Options

Earliest PJ Memory and First Concert

2»

Comments

• Options
    This moment is cemented with me.  Spring break after graduating high school (Spring 1994), three buddies and I went backpacking in Yosemite.  During the 3 hour drive to get to the park, my friend Lee played Ten on repeat -- the entire time.  We backpacked the upper falls, set up camp in snow and got little sleep.  After a few nights we headed back home and he played Ten the whole way back.  My first concert was Cal Expo in Sacramento, Ca 1995.  Finally joined the Tenclub in 1996.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Options
    letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    Sitting in my basement and saw the Evenflow vid on Mtv Headbangers Ball.  Lol.  Hooked after I saw Eddie climb up the wall and fall back into the crowd.  I was in Junior high then.

First concert was maybe 4 years later in 1996, Toledo. Only found out I was going around 1 or 2pm the day of.  This was the non ticketmaster tour so getting tickets was impossible. I was home watching football and a good friend of mine called and his brother was bailing on the show because he was hungover.  So I got his ticket!  Fast forward a few hours later and we were drinking 40 oz's in the parking lot of Savage Hall in Toledo.(I was only 18 so couldn't go to a bar).   Most memorable moments of that show were the opening notes and vocals of Sometimes as it was the first time I was ever in the same room as PJ and was in shock and when they closed the show with Indifference with the house lights up.  It was stunning.   

The next day I was walking around campus with my new No Code shirt on.  Still in slight disbelief that I went so it was so spur of the moment.  I miss the 90's........

There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    twmillstwmills Milwaukee Posts: 54
    tschav said:
    The Jeremy video on 120 minutes sold me in a heartbeat. Didn't understand hair bands and wasn't really interested in music, but damn that video struck so many different emotions that I couldn't look away.

Sadly I waited to see them live years later at Alpine Valley in 98. Funny enough the friend that took me messaged me about our 20th high school reunion and asked if I was going to be "that guy" traveling to see them in Seattle. And I will. 

'98 Alpine Valley was my first PJ show as well. I was a Sr in High School then, drove up from the Chicago burbs to see that show with a group of friends.

• Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,766
    Sitting in my basement and saw the Evenflow vid on Mtv Headbangers Ball.  Lol.  Hooked after I saw Eddie climb up the wall and fall back into the crowd.  I was in Junior high then.

First concert was maybe 4 years later in 1996, Toledo. Only found out I was going around 1 or 2pm the day of.  This was the non ticketmaster tour so getting tickets was impossible. I was home watching football and a good friend of mine called and his brother was bailing on the show because he was hungover.  So I got his ticket!  Fast forward a few hours later and we were drinking 40 oz's in the parking lot of Savage Hall in Toledo.(I was only 18 so couldn't go to a bar).   Most memorable moments of that show were the opening notes and vocals of Sometimes as it was the first time I was ever in the same room as PJ and was in shock and when they closed the show with Indifference with the house lights up.  It was stunning.   

The next day I was walking around campus with my new No Code shirt on.  Still in slight disbelief that I went so it was so spur of the moment.  I miss the 90's........

My parents went to that show. They did not take me (just like the Soldier Field 95 show). Only for this show, not only did they not take me, but the went with an unused ticket because one of their friends bailed on them. I would have hampered the fun my parents (in their mid-thirties at that time, I was a teen) had at these shows. 

Fast forward, they saw them twice since 96 (98 & 03) and I have been to 15 shows, 3 Ed solo shows and 2 more at Wrigley this season. Winning!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,766
    twmills said:

'98 Alpine Valley was my first PJ show as well. I was a Sr in High School then, drove up from the Chicago burbs to see that show with a group of friends.
    My first show was a day or two later at the United Center in Chicago. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    I had heard the radio versions of the Ten singles and yea, they were good. But I was into the hair bands still. Then on a party weekend night I found myself staring at a hot blonde dancing to a new song I hadn't heard. Now mind you, I was living with 3 dancers at the time. Two were sisters and I was dating the friend. So I would go to their office have a beer and drive them home.

Those first few licks of Go had me hooked. Vs had just come out and this dancer was going off. I asked her, "who was that?" "Pearl Jam's Go", she replied. I said, "holy shit that was intense!" Been hooked ever since.

First show was Soldier Field 95. Will never forget that experience!
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    feeder said:
    JH6056 said:
    First time I heard them was the Alive video, and I thought the singer swung his hair around too much and I wasn't impressed.  Then I read the Spin magazine article with I think Ed on the cover near a fence?  It was when they were recording Vs.  Now I was impressed with several aspects of his character and the band's approach/attitude to music.

Went to another band's show and my sister met Stone and Stone mentioned Ed was there.  Concert ended and my boyfriend was like "Why aren't we leaving?" and I was scanning the dissipating crowd saying "Don't worry about it.  Just wait."  Finally spied Ed, went over, no one was trying to talk to him.  Had a very nice talk and he told me about an alias they'd probably play a club show under.  Boyfriend was not happy. :D 

They announced a show under the alias (wish I could remember the name! It was the Slims show in SF in '93 I think) but word got out it was PJ and the show almost didn't happen.  I MISSED the show because my boyfriend and I got into an argument about me going!  Grrrrrr...

Then they played the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA and I never got in until the very end.  Walked in during Porch which was an encore I think and it was insanity, found out Ed had just climbed up to a balcony and jumped into the audience from the balcony.  That's the frenzy I walked into.  That was pretty much the last song I think, maybe one more song.

First real, full, proper show that I saw all of was soon after, San Francisco the Warfield. GA theater, I was front center literally under Ed's mic, I could have tied his shoelaces together.  My little sister was further back on the floor and some guys behind her were looking at the front row and picking out all the people who would never make it through the show.  They described short little old me and were like "Oh, she is DEFINITELY NOT going to make it past the 2nd song!"  My little sister turned around "Oh, you do NOT know my sister!"  I was there the entire show, what a first show!

There was another PJ show in '95 that my boyfriend and I almost broke up over, and then we did break up later in '95, but not because of PJ. ;) 
    Kevorkian or Gunn Band, I think?

I don't think it was either of those, although those sound familiar.  I gotta ask my little sister, she should remember what it said in the paper for the show because she went down there.  
  • Options
    91, senior year in high school, a buddy invited me to go with him to Burlington (VT) to see RHCP and the Pumpkins.  I was gonna go but bailed to do something with my girlfriend.  He came back the next day and told me I missed the best show he had ever seen.  I asked who was better and he said "Pearl Jam!"  Said they were way better than either of the other bands.  I got their album and was pissed I did not see them pretty much right away.
    First time I saw Pearl Jam in concert was Oct 31, 1993.  Bezerkely CA.  Rollins opened.  Awesome show, blew my fucking mind.  Drove to Indio to see them again within a week, where the shoeless ran wild.

I have this bad boy and my ticket in a frame.  Not my favorite poster but one of my favorite memories.

https://youtu.be/NCwmmv3jU6A

I was at that Berkeley Halloween show, it was indeed scorching!  But do I also remember correctly that we didn't get any costumes?
  • Options
    feederfeeder Boise, ID Posts: 79
    JH6056 said:
    feeder said:
    JH6056 said:
    First time I heard them was the Alive video, and I thought the singer swung his hair around too much and I wasn't impressed.  Then I read the Spin magazine article with I think Ed on the cover near a fence?  It was when they were recording Vs.  Now I was impressed with several aspects of his character and the band's approach/attitude to music.

Went to another band's show and my sister met Stone and Stone mentioned Ed was there.  Concert ended and my boyfriend was like "Why aren't we leaving?" and I was scanning the dissipating crowd saying "Don't worry about it.  Just wait."  Finally spied Ed, went over, no one was trying to talk to him.  Had a very nice talk and he told me about an alias they'd probably play a club show under.  Boyfriend was not happy. :D 

They announced a show under the alias (wish I could remember the name! It was the Slims show in SF in '93 I think) but word got out it was PJ and the show almost didn't happen.  I MISSED the show because my boyfriend and I got into an argument about me going!  Grrrrrr...

Then they played the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA and I never got in until the very end.  Walked in during Porch which was an encore I think and it was insanity, found out Ed had just climbed up to a balcony and jumped into the audience from the balcony.  That's the frenzy I walked into.  That was pretty much the last song I think, maybe one more song.

First real, full, proper show that I saw all of was soon after, San Francisco the Warfield. GA theater, I was front center literally under Ed's mic, I could have tied his shoelaces together.  My little sister was further back on the floor and some guys behind her were looking at the front row and picking out all the people who would never make it through the show.  They described short little old me and were like "Oh, she is DEFINITELY NOT going to make it past the 2nd song!"  My little sister turned around "Oh, you do NOT know my sister!"  I was there the entire show, what a first show!

There was another PJ show in '95 that my boyfriend and I almost broke up over, and then we did break up later in '95, but not because of PJ. ;) 

I don't think it was either of those, although those sound familiar.  I gotta ask my little sister, she should remember what it said in the paper for the show because she went down there.  
    Courtesy of Five Horizons (archive):
    05/13/93 - Slim's Cafe: San Francisco, CA [110m]
    attendance: 900
    soundcheck: Daughter instrumental, Why Go, Blood instrumental, Rats and Release guitar warm-ups, Animal instrumental, Animal, Dissident
    set: Animal, Go, Even Flow, Blood, Daughter, W.M.A., Dissident, Why Go, Alive, Hard to Imagine, Rearviewmirror, Better Man, Dirty Frank/Rats, Baba O'Riley, Once, Jeremy, (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)/Porch/(Tearing), Release, Alone, (Dirty Deeds)/Whipping, Leash, Sonic Reducer
    notes: This was a secret show was a benefit to assist in legal support for a member of the Surfrider Foundation. PJ is billed as the "David J. Gunn Band" and most of Vs. (plus 'Better Man' and 'Whipping') premier as they have just completed recording the new album. The band even asks for requests at this show. Ed jokes around: "We're accepting any donations of acid that you may have. Just put it in a little envelope with your name on it ... and if we write a great song while we're on it, we'll put your name in the credits." A guitar riff from Van Halen's 'Eruption' is played between 'Why Go' and 'Alive.' 'Alive' is dedicated to Ed's uncle, Freddy Vedder. The transition from 'Dirty Frank' to 'Rats' is very cool sounding.A bit of AC/DC's 'Dirty Deeds' is played.
    "Have we got a show for you??  No, it's a question!" EV 5/12/22
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    feeder said:
    JH6056 said:
    feeder said:
    JH6056 said:

Courtesy of Five Horizons (archive):
    05/13/93 - Slim's Cafe: San Francisco, CA [110m]
    attendance: 900
    soundcheck: Daughter instrumental, Why Go, Blood instrumental, Rats and Release guitar warm-ups, Animal instrumental, Animal, Dissident
    set: Animal, Go, Even Flow, Blood, Daughter, W.M.A., Dissident, Why Go, Alive, Hard to Imagine, Rearviewmirror, Better Man, Dirty Frank/Rats, Baba O'Riley, Once, Jeremy, (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)/Porch/(Tearing), Release, Alone, (Dirty Deeds)/Whipping, Leash, Sonic Reducer
    notes: This was a secret show was a benefit to assist in legal support for a member of the Surfrider Foundation. PJ is billed as the "David J. Gunn Band" and most of Vs. (plus 'Better Man' and 'Whipping') premier as they have just completed recording the new album. The band even asks for requests at this show. Ed jokes around: "We're accepting any donations of acid that you may have. Just put it in a little envelope with your name on it ... and if we write a great song while we're on it, we'll put your name in the credits." A guitar riff from Van Halen's 'Eruption' is played between 'Why Go' and 'Alive.' 'Alive' is dedicated to Ed's uncle, Freddy Vedder. The transition from 'Dirty Frank' to 'Rats' is very cool sounding.A bit of AC/DC's 'Dirty Deeds' is played.
    Well there ya go, David J. Gunn Band it is!  What's funny is, I don't know that that was the name Ed told me.  REALLY WISH I had written it down - it's one of those things you'll think you'll always remember, but nope.

Oh and thanks feeder for reminding me what a blistering amazing show in a venue of 900 I missed that night by posting the setlist, including missing Dirty Deeds dagnabbit! :)  
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    This moment is cemented with me.  Spring break after graduating high school (Spring 1994), three buddies and I went backpacking in Yosemite.  During the 3 hour drive to get to the park, my friend Lee played Ten on repeat -- the entire time.  We backpacked the upper falls, set up camp in snow and got little sleep.  After a few nights we headed back home and he played Ten the whole way back.  My first concert was Cal Expo in Sacramento, Ca 1995.  Finally joined the Tenclub in 1996.  
    Cool, you experienced "The Immersion Intro to PJ"!  Sounds pretty cool, with a very cool camping trip in between!
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    I don't have a specific memory of hearing PJ and having the light go on. Probably the Jeremy video/ but I guess biggest memory is buying both Ten and Nevermind on cassette at the same time and abusing the shit out of those 2 in my car.  I played those 2 non-stop for at least a year.  First PJ show was Camden 1998. i've been lucky to see them 27 times and i've been at 5 of the top 10 bootlegs listed in the special rolling stone PJ issue.  it's been a blast with hopefully a lot more fun times in the future.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    I don't have a specific memory of hearing PJ and having the light go on. Probably the Jeremy video/ but I guess biggest memory is buying both Ten and Nevermind on cassette at the same time and abusing the shit out of those 2 in my car.  I played those 2 non-stop for at least a year.  First PJ show was Camden 1998. i've been lucky to see them 27 times and i've been at 5 of the top 10 bootlegs listed in the special rolling stone PJ issue.  it's been a blast with hopefully a lot more fun times in the future.
    I've seen 50+ PJ shows, and that first Camden '98 show remains my #1 favorite show of all, for a lot of reasons.  Was not the most "epic" show I've been to, but it remains an absolute perfect cocktail of amazingness and it's my favorite.
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Like most of you, my first introduction to Pearl Jam was through Ten. I instantly loved the music. So I was very excited to get tickets to my first PJ show - April 8, 1994. If that date sounds familiar it is because it is the same day that the news broke about Kurt Cobain's suicide. As you can imagine, we were all in shock and devastated to hear that news. The mood at the show reflected that. However, Pearl Jam was right there with us. I remember Eddie saying a few words about Kurt, and then the band played a cover of Neil Young's My My Hey Hey - it seemed especially appropriate that night. The whole stadium was waving lighters (which are so much cooler than cell phone flashlights). There were candles all over the stage as well. We had come to the show feeling so sad, but left feeling so uplifted by the music and the spirit of the band and the crowd. While I have seen Pearl Jam so many times in concert since that first time, I won't forget how they took a sad day, and made it better.

Can't wait for Fenway - woohoo!!!
    April 8, 1994 - This was my first show also and what memories.  We were driving from Philadelphia to George Mason in Fairfax, VA. Of course we had PJ blasting in the car so we weren't listening to the radio and didn't know about Kurt's passing.  As we got closer to DC we happened to turn on the radio and were listening to WHFS play Nirvana songs and we knew something was up.  The DJ starting talking about Kurt and we were all in tears.  The radio was talking about the PJ show at George Mason and that Eddie was so distraught that they heard he didn't show up for sound check.  We had no idea if the show was even going to happen !  We made our way to Patriot Center at GM and what a show we experienced.  The mood was just as you described and there were lots it tears flowing that night.  The entire band dug deep and we all mourned together for a truly unforgettable show. We also left there feeling better despite devastating day !!  I have seen PJ over 60 times since then but this show will always hold special place in my heart. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    JH6056 said:
    91, senior year in high school, a buddy invited me to go with him to Burlington (VT) to see RHCP and the Pumpkins.  I was gonna go but bailed to do something with my girlfriend.  He came back the next day and told me I missed the best show he had ever seen.  I asked who was better and he said "Pearl Jam!"  Said they were way better than either of the other bands.  I got their album and was pissed I did not see them pretty much right away.
    First time I saw Pearl Jam in concert was Oct 31, 1993.  Bezerkely CA.  Rollins opened.  Awesome show, blew my fucking mind.  Drove to Indio to see them again within a week, where the shoeless ran wild.

I have this bad boy and my ticket in a frame.  Not my favorite poster but one of my favorite memories.

https://youtu.be/NCwmmv3jU6A

I was at that Berkeley Halloween show, it was indeed scorching!  But do I also remember correctly that we didn't get any costumes?
    Correct....!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    93, I was 16, first love and he played me ten on cassette. I was blown away by it!
  • Options
    Don't post much, was curious to see if anyone had a similar path....Big Metalhead through 80's....by 1988 I burned out (or bored out) from listening to the same type of songs and bands for almost 10 years....turned to freestyle music (dark period) until one day I heard Teen Spirit and then 10...blew away the Metal Gods I had grown up with and changed everything...In relation to topic, 92 and 94