Options

Please tell me if GA is a good idea for a 5' 2" tall, mild mannered woman

2»

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    :lol:  Dyer is a 5;2" mild mannered woman? 

Oh, oops! I meant Dyer is ISO....
    Ha! Was just joking.  I figured maybe he was vertically challenged and you were busting his chops.
    Well, I am only 5'7". 
    5" can make a big difference!  ;)   
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    edited January 2018
    I'm tall, so all I know is that some of the women your height who I see in the pit look pretty miserable because they can't see anything besides people's backs. I also often see short women in the pit get pissy about it and then they try to barge their way up to the rail, people get pissed off, and the short gals end up standing there about 6 deep with everyone around them and in front of them feeling pretty negative about the whole thing, lol. I have seen this happen in pits over and over, and it's a bummer. I always think "too bad that short woman didn't get seats instead, or get here way earlier so she could rightfully have a spot on the rail". This is just pure observation, and I don't mean to suggest that every short person in the pit is like this, of course. It's just something I see repeatedly with some short ladies.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm tall, so all I know is that some of the women your height who I see in the pit look pretty miserable because they can't see anything besides people's backs. I also often see short women in the pit get pissy about it and then they try to barge their way up to the rail, people get pissed off, and the short gals end up standing there about 6 deep with everyone around them and in front of them feeling pretty negative about the whole thing, lol. I have seen this happen in pits over and over, and it's a bummer. I always think "too bad that short woman didn't get seats instead, or get here way earlier so she could rightfully have a spot on the rail". This is just pure observation, and I don't mean to suggest that every short person in the pit is like this, of course. It's just something I see repeatedly with some short ladies.
    I hate it when short women pull the "I'm short" card and bully their way to the front. 

If I get rail, it is because no one was standing there at that spot. There have been times I have worked my way in, but I have only done that as the pit crowd has moved and shifted. 

I will admit that if I get rail, I will hang on and I will not be bullied out of my spot. At MMJ this summer, a fellow forum member and I had some very aggressive woman try to jam herself between us. Now, had she talked to us instead of try to take us out, we would have made room. Instead, L and I looked at each other, spread our feet wide and leaned in to squeeze her out. Even then, it took our male friend behind us to tell her twice that it was time for her to leave. Had we not been with our two male friends, she would haved started shit with us again when we left. What is funny is that prior to that, it was a very chill crowd, everyone was kind and there was a dude dancing around barefoot while holding up a pineapple with big googly eyes. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    That wasn’t a pineapple the guy was holding 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    deadendp said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I hate it when short women pull the "I'm short" card and bully their way to the front. 

If I get rail, it is because no one was standing there at that spot. There have been times I have worked my way in, but I have only done that as the pit crowd has moved and shifted. 

I will admit that if I get rail, I will hang on and I will not be bullied out of my spot. At MMJ this summer, a fellow forum member and I had some very aggressive woman try to jam herself between us. Now, had she talked to us instead of try to take us out, we would have made room. Instead, L and I looked at each other, spread our feet wide and leaned in to squeeze her out. Even then, it took our male friend behind us to tell her twice that it was time for her to leave. Had we not been with our two male friends, she would haved started shit with us again when we left. What is funny is that prior to that, it was a very chill crowd, everyone was kind and there was a dude dancing around barefoot while holding up a pineapple with big googly eyes. 
    Oh, same here. Once I claim a spot on the floor or on the rail, nobody is going to bully or guilt me out of that spot. If anyone is going to get it it's because I decide I want to give it to them (which I have done). Some people literally try to take your spot while you're standing it. Well, good luck! I'm pretty damn strong, and few people are going to get me to budge, and honestly if they try too hard they're going to end up with my elbow on whatever part of their body matches up with it, and with short people it's usually their head. Obviously I'm not going around elbowing people on purpose - I'm talking about someone who is actually forcefully trying to move me so they can stand where I am standing - it's self-defense. What amazes me is just how common this scenario is. Just about every pit I've been in this happens at least once, and yes, unfortunately and no offense to the good shorties, lol, but it is almost always short women. Weird. I can't believe that people can be so pushy and rude. At times it could even be considered minor assault TBH.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    PP193448 said:
    You can chill at the back of the GA pit, have plenty of room to jump and dance, no one immediately in front of you with likely decent view, and come and go for drinks and pee breaks without people bitching at you .  Still better than reserved seats on the floor.  
    Hung out at back of GA in Cincy and had a great time.  While I didn’t get to sip Ed’s wine, high five Mike, or have Stones sweat drip on me, it was not stressful (no asshats pushing and shoving and no 7 ft person standing motionless with arms crossed in front of me).  But I’m a guy at 5,11” so I can usually see ok in the pit anyway.
    I tend to hang out in the back of GA just because I don't like fighting for a spot and/or having to deal with idiots

GA at Wrigley wasn't good in back of the middle....it was absolutely packed.  We ended up off to the side which was ok but there definitely wasn't a good time to be had in the back.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts & experiences.  Seems like the back / sides of GA is the way to go for this short, shy, introvert.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    edited January 2018
    I wouldn’t agree that the pit is “chill”. You are always going to have some pushing and shoving at points. All it takes is one person and the “vibes” sour quickl
    But if you are less than 6' GA will be a pain unless you hang in the back or off to the sides.

Being in GA is still a fun time if you do get the opportunity.
    I'm 6' and for whatever reason, and without fail, the 6'8" person always ends up in front of me.
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    If you want to chance GA you have to try and increase your chances of getting a spot for you. I think in the first 3-5 rows you want to be able to look up at the band. When I am walking to GA to find my spot I start scanning for a set of people that will be conducive to my viewing g line of vision.

and yes, Wrigley was tight even in back

im excited
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    #420Dabz#420Dabz uSATx Posts: 33
    Just Crowd surf to the front or whatever distance u trying to get to 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,187
    If you spend the night on the street, you are likely to get the rail
    Are ppl in their 40s really still sleeping in the street for rock concerts? You can get third to fifth row with a full nights sleep.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    If you spend the night on the street, you are likely to get the rail
    Are ppl in their 40s really still sleeping in the street for rock concerts? You can get third to fifth row with a full nights sleep.
    Did you watch LP2? Yes, they do. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1