Earliest PJ Memory and First Concert

I know, cheesy topic but feeling nostalgic...  Just curious if everyone remembers first time they heard the band and when their first concert was....  

Mine was spring 92, I was a High School SR and we had a outdoor Basketball Tourney,,,  organizers were playing Ten on repeat.  First song I heard was Release and I was immediately hooked.  Went out and bought the Disc that day and loved it from front to back.  I still remember in college waiting in line at record stores for the midnight releases of Vs & Vitalogy...  Simpler times.

First PJ concert was March 10, 1994 at old Chicago Stadium ( I think that was last concert ever played there too...)  Was also Jeff Aments bday..
First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)

Comments

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

1993, I was 6 years old, playing Sega in my bedroom and I heard Alive on the radio.

First PJ concert wouldn't be until Tulsa 2014 and I had a great side stage seat (Stone's side) that I got through the general sale (didn't know about Ten Club...) I'm not afraid to admit that I teared up a bit when they took the stage. Sat next to some great Ten Club members that night and they made my first PJ concert experience very memorable. One the guys even got a copy of the setlist. Wish I could remember their names.

• gvn2fly1421gvn2fly1421 Posts: 935
    edited February 2018
    Middle school-ish and Betterman was the song that drew me in.

First concert was at Starwood Amphiteatre (Nashville), 2003 when I was a sophomore in college.  Next time seeing them after that was 2016.  Heading to Seattle in August for two!  Really excited!
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    Alive video
    I thought eddie vedder was jesus

First show. 92 pine knob michigan
    Got to see soundgarden 2
  • hipfan1hipfan1 Posts: 37
    edited February 2018
    I remember being about 12 when Ten came out, and my friend's older brother introduced me to them. I didn't get into the band at that point, it wasn't until Yield came out that I really got into them, via a high school friend. First saw them in 2000, and have seen them 4 times (will be 6 once I hit the Seattle shows).

I'm from the East, and have seen them in Montreal twice, Ottawa and Buffalo. I'm looking forward to the home shows and experiencing the band on their backyard. I've always managed to have decent seats for concerts, but good PJ tickets are hard to come by. I've had really great seats for all my favourite bands/artists, except for PJ, until now. Super happy to land GA tickets for Seattle night 1 and I will be there early to get a good spot. I've had 3 row for Neil Young, 11th row for Eric Clapton, seen The Tragically Hip 22 times, usually within the first 5 rows, seen the Arcade Fire in a small club on the Funeral tour, and was on the rail for their Reflecktor tour, so I've been spoiled. My PJ tickets have either been side stage, or lower bowl on the side. Always had a good view, but never that close, until now!
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199

Hartford 1996 - During Porch a rush to the stage (Vedder encourage the crowd) and then being pepper sprayed (not directly) by security.  1996 Randall's Island - the rain, energy, and the mosh pit - I thought I was not going to make it out in one piece. 

• #420Dabz#420Dabz uSATx Posts: 33
    Born October 22,1992. Before entering kindergarten i would ride around with my mom in her car  to run errands. I remember hearing Black and looking back now i thought it sounded just like The Cranberries Zombie track lol. In 2013 my then girlfriend showed me Alice In Chains Unplugged and that is when I was looking into all the grunge acts and seattle bands from the 90s until now. PJ20 and Pearl Jam unplugged changed me. The relationship the band members have and eddies past with his dad  made me care more about myself my friends and even strangers who are going thru similar issues. The song Jeremy is such a powerful message. My middle name is Jeremy and once felt like checking myself out due to some issues i was having . while alot of fans jump up and down singing at the top of their lungs the lyrics all i can think about is that poor boy and how i would feeel seeing someone i knew shoot themselves in school. He was just a kid. Alot of pearl jam songs are meaningful to me and help me get through the day. I listen to alot of differerent bands and artists but Pearl Jam is the only band thats good for me and makes me try and be a positive light to the world. If i didn't let the music go to my soul i wouldnt be here. Pearl Jam is apart of me now. Their in my heart forever!! My brother and sis will say  everyday its pearl jam with me. Its true. Faithful
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited February 2018
    Like most of you, my first introduction to Pearl Jam was through Ten. I instantly loved the music. So I was very excited to get tickets to my first PJ show - April 8, 1994. If that date sounds familiar it is because it is the same day that the news broke about Kurt Cobain's suicide. As you can imagine, we were all in shock and devastated to hear that news. The mood at the show reflected that. However, Pearl Jam was right there with us. I remember Eddie saying a few words about Kurt, and then the band played a cover of Neil Young's My My Hey Hey - it seemed especially appropriate that night. The whole stadium was waving lighters (which are so much cooler than cell phone flashlights). There were candles all over the stage as well. We had come to the show feeling so sad, but left feeling so uplifted by the music and the spirit of the band and the crowd. While I have seen Pearl Jam so many times in concert since that first time, I won't forget how they took a sad day, and made it better.

Can't wait for Fenway - woohoo!!!
  • PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    Shyner said:
    First show. 92 pine knob michigan
    Got to see soundgarden 2
    PINE. KNOB. Gosh those two words make me smile =)
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    My sister recorded Unplugged and I remember watching (and emulating to the best of my ability) Eddie. 

First saw them in 1998 at the United Center in Chicago. My parents were at the Soldier Field show and they saw them again in Toledo, OH in 96. Didn't take me to either .
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • ry75guyry75guy Posts: 213
    I first heard them in 1991 on a CD sampler called “Stanley: Son Of Theodore.” I immediately became hooked. First saw them in ‘92 and I remember when they started their set, it was raining pretty hard. A ton of people were under tarps but when Jeremy kicked in the whole crowd joined the rest of us in not giving a damn about the rain. 
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
  • Friend got Ten and let me borrow it. I wasn’t to impressed( still was into the hair bands). Saw the Alive video and took a more serious listen to Ten and was hooked.  First concert was Soldier Field in ‘95. 
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    The Jeremy video on 120 minutes sold me in a heartbeat. Didn't understand hair bands and wasn't really interested in music, but damn that video struck so many different emotions that I couldn't look away.

Sadly I waited to see them live years later at Alpine Valley in 98. Funny enough the friend that took me messaged me about our 20th high school reunion and asked if I was going to be "that guy" traveling to see them in Seattle. And I will. 
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    First time I heard them was the Alive video, and I thought the singer swung his hair around too much and I wasn't impressed.  Then I read the Spin magazine article with I think Ed on the cover near a fence?  It was when they were recording Vs.  Now I was impressed with several aspects of his character and the band's approach/attitude to music.

Went to another band's show and my sister met Stone and Stone mentioned Ed was there.  Concert ended and my boyfriend was like "Why aren't we leaving?" and I was scanning the dissipating crowd saying "Don't worry about it.  Just wait."  Finally spied Ed, went over, no one was trying to talk to him.  Had a very nice talk and he told me about an alias they'd probably play a club show under.  Boyfriend was not happy. :D 

They announced a show under the alias (wish I could remember the name! It was the Slims show in SF in '93 I think) but word got out it was PJ and the show almost didn't happen.  I MISSED the show because my boyfriend and I got into an argument about me going!  Grrrrrr...

Then they played the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA and I never got in until the very end.  Walked in during Porch which was an encore I think and it was insanity, found out Ed had just climbed up to a balcony and jumped into the audience from the balcony.  That's the frenzy I walked into.  That was pretty much the last song I think, maybe one more song.

First real, full, proper show that I saw all of was soon after, San Francisco the Warfield. GA theater, I was front center literally under Ed's mic, I could have tied his shoelaces together.  My little sister was further back on the floor and some guys behind her were looking at the front row and picking out all the people who would never make it through the show.  They described short little old me and were like "Oh, she is DEFINITELY NOT going to make it past the 2nd song!"  My little sister turned around "Oh, you do NOT know my sister!"  I was there the entire show, what a first show!

There was another PJ show in '95 that my boyfriend and I almost broke up over, and then we did break up later in '95, but not because of PJ. ;) 
  • feederfeeder Boise, ID Posts: 78
    edited February 2018
    JH6056 said:
    First time I heard them was the Alive video, and I thought the singer swung his hair around too much and I wasn't impressed.  Then I read the Spin magazine article with I think Ed on the cover near a fence?  It was when they were recording Vs.  Now I was impressed with several aspects of his character and the band's approach/attitude to music.

Went to another band's show and my sister met Stone and Stone mentioned Ed was there.  Concert ended and my boyfriend was like "Why aren't we leaving?" and I was scanning the dissipating crowd saying "Don't worry about it.  Just wait."  Finally spied Ed, went over, no one was trying to talk to him.  Had a very nice talk and he told me about an alias they'd probably play a club show under.  Boyfriend was not happy. :D 

They announced a show under the alias (wish I could remember the name! It was the Slims show in SF in '93 I think) but word got out it was PJ and the show almost didn't happen.  I MISSED the show because my boyfriend and I got into an argument about me going!  Grrrrrr...

Then they played the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA and I never got in until the very end.  Walked in during Porch which was an encore I think and it was insanity, found out Ed had just climbed up to a balcony and jumped into the audience from the balcony.  That's the frenzy I walked into.  That was pretty much the last song I think, maybe one more song.

First real, full, proper show that I saw all of was soon after, San Francisco the Warfield. GA theater, I was front center literally under Ed's mic, I could have tied his shoelaces together.  My little sister was further back on the floor and some guys behind her were looking at the front row and picking out all the people who would never make it through the show.  They described short little old me and were like "Oh, she is DEFINITELY NOT going to make it past the 2nd song!"  My little sister turned around "Oh, you do NOT know my sister!"  I was there the entire show, what a first show!

There was another PJ show in '95 that my boyfriend and I almost broke up over, and then we did break up later in '95, but not because of PJ. ;) 
    Kevorkian or Gunn Band, I think?

Post edited by feeder on
    "Have we got a show for you??  No, it's a question!" EV 5/12/22
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Guitar hero 3 when I was in 5th grade. Even Flow was one of the most fun songs on the game. 

Much later in high school I dove into PJ, Jeremy being the first song. I also loved Into the Wild, in which Vedder did the music. 

First show was spokane 13, senior year of high school! 
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    I became a Nirvana fan in 96-97 and would go to car boot sales to find music magazines with articles about them and stumbled across one about Eddie and how he dealt with Kurt's death. It must have been from 94 or 95 but I don't think I got to hear them until 99 where I found the single for Who You Are for next to nothing in a supermarket or so. To be honest I didn't get them back then, at all. 
    In 2000 I saw them at a big German festival called Rock Am Ring for the first time. Again, I did not get them back then. I liked it, but it did not blow me away. But later I bought the bootleg and listened to it over the years again and again and at some point the curtains were lifted and I had a "holy shit - this is amazing" sort of moment... better late than never I guess.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited February 2018
    I was about 10-11, when my uncle brought two cassettes out of his car.  Nirvana’s Nevermind and Pearl Jam’s Ten. He and my other uncle had a discussion about the respective albums and each of its merits.  I seem to remember something about how they thought the Nirvana album was better, but Pearl Jam had the potential to be a better band.  I still remember looking at the album covers in awe. Such a great time to be growing up in music.

Post edited by buck502000 on
  • 1upstate1upstate near Syracuse NY Posts: 201
    edited February 2018
    Jesus, you're all making me feel old

I was working as an auditor in NYC for a big health care system and somebody let me borrow the Singles Soundtrack to work out to (yes, a portable CD walkman) in the hotel gym and I was hooked by PJ. Within 2-3 weeks they had a show at some obscure as hell place in Chelsea I believe and that show set the hook, line and sinker.  Also saw them in Saratoga for Lollapalooza.  

life got in the way, had an ex who was a big fan and I just got back in in 2016- they still got it
    Post edited by 1upstate on
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    edited February 2018
    91, senior year in high school, a buddy invited me to go with him to Burlington (VT) to see RHCP and the Pumpkins.  I was gonna go but bailed to do something with my girlfriend.  He came back the next day and told me I missed the best show he had ever seen.  I asked who was better and he said "Pearl Jam!"  Said they were way better than either of the other bands.  I got their album and was pissed I did not see them pretty much right away.
    First time I saw Pearl Jam in concert was Oct 31, 1993.  Bezerkely CA.  Rollins opened.  Awesome show, blew my fucking mind.  Drove to Indio to see them again within a week, where the shoeless ran wild.

I have this bad boy and my ticket in a frame.  Not my favorite poster but one of my favorite memories.

https://youtu.be/NCwmmv3jU6A

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    Must have been summer of 91 or 92; I was in seventh or eighth grade, at Boy Scout camp as a Counselor-in-Training. The coolest area of the camp was the nature/discovery house. The counselors were in either late high school or early college, and really into alternative music. I was into pop at the time. I wish I could remember more of the stuff they played, but I remember "Alive". Me and my fellow CITs would walk back to our cabin belting out, "IIIII - oh - I'M STILL ALIVE!" Still didn't really get into them for a couple more years, though, until my older brother made a mix tape featuring Alive, Jeremy, and others, as well as stuff by STP, Rage Against the Machine, and others. At that point, I was hooked on grunge. When a friend who is a PJ nut (and probably on these boards somewhere) made me a PJ mixtape with live stuff and rarities, I knew I had to see them live.

My first show was Hartford, 96. a handful of rows from the back. Nearly didn't happen, as getting tickets for that show was a nightmare. No on in our group was able to get through on the phone - a friend who wasn't even a Pearl Jam fan helped us out, though, and managed to get through. I remember being scared about getting into the show, because his name was on the tickets, and there were rumors that the buyer had to be there to use the tickets. So much has changed in 22 years! :giggle:
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    MP59559 said:
    Must have been summer of 91 or 92; I was in seventh or eighth grade, at Boy Scout camp as a Counselor-in-Training. The coolest area of the camp was the nature/discovery house. The counselors were in either late high school or early college, and really into alternative music. I was into pop at the time. I wish I could remember more of the stuff they played, but I remember "Alive". Me and my fellow CITs would walk back to our cabin belting out, "IIIII - oh - I'M STILL ALIVE!" Still didn't really get into them for a couple more years, though, until my older brother made a mix tape featuring Alive, Jeremy, and others, as well as stuff by STP, Rage Against the Machine, and others. At that point, I was hooked on grunge. When a friend who is a PJ nut (and probably on these boards somewhere) made me a PJ mixtape with live stuff and rarities, I knew I had to see them live.

My first show was Hartford, 96. a handful of rows from the back. Nearly didn't happen, as getting tickets for that show was a nightmare. No on in our group was able to get through on the phone - a friend who wasn't even a Pearl Jam fan helped us out, though, and managed to get through. I remember being scared about getting into the show, because his name was on the tickets, and there were rumors that the buyer had to be there to use the tickets. So much has changed in 22 years! :giggle:
    Actually - in a way -- not much has changed.  Buyer has to be there for 10C tickets.  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • theebradnesstheebradness Quincy, IL originally from Weymouth, MA Posts: 278
    I'm sure the first time I heard them was the Alive video. First time I saw them was Lollapalooza 1992 in Mansfield MA. I also got heavily into punk around that time and ended up getting tired of how popular they were, so I paid no attention to them until about 2007. DUMB move man. Missed so many awesome shows
    Lollapalooza 1992 Mansfield MA
    STL 2014
    Wrigley Aug 20th 2016
    St Louis 2022

I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.
  • feederfeeder Boise, ID Posts: 78
    While studying for a mid-term in college, spring of ‘92, roommate turns on MTV......when they actually still played videos....heard that roaring voice scream HAAAaaaaahhh, that launched into Evenflow. 
    Later that summer, my then girlfriend said we were going to some music thing/festival called Lollapalooza at Shoreline in Mtn. View CA.  She said the dude from Janes Addiction puts it on.  I looked the the lineup & said....”Cool, Ice Cube is going to be there...........with all these alternative rock bands.....this will be interesting.  Oh, & I like that Evenflow song by that band Pearl Jam, I hope they sound as good live as they do in the video.  Still surprised they were 2nd on the bill, almost missed them as I was watching the side show The Jim Rose circus.  PJ took the stage & I was hooked.

Oh, Ice Cube was pretty good, too.  Ministry was by far the loudest band I’ve ever experienced, Soungarden was ok, & the Chili Peppers were pretty damn good.  I remember Flea barfing on stage.  Good times!
    "Have we got a show for you??  No, it's a question!" EV 5/12/22
  • SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    First time:sometime in 92... I was 5.  Porch was the first PJ song I really remember hearing... prolly cause of the F bomb in the first line lol.

Like others have mentioned Yield/lo2l where the releases that really starting pulling me in.  Then my dad bought Touring Band and seeing them live became an obsession.  After missing all the Seattle area shows 2002-2004, I signed up for tenclub cause I heard from a coworker that it was the best way to get tickets.  Finally, I saw them 3-18-05 at the Paramount Theater in Seattle. The show was a benefit for Stone's highschool.  It was a short set, but featured the first ever performance of Comatose (Crapshoot Rapture) and what I still think is the best ever version of the "slow intro" Porch.  Also Ann & Nancy Wilson and President of the USA opened the show.  What a friggin night.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Some really cool stories in here
  • JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    bflynn1 said:
    Some really cool stories in here
    Yes, love hearing these!  
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Who I AmWho I Am Posts: 644
    1996 - High School video project on Bubonic Plague. Tied fishing line around Master Shredder's neck (whilst Rats playing in the background) and lowered him from the top bunk to the bottom where I was sleeping and "got bitten"...

First show - 2003 State College - Quite thee introduction
    02MAY2003 - State College, PA
    08JUL2003 - New York, NY (L@TG)
    14JUL2003 - Holmdel, NJ
    01OCT2004 - Reading, PA
    01OCT2005 - Atlantic City, NJ
    03OCT2005 - Philadelphia, PA
    27MAY2006 - Camden, NJ
    01JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    03JUN2006 - East Rutherford, NJ
    30SEP2009 - Universal City, CA
    09OCT2009 - San Diego, CA
    06JUL2011 - Long Beach, CA (EV)
    19JUL2013 - Wrigley Field, IL
    21OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    22OCT2013 - Philadelphia, PA
    27OCT2013 - Baltimore, MD
    29APR2016 - Philadelphia, PA (TEN)
    05AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    07AUG2016 - Fenway Park, MA
    27AUG2016 - Dana Point, CA (Ohana)
    18AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    20AUG2018 - Wrigley Field, IL
    18SEP2021 - Asbury Park, NJ
    14SEP2022 - Camden, NJ

• JP218404JP218404 NJ Posts: 1,374
    1991- packing up the 3 song cassette to the MLB fan club when i was an intern at Epic Records..  Then seeing the first ever NYC show at the Marquee that year.  The rest as they say is history
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I first heard of Pearl Jam when they were announced as part of the triple bill of RHCPs/Nirvana/PJ in December 1991 at the L.A. Sports Arena

That was also my first PJ show.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Started with 10 in middle school, by high school starting in 94 my friends and I were all absorbed in the grunge nirvana vs pj stuff, buying bootleg cd’s with whatever cash we had.  We were obsessed, all fan club members, and crazy as shit- I remember all of our dates in our high school prom limo senior year in 98 made the driver play Ten because they assumed that would keep us calm and romantic or something.  We all had our first show in nyc 96 at Randall’s island where we were completely guilty of being those guys in the pit.... just slamming into people, going completely ape shit and crowd surfing continuously for pretty much the whole show,  I think I got thrown over the front rail at least 10 times. Crazy fuckers at age 16.  I then saw them in Montreal in 98 but it was much different experience without GA.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.