Options

2024 NASCAR Season!!! Starts on pg 13.

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    There is this way to look at it....if they were naming the company tomorrow would they pick Dixie Vodka?
    Never, would be my answer.

A whole new world.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Dixie means the south and no other definition should derive from it.

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  It's used in the same way the Confederate flag is used, as a provocative call-back rather than a contemporary reference.  You just don't see people using either one for any but two reasons, which are to express an inherently racist nostalgia for pre-Civil Rights eras, or to troll those who are sensitive to inherently racist symbols of pre-Civil Rights eras.  The symbols of the old south are obviously and understandably controversial, and this being universally known renders their use deliberately antagonistic.  Why be antagonistic in defense of a culture of racism and slavery?  Is owning the libs so important that it's ok to align yourself with white supremacy and adorn yourself in symbols of white supremacy?  
    If so, then it should be understood by all that this is an extension of the culture of hatred.
    When I was in Florida I shopped at Winn Dixie because it was close to me and thought nothing of it.

When I heard of Dixie Vodka I thought it was made in the south because who in the north would call it that when it doesn't have anything to do with the north?

Then you have you whom brought race into it.

Never in my life have I associated the term dixie with a racist tie...  Sometimes you can overshoot things.
    Didn't you also say that you lived most of your life without associating the Confederate flag with racism? 
    Seems more like you are undershooting.  I get it, you have family and friends that hold to these symbols and they are good people.  My grandparents were good people too, doesn't mean they weren't racist.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.  It's used in the same way the Confederate flag is used, as a provocative call-back rather than a contemporary reference.  You just don't see people using either one for any but two reasons, which are to express an inherently racist nostalgia for pre-Civil Rights eras, or to troll those who are sensitive to inherently racist symbols of pre-Civil Rights eras.  The symbols of the old south are obviously and understandably controversial, and this being universally known renders their use deliberately antagonistic.  Why be antagonistic in defense of a culture of racism and slavery?  Is owning the libs so important that it's ok to align yourself with white supremacy and adorn yourself in symbols of white supremacy?  
    If so, then it should be understood by all that this is an extension of the culture of hatred.
    When I was in Florida I shopped at Winn Dixie because it was close to me and thought nothing of it.

When I heard of Dixie Vodka I thought it was made in the south because who in the north would call it that when it doesn't have anything to do with the north?

Never in my life have I associated the term dixie with a racist tie...  Sometimes you can overshoot things.
    Didn't you also say that you lived most of your life without associating the Confederate flag with racism? 
    Seems more like you are undershooting.  I get it, you have family and friends that hold to these symbols and they are good people.  My grandparents were good people too, doesn't mean they weren't racist.
    You come up w crazy conclusions.  You and Halifax would get along well.  
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Maybe you are right, maybe 100 years of Confederacy worship by the KKK isn't enough, maybe after 200 years it won't be crazy to conclude that the symbols all racists use are racist lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I think it is a generally accepted association.  (Stars and bars with racist attitudes)
    Does not mean that anyone who associates other things with the secession is a cross burner but the association is there.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Maybe you are right, maybe 100 years of Confederacy worship by the KKK isn't enough, maybe after 200 years it won't be crazy to conclude that the symbols all racists use are racist lol
    All this derived from the word dixie?  Got it!
  • Options
    No I think Dixie was a throw in.
    It spun from the flag banning story.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Disgusting to read this happened, but a good response from Wallace.

Sad to also read some people chose to try and flaunt the ban on the Confederate flag, hopefully they all got soaked and won’t be appearing tomorrow.

https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/29345568/nascar-says-noose-found-bubba-wallace-garage-talladega

"The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    Hillary was right.  Deplorables.  So much hate.
  • Options
    The great Richard Petty spoke in defense of Bubba Wallace.

I'm watching now and every driver walked w Bubba Wallace including Richard Petty pushing his car.

Every crew member is with him too.  

Beautiful moment in this sport right now but it should never have had to happen.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    It'll take the "bigger" voices of each sport to help transcend the way in which we carry ourselves.  I'm glad to see Michael Jordan speak up, Patrick Mahomes and Richard Petty.  The more those type of voices step up, the better.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    It'll take the "bigger" voices of each sport to help transcend the way in which we carry ourselves.  I'm glad to see Michael Jordan speak up, Patrick Mahomes and Richard Petty.  The more those type of voices step up, the better.
    Did you not see the video that Jimmy Johnson put together w every big name driver today?  NASCAR is doing the right thing.  More and more people will be stepping up.  This is only the begining.
  • Options
    NASCAR update... Rain delay.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Did you not see the video that Jimmy Johnson put together w every big name driver today?  NASCAR is doing the right thing.  More and more people will be stepping up.  This is only the begining.
    No I haven't, but just to be clear I'm not criticizing NASCAR.  It's trying to suppress those who can't let go of their White Privilege ways.  Hearing someone like Richard Petty stand up for equality will make the voices of hate sound even more ignorant. 

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    No I haven't, but just to be clear I'm not criticizing NASCAR.  It's trying to suppress those who can't let go of their White Privilege ways.  Hearing someone like Richard Petty stand up for equality will make the voices of hate sound even more ignorant. 

Search the previous page.  I posted it.  It's a good watch.
  • Options
    Ryan Blaney wins one hell of a finish.  Just edging out Stenhouse Jr..

Almirola finished 3rd going backwards, lol!

Bubba came over to thank his buddy Blaney and also to say "hello" to some fans that came out to support him.

My boy Byron had a short lived lead and came in 11th.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Turns out the noose incident was a big nothing...

No charges will be filed.

noose was there in October ‘19 and was not directed at bubba Wallace.

it was a garage door pull rope made to look like a noose...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Turns out the noose incident was a big nothing...

No charges will be filed.

noose was there in October ‘19 and was not directed at bubba Wallace.

it was a garage door pull rope made to look like a noose...

All great news.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    edited June 2020
    hmm. so its was known to have been there since sometime last year. Why then was it not changed. Who assigns garages to teams and was it known by that office or staff that the noose was there.

edit. we are told it was a noose. Id like to see pictures.
    its possible/probable this was looped back on itself to get it out of the way.

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    hmm. so its was known to have been there since sometime last year. Why then was it not changed. Who assigns garages to teams and was it known by that office or staff that the noose was there.

edit. we are told it was a noose. Id like to see pictures.
    its possible/probable this was looped back on itself to get it out of the way.

NASCAR doesn't need a scandal or to have an agenda.  The sport is headed in the right direction and doesn't need bullshit coming from stuff.

They investigated and this is the conclusion.

I ask everyone to read up on what Wallce had to say about the findings.  Dude seems humble IMHO.
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Not just you but many people called it a hoax, wanted proof, were skeptical, which I can understand to a point.  I've said before that there was no need for NASCAR or Wallace to have an agenda.
    They show the pic of the noose and anyone that doubted it I have heard squat from, at least you mention it was a moose and posted the link.

I guess I am a slight bit sensitive with this one...
  • Options
    I said moose, lol...
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Not just you but many people called it a hoax, wanted proof, were skeptical, which I can understand to a point.  I've said before that there was no need for NASCAR or Wallace to have an agenda.
    They show the pic of the noose and anyone that doubted it I have heard squat from, at least you mention it was a moose and posted the link.

given how quickly bullshit garbage spreads on the internet I try to question most things.

they looked at 11 garages. 10 had a simple loop as a pull. hell my companies facilities are nothing but overhead doors. ALL ours have a knot tied. Everywhere I have ever worked with overhead doors were knotted.

saw pics posted from that evil space known as twitter that showed the loop described BEFORE  officials released images trying to discredit or call bullshit.

picked a bad time to have been assigned that particular stall. I still want to know how stalls are assigned for a given race. in general or track specific.

I do think nascar shouldn't have tried to walk back or amend theor initial statement to include "alledged" noose.  that isnt anything other than a noose.  The question was , was it intended for Wallace. I appreciate his acceptance of the findings.

Am I mistaken that he is the first or only since Wendell Scott to run nascar? at least in the modern era certainly.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

given how quickly bullshit garbage spreads on the internet I try to question most things.

they looked at 11 garages. 10 had a simple loop as a pull. hell my companies facilities are nothing but overhead doors. ALL ours have a knot tied. Everywhere I have ever worked with overhead doors were knotted.

saw pics posted from that evil space known as twitter that showed the loop described BEFORE  officials released images trying to discredit or call bullshit.

picked a bad time to have been assigned that particular stall. I still want to know how stalls are assigned for a given race. in general or track specific.

I do think nascar shouldn't have tried to walk back or amend theor initial statement to include "alledged" noose.  that isnt anything other than a noose.  The question was , was it intended for Wallace. I appreciate his acceptance of the findings.

Am I mistaken that he is the first or only since Wendell Scott to run nascar? at least in the modern era certainly.

Correct about Wendell Scott.  Fair points about the rest.

When Wallace came on the scene I had mentioned him here but not by his race.  I was hoping that people would root for him.

People seem to be doing that now.

Enjoy the sport.  It really is fun.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

'cept it's not really a sport :wink:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

'cept it's not really a sport :wink:
    OK Boomer...