Shows are no longer 3 hours/ less encores/less songs? Discuss

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited July 2018
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, I remember he was mad Ed put out a song about the Cubs and they were playing Wrigley Field.  My guess is there was/is some jealousy involved since he is a big Cubs fan.  He also ragged on Soundgarden for reuniting and called it a cash grab (It wasn't, and he is doing the exact same thing now).  He has also called PJ social justice warriors (is that an insult?) and has been a guest on Alex Jones' show multiple times prescribing to some way out theories.  

Regardless, I hope PJ keeps the longer shows going...especially for Seattle. 
    he has been, and I guess always will be, jealous that he didn't achieve the same amount of fame as the Big Four. he has literally stated he is the greatest songwriter of that generation. anyone who says that needs to be shamed. 
    Who’s the big four? Cornell, Vedder, cobain and?
    Staley

He's a better songwriter than Staley/Cantrell and probably edges out Cornell when it comes to writing hits.
    I have to agree with this. Not to mention that he's a better vocalist than Cobain. But hey, that is the price he's paid for being a jerk. He basically got excluded from the gang. Seems fair.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, I remember he was mad Ed put out a song about the Cubs and they were playing Wrigley Field.  My guess is there was/is some jealousy involved since he is a big Cubs fan.  He also ragged on Soundgarden for reuniting and called it a cash grab (It wasn't, and he is doing the exact same thing now).  He has also called PJ social justice warriors (is that an insult?) and has been a guest on Alex Jones' show multiple times prescribing to some way out theories.  

he has been, and I guess always will be, jealous that he didn't achieve the same amount of fame as the Big Four. he has literally stated he is the greatest songwriter of that generation. anyone who says that needs to be shamed. 
    Staley

He's a better songwriter than Staley/Cantrell and probably edges out Cornell when it comes to writing hits.
    that is obviously very subjective, but regardless, "hits" aren't what interests in me in a songwriter. what interests me is if someone can turn actualy emotion into a good song.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    I say 25 songs tonight.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

that is obviously very subjective, but regardless, "hits" aren't what interests in me in a songwriter. what interests me is if someone can turn actualy emotion into a good song.  

Then Billy is better than any of the other 4 for sure. Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie/Adore are pretty much as heart on sleeve as it gets.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

Then Billy is better than any of the other 4 for sure. Siamese Dream/Mellon Collie/Adore are pretty much as heart on sleeve as it gets.
    in your opinion. yes, those albums (well, not Adore-*ducks*) are masterpieces musically and thematically, but they just don't do emotionally to me what Dirt and Ten did. I don't really think i can capture in my head what I'm trying to say here. PJ and AIC (and Mad Season) just resonated with me more emotionally than SP did. I think it was because I found while PJ and AIC were raw emotion put to music, SP had more a produced sheen to their records (I know, I know, the same argument could be made about Ten). As much as I loved those SP records back then, I don't find I reach for them as often as I do the others, probably because of the emotional attachment. Same with Facelift. Great record. Doesn't do it for me emotionally. My most-listened to AIC record is probably Unplugged. 

Maybe we should start a separate thread on this. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

in your opinion. yes, those albums (well, not Adore-*ducks*) are masterpieces musically and thematically, but they just don't do emotionally to me what Dirt and Ten did. I don't really think i can capture in my head what I'm trying to say here. PJ and AIC (and Mad Season) just resonated with me more emotionally than SP did. I think it was because I found while PJ and AIC were raw emotion put to music, SP had more a produced sheen to their records (I know, I know, the same argument could be made about Ten). As much as I loved those SP records back then, I don't find I reach for them as often as I do the others, probably because of the emotional attachment. Same with Facelift. Great record. Doesn't do it for me emotionally. My most-listened to AIC record is probably Unplugged. 

Maybe we should start a separate thread on this. LOL

You described how I feel about the SP albums.  yeah, I better stop before I get a warning about thread integrity. :lol:

anyway. so far 28 songs in tonight's show and still going.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    lolobugg said:

Let's stop with the Billy hate and get back on topic.

How many songs will be played tonight?  30+ ?

But the Billy hate is more fun.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

Shame
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

I know this may not be popular, but if I was to pick 4 from that generation, the fourth would be Noel Gallagher
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    1979 may be the finest song ever recorded.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    Tiki said:
    God I loathe that song! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Sorry bro.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425
    I got lawn seats to see Smashing Pumpkins in August for $20! 

=)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    Tiki said:
    Sorry bro.
    All good bud. I ve just always hated it for some reason. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    lolobugg said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Staley

Shame

yep that's a great song on the "Adore" album.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Tiki said:

Tiki said:

Tiki knows!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    What is this thread about again?
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    Cherub Rock actually plays the same note over and over again for what seems like three hours.

That voice...holy shit.
  • Options
    Let me out
    Let me out
    Let me out
    Let me out
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    mr bungle said:

Smashing Pumpkins played 17 songs at their tour opener in L.A.!! Jesus Christ Pearl Jam spoils us!

It wasn’t their tour opener it was a small club show

I fucking stand corrected!  looks like Pumpkins are playin 30+ songs a night. My bad
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Man, some of you just can’t relax over SP. Fuck! Let, it, go. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    zevilone said:
    KC138045 said:
    jam more please, number of songs doesn't matter....more jamming
    Wrong!  Go to a Phish concert if you want a jam session
    looking forward to all the phish and pearl jam i will be seeing in august  :smiley:
    Where are you seeing Phish? Alpharetta, Raleigh, and Curveball for me.
    alpharetta(i live close the amph in roswell), curveball, hampton(maybe dicks too debating that or fenway PJ!)

holla!

Zev

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited July 2018
    zevilone said:
    zevilone said:
    KC138045 said:
    looking forward to all the phish and pearl jam i will be seeing in august  :smiley:
    alpharetta(i live close the amph in roswell), curveball, hampton(maybe dicks too debating that or fenway PJ!)

holla!

Zev

Wicked! Ohh you gotta do PJ Fenway over Dick’s. Even though i’ve been out twice to Dick’s and it’s always a great time. I’m roadtripping up to Alph for the shows, then meeting my gf in Raleigh for Phish and spending a couple days in the Blue Ridge Mountains for some whitewater rafting. 

Shooting up north for Curveball and PJ in Boston. Hometown is near Boston so i’ll be able to see all my old friends. Godsmack, Ozzy, and David Byrne shows in there somewhere as well lol. We should meet up if you want!

Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    Man, some of you just can’t relax over SP. Fuck! Let, it, go. 

they are destroying it on this current tour! looking forward to my 2 shows.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Can this be moved to the "other music" section of the forum?
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Tiki said:
    Cherub Rock actually plays the same note over and over again for what seems like three hours.

That voice...holy shit.
    But that opening riff when it kicks in is just amazing! I wish they'd slow it down when they play it live, the sped up version totally ruins the groove.
  • Options
    Tiki said:

That voice...holy shit.
    But that opening riff when it kicks in is just amazing! I wish they'd slow it down when they play it live, the sped up version totally ruins the groove.
    You could say the same about even flow! 
    1996-09.22; 1998-06.14,07.02,07.13,07.14,08.17,08.18; 2000-08.18,08.20,10.11,10.27,10.28; 2003-04.23,04.26,06.18,06.19,06.22; 2004-10.02,10.03,10.05; 2006-05.16,05.17,05.19,05.20,06.23,06.24; 2007-08.05; 2009-08.23,08.24,09.28,10.31; 2010-05.06,05.07; 2011-09.03,09.04; 2013-07.19; 2014-10.01; 2016-04.26,08.20,08.22; 2018-08.18, 08.20; 2022-09.17; 2023-09.05, 09.07; 2024-TBD! 
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Tiki said:

That voice...holy shit.
    You could say the same about even flow! 
    Hmm, I don't know, I think there's something special about Cherub Rock, one of the best openings to a record I say.  

Of course Even Flow rocks like a bastard though

• Options
    zevilonezevilone Posts: 339
    zevilone said:
    zevilone said:
    KC138045 said:

holla!

Zev

Wicked! Ohh you gotta do PJ Fenway over Dick’s. Even though i’ve been out twice to Dick’s and it’s always a great time. I’m roadtripping up to Alph for the shows, then meeting my gf in Raleigh for Phish and spending a couple days in the Blue Ridge Mountains for some whitewater rafting. 

Shooting up north for Curveball and PJ in Boston. Hometown is near Boston so i’ll be able to see all my old friends. Godsmack, Ozzy, and David Byrne shows in there somewhere as well lol. We should meet up if you want!

ill be in seattle the night of raleigh for PJ   cant wait!  then flying back to get ready for curve!    and def doing david byrne at the fox in atlanta

we should crush some beers   ill shoot ya my deetz in a pm