Options

World Cup 2018 Russia

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I still cannot predict the winner.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Just need France and Brazil out and all will be well.  And I hope Croatia beats Russia so bad this weekend that they separate the vodka from their piss.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Going back to Croatia vs. Denmark and Rebic being tripped from behind leading to Modric missing the penalty.
    I think the rules should be changed so that if you have a clear goal in front of you and get tripped it should be a goal.
    It is unfair when what would've been an easy tap in goal by Rebic ended up being a saved penalty.
    Thoughts?
    I think a red is enough deterrent on an intentional take down on a goal scoring opportunity. Didn’t see this but sounds like there wasn’t a red?
    Correct. For some reason IFAB changed the law this year and DOGSO, which used to require a sending off (Red Card) is now only punished with a Caution (Yellow Card). I hate that rule change, and it totally creates the incentive for a team to do just what Denmark did. A blatant, last-ditch trip to stop a sure goal, creating a penalty kick that was missed. All they received was a caution. That sort of infraction should require a sending off every single time. It is bullshit.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    They can still put a Red card along with a penalty kick, it’s just not automatic anymore and yes the danish fault deserved a red card.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    This is getting ugly.  This ref has zero control over this game.  These Colombian players are acting like whiny children...absolutely ridiculous.  
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Yeah, soccer players don't really help their cases too much against people calling them a bunch of pansies.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    This is getting ugly.  This ref has zero control over this game.  These Colombian players are acting like whiny children...absolutely ridiculous.  
    MLS ref. Well, actually PRO, but same idea. I can't stand him domestically, and I think he's in way over his head at this tournament. When he refs games here we expect to get Geigered. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    jeffbr said:
    Going back to Croatia vs. Denmark and Rebic being tripped from behind leading to Modric missing the penalty.
    I think the rules should be changed so that if you have a clear goal in front of you and get tripped it should be a goal.
    It is unfair when what would've been an easy tap in goal by Rebic ended up being a saved penalty.
    Thoughts?
    I think a red is enough deterrent on an intentional take down on a goal scoring opportunity. Didn’t see this but sounds like there wasn’t a red?
    Correct. For some reason IFAB changed the law this year and DOGSO, which used to require a sending off (Red Card) is now only punished with a Caution (Yellow Card). I hate that rule change, and it totally creates the incentive for a team to do just what Denmark did. A blatant, last-ditch trip to stop a sure goal, creating a penalty kick that was missed. All they received was a caution. That sort of infraction should require a sending off every single time. It is bullshit.
    I did not know this changed. Should be a straight red everytime 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    FUcking England! Argh
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Well that was intense 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Good!  Fuck Colombia and all their bullshit antics and whining.  Maybe if they actually played instead of complaining the whole time they would have won.
  • Options
    Colombia were a disgrace. Glad they lost.
    That ref sucked.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I wish that foam spray referees use to mark the grass doubled as OC spray. Would've been nice to see him spray it into the eyes of the Colombian players every time they got in his face.
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    MayDay10 said:
    PJWGIII said:
    This has been one awesomely bizarre and fun FIFA World Cup guys!
    Word.  I love it.  Even with no usa, its been captivating.

I think no USA makes it fun in a completely different way, you get the upside of enjoying the whole tournament without it revolving around the stresses of your own team's matches. Of course there is nothing like watching your own favorite team, but this is fun in another way.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,006
    England withdrew as soon as going level. We didn t  play well enough but man what the hell were the Colombian players doing.  They would have won in extra time if they were concentrated  on playing . Some of their  antics just shameful. That said all teams are at it. Neymar the other day let down all his young fans behaving  like he did.  It's gone too far now but remember  when football was real. And great tackles were applauded . Now people  are rolling around when nobody is touching them all the damn time
     The ref s   job is ridiculously  hard as it is . So VAR is a necessity.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    England withdrew as soon as going level. We didn t  play well enough but man what the hell were the Colombian players doing.  They would have won in extra time if they were concentrated  on playing . Some of their  antics just shameful. That said all teams are at it. Neymar the other day let down all his young fans behaving  like he did.  It's gone too far now but remember  when football was real. And great tackles were applauded . Now people  are rolling around when nobody is touching them all the damn time
    I'm looking forward to Saturday ;):) 16:00 pm. I think it will be a tough game for us.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    Cantona trolling Neymar... this is the highlight of the World Cup so far!

https://youtu.be/QJBDXwjs7P0
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    ^ ^ HAHA!
    FK Neymar, I hope Brazil lose to Belgium because of him.
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Today was a convenient day off, with the absence of exciting FIFA World Cup action, I was able to watch Wimbledon, Cubs/Tigers baseball, and one of my favorite July 4th traditions in the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest.
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    I'm looking forward to Saturday ;):) 16:00 pm. I think it will be a tough game for us.
    I'm worried about Sweden so well organised and very defensive. If we score first it will be ok but if you do. You win.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Ugh, came to a VERY slow work day today, anticipating the games being on, only to realize they are tomorrow....ugh.
  • Options
    Yeah no game days are shit. Just get used to 3 games a day and bam 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    TFlyerTFlyer DMV (dc,md,va) Posts: 881
    I will just leave this here....

...it's coming home 
  • Options
    ^^^I'm with you in spirit but in all honesty  who have we beaten
    Minnows .
    Lost to Belgium  and  the country goes ape shit with euphoria
     As nice as that is. We are not a great team by any stretch 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Be nice to see Uruguay and Belgium win today. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    TristeluneTristelune Posts: 318
    Won’t happen sorry.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    In our office competition, I've gone for Uruguay, Belgium, England, and Croatia to win this weekend. The first 2 are more 'heart over head', but we've had some strange results this year so why not!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    TFlyer said:
    I will just leave this here....

...it's coming home 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    goldrush said:
    In our office competition, I've gone for Uruguay, Belgium, England, and Croatia to win this weekend. The first 2 are more 'heart over head', but we've had some strange results this year so why not!
    I'd be pleased with that four. Replace England with Sweden and that would be fine, too.
  • Options
    Such nonsense that yellow cards carry over this long and people aren’t playing because they got 2 over 4 friggen games