with some rest and hydration and we will all see a strong comeback to finish of the tour while closing the shows with 30+ songs and close to 3 hour sets. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    edited June 2018
    PJNB said:
    dquisenb said:

WUT

"Yeah, hey boss, I'm not feeling well today, I won't be coming in"
    "ok, see you tomorrow".
    *click*
    "hey everyone, hugh just quit"
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    kevtickevtic Posts: 133
    edited June 2018
    I was at night 1 and it was clear he was struggling a fair bit. Plenty of community singing songs but a few times he did let rip. Oddly it never even occurred to me he might not make night 2.  Was very disappointing news but nothing anyone could do about it.  After a brief moment to let it sink in we decided what we were going to do instead. I ended up at the Manic Street Preachers and another of us went to David Byrne.  No point in moping about it. Clearly a decision not taken lightly.

My biggest disappointment was hearing it is going to rescheduled for mid July as I'll be on holiday but that's just the way it goes.  

I doubt they will announce anything until they do the first of the Italian shows, if they can, as any further postponements it will become a logistical nightmare.  If they think Eddie is fit enough to do the rest of the tour then they can reschedule London. 

I personally think they should take a step back about the new London date as a lot of people had all sorts of commitments to yesterday and the tour who will be unable to make a new date so soon.  

Come back later in the year maybe do a few UK dates. Give people time to sort things out to make the new date. 
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Ray J. T. said:
    How did this thread, topic, conversation get to the band breaking up or assuming the worse? One show gets postponed due to an illness (first time ever in band history no less), and we start to assume the worse case scenarios for the band? People start to panic and assuming this is the end of the road, or that its time that the band starts to dial it back, take it a lot easier, etc...? I agree there is no PJ without Ed, but I am sure this is nothing but a bit of bad luck and timing to come down with some sort of illness in the middle of a tour. But I don't have any doubt that Ed's health will be completely restored with some rest and hydration and we will all see a strong comeback to finish of the tour while closing the shows with 30+ songs and close to 3 hour sets. 
    My bad, I didn't mean to start rumors - hope my comments weren't "bait" in their own way.  However, I did lead with "I'm sure Ed will be fine with some rest. I wish all the best for him". I was responding to this post:
    dquisenb said:
    I disagree, though all the band members are extremely talented. I feel some bands can't go on without their defining voice/lead singer. Other examples: Aerosmith without Steven Tyler, Red Hot Chili Peppers without Anthony Kiedis, Jane's Addiction without Perry Farrell, just wouldn't work.

Hope this clarifies my original intent. Cheers! - Ian

PS - feel real bad for PJ and all the fans who travelled to the London show.
    Post edited by thispureamericanriot on
  • Options
    Ray J. T. said:
    My bad, I didn't mean to start rumors - hope my comments weren't "bait" in their own way.  However, I did lead with "I'm sure Ed will be fine with some rest. I wish all the best for him". I was responding to this post:
    dquisenb said:
    I disagree, though all the band members are extremely talented. I feel some bands can't go on without their defining voice/lead singer. Other examples: Aerosmith without Steven Tyler, Red Hot Chili Peppers without Anthony Kiedis, Jane's Addiction without Perry Farrell, just wouldn't work.

Oh don't get me wrong, I never meant it as you were starting rumors, but I have seen quite a bit of posts assuming the worse case scenarios for the band. As if all of a sudden the direction that the band is heading in is towards the end because one show was postponed due to illness. 
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,928
    Please be kind to each other and the band. See the Posting Guidelines.
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines
  • Options
    Understood. Thanks.
  • Options
    Understood. Thanks.
    This was never a stab at you bud. Just find it strange that so many people are assuming we have come to an end or something. 
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    News from. Italy are good :)  Milan here i come tomorrow
    Enjoy Italy and onwards everyone. I saw them back in Aus in 2009 in Sydney when Ed had a terrible flu and battled with his voice. A few days later in Brisbane he was back in form. Hope that happens here and it’s nothing too serious. 

I came from South Africa only for the O2 shows and like thousands of others stood in disbelief at the news of the cancellation yesterday. I am grateful for Monday night and I really take my hat off to the band for really playing their hearts out and backing Eddie so well 
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    Ray J. T. said:
    Understood. Thanks.
    This was never a stab at you bud. Just find it strange that so many people are assuming we have come to an end or something. 
    That conversation happens every single time the band does anything even slightly out of the ordinary, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,058
    Ray J. T. said:
    PJNB said:
    dquisenb said:

Reminds me of last year when Howard Stern took his first sick day in forever. Rumors ran the gamut, and then he came back on the air the next week and told everyone to calm down. Everyone needs a  sick day every once in a while. It happens. 
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    So while I leave to go back home to South Africa with a heavy heart not knowing when I will be able to see them again as I could only do the two 02 shows, I also do take away with me Monday night’s performance which was special in its own right. It was special because each and every PJ concert is special. It was special because I really wanted Love Boat Captain and heard it for the first time after 16 shows. It was special not only because of the music and the fans, but because every PJ show is an experience like no other and like someone said, a gift-a true gift. 

Thank you Eddie for your gift and to the band for the music. Hope you get better soon and can deliver what you do best for us dedicated fans the world over. 

Hope to catch you again on the next tour.
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    hihobibo said:
    Ray J. T. said:
    PJNB said:
    dquisenb said:

Reminds me of last year when Howard Stern took his first sick day in forever. Rumors ran the gamut, and then he came back on the air the next week and told everyone to calm down. Everyone needs a  sick day every once in a while. It happens. 
    I remember that. Yes, my point exactly. The show/tour will go on, and Ed will comeback stronger to close the remaining shows out in epic fashion. 
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Ray J. T. said:
    dquisenb said:

Not the right place for this, so I’ll be brief. Let the intro for this be entered as Exhibit A for instrumental jams... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j27RmRjVdhM

RHCP would be just fine without Anthony for one show, and so would PJ. I’d have gladly listened to that for 2 hours. And short of “Neil to the rescue”, I’d love to experience a Pearl Jam “minus the pearl” some time. The trouble is that people bought PJ tix and expect a PJ show. So, they complain either way. Pretty awesome that this band cares enough that they want to make it up to their audience ASAP. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2018
    I went to Europe in 2014 and saw Ed hobbling around the stage at the Ziggo Dome. Cant remember how he was injured but he put on an awesome show.  The guy is trooper.  Hope everything will be ok guys! If not its still a nice trip around Europe :hang_loose:
This discussion has been closed.