Options

Light Years appreciation thread

Comments

• Options
    PhillyPJPhillyPJ Posts: 1,266
    *bump* :)
  • Options
    Light Years Atlanta 2000. on the headphones right now :)
  • Options
    much love for this song! it's right up there with "thin air" off of binaural, both exquisite in music and meaning. and that line "we were but stones, your light made us stars" - it's gorgeous. kinda how we as people just roam about but it's when love hits us that we truly shine.
  • Options
    yep. good analysis :) thanks for sharing
  • Options
    ChloeDancerChloeDancer São Paulo - SP (Brazil) Posts: 58
    It´s my favorite from Binaural...When I bought Binaural, I had never get tired to put Light Years in repeat mode....
  • Options
    it's gorgeous, no doubt. for me though i can't hear it too much, just because it does have that sad edge to it. i have to be in the right frame of mind, thin air i can hear on a loop all day though, no problem!!
  • Options
    yea Light Years is sweet. and I like the fact that they don't play it that often in concert. makes it sweeter when you do hear it Live :)
  • Options
    *bump*
  • Options
    Just beautiful

I think they should open some shows with it
  • Options
    i fell in love with this song when i listened to the st. louis boot,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    and you fell in love with donuts when you heard about the sweet 16. 20% more free
  • Options
    "it dont seem fair, we all seem to like it here" i hope this song is played at my funeral! moving stuff a pj classic
    well i woke up thismornen and i got myself a beer,
    the futures uncertain and the end is always near.
    jim morrison
  • Options
    awesome stuff :)
  • Options
    It's a light, a way to keep the dark at bay.
    He says so all the way
    Don't be sad
    it's only dad
    being a man
    being made
    perfect
    by a womans hand.

Its alright tonight for here we stay
    we will find a way so don't delay
    Just smile, you'll be okay. :)

PhillyPJ, Did you know one donut sits undigested
    in your belly for 3 days?
    YUP
  • Options
    yep and I still love Donuts anyway. :) krispy kreme
  • Options
    *bump*
  • Options
    Check out the version from this show. Ed sings the "and where ever you've gone and where ever we might go" with a totally different emphasis and inflection, it's f'ing amazing!

This makes me wonder if PJ shouldn't bring-in a more hands-on producer for an album. I'm telling ya, if Tchad Blake hears the way Eddie sings LY on this boot, he'd loose his shit. I wonder if he tried to coax Ed to sing it different or if he just let the band do it's thing. I think this song could've been a hit with different production. Not that I don't love it anyway.

As for the lyrics, memories are like star light...what you see in the sky is many years old, not unlike the way you remember old friends, truth is the image of that old friend in your mind is like the light from stars: it's radiating from the past....classic EV!

Also, I think Ed was referencing Cobain in this song. "Your light made us stars." Too straight-forward of a reference? Or so close to that it can't be anything but?
    Our love is like our music, it's here... and then it's gone.
  • Options
    They released Binaural 2 months after my Dad died. This is one if the reasons I love this band so much... Their timing is absolutely perfect. No it wasn't fair, however, a song written from the heart about something we all have to deal with, helped me alot when it came to his death and dealing with his loss. When I go to visit my Dad now, instead of looking at the dirt-laden headstone, I look up to the stars.
    Sometimes I burn like a dot on the sun with no one knowing, but you're keeping me strong, moving along with you. EV
  • Options
    wow. awesome stuff. thanks fanner and screaminhello for sharing your thoughts/stories. I've actually been lucky so far not to lose anyone really close to me. but when that time comes I'm sure this song will be part of the healing/mourning process. awesome stuff
  • Options
    Every inch between us becomes light years now.
    No time to be void or save up on life.
    Oh, you got to spend it all
  • Options
    how about some Light Years unplugged @ Benaroya and/or Bridge School? hmm? I say yes....:)
  • Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Options
    Yep, Light years is a favorite of mine too. I like the introduction Ed gave to it at the Nashville show this year. Just makes it that more special.
  • Options
    "We were but stones,but your light made us stars".

If i were a woman or gay,id marry this man.
    "Life Is one crushing defeat after another,until you just wish Flanders was dead!"
    -Homer J.Simpson
  • Options
    I love this song. hearing this unplugged would be awesome. I'm hoping they play it unplugged @ a Benefit show :)
  • Options
    I totally agree with all of you this song is just AWESOME. One of my favorites. The only time I have heard it is on the TN CD. But the first time I heard it I fell in love with it!
    ~~~jåil ßåit~~~
  • Options
    I agree :)
  • Options
    katelliskatellis Posts: 513
    edited June 2015
    --
    Post edited by katellis on
  • Options
    ChloeDancerChloeDancer São Paulo - SP (Brazil) Posts: 58
    It´s my favorite from Binaural, with Sleight of Hand also