Options

2024 NASCAR Season!!! Starts on pg 13.

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Just wanted to share Bubba Wallace’s paint scheme for tomorrow night’s race at Martinsville.

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The #43 needs only two colors to make it right.

I dig that tomorrow it is black and white.

Not a huge racing fan but my old man loved it and my son lives it so I am getting back into who the drivers are.  Not sure if it is his cars or what but dude has sucked in the races I watched.  Hopefully the BLM 43 kicks ass 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029

Not a huge racing fan but my old man loved it and my son lives it so I am getting back into who the drivers are.  Not sure if it is his cars or what but dude has sucked in the races I watched.  Hopefully the BLM 43 kicks ass 
    The 43 team has been awful since Richard Petty retired and that is a looooong time, lol.

Cool car.  Cool design.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802

The 43 team has been awful since Richard Petty retired and that is a looooong time, lol.

Cool car.  Cool design.
    I noted the Camero on the tail.

get back in a Charger.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I CAN'T believe NASCAR banned Confederate flags!
    I CAN believe there are some seriously pissed off redneck hillbilly cliches lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    rgambs said:

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

I love it, thanks for sharing, lol!

Glad Bubba had his best finish at Martinsville tonight (in the cup series, it was mentioned he won here twice in the truck series). Hoping he continues to improve, I’ve enjoyed watching him the last couple years.

While I’ve often been mocked for being a fan of nascar, right now I’m actually feeling a bit proud to be a supporter.

• Options
    It's nice to see love for Bubba Wallace now but he's been around for a bit. 

Another African American has been involved in the sport for 25 years and doesn't get enough recognition is part owner of JTG Daugherty Racing.  A former NBA player whom once played beside the great Michael Jordan.  His name is Brad Daugherty.  Brad was an analyst and I got to watch when his team, for the first time, made the Cup playoffs with racer Almindinger.  They showed Brad in the booth with Rusty Wallace I believe, celebrating.

Good stuff.

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited June 2020
    "But it's our HERITAGE!!" -  Have a 2 minute conversation and most of those confederate flag waving idiots and you'll soon realize they have no clue. That flag they call their sacred "Confederate Flag", is in fact, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.. Not the flag of the entire  Confederacy. 

The Army of Northern Virginia was the primary military force of the Confederate States of America in the Eastern Theater of the American Civil War. It was also the primary command structure of the Department of Northern Virginia. It was most often arrayed against the Union Army of the Potomac.
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    myoung321 said:
    "But it's our HERITAGE!!" -  Have a 2 minute conversation and most of those confederate flag waving idiots and you'll soon realize they have no clue. That flag they call their sacred "Confederate Flag", is in fact, the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.. Not the flag of the entire  Confederacy. 

The Army of Northern Virginia was the primary military force of the Confederate States of America in the Eastern Theater of the American Civil War. It was also the primary command structure of the Department of Northern Virginia. It was most often arrayed against the Union Army of the Potomac.
    This isn't even worth arguing because the people that say "it's heritage" really mean that and don't think of it as racist at all.

NASCAR rep said today that "banning that flag is not closing a door on something, it's opening one."  That is classy.

I forgot who said it and will give him credit when I remember.
  • Options
    myoung321 said:

This isn't even worth arguing because the people that say "it's heritage" really mean that and don't think of it as racist at all.

NASCAR rep said today that "banning that flag is not closing a door on something, it's opening one."  That is classy.

I have to say, if you believe that, then you have powers of self-deception to rival theirs.  The heritage line is a bullshit veneer people smear on themselves so thick they forget what's underneath.  They say this and they say that, and in the end they can sleep at night comfortable as people who are clearly racist but (as is so common) don't think of themselves as racist at all.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    myoung321 said:

I have to say, if you believe that, then you have powers of self-deception to rival theirs.  The heritage line is a bullshit veneer people smear on themselves so thick they forget what's underneath.  They say this and they say that, and in the end they can sleep at night comfortable as people who are clearly racist but (as is so common) don't think of themselves as racist at all.
    I speak from experience and sorry you don't agree but that is how it is for a lot of people.  Tradition is a tough thing to break.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    myoung321 said:

I speak from experience and sorry you don't agree but that is how it is for a lot of people.  Tradition is a tough thing to break.

Right, traditions are hard to break, I agree.  Casual racism doesn't go away easily, especially if it isn't confronted head-on.  Holding on to symbols of hate like the Confederacy and convincing yourself you are somehow aloof from that systemic hatred is some serious self-delusion.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    myoung321 said:

I didn’t see the flag as racist until much later in life because my first association was with the car from Dukes Of Hazzard. Growing up watching the show I can’t recall the Duke family ever acting in a racist way.

As I said, later on I came to understand the symbolism/connotations of the flag, but I’m still glad I have a model of the car that I grew up with (a few years ago the company that owns the franchise announced the flag would no longer appear on the car). I honestly don’t think that makes me racist in any way, but do allow how some might think so in this current environment.

I did get a laugh in the movie when the boys were driving into the city and were (rightfully today) drawing some harsh looks.

• Options
    I just want to circle back to my last post (thought of adding this as an edit but prefer a separate post). I realized my tone may have come across as a bit flippant and caused some degree of offence, which was not my intent.

All one can do in this circumstance (in my opinion) is to speak from their own perspective which was what I was trying to do. If I struck the wrong tone in my words I apologize. It’s an incredibly polarized world right now and while I don’t agree with being muted because I’m a white male, it doesn’t mean I don’t need to be mindful more than ever.

This was bugging me all night but I’d gone and gotten baked so didn’t want to make it worse by posting stoned, lol.

I’ll shut up now until the cars are back rolling on the weekend, thanks for reading.

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Y'all need to stop posting these stories.  No one gives a shit.  I'm happy w what NASCAR is doing right now and it detracts it from these idiots.
  • Options
    I just want to circle back to my last post (thought of adding this as an edit but prefer a separate post). I realized my tone may have come across as a bit flippant and caused some degree of offence, which was not my intent.

All one can do in this circumstance (in my opinion) is to speak from their own perspective which was what I was trying to do. If I struck the wrong tone in my words I apologize. It’s an incredibly polarized world right now and while I don’t agree with being muted because I’m a white male, it doesn’t mean I don’t need to be mindful more than ever.

This was bugging me all night but I’d gone and gotten baked so didn’t want to make it worse by posting stoned, lol.

I’ll shut up now until the cars are back rolling on the weekend, thanks for reading.
    I never knew it was racist until my 20's so don't feel bad.
  • Options

Thanks, I appreciate that.

On another note, who else was happy to see Dale Jr. back behind the wheel this afternoon?

• Options

Thanks, I appreciate that.

On another note, who else was happy to see Dale Jr. back behind the wheel this afternoon?
    Most popular driver for like 12 years in a row and won one race?

Not a fan but good for the sport.

I have stories on Dale Jr too.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
     cdthomas1981 said:
    Y'all need to stop posting these stories.  No one gives a shit.  I'm happy w what NASCAR is doing right now and it detracts it from these idiots.
    Fair enough, I’ll keep politics off of here.  I support NASCAR not flying the confederate flag as well.  If someone is so passionate about having it present, then paint your car in it.  That’s your right to do so, you’ll just be judged in a negative light.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    It's a NASCAR thread and a relevant topic, no?

Like not talking about players v owners in the MLB thread or not talking about kneeling in the NFL thread.

Interesting that today's race is sponsored by Dixie Vodka.
    The website went to great lengths to add verbiage to try and avoid any issues.

I haven't tried Dixie Vodka....as a vodka lover their sponsorship made me aware of their product.

My five year old says Denny Hamlin is going win.
    Or Clint Bowyer
    Or William Byron.
    Or Kevin Harvick.
    Or 88.  Alex Bowman.

As only a five year old (or a @Wobbie) can he seemingly roots for half of the darn teams.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772
    :rofl:
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    It's a NASCAR thread and a relevant topic, no?

Like not talking about players v owners in the MLB thread or not talking about kneeling in the NFL thread.

Interesting that today's race is sponsored by Dixie Vodka.
    The website went to great lengths to add verbiage to try and avoid any issues.

I haven't tried Dixie Vodka....as a vodka lover their sponsorship made me aware of their product.

My five year old says Denny Hamlin is going win.
    Or Clint Bowyer
    Or William Byron.
    Or Kevin Harvick.
    Or 88.  Alex Bowman.

As only a five year old (or a @Wobbie) can he seemingly roots for half of the darn teams.
    It's ok to root for multiple drivers.  Nothing wrong w that.  I appreciate the sport.

Oh and your kid ended up being right about Hamlin.  I'd take him to vegas, but I'd question the Bowman pick...
  • Options
    Dixie means the south and no other definition should derive from it.
  • Options
    So yesterdays highlights!

Congrats to Denny Hamlin on the win and team Jordan.  His look and "I don't know" pose with his hands up was supposed to be a homage to Jordan after he hit all those 3's in the playoffs.

My boy Byron got a top 10 finish and was 9th.

Mr Wallace was 13th.

Earnhardt Jr raced Saturday if you care, he got 5th.  Most likely won't see that ever again so hopefully you enjoyed it.

NASCAR's statement on the Confederate Flag
    https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2020/06/10/nascar-statement-on-confederate-flag/
  • Options
    Ha, yeah the little bugger was very excited his racer won.
  • Options

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  It's used in the same way the Confederate flag is used, as a provocative call-back rather than a contemporary reference.  You just don't see people using either one for any but two reasons, which are to express an inherently racist nostalgia for pre-Civil Rights eras, or to troll those who are sensitive to inherently racist symbols of pre-Civil Rights eras.  The symbols of the old south are obviously and understandably controversial, and this being universally known renders their use deliberately antagonistic.  Why be antagonistic in defense of a culture of racism and slavery?  Is owning the libs so important that it's ok to align yourself with white supremacy and adorn yourself in symbols of white supremacy?  
    If so, then it should be understood by all that this is an extension of the culture of hatred.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  It's used in the same way the Confederate flag is used, as a provocative call-back rather than a contemporary reference.  You just don't see people using either one for any but two reasons, which are to express an inherently racist nostalgia for pre-Civil Rights eras, or to troll those who are sensitive to inherently racist symbols of pre-Civil Rights eras.  The symbols of the old south are obviously and understandably controversial, and this being universally known renders their use deliberately antagonistic.  Why be antagonistic in defense of a culture of racism and slavery?  Is owning the libs so important that it's ok to align yourself with white supremacy and adorn yourself in symbols of white supremacy?  
    If so, then it should be understood by all that this is an extension of the culture of hatred.
    When I was in Florida I shopped at Winn Dixie because it was close to me and thought nothing of it.

When I heard of Dixie Vodka I thought it was made in the south because who in the north would call it that when it doesn't have anything to do with the north?

Then you have you whom brought race into it.

Never in my life have I associated the term dixie with a racist tie...  Sometimes you can overshoot things.