Options

Your favorite ending to a PJ concert you’ve seen?

Comments

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,323
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    edited January 2018
    Chicago HOB 10-5-2005.  Playing "Thank You" with Robert Plant and than Robert Plant picking up Eddie's guitar and jamming with the band on "RITFW" .  Not to mention catching a tambourine at the end of the show.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Pap said:
    This is a beautiful rendition, for sure. Nicely paced. Still love it but they play it pretty fast these days, don't they?
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,597
    LA Gibson Ampitheater Night 3 2009. Chris Cornell came out for Hungerstrike, and then Jerry Cantrell joined on Alive. I still remember waking back to parking through Citywalk and everyone still being in shock Chris came out for Hungerstrike, and wondering how they could top that for Night 4.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,515
    my favorite near-ending to a PJ show.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns   Shoe the Shoeless!   Awesome setlist.
  • Options
    Around and Around
    Seattle 2018
  • Options
    NWOntario said:
    PB11041 said:
    In terms of nearly flawless awe both 9.11.98 and 7.8.03 at MSG were incredible encores.  

But it is hard to put anything into perspective having been at Penn State 5.3.03 - If they did not butcher the impromptu Satan's Bed, it was otherwise the most raucous incredible encore they have ever done.
    I dunno, I thought them butchering "Satan's Bed" made the show even more memorable. It was such a spontaneous, off-the-cuff moment.
    Plus, Mike playing the "Bu$hleaguer" riff at the end of YL what, four days after the Nassau show? That was fantastic, too.
    My friend turned to me after that "Satan's Bed" and said "I'll take that!."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Penn State '03 was an absolute riot! Thinking the show was over when the played Leaving Here, but the lights didn't go up.  About 1/3 of the arena left thinking it was the end, then the boys came back out on stage. Eddie says "At this point, we dare you to leave."  Then into Crazy Mary - Porch - Fortunate Son - Rockin' - Ledbetter.  At some point he holds his giant wine bottle up and says "We're not leaving 'til this is empty."  Then proceeds to duck behind a speaker cabinet on Stone's side of the stage and pour the rest out.  Comes back, takes one last swig and turns the bottle upside down to show the crowd.  My buddy and I were like, you lying sack of shit, play more songs!!  Freakin hilarious.

I'd have to give an honorable mentions to my very first show ever - Pittsburgh '00 - for ending with Baba O'Riley, my favorite song of all time and to St. Paul '14 for getting to slow dance in the pit with a beautiful woman to Indifference.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,323
    rummy said:
    Pap said:
    This is a beautiful rendition, for sure. Nicely paced. Still love it but they play it pretty fast these days, don't they?
    A little bit, yes. In this case, I think it's Matt's and not Stone's fault. :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    edited January 2018
    Not quite the end, but 4/11/94 Boston Garden, Ed using the base of his mic stand to bash a hole in the stage floor at the end of RITFW, waving goodbye and exiting the stage through the hole.
    Post edited by Poncier on
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    Poncier said:
    Not quite the end, but 4/11/94 Boston Garden, Ed using the base of his mic stand to bash a hole in the stage floor at the end of RIRTF, waving goodbye and exiting the stage through the hole.

Winner!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    I've only been to one show, but it was pretty memorable. 

RITFW with Chad Smith, Josh Klinghoffer and Nathan Followill @ Jazzfest
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,856
    One that comes to mind is Nashville '03.... 
    Ed brought out Steve Earle to duet on Fortunate Son :rock_on: and then Sleater Kinney joined the party for a RITFW outro.
    #PJtour2019_Nashville :look_at_the_time:
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,937
    2013 Wrigley when they walk off the stage at 2:08 AM...
    Yeah this was awesome. And we are unlikely to ever experience anything like it again.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306

Toronto - 6/28/03  Baba O'Riley to close the show.  My wife had just cried about not getting a tambourine before Baba. I make eye contact with Ed as he was pacing the floor.  I pointed down at my wife who was standing in front of me.  Ed leaned over and flipped her a tambourine :)  Very cool!

If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    2013 Wrigley when they walk off the stage at 2:08 AM...
    Yeah this was awesome. And we are unlikely to ever experience anything like it again.

Agreed!
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited February 2018
    little wing
    it hasn't happened for me yet...
    seattle 2018. i can only hope...
    jimi was born there so it's gotta happen  LOL
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,838
    edited February 2018
    When Neil walked onstage in Toronto that place lost it. The whole audience collectively lost their minds. I'll never forget that.

• Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    edited February 2018
    twmills said:
    In the 4 shows that I've only attended, Milwaukee '14 stands out to me. That was the show they played Yield in its entirety, which was awesome in itself. Then ended the 2nd encore with Black, Alive, Fuckin' Up and Ledbetter. After Ledbetter finished up, everyone naturally assumed the show was over as the lights turned on. Then McCready busted into the Star-Spangled Banner, which he destroyed (in a good way). So awesome.
    I got a good view of the rest of the band as Mike was shredding out the Star-Spangled Banner.  Stone still had the cheesehead on and Eddie was still wearing that ugly Packers Jersey.
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng-CGlk_wRM
    Post edited by Eddieshometown on
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    Penn State '03 was an absolute riot! Thinking the show was over when the played Leaving Here, but the lights didn't go up.  About 1/3 of the arena left thinking it was the end, then the boys came back out on stage. Eddie says "At this point, we dare you to leave."  Then into Crazy Mary - Porch - Fortunate Son - Rockin' - Ledbetter.  At some point he holds his giant wine bottle up and says "We're not leaving 'til this is empty."  Then proceeds to duck behind a speaker cabinet on Stone's side of the stage and pour the rest out.  Comes back, takes one last swig and turns the bottle upside down to show the crowd.  My buddy and I were like, you lying sack of shit, play more songs!!  Freakin hilarious.

I'd have to give an honorable mentions to my very first show ever - Pittsburgh '00 - for ending with Baba O'Riley, my favorite song of all time and to St. Paul '14 for getting to slow dance in the pit with a beautiful woman to Indifference.
    A further amazing feat about Penn State is that it happened directly the night after a pretty freaking epic show in Buffalo NY in its own right.
    In fact the final week of that tour had the whole crew trekking, they went from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia (dropping an epic night at the Spectrum) back north to Albany (and despite a tight curfew knocked out a pretty stellar show with a couple of rare gems) then back down the Thruway and out to Long Island for a strong show that is often way overlooked for the Bu$hleaguer incident, then one night off while they trek all the way back to western New York just short of Canada, crazy ass Buffalo set, then finish it off on a Saturday in Central PA with a set that includes a 17 song encore which is at par the length of most of their main sets at the time.

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    NWOntarioNWOntario Toronto Posts: 824
    PB11041 said:

A further amazing feat about Penn State is that it happened directly the night after a pretty freaking epic show in Buffalo NY in its own right.
    In fact the final week of that tour had the whole crew trekking, they went from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia (dropping an epic night at the Spectrum) back north to Albany (and despite a tight curfew knocked out a pretty stellar show with a couple of rare gems) then back down the Thruway and out to Long Island for a strong show that is often way overlooked for the Bu$hleaguer incident, then one night off while they trek all the way back to western New York just short of Canada, crazy ass Buffalo set, then finish it off on a Saturday in Central PA with a set that includes a 17 song encore which is at par the length of most of their main sets at the time.

Penn State gets all the attention, but Buffalo was even better. Best concert I've ever seen; best concert I ever will see. Afterwards the four of us sat in the car and didn't talk for five minutes - then drove back across the Peace Bridge blasting (of all things) the Top Gun Anthem with the windows rolled down.
    The fact that I saw these two concerts on the same weekend makes me feel pretty damn lucky.
    Minneapolis 1998 | Jones Beach I & II, Montreal, and Toronto 2000 | Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal and Hershey 2003 | Boston I & II 2004 | Thunder Bay, Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto 2005 | Toronto I & II 2006 | The Vic and Lollapalooza 2007 | Calgary and Toronto 2009 | PJ20 I & II, Toronto I & II, Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton 2011 | London, Chicago, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver and Seattle 2013 | Ottawa and Toronto I & II 2016 | Chicago I & II 2018 | Ottawa, Hamilton and Toronto 2022
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    NWOntario said:
    PB11041 said:

Penn State gets all the attention, but Buffalo was even better. Best concert I've ever seen; best concert I ever will see. Afterwards the four of us sat in the car and didn't talk for five minutes - then drove back across the Peace Bridge blasting (of all things) the Top Gun Anthem with the windows rolled down.
    The fact that I saw these two concerts on the same weekend makes me feel pretty damn lucky.
    Wasn't at Buffalo but I know that is a damn good bootleg!
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,773
    NWOntario said:
    PB11041 said:

Hard to argue. Had I been at Buffalo, I would have a very different feeling about the show, but it is a great set, a great boot and probably my favorite of all the shows from 2003 that I did not attend.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 236
    Cincy 2014, house lights were up and Mike was finishing YL, Ed and Stone were way off to the side and my seats were kind of right in front of where they were standing.  Both of them were talking, laughing and just kind of taking it all in. I don't know these guys in the least, but just a moment were they seemed real appreciative of the night, the crowd, etc.  Stoney was drinking a beer.  Just thought that was kind of cool.
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Not sure I'd call it my favorite ending, but it was one of the most hysterical and surreal endings I remember and it was definitely memorable!  Boston '06, 2nd/last Boston show at Great Woods, finale with Ted Leo & the Pharmacists.  I don't even remember what song they did!  But the dude who usually went to Great Woods shows dressed in a cow got pulled up onstage and it was already a rowdy lively ending, but at some point with all the people singing and dancing and playing onstage, I'll never forget looking up and the dude in the cow costume with giant pink teats is towering over Stone waving his arms and dancing, and Stone is still actively playing guitar on his knees but also sucking the teats on the cow...

It was hysterical, surreal, maybe slightly disturbing, and musically of course no one missed a beat. It was awesome!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    JH6056 said:
    Not sure I'd call it my favorite ending, but it was one of the most hysterical and surreal endings I remember and it was definitely memorable!  Boston '06, 2nd/last Boston show at Great Woods, finale with Ted Leo & the Pharmacists.  I don't even remember what song they did!  But the dude who usually went to Great Woods shows dressed in a cow got pulled up onstage and it was already a rowdy lively ending, but at some point with all the people singing and dancing and playing onstage, I'll never forget looking up and the dude in the cow costume with giant pink teats is towering over Stone waving his arms and dancing, and Stone is still actively playing guitar on his knees but also sucking the teats on the cow...

It was hysterical, surreal, maybe slightly disturbing, and musically of course no one missed a beat. It was awesome!

2008 actually...6.05 mark..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJOZkkhWS2A

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    YES YES YES!!!  That was even more freaky than I thought, the cow dude hitting himself on the head with a tamborine and pulling his own tale, and Stone sucking teats while playing guitar... enthusiastically I might add...  Whoa!  My jaw almost hit the floor again seeing it now, and I was there in 2008 (thanks for correction!)!

Yup, that takes some sort of cake... not sure what kind of cake, but that definitely takes A cake!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    My favorite ending came in 2006 at the Santa Barbara Bowl.  Once the show was over, I chatted with someone who would eventually become my wife!   =)
  • Options
    Rockin in the free World with Bono in Toronto 05, Baba O in Albany 03 was incredible or long road Seattle 01 at the Hunger benefit was great too 
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    My favorite ending came in 2006 at the Santa Barbara Bowl.  Once the show was over, I chatted with someone who would eventually become my wife!   =)
    New winner

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore