Please tell me if GA is a good idea for a 5' 2" tall, mild mannered woman

giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
I'm thinking about trying for GA tickets for Seattle. I've always had reserved seats, usually side stage and great sight lines . But these stadiums are so huge, and the seats would be so bloody far away.  So I'm thinking about GA. But I'm short and definitely not up for pushing my way through crowds. Would love to hear some advice and about other people's experiences. Thanks.
"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."

Comments

• riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    If you spend the night on the street you will likely get the rail, and then no one can block your view. And the GA pit isn’t rowdy at all. It’s all 10 club people and we all have a fun time and take care of one another!! But your lack of height wouldn’t be fun if you aren’t on the rail 
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    riley540 said:
    If you spend the night on the street you will likely get the rail, and then no one can block your view. And the GA pit isn’t rowdy at all. It’s all 10 club people and we all have a fun time and take care of one another!! But your lack of height wouldn’t be fun if you aren’t on the rail 
    Agree with this. GA is extremely mellow and filled with good vibes so definitely not an issue. I’m 5’11 so can’t really speak to the sight lines you would or wouldnt have. Definitely agree to get the rail u will have to be in line about 36 hours early. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Shoulders, backs and asses are what people our height see. (I'm a lil less than 5'1".) My husband and I had rail for Cincy (far Stone's side) but that was an arena vs stadium. We were in line from noon that day. We were not in the center, but we were good. 

Basically, there is no guarantee that you will get rail. If just hearing and watching screens when you can see them isn't for you, I would go reserved. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,762
    It also depends on your vibe, do you need to be three feet from the stage, or you just want to see, you will be fine if it is the latter, let everyone else go forward and kick back towards the middle.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Just stand a bit to the side?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    If you spend the night on the street, you are likely to get the rail
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited January 2018
    You can chill at the back of the GA pit, have plenty of room to jump and dance, no one immediately in front of you with likely decent view, and come and go for drinks and pee breaks without people bitching at you .  Still better than reserved seats on the floor.  
    Hung out at back of GA in Cincy and had a great time.  While I didn’t get to sip Ed’s wine, high five Mike, or have Stones sweat drip on me, it was not stressful (no asshats pushing and shoving and no 7 ft person standing motionless with arms crossed in front of me).  But I’m a guy at 5,11” so I can usually see ok in the pit anyway.
    Post edited by PP193448 on
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,051
    Never posted but I lurk a lot..I'm pondering this too..5'3..but I don't want to mess with the rail..would be ok in back..I heard it was cramped in Wrigley before even in back..when do you get in line if you don't want rail but don't want the far sides of GA..my 10c number stinks so I'm not sure what to do with ga vs seats
    Thanks in advance 
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Yeah, the pit at Wrigley was ridiculous even in the back.  Better go for reserved at Wrigley or Boston,  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • I'm not a fan of GA, BUT the sound on the floor is always better in stadiums.  Really depends on if you care about seeing the band.  At this point there really isn't much to see (90's Ed is long gone) so I always go for the spot with optimal sound.
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    start training in preparation for aggression
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    www.cluthelee.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611
    :lol:  Dyer is a 5;2" mild mannered woman? 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,730
    Gotta give you kudos on that one. Well played. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    GA is not mellow every moment. And some dude did get kicked out N2 last time. It's not all 10C in the pit.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133

Oh, oops! I meant Dyer is ISO....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,611

Ha! Was just joking.  I figured maybe he was vertically challenged and you were busting his chops.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I wouldn’t agree that the pit is “chill”. You are always going to have some pushing and shoving at points. All it takes is one person and the “vibes” sour quickly
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,831
    FWIW, my wife is 5'-2" and refuses GA b/c she invariably winds up staring between someone's shoulder blades. Maybe you could make friends w/ the folks around you and see if they'd help create good views for you to the stage or, at least, the video screen?
  • i came to the front 30 mins before the show starts in Milton Keynes (60,000 people) all GA. Got the 6th row from the front. just remember to pick the side of the stage. i choose Mike side last time
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • I wouldn’t agree that the pit is “chill”. You are always going to have some pushing and shoving at points. All it takes is one person and the “vibes” sour quickly
    This is correct.

Both times in GA I've had to deal with a drunken asshole or someone that thinks they are entitled to get up to the front five minutes before the show starts...

But if you are less than 6' GA will be a pain unless you hang in the back or off to the sides.

Being in GA is still a fun time if you do get the opportunity.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    i came to the front 30 mins before the show starts in Milton Keynes (60,000 people) all GA. Got the 6th row from the front. just remember to pick the side of the stage. i choose Mike side last time
    I agree. The sides provide a great experience. No need to jam up right in front of Ed 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    deadendp said:
    Shoulders, backs and asses are what people our height see. (I'm a lil less than 5'1".) My husband and I had rail for Cincy (far Stone's side) but that was an arena vs stadium. We were in line from noon that day. We were not in the center, but we were good. 

Basically, there is no guarantee that you will get rail. If just hearing and watching screens when you can see them isn't for you, I would go reserved. 
    Most reserved seating in ballparks are pretty much just hearing and watching screens, anyway.  My reserved Wrigley seats were.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Ha! Was just joking.  I figured maybe he was vertically challenged and you were busting his chops.
    Well, I am only 5'7". 
  • OnWis97 said:
    deadendp said:

Most reserved seating in ballparks are pretty much just hearing and watching screens, anyway.  My reserved Wrigley seats were.
    Same here and I still had a great time.
    I'm through with screaming
  • DiscopijDiscopij Posts: 438
    If you don't mind being in the rear of GA, you will always be able to see.  There is always space in the back and sides, and the back of GA is still a lot closer than non-GA seating.  If you want to be close, you'll be staring at a lot of sweet sweet 40-year-old-man-ass-in-scubby-jeans
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    If you like the smell of butts and armpits, it is the place to be! My wife is 4'10" and GA is sub-optimal for her. We definitely head to the back of the crowd if we're in GA.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    My advice is to stay in the back of the GA.  I actually have the most fun there.  Not only can you see everything, even if you're short, but you have plenty of space to move around.  And you don't have to worry about "getting back up there" to your spot if you have to take a bathroom or beer break.  IMO, the back of GA is the best spot in the house.  
  • I'm on the shorter side, too (5'5") and if I get GA tix I always stand either on the sides or by the sound board. Every so often I will go to a show with others who want to wait on line to get rail and that's fine but it's not what I prefer. 
    I'm through with screaming
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,789
    i came to the front 30 mins before the show starts in Milton Keynes (60,000 people) all GA. Got the 6th row from the front. just remember to pick the side of the stage. i choose Mike side last time

Mike's side always fills up before Stone's 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....????