The Noisey: The Guide to Getting into Pearl Jam

Comments

• elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    not worth the click IMO and the author doesn't get it
  • Hugo ReyesHugo Reyes Posts: 244
    that's what I thought when I read the first paragraph but reading further, its main point is that PJ has gone in a bunch of different directions over the past 25 years because they are influenced by a bunch of different types of music.  I think that's true. 
  • jamofpearlsjamofpearls Posts: 347
    I've noticed this type of writing more and more, where someone shits all over something, only to come back w/ compliments, but never really outweighs the negative.
    98-Birmingham, 00-Nashville, 03-Nashville, 12-Atlanta, 14-Memphis, 16-New Orleans, 18-Amsterdam, Night 1 & 2, 18-Seattle Night 2, 21-New Jersey, 22-Imola, 22-Nashville, 22-Louisville, 24-Baltimore
    Ed Solo: 17-Louisville
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    I've noticed this type of writing more and more, where someone shits all over something, only to come back w/ compliments, but never really outweighs the negative.
    yea I've seen that too. Some people might not get past that negative part. And being that everyone wants everything fast and quick nowadays. They might not want to read a long article.
    I miss igotid88
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,272
    Anyone who hasn't read it, he refers the The Fixer as a "lost gem." So there's that. 
  • PapPap Posts: 28,789
    The first signs that Pearl Jam were establishing their own voice came by way of “State of Love and Trust,” a song the band gave to Cameron Crowe for the soundtrack to his movie Singles. It balanced the angsty chorus primed for alt-rock radio with the classic rock riffing that Gossard and guitarist Mike McCready so freely gave themselves to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP3nzr7_K_4
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    I miss igotid88
  • dcp3ydcp3y Posts: 818
    Dad Rock!?!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    Anyone that still refers to this music as "grunge" doesn't deserve to tell you how to dive into Pearl Jam.  I'd also like to punch this guy for continually suggesting throughout the beginning of the article that Pearl Jam pleayed second fiddle.  They're the ONLY band out of the early 90's "Seattle Sound" that survived this whole fucking time.  No breakup, no sabbatical, no dysfunction, no deceased.  Albeit a line of drummers (though for only the first 7 of their now 28 years in existence), but how is that being #2 or second place or whatever this dumbass keeps saying?

Gotta agree with Michael... Chock-full of negativity covered up with come-back compliments that just don't add up to a positive article.  Seemed like the article was an assigment for this guy and he doesn't really like Pearl Jam or know much about them and was rather reluctant to learn beyond his predetermined view.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,718
    Pearl Jam vs Nirvana, LOL.  Totally irrelevant.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.