Options

NOT FOR YOU...(more like not for youngsters)

13»

Comments

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Yeah they all have good PJ music included, and a few choice words along the way.  I never thought any of it was over the top.  None of them are saturated with profanity.  A little here and a little there.  My kids don't notice/mind.
    Nothing new.

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    myoung321 said:
    If your'e worried about your kids hearing the word "fuck", then you have a long bumpy road ahead my friend... 

Seriously, God help you if you're fretting over kids being exposed to cursing, God help us all if this is really a major issue in childhood development.  
  • Options
    enfuego15enfuego15 Indianapolis Posts: 18
    I prefer the way Ed yields the "F bomb" over a majority of other musicians blasting through popular streaming radio currently. Know your audience!
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - PJ20 Night 1, PJ20 Night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Lexington, Chicago Night 1, Chicago Night 2
    2017 - EV - Louisville
    2018 - Chicago Night 2

• Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,006
    edited March 2018
    Fuck have you heard the music teens are listening to. The word fuck is tame.  Derogatory to women
     Boasting about guns money and drugs. Give me a "fuck" anyday. Haha
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,077
    OP, I hear ya. I'd recommend something a little more kid-friendly like Use Your Illusion II.
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    pjl44 said:
    OP, I hear ya. I'd recommend something a little more kid-friendly like Use Your Illusion II.
    Hahaha. "Get in the Ring" a children's classic!
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    edited April 2018
    This could have been a classic moment except for the damn F word. https://youtu.be/VXMi5wNW17g

Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    RYME said:
    Yeah they all have good PJ music included, and a few choice words along the way.  I never thought any of it was over the top.  None of them are saturated with profanity.  A little here and a little there.  My kids don't notice/mind.
    Nothing new.

Just don't listen to the quarter rant from Mansfield '98.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited April 2018
    I don't get all the flack the OP is getting. And the sarcastic examples of turning out okay, even after hearing foul language as a kid.
    What happened to common courtesy? I think it is very rude to play foul language in front of other people's children. Its rude and inconsiderate to go to a baseball game, sit in front of a group of kids and yell the f-word at the umpires all game.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to censor stuff for children. In fact, it's rude not to when they aren't your kids. Let their parent make that decision what they want to expose them to.
    I certainly won't be playing any PJ bootlegs at my kid's 4th birthday party in 2 weeks with other 4-year-olds around. That would just be rude. I'll play it with just him, it doesn't bother me at this point, but why should I make that decision for all the other parents?
    Of course they are going to hear 100 times worse in a public school cafeteria, that doesn't mean you can't censor at home.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

^^ Not sure anyone said anything about cursing in public with Kids around. Are we not just talking about Ed and his use of the language?

I personally have an on/off switch for when I throw down an F-bomb (thank god).

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    Usually at dinner I put this video on the smart tv and we all sing along to it as we eat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2lG8KVRf0
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    The world doesn't need to change just because some people chose to have children. We all know what the language is like at a Pearl Jam show. The OP knew what the language is like at a Pearl Jam show. It is the OP's fault and the OP's fault alone if they decided to play a recording of a show in front of their kids and the kids heard words the OP felt they shouldn't have. It isn't Eddie's fault. It isn't Pearl Jam's fault. It is the parent's fault. Full stop.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,873
    mace1229 said:
    I don't get all the flack the OP is getting. And the sarcastic examples of turning out okay, even after hearing foul language as a kid.
    What happened to common courtesy? I think it is very rude to play foul language in front of other people's children. Its rude and inconsiderate to go to a baseball game, sit in front of a group of kids and yell the f-word at the umpires all game.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to censor stuff for children. In fact, it's rude not to when they aren't your kids. Let their parent make that decision what they want to expose them to.
    I certainly won't be playing any PJ bootlegs at my kid's 4th birthday party in 2 weeks with other 4-year-olds around. That would just be rude. I'll play it with just him, it doesn't bother me at this point, but why should I make that decision for all the other parents?
    Of course they are going to hear 100 times worse in a public school cafeteria, that doesn't mean you can't censor at home.
    I think what people are reacting to is the line, "I never thought I'd have to censor pearl jam" because it's not like Eddie cursing is a new thing.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    I don't really agree with the original post. I agree with you that  Ed cussing isn't new, and it isn't Ed's fault. At this point, anyone playing a boot should know what to expect.
    It just seemed to me that several comments were criticizing those who still want to censor stuff for children. That's the part I didn't get or agree with. Probably 10 or more posts mocking the idea of censoring stuff for children. If someone doesn't want to censor stuff for their kids then great. But why put down the idea of censoring someone else's kid?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    There are so many things in this world that are worse than a few fucks and shits that kids get exposed to...
    For instance, the shits to which my children have exposed me -- just vile. :sick:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,077
    mace1229 said:
    Might have something to do with calling it “sad” that Ed says fuck still?  And the “what a shame” line?  Pretty ridiculous comments to make about a rock star wouldn’t you say?  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247
    mcgruff10 said:
    Usually at dinner I put this video on the smart tv and we all sing along to it as we eat:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2lG8KVRf0
     Yes! I didn't know they had this sing along version. I love the end with the words getting bigger. Haha!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Kudos for having kids that are shocked at cussing...well brought up...but a bit naive I think to be offended by a random curse word...
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I always told my daughter that I'd take her to her first Pearl Jam show when she's 8. She'll be 8 in a week, so I've been testing out bootlegs and live videos on her. Without fail, she always reacts to the cuss words with a giggle or other such silly overreaction. I tell her if she can't handle hearing cuss words in a more mature fashion, she'll just have to wait a few more years for her first Pearl Jam show and I'll take her mom to both nights at Fenway.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    mace1229 said:
    I don't really agree with the original post. I agree with you that  Ed cussing isn't new, and it isn't Ed's fault. At this point, anyone playing a boot should know what to expect.
    It just seemed to me that several comments were criticizing those who still want to censor stuff for children. That's the part I didn't get or agree with. Probably 10 or more posts mocking the idea of censoring stuff for children. If someone doesn't want to censor stuff for their kids then great. But why put down the idea of censoring someone else's kid?
    The OP is the one that didn't censor it for his kid. I think most comments you reference (including mine) hint at the fact that a kid hearing the word "fuck" isn't really that big of a deal. So freaking about your own mistake when freaking isn't the proportionately reasonable response is a double down on something that doesn't warrant a post in the first place
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,867
     Makes you think sometimes reading these threads with what the OP is posing, Are people posting these conversations new fans? Nothing here is new about Ed or the band. What has changed since 1991? I personally think one of the things that have made them one of the greatest bands ever is that they have always stayed true, true to themselves, their views, beliefs, and everything they fight for. Why are people hoping that things would change now?
  • Options
    dmaradona10dmaradona10 Posts: 897
    Ray J. T. said:
     Makes you think sometimes reading these threads with what the OP is posing, Are people posting these conversations new fans? Nothing here is new about Ed or the band. What has changed since 1991? I personally think one of the things that have made them one of the greatest bands ever is that they have always stayed true, true to themselves, their views, beliefs, and everything they fight for. Why are people hoping that things would change now?
    Also, it's a fuckin' rock-n-roll band for fucks sake.
    Las Cruces, NM Pan Am Center September 14, 1995
    Albuquerque, NM Tingley Coliseum July 7, 1998
    New York City, NY MSG May 20, 2010
    Eddie Vedder Solo Albuquerque, NM November 9, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    LA Nov. 23: 24, 2013
    Denver 10-22-14
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,867
    Ray J. T. said:
    Also, it's a fuckin' rock-n-roll band for fucks sake.
    Exactly.