March For Our Lives - Parkland Students Demanding Action

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    unsung said:
    They are being used as pawns, marching to eliminate their rights, to give bad people control.
    How would you know this ? Who put them up too it ? You really believe 16&17 yr old kids can’t come up with this movement on their own ? ..
    That’s how I can tell your not a parent ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,592
    rgambs said:
    This thread is more proof that we need mental health assessments for firearm purchases lol
    "Old man yells at cloud" sums it up pretty perfectly.

I actually do think the students should be punished though.
    The whole point of civil disobedience is that you break the rules knowingly and you accept the consequences willingly.
    The kids should be given Saturday detention, en masse.  Then the school should flip it around and bring in speakers to present an argument for both sides of the issue, go home and everyone is better off for it.
    I'm making my son write a short paper inn ent he did it and explain the change he is advocating and give it to the teacher whose class he left.  It happens to be govt so worked out perfectly.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,412
    unsung said:
    They are being used as pawns, marching to eliminate their rights, to give bad people control.
    Antifa made them do it.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    unsung said:loop
    Antifa made them do it.
    No.....the govt. made them do it.
    And that's because anyone with less than half a brain knows that the public school system is just a venue for the govt. to brainwash children.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2018
    unsung said:
    I couldn’t care less about the older students standing up for what they believe and deciding to suffer the consequences of skipping school as long as they are not disrupting the education of those choosing not to participate.  If they do not suffer consequences, I think it would be discriminatory if a child protested for a different cause or apposing view and did suffer repercussions.  
    When I see pictures of elementary aged children carrying the protest signs around or “skipping”, though, the word that comes to mind is “exploitation”.  I am not okay with exploiting children for any means and believe it is a form of child abuse.  
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    I couldn’t care less about the older students standing up for what they believe and deciding to suffer the consequences of skipping school as long as they are not disrupting the education of those choosing not to participate.  If they do not suffer consequences, I think it would be discriminatory if a child protested for a different cause or apposing view and did suffer repercussions.  
    When I see pictures of elementary aged children carrying the protest signs around or “skipping”, though, the word that comes to mind is “exploitation”.  I am not okay with exploiting children for any means and believe it is a form of child abuse.  
    How would you know if the so called kids are being exploited with out knowing if the parents are the ones who put them up to it , as it stands your opinion is just that an opinion..
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    How would you know if the so called kids are being exploited with out knowing if the parents are the ones who put them up to it , as it stands your opinion is just that an opinion..
    It is totally just my opinion, as yours is. Whether or not their parents put them up to it, elementary and middle school aged children should not be allowed to skip to protest (in my opinion) and it is exploitation.  
    If their parents specifically take them out of school, then the parents are responsible for whatever they are doing or wherever they are going.  I still feel that it is exploitation to parade a child around that does not fully grasp the situation.  
    As a parent, though, if the school freely allowed my child to walk out the doors of the school to a non-school related event (such as a protest) without my written permission, I would probably sue the shit out of them.  They are responsible for my child’s safety when there and letting them go to a non-school sponsored protest is not ensuring their safety.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Disturbing to see Dylan Roof's sister showing some of the same mindset. I can well imagine that life hasn't been easy for her, especially given what her brother is known for, but this isn't the way you would hope it would go.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/dylann-roof-sister-arrested-weapons-national-walkout_us_5aa9e32ee4b0f4aaa1137c79

The younger sister of Dylann Roof, the convicted mass murderer who killed nine people at a historic black church in South Carolina, was arrested Wednesday for allegedly bringing weapons to her school on the same day the National Student Walkout was planned.

Morgan Roof, an 18-year-old student of A.C. Flora High School in Columbia, South Carolina, was charged with possession of marijuana and two counts of carrying weapons on school grounds, according to The State newspaper.

An administrator at the school alerted a school resource officer that a student on campus had made a threatening and racist Snapchat post and brought pepper spray and a knife to school. The Richland County Sheriff’s Department later confirmed that the student was Morgan Roof.

Roof’s Snapchat post criticized her schoolmates at Flora High for participating in the nationwide student walkouts in protest of gun violence on Wednesday. The protests were being held on the one-month anniversary of a horrific mass shooting that left 17 dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

“I hope it’s a trap and y’all get shot,” Roof wrote of the protest at her school, according to a screenshot of her Snapchat post.

“We know it’s fixing to be nothing but black people walkin out anyway".

Roof’s racist post was especially disturbing considering the heinous crimes of her brother, who is an avowed white supremacist.

In June 2015, Dylann Roof walked into the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston and opened fire on a Bible study group. He killed nine people. The 22-year-old shooter was found guilty on 33 federal charges and sentenced to death.

One of Dylann Roof’s friends told investigators that he hoped the massacre would start a race war.

In a letter to students, parents and faculty, Principal Susan Childs said that a student’s social media post caused “quite a disruption” on campus. Childs’ letter did not identify Morgan Roof but described her post as a “hateful message” that was “extremely inappropriate.”

Chris Slick, a neighbor of the Roofs, told The Post and Courier that Morgan Roof wasn’t hateful.

“Tragedy has struck this family again,” Slick told the newspaper. 

“This is not the Morgan I knew. She didn’t hate people. She didn’t have prejudices like this — in fact, I witnessed the opposite,” he added. “I hope that one day, one day she finds peace and seeks forgiveness for what she did today. I cannot say I wish the same for her brother.”

In a series of tweets, Gov. Henry McMaster said that “potential tragedy was avoided” at Flora High on Wednesday. He also called on the state General Assembly to pass legislation requiring police officers to be present at every school.  

Law enforcement officials took Morgan Roof to the Richland County Detention Center, according to CBS affiliate WLTX 19. She was released on a $5,000 bond with the condition that she not return to school.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Disturbing to see Dylan Roof's sister showing some of the same mindset. I can well imagine that life hasn't been easy for her, especially given what her brother is known for, but this isn't the way you would hope it would go.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/dylann-roof-sister-arrested-weapons-national-walkout_us_5aa9e32ee4b0f4aaa1137c79

The younger sister of Dylann Roof, the convicted mass murderer who killed nine people at a historic black church in South Carolina, was arrested Wednesday for allegedly bringing weapons to her school on the same day the National Student Walkout was planned.

Morgan Roof, an 18-year-old student of A.C. Flora High School in Columbia, South Carolina, was charged with possession of marijuana and two counts of carrying weapons on school grounds, according to The State newspaper.

An administrator at the school alerted a school resource officer that a student on campus had made a threatening and racist Snapchat post and brought pepper spray and a knife to school. The Richland County Sheriff’s Department later confirmed that the student was Morgan Roof.

Roof’s Snapchat post criticized her schoolmates at Flora High for participating in the nationwide student walkouts in protest of gun violence on Wednesday. The protests were being held on the one-month anniversary of a horrific mass shooting that left 17 dead at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida.

“I hope it’s a trap and y’all get shot,” Roof wrote of the protest at her school, according to a screenshot of her Snapchat post.

Roof’s racist post was especially disturbing considering the heinous crimes of her brother, who is an avowed white supremacist.

In June 2015, Dylann Roof walked into the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston and opened fire on a Bible study group. He killed nine people. The 22-year-old shooter was found guilty on 33 federal charges and sentenced to death.

One of Dylann Roof’s friends told investigators that he hoped the massacre would start a race war.

In a letter to students, parents and faculty, Principal Susan Childs said that a student’s social media post caused “quite a disruption” on campus. Childs’ letter did not identify Morgan Roof but described her post as a “hateful message” that was “extremely inappropriate.”

Chris Slick, a neighbor of the Roofs, told The Post and Courier that Morgan Roof wasn’t hateful.

“This is not the Morgan I knew. She didn’t hate people. She didn’t have prejudices like this — in fact, I witnessed the opposite,” he added. “I hope that one day, one day she finds peace and seeks forgiveness for what she did today. I cannot say I wish the same for her brother.”

In a series of tweets, Gov. Henry McMaster said that “potential tragedy was avoided” at Flora High on Wednesday. He also called on the state General Assembly to pass legislation requiring police officers to be present at every school.  

Law enforcement officials took Morgan Roof to the Richland County Detention Center, according to CBS affiliate WLTX 19. She was released on a $5,000 bond with the condition that she not return to school.

wow
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Disturbing to see Dylan Roof's sister showing some of the same mindset. I can well imagine that life hasn't been easy for her, especially given what her brother is known for, but this isn't the way you would hope it would go.

Yikes, that family is going to leave a bleak legacy...
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:
    It is totally just my opinion, as yours is. Whether or not their parents put them up to it, elementary and middle school aged children should not be allowed to skip to protest (in my opinion) and it is exploitation.  
    If their parents specifically take them out of school, then the parents are responsible for whatever they are doing or wherever they are going.  I still feel that it is exploitation to parade a child around that does not fully grasp the situation.  
    As a parent, though, if the school freely allowed my child to walk out the doors of the school to a non-school related event (such as a protest) without my written permission, I would probably sue the shit out of them.  They are responsible for my child’s safety when there and letting them go to a non-school sponsored protest is not ensuring their safety.

You don’t know the facts of this at all you think the parents of these kids didn’t know about them walking out ?
    Agree on the point on the hypothetical situation of parents forcing kids to protest gun violence.  I fucking hate the Left wing brain washing. 

edited March 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:

You don’t know the facts of this at all you think the parents of these kids didn’t know about them walking out ?
    Would you support a parents decision not to allow their child/student to skip regardless of the child/students opinion in the matter?  Knowing about it and not being okay with it out of safety concerns are two different things.  I did read a few stories of children being chastised for not walking out...which is fucked up too.  If the parents/school/ child are all willing participants, then it is a non-issue.  If they are peer pressured or a school is letting a child “skip” regardless of their parent’s will, that is an issue.  If a child is being exploited for a political objective, that is fucked up.  All I’m doing is stating personal concern, honestly.
  • mrussel1 said:
    Agree on the point on the hypothetical situation of parents forcing kids to protest gun violence.  I fucking hate the Left wing brain washing. 

D'oh.

Lol
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited March 2018
    mrussel1 said:

Nice spin...I do not support exploitation of children in the picture posted here either.  Would you support these children if they had gun control signs instead of anti-abortion signs?  What if they all scheduled a time to skip school to protest abortion?  Cannot have it both ways...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    unsung said:

Would you support a parents decision not to allow their child/student to skip regardless of the child/students opinion in the matter?  Knowing about it and not being okay with it out of safety concerns are two different things.  I did read a few stories of children being chastised for not walking out...which is fucked up too.  If the parents/school/ child are all willing participants, then it is a non-issue.  If they are peer pressured or a school is letting a child “skip” regardless of their parent’s will, that is an issue.  If a child is being exploited for a political objective, that is fucked up.  All I’m doing is stating personal concern, honestly.
    I agree with you my kid is not marching with out my consent ..
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

Nice spin...I do not support exploitation of children in the picture posted here either.  Would you support these children if they had gun control signs instead of anti-abortion signs?  What if they all scheduled a time to skip school to protest abortion?  Cannot have it both ways...
    These kids were not victims of abortion. They are not in any kind of danger.

Kids in schools in America today are in immediate danger, I can understand why they would protest for their safety. I don't see them being exploited.

edited March 2018
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

Kids in schools in America today are in immediate danger, I can understand why they would protest for their safety. I don't see them being exploited.

You can not deny them protesting abortion and allow them protesting for other reasons though.  Not every child agrees with the motives behind this walkout, same as those that do not agree with them protesting abortion.  It would be politically discriminatory to allow one and not the other.  Cannot have it both ways.  And 99% of school children in schools are not in any “immediate danger”.  I would say that they probably  put themselves in more danger skipping and being off school grounds than sitting in their classrooms. If you do not see any exploitation at all going on, you are blind.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

You can not deny them protesting abortion and allow them protesting for other reasons though.  Not every child agrees with the motives behind this walkout, same as those that do not agree with them protesting abortion.  It would be politically discriminatory to allow one and not the other.  Cannot have it both ways.  And 99% of school children in schools are not in any “immediate danger”.  I would say that they probably  put themselves in more danger skipping and being off school grounds than sitting in their classrooms. If you do not see any exploitation at all going on, you are blind.
    If they are not in immediate danger then why do you want armed teachers in schools?
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

If they are not in immediate danger then why do you want armed teachers in schools?
    Precautionary, are there fire extinguishers in schools because they are in immediate danger of a fire?
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

You can not deny them protesting abortion and allow them protesting for other reasons though.  Not every child agrees with the motives behind this walkout, same as those that do not agree with them protesting abortion.  It would be politically discriminatory to allow one and not the other.  Cannot have it both ways.
    There is a supreme court case that clearly decides that the First Amendment is not checked at the school door.  What they are subject to is school disciplinary procedure for either leaving school grounds or being out of class unattended.  This whole line of argument is specious and silly.  
    One would have to be a fool to think that a child is not heavily influenced by their parents' point of view.  Some roll with it, some rebel.  This is true about abortion, gun control or whatever.  @PJPOWER, I'm not "spinning", I am pointing out that the argument could be construed as hypocritical considering the the anti-abortion movement's extensive use of children in protesting.  The photo I posted is not unique, it's widespread. 
    You challenge me with whether I think it's okay, well I'm ambivalent to the matter. I'm perfectly fine with kids who understand what they are protesting to miss school.  I think it's educational and truly part of the American experience.  As long as not abused (month long protest trip), then I'm in favor of it.   But you are the one making the argument, so are you okay with these kids protesting abortion and missing school (or their home school)?

mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

You can not deny them protesting abortion and allow them protesting for other reasons though.  Not every child agrees with the motives behind this walkout, same as those that do not agree with them protesting abortion.  It would be politically discriminatory to allow one and not the other.  Cannot have it both ways.
    There is a supreme court case that clearly decides that the First Amendment is not checked at the school door.  What they are subject to is school disciplinary procedure for either leaving school grounds or being out of class unattended.  This whole line of argument is specious and silly.  
    One would have to be a fool to think that a child is not heavily influenced by their parents' point of view.  Some roll with it, some rebel.  This is true about abortion, gun control or whatever.  @PJPOWER, I'm not "spinning", I am pointing out that the argument could be construed as hypocritical considering the the anti-abortion movement's extensive use of children in protesting.  The photo I posted is not unique, it's widespread. 
    You challenge me with whether I think it's okay, well I'm ambivalent to the matter. I'm perfectly fine with kids who understand what they are protesting to miss school.  I think it's educational and truly part of the American experience.  As long as not abused (month long protest trip), then I'm in favor of it.   But you are the one making the argument, so are you okay with these kids protesting abortion and missing school (or their home school)?

No, I am not okay with children of the age the ones you posted skipping school to protest anything.  Do you think it is okay to exploit children for any political agenda?  Free speech is one thing, civil disobedience by a 10 year old is different.  The parents suffer the consequences of a child’s disobedience and should have the final say on whether or not their child participated in these events.  Parading 10 year olds around in front of cameras to push and agenda or rhetoric is wrong on all accounts though.  Again, just my opinion.
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

Precautionary, are there fire extinguishers in schools because they are in immediate danger of a fire?
    Kids are very much in immediate danger by having armed teachers in schools. I wonder how many kids were injured by their teachers with fire extinguishers yesterday?

2 “good guys with guns” accidentally fired them in schools on Tuesday

Trump wants to arm teachers. Two accidental shootings in one day show that’s a dangerous idea.

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/14/17120046/school-shooting-accidental-california-virginia-gun-control

Thousands of kids willingly protested yesterday and here you are trying to muddy the waters by focusing on a few kids who might have been bullied into protesting too. 
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

No, I am not okay with children of the age the ones you posted skipping school to protest anything.  Do you think it is okay to exploit children for any political agenda?  Free speech is one thing, civil disobedience by a 10 year old is different.  The parents suffer the consequences of a child’s disobedience and should have the final say on whether or not their child participated in these events.  Parading 10 year olds around in front of cameras to push and agenda or rhetoric is wrong on all accounts though.  Again, just my opinion.
    Call me a liberal and accuse me of allowing parents to raise their kids how they want to raise them, within the bounds of the law.  Maybe you like Big Gov't telling you how to raise your kids, but no thanks.  
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

Call me a liberal and accuse me of allowing parents to raise their kids how they want to raise them, within the bounds of the law.  Maybe you like Big Gov't telling you how to raise your kids, but no thanks.  
    Skipping school is technically outside of the bounds of law...if you want to go that route.  I’m not arguing from a government point of view, but from an ethical one.  Exploitation of children for political agendas is unethical in my opinion.  If you think otherwise, that is your right.  I would bet that even you, with all of your “parents should raise them the way they want” are against abuse of neglect of children.  Exploitation is abuse.

PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:

Skipping school is technically outside of the bounds of law...if you want to go that route.  I’m not arguing from a government point of view, but from an ethical one.  Exploitation of children for political agendas is unethical in my opinion.  If you think otherwise, that is your right.  I would bet that even you, with all of your “parents should raise them the way they want” are against abuse of neglect of children.  Exploitation is abuse.

Neglect is against the law.  Political persuasion is not.  Exploitation is subjective unless we are talking about sexual or something specifically covered by statute.  Skipping school is not illegal if covered by a parent note.  For most school systems, once you hit a certain amount of days, then doctors notes or something else is required.  Child services can then be called to review.  In my school system, 10 absences lead to the next level of 'oversight' by the school, meaning the doctors notes.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through

Perfect Bowie quote..
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Big fucking deal if kids miss a few days of school ... thats between the parents and their children.  Its good that these kids are protesting, personally i wish every parent would pull their children from school indefinitely until the idiot politicians pass meaningful gun control legislation...There is absolutely nothing to argue back and forth, its the parents decision.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Big fucking deal if kids miss a few days of school ... thats between the parents and their children.  Its good that these kids are protesting, personally i wish every parent would pull their children from school indefinitely until the idiot politicians pass meaningful gun control legislation...There is absolutely nothing to argue back and forth, its the parents decision.  
    So all good if a few of the students are protesting against gun control too?  Cannot have it both ways...