Options

Dying alone

Comments

• Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Just start a new thread about it! Could be interesting.... 
  • Options
    Something positive would be great...
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,964
    I reckon single could be great fun. Ive never been single ever. Wow strange to think really
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    I tried and for some reason, wasn't able to choose a category in order to start a new discussion, so if someone else wants to start the thread or tell me what I'm possibly doing wrong...I'm open to suggestions.
  • Options
    Actually, it would be better if someone else started the thread. I suck at thread creation & maintenance, seriously.
  • Options
    You could call it "Singles Theory"... ;)
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha, maintaining myself is a feat in itself, let alone tending to a thread of mine!

For me, adopting the "if it happens, it will in its own time" philosophy made a huge difference.  It wasn't even a conscious choice, more like self-evolution.  There are always avenues to be taken if someone is honestly looking for a relationship, but if not?  Just enjoy the ride and see where it takes you...and to whom.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    I've never not been single so have the advantage that I can't really miss what I've never had. As an introvert I'm most comfortable in my own company and I appreciate being able to do as I like and suit myself. I travel alone and I never have to factor anyone else into my plans. My time is my own and only I decide how I spend it. The freedom is wonderful
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:
    Join a meet up group man. It's not dating at all - it's just a group of people getting together to share common interests (lots of different kinds of groups to choose from), and to get to know each other, and maybe you meet someone who's a match while you're having fun socially. No pressure. Go here: https://www.meetup.com/cities/au/?_cookie-check=0n1Qk7Bz-sZA-ArG

Thanks. Yeah I know about that site all too well.
    A psychologist I was seeing on a weekly basis a few years ago kept asking me to join to get me to try overcome my social anxiety and loneliness but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't feel comfortable and optimistic about it. I believe it is what caused my psychologist to get frustrated at me and why it ended our relationship. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    Join a meet up group man. It's not dating at all - it's just a group of people getting together to share common interests (lots of different kinds of groups to choose from), and to get to know each other, and maybe you meet someone who's a match while you're having fun socially. No pressure. Go here: https://www.meetup.com/cities/au/?_cookie-check=0n1Qk7Bz-sZA-ArG

A psychologist I was seeing on a weekly basis a few years ago kept asking me to join to get me to try overcome my social anxiety and loneliness but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I didn't feel comfortable and optimistic about it. I believe it is what caused my psychologist to get frustrated at me and why it ended our relationship. 
    Then if you are not willing to go out and meet people, then how do you expect to meet people?  You say you are lonely. what are you doing to end your loneliness?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    As in Have Fun Stay Single?  :)
    We could do that.
  • Options

I reckon single could be great fun. Ive never been single ever. Wow strange to think really
    That is one amazing streak right there. I would love to hear what you've learned about yourself over the years as a result of that...
  • Options

hedonist said:
    Ha, maintaining myself is a feat in itself, let alone tending to a thread of mine!

For me, adopting the "if it happens, it will in its own time" philosophy made a huge difference.  It wasn't even a conscious choice, more like self-evolution.  There are always avenues to be taken if someone is honestly looking for a relationship, but if not?  Just enjoy the ride and see where it takes you...and to whom.
    And you know what? Sometimes the threads where the original poster just steps aside and let people run with it, end up being some of the better threads. 

I think that is the best attitude to adopt. I really do.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJ_Soul said:

It's not about feeling comfortable. You are already doing what feels comfortable and you're unhappy and lonely. Changing your life will require doing what makes you uncomfortable.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

That is one amazing streak right there. I would love to hear what you've learned about yourself over the years as a result of that...
    There probably is enough space to fit it here. But you have given me food for thought thank you. Im looking into it!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It's not about feeling comfortable. You are already doing what feels comfortable and you're unhappy and lonely. Changing your life will require doing what makes you uncomfortable.
    These words you should really listen to . Oftenreading has spelt this out to perfection. Well explained
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The thought of going to a social gathering to meet new people, would make me anxious. Not only because I would be expecting to make a friend, but also someone else might have the same expectation of me. People are different. And need to find their own way. The way that makes them feel comfortable, so they will be more likely to be successful.For me, I like posting on here. And that feels more comfortable than a face-to-face meeting. Not that I rely completely on this forum to combat loneliness, but it is a great comfort. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
  • Options

There probably is enough space to fit it here. But you have given me food for thought thank you. Im looking into it!
    Yes, that isn't a question one can really answer in a couple of sentences, is it? I will await your essay, sir.  =)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    PJ_Soul said:

The thought of going to a social gathering to meet new people, would make me anxious. Not only because I would be expecting to make a friend, but also someone else might have the same expectation of me. People are different. And need to find their own way. The way that makes them feel comfortable, so they will be more likely to be successful.For me, I like posting on here. And that feels more comfortable than a face-to-face meeting. Not that I rely completely on this forum to combat loneliness, but it is a great comfort. Sometimes it doesn't take much.
    My words were not directed at you, OSG, but at TA, who has voiced unhappiness with his current state. Of course, everyone has the option to make their own choices as to how they proceed with life. I personally think the idea of doing what is “comfortable” is overrated. Stretching ourselves to grow and change is not comfortable but it is very worthwhile. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Oftenreading nailed it. Some of my best most life changing experiences have happened when I put myself in uncomfortable situations.

You have to put yourself out there.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

My words were not directed at you, OSG, but at TA, who has voiced unhappiness with his current state. Of course, everyone has the option to make their own choices as to how they proceed with life. I personally think the idea of doing what is “comfortable” is overrated. Stretching ourselves to grow and change is not comfortable but it is very worthwhile. 
    I know your words weren't  directed at me. I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Probably shouldn't  have quoted you. My mistake. 

I think that life presents us with enough challenges, and that we shouldn't have to go against our true nature in order to challenge ourselves. I think it causes undue pressure that can be harmful at times.I think it is great if someone who normally wouldn't be sociable wants to challenge themselves by putting themselves out there. I just don't think they should feel pressure to change.

• Options
    dignin said:
    Oftenreading nailed it. Some of my best most life changing experiences have happened when I put myself in uncomfortable situations.

You have to put yourself out there.
    I agree at this . I ve been doing it alll my life and its very exciting in the end. Push your limits everyday
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

Yes, that isn't a question one can really answer in a couple of sentences, is it? I will await your essay, sir.  =)
    I am getting straight to it mam
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    The thing is, if you go out to meet strangers you should expect nothing. If you do you have this pressure and you will be disappointed. Maybe it's a good idea just to go out get used to it. No expectations and maybe you feel better after a while and getting more comfortable. 
    You wouldn't find a person for a relationship this way anyway, if you expect too much. But it's true, you'll never know what could happen, so just try it. 
    Sometimes it happens just when you expect nothing. And then it's easy and clear.

So whether you are looking for a relationship or not, you should get yourself out of the house! :)
  • Options
    I would just love if that thread turns into something positive...
  • Options
    Maybe we should ask TA to start it? We want a Singles thread, TA. Will you please start a positive Singles thread? :)
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    We could do that.

I was more thinking about PJ's Single Theory... not single but singles ... like it sounds good... 
    ...to be honest I didn't get what you mean, I had to google it (language barrier)... but yes that's good reason too... :lol:
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    We could do that.

I was more thinking about PJ's Single Theory... not single but singles ... like it sounds good... 
    ...to be honest I didn't get what you mean, I had to google it (language barrier)... but yes that's good reason too... :lol:
    :lol:    Oh! I was thinking of the movie Singles. Sorry.  =)
  • Options
    Maybe we should ask TA to start it? We want a Singles thread, TA. Will you please start a positive Singles thread? :)

I assume we have to wait, he might is sleeping already in Australia? :lol:
  • Options
    kce8 said:
    kce8 said:
    We could do that.

:lol:    Oh! I was thinking of the movie Singles. Sorry.  =)

Yeah I know, but I haven't seen it since then... :| 
    :lol: