Ament: Pearl Jam does not have any immediate plans to go back into the studio.

Comments

• raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,140
    This album could be one of those releases where there is no media, hype or release date. Just ‘here it is’ for immediate stream or download. Then a physical release and vinyl a few weeks later. 
    THIS would be the best thing ever. 
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,827
    raindog80 said:
    This album could be one of those releases where there is no media, hype or release date. Just ‘here it is’ for immediate stream or download. Then a physical release and vinyl a few weeks later. 
    THIS would be the best thing ever. 
    Well it happened with the Can’t Deny Me single. No one was expecting that one! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,792

Pearl jam going Beyonce!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626

Pearl jam going Beyonce!
    Going Radiohead
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,085
    Considering they previously commented a new album is forthcoming, Aments comment is bizarre

Would it be to much to expect a clarification?
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 800
    No, the band is at the stage where they do what they want, when they want and outside of any and all traditional music release process.  Convenience is now a top propriety. 

Pearl jam going Beyonce!
    Going Radiohead

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Maybe the album will be available only at the merch tables on the Europe tour :O 
    Dbl.
    vedpunk said:
    No, the band is at the stage where they do what they want, when they want and outside of any and all traditional music release process.  Convenience is now a top propriety. 
    I agree and never doubted for a second they are going to do what they want.

To clarify his comment that apparently contradicts their "official" news of a "forthcoming" album is not asking alot of them. Takes five seconds.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,599
    They are going on tour very soon. It makes sense they are not going to be in the studio anytime in the near future whether the album is done or not. They may have a couple of songs done or just the one brought out to match the timing with the protests. I would be shocked myself if this the tour they have planned for a new album coming out. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    Considering they previously commented a new album is forthcoming, Aments comment is bizarre

It would actually. Par for the course from the fan club. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Lerxst1992 said: no

Par for the course from the coddled entertainer.

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for the clarification on the new album, which is not as "forthcoming" as the previous official band announcement indicated.

Jeff, this is for the fanbois here that will loyally defend any comment from their beloved entertainers, whether or not it's accuracy matters:

forth·com·ing
    fôrTHˈkəmiNG/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      planned for or about to happen in the near future.
      "the forthcoming baseball season"
      synonyms:imminent, impending, coming, upcoming, approaching, future;More
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    So do we think PJ has two new albums at most remaining?   That would cover the next 10-12 years of touring.  Still a long way from the kids growing up and getting out of school, so they probably aren’t too excited from a busy schedule.  

Most of us would be doing the same things as them.  Ed seems to be into the celebrity scene  more  than ever.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,905
    So do we think PJ has two new albums at most remaining?   That would cover the next 10-12 years of touring.  Still a long way from the kids growing up and getting out of school, so they probably aren’t too excited from a busy schedule.  

Most of us would be doing the same things as them.  Ed seems to be into the celebrity scene  more  than ever.
    Yah the albums seem to be getting harder for them to make.   I disagree with the comment that the tour the same album for 6 years.  At some point they've stopped touring for the previous album, and are touring without an album.    Some of the non-album tours have been my favourite.  2005, 2016 etc...
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,459
    edited May 2018
    Zod said:

Yah the albums seem to be getting harder for them to make.   I disagree with the comment that the tour the same album for 6 years.  At some point they've stopped touring for the previous album, and are touring without an album.    Some of the non-album tours have been my favourite.  2005, 2016 etc...

I don't disagree.  I think the last Lightning Bolt tour was 2013.  They play 35 songs a night and 4 or 5 at most might be from Lightning Bolt.  They've got the lightning bolt logos plastered everywhere but the concerts to me in 2014-2016 were very much non-album tours. 

My comment on the albums and touring is that they will probably continue to "tour" for at least ten more years because it is a money maker, they have staff to support, supports charitable causes, and they like doing it in moderation.  Because they want to tour they probably will feel an obligation to release a new album to avoid being a legacy act, and they probably feel that 5-6 years is enough time in between albums to still feel like a current band.  So, in my math releasing an album in 2019 and 2025 gets them to 2031 for touring and then they can retire or whatever.

It is probably a good thing they are not releasing albums every three years if their heart isn't into.  They haven't been able to fill an album with solid tunes all throughout since probably Riot Act, so if Sleeping By Myself, Yellow Moon, Records Play and Future Days made the cut this last album, who knows what B songs would be on more frequent albums.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,086
    non-album tours are pretty consistently the best for most bands. 2008 is a great example for PJ
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
    edited May 2018
    Zod said:

TWOTHOUSANDANDSEVEN EUROPEAN TOUR. FOR LIFE.

(2005 Canada tour is one for the ages too)
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    edited May 2018
    Lerxst1992 said: no

Par for the course from the coddled entertainer.
    Wouldn't I be considered 'the entertained'?

are you not entertained russell crowe GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 568
    edited May 2018
    3 years, 4 months between Pearl Jam and Backspacer
    4 years, 1 month between Backspacer and Lightning Bolt
    4 years, 7 months (and counting) between Lightning Bolt and Album #11 

Been a fan of this band for about 24 years now.  Unfortunately, for me, it feels more like a nostalgia act these days than anything else.  I think of Ed saying (at R&R Hall of Fame induction) something along the lines of being halfway done, or halfway to the honor.  It just seems so insincere.  There is almost zero proof that this band is hungry and wanting to create great music these days.  Stone made a comment a few years ago... something about music that's not as difficult as their early days, as in easier to replicate on stage.  I took it as, "We don't want to be bothered with challenging ourselves anymore."  

There's been 1 album since PJ20, and that album felt very much like the previous one, nothing people were blown away by.  I have no problem with the band doing whatever they want at whatever pace they want, but my hope would be the payoff would be worth the 5 years of waiting.  For example, Radiohead takes a while between albums (they're also at that mid-life, families, other interests portion of their lives), but they're not churning out "Sleeping By Myself" and "Let the Records Play".  It took 4+ years to get Backspacer.  It took 4 1/2 to get Backspacer Part 2,... whoops, I mean Lightning Bolt.  

I have tickets to Wrigley later this year, but Christ... I've already done that twice.  When I heard "forthcoming album", I thought, "well good, finally I'll see some shows supporting a new album".  Now it's sounding like probably not. 

Post edited by wnh1977 on
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,133
    There’s always more merch though!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    I love this band because of the music that exists, not the music that might potentially exist in the future. If we get a new album, great. If we don't but they keep touring, great. The shows are what keeps me coming back. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 90

wnh1977 said:

Been a fan of this band for about 24 years now.  Unfortunately, for me, it feels more like a nostalgia act these days than anything else.  I think of Ed saying (at R&R Hall of Fame induction) something along the lines of being halfway done, or halfway to the honor.  It just seems so insincere.  There is almost zero proof that this band is hungry and wanting to create great music these days.  Stone made a comment a few years ago... something about music that's not as difficult as their early days, as in easier to replicate on stage.  I took it as, "We don't want to be bothered with challenging ourselves anymore."  

There's been 1 album since PJ20, and that album felt very much like the previous one, nothing people were blown away by.  I have no problem with the band doing whatever they want at whatever pace they want, but my hope would be the payoff would be worth the 5 years of waiting.  For example, Radiohead takes a while between albums (they're also at that mid-life, families, other interests portion of their lives), but they're not churning out "Sleeping By Myself" and "Let the Records Play".  It took 4+ years to get Backspacer.  It took 4 1/2 to get Backspacer Part 2,... whoops, I mean Lightning Bolt.  

I have tickets to Wrigley and later this year, but Christ... I've already done that twice.  When I heard "forthcoming album", I thought, "well good, finally I'll see some shows supporting a new album".  Now it's sounding like probably not. 

gossard really stopped playing guitar when andy died. this is a guy that gets called "riff master" by the entire band and yet their guitar work is boring af. blame eddie, blame age, blame whatever helps you sleep better at night but their "simplicity" he references is exactly what turns off more than half the people i used to play this band to. i know he thinks it's cool and very neil young'sh to say, but honestly it's just lazy and he almost removes himself from even being needed on most eddie songs.

oh, almost forgot...that's just my opinion.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited May 2018
    JimmyV said:
    I love this band because of the music that exists, not the music that might potentially exist in the future. If we get a new album, great. If we don't but they keep touring, great. The shows are what keeps me coming back. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.
    Yeah, that's a good line. Me too I guess? I mean... I do wish they were still making music that I could love, sure. A new album that I think is great would be an incredible surprise .... but I love them because of what they've already done (or in spite of it since S/T, haha).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    wnh1977 said:

I have tickets to Wrigley and later this year, but Christ... I've already done that twice.  When I heard "forthcoming album", I thought, "well good, finally I'll see some shows supporting a new album".  Now it's sounding like probably not. 

Well said
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    edited May 2018
    "Forthcoming" was a bit misleading but I am happy the band cleared up the confusion regarding timing of the new album.

I agree we are down to 2-3 albums left. 

Alot of this has to do with where they are in their lives, as many have said above. It's very common for bands to lose their songwriting "edge" once they hit 40.

When bands are in their 20s and they know whether they can become wealthy stars drives many to write incredible music. It seems once they reach "stardom" it gets tougher to create.

I wonder if it is coincidental that artists who put out great albums after 40 are successful, yet not celebrity level stars.

Steven Wilson comes to mind. From interviews, it seems at 50 he still  believes he has something to prove

Also, bottom line is albums do not sell anymore. Touring does. PJ are still young enough to need to earn an income (or want to earn an income) for as many years as possible before retirement. 

The only way for them to consistently bank seven figures year after year is to hit the road. But, they want to limit their time on the road to about 25 shows per year.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,889
    edited May 2018
    JimmyV said:
    This is exactly where I'm at.  I honestly don't care when the next album comes out.  As long as I can keep seeing shows once every couple years, I'm happy

• wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 568
    I remember seeing the Rolling Stones in 2005.  I was happy to see them, of course, they were one of the legendary rock bands of all time.  But it felt like just a fun, nostalgia thing.  I think one could argue that the Stones in 2005 were like the PJ of today, granted they were about a decade older. 

When I saw the Stones in 2005, their recent history was: Dirty Work (1986) Steel Wheels (1989), Voodoo Lounge (1994), Bridges to Babylon (1997), A Bigger Bang (2005). So, 5 albums in 20 years.  Pearl Jam has released 5 albums in the last 20 years.  PJ's time between albums has steadily gone up in the past dozen years.

When I saw the Stones, they were kind of thought of as a caricature.  They were already thought of as old dudes and that is 13 years ago!  You were going to see a huge stage show, fireworks, and dudes playing their hits from a quarter-century ago.  When you go to PJ, you go to see a guy swinging from globes in a massive ballpark playing their hits from a quarter-century ago.

So, after I saw the Stones once in 2005, I had very little urge to see them again.  I mean, I would, but I wasn't going to travel a great distance or spend $250 to see a nostalgia act again.  I think I've kind of reached that point with PJ.  I get good seats with the fan club.  And ticket prices, though they've gone up, haven't gotten out of hand.  So I'll see them, but just to have a good time... watch a guy swing from the aforementioned globes, probably catch a marriage proposal on stage... but it's just a big spectacle in a ballpark these days, just like the Stones were at PNC Park in Pittsburgh in 2005.  

From a legacy standpoint, I much prefer bands who end it at the right time rather than drag out their career to cash in on touring revenue.  I think it tarnishes the legacy.  If your heart isn't in it for the right reasons, please be done with it.  I guess I have to give the obligatory, "That's just me, as a fan talking."  I know they do good with their money.  Doing a little touring allows them comfortable lives and allows them to do good deeds.  I get it.  I think what we see here on the boards is that's it's a very, very fine line to maneuver.  Many fans are saying the same things I am (except they're not quite as longwinded) :)

The Beatles studio albums came between 1963 - 1970.  Zeppelin's studio albums came between 1969 - 1979  (1982 if you count Coda).  Roger Waters felt Pink Floyd was a "spent force" after The Final Cut, so he was fine with it ending after a run of 1967 - 1983.  "Spent force"... sorry, that's what PJ is for me today.   That's what the Stones were for me in 2005. That's what The Who has been for as long as I remember... seriously, Pete and Roger are still going on under the very lucrative title, "The Who"?  I bet research has shown that a "Townshend/Daltrey" moniker wouldn't sell as well.  
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 779
    JimmyV said:
    This is exactly where I'm at.  I honestly don't care when the next album comes out.  As long as I can keep seeing shows once every couple years, I'm happy

Such the opposite for me but I realize I’m way in the minority.  I’d rather have new songs over new tour dates.