Options

Ticket Strategy

Comments

• Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    edited February 2018
    BRONDO said:
    So is the sandbagging done??? Can we now make decisions or is there a “wave” coming??
    I just put my selections in. I considered waiting longer but I'm just going reserved so why bother?

I predict many are waiting as long as possible.
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    man, that Missoula GA is awful tempting vs. the Chicago GA odds, smaller venue, about $500 round trip ticket, I might have to change.

if the demand for Missoula doesn't take up all the tickets, then the TM and public sale will get a shot at GA?
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    danimal59danimal59 Rhode Island Posts: 65
    Good Morning Everyone,

If someone has come up with a similar idea let me know. Since I am a 'technical guy', I have been reflecting a lot about the concerns and challenges that many 10 Club members have been raising about 'transferring tickets' or possibly getting too many tickets. Since I am trying to go to Fenway shows, my options are more straight forward than others, but here are some thoughts that I have (I will admit I probably do not have every angle covered).

I realize that this isn't as easy to develop/modify the software application, but conceptually, here are the 'business rules' or logic that I have been thinking about:
    • We know that based on the drawing rules, the Ticket Master system can track and transfer tickets. We also know that the system knows who are active 10 Club members who are able to participate in the drawing.
    • Current Rule: Keep current 'transfer rule the same'. If I go, I can transfer ticket once to someone else.
    • Transfer in Kind: If an active 10 Club member wants to transfer tickets at no charge to another active 10 Club Member they can and no money is transacted. Example, if I ended up with two sets tickets to Fenway (each night of show)  and another ended up with  two sets of tickets (both nights) to Wrigley they could transfer tickets in kind.The 10 Club members who receive the new tickets can transfer one ticket, once to another person.
    • Monetary Transfer: If an active Ten Club member has tickets to a show and another active 10 Club Member wants to purchase, they can. The system will only permit 'face value' transactions (tickets cannot be surcharged) and once transferred the 10 Club recipient can transfer one of the tickets, once to one other person.
    Through the use of API (Application Programming Interface) the TM system should be able to see real-time that both parties to the transaction, and  also manage/limit the number of transfers based on the agreed business rules.

Again, I know that this isn't perfect, and doesn't address every scenario, but I wonder if an approach like this may it a little easier for members to plan, and manage their ticket purchases and shows they would like to attend.

Thanks, and look forward to your thoughts.

Dan
    2016.08.07 - Boston, MA Fenway Park
    2016.05.02 - NYC, Madison Square Garden
    2015.09.26 - NYC, Central Park, Global Citizen Festival
    2014.10.17 - Detroit, MI, Joe Louis Arena
    2010.05.17 - Boston, MA, TD Garden
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    BRONDO said:
    So is the sandbagging done??? Can we now make decisions or is there a “wave” coming??
    Fenway1 lost 7% in less than a day. Definitely heading down to the sixties

Both Seattle reserved holding strong at 99%. Do they have alot of fans there?
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    BRONDO said:
    Fenway1 lost 7% in less than a day. Definitely heading down to the sixties

Both Seattle reserved holding strong at 99%. Do they have alot of fans there?
    Gotta wonder if the band bit off more than they can chew??? Who's in charge of marketing!?!! ;-)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181

danimal59 said:
    Good Morning Everyone,

If someone has come up with a similar idea let me know. Since I am a 'technical guy', I have been reflecting a lot about the concerns and challenges that many 10 Club members have been raising about 'transferring tickets' or possibly getting too many tickets. Since I am trying to go to Fenway shows, my options are more straight forward than others, but here are some thoughts that I have (I will admit I probably do not have every angle covered).

I realize that this isn't as easy to develop/modify the software application, but conceptually, here are the 'business rules' or logic that I have been thinking about:
    • We know that based on the drawing rules, the Ticket Master system can track and transfer tickets. We also know that the system knows who are active 10 Club members who are able to participate in the drawing.
    • Current Rule: Keep current 'transfer rule the same'. If I go, I can transfer ticket once to someone else.
    • Transfer in Kind: If an active 10 Club member wants to transfer tickets at no charge to another active 10 Club Member they can and no money is transacted. Example, if I ended up with two sets tickets to Fenway (each night of show)  and another ended up with  two sets of tickets (both nights) to Wrigley they could transfer tickets in kind.The 10 Club members who receive the new tickets can transfer one ticket, once to another person.
    • Monetary Transfer: If an active Ten Club member has tickets to a show and another active 10 Club Member wants to purchase, they can. The system will only permit 'face value' transactions (tickets cannot be surcharged) and once transferred the 10 Club recipient can transfer one of the tickets, once to one other person.
    Through the use of API (Application Programming Interface) the TM system should be able to see real-time that both parties to the transaction, and  also manage/limit the number of transfers based on the agreed business rules.

Again, I know that this isn't perfect, and doesn't address every scenario, but I wonder if an approach like this may it a little easier for members to plan, and manage their ticket purchases and shows they would like to attend.

Dan

I think the new system is an attempt to prevent people from buying too many tickets.   If it were the old system I'd choose SeattleGA2, Seattle Reserved2, Seattle Reserved1, and then have my wife go SeattleGA1, Seattle Reserved 1.    There's huge potential for me to end up with two pairs, and due to the difficulty in selling them this time around, I'm not really willing to eat $260 USD on the 2nd pair.

By allowing tickets to be transferable, you're allowing people to game the ticketing.   The person the tickets are sold/traded too might have already gotten a pair using their own 10c membership, and buy using multiple memberships, was able to acquire another pair without having qualified for it during the draw.   Some poor schlum might have lost out in the lotto, but this other person got multiple pairs kind of thing.

Other than not having a hard copy ticket, I think the new system is mostly fair.  It makes it expensive and difficult to coordinate multiple memberships like it did in the past.  I think the band wants you to use the 10c tickets you u

• Options
    Zod said:

danimal59 said:
    Good Morning Everyone,

Dan

I think the new system is an attempt to prevent people from buying too many tickets.   If it were the old system I'd choose SeattleGA2, Seattle Reserved2, Seattle Reserved1, and then have my wife go SeattleGA1, Seattle Reserved 1.    There's huge potential for me to end up with two pairs, and due to the difficulty in selling them this time around, I'm not really willing to eat $260 USD on the 2nd pair.

By allowing tickets to be transferable, you're allowing people to game the ticketing.   The person the tickets are sold/traded too might have already gotten a pair using their own 10c membership, and buy using multiple memberships, was able to acquire another pair without having qualified for it during the draw.   Some poor schlum might have lost out in the lotto, but this other person got multiple pairs kind of thing.

Other than not having a hard copy ticket, I think the new system is mostly fair.  It makes it expensive and difficult to coordinate multiple memberships like it did in the past.  I think the band wants you to use the 10c tickets you u

All great points. I did think about ‘gaming system. Where I left off is at two places. If someone tried to game system they still possibly could get ‘stuck’ with tickets they don’t want, plus then need to trade, exchange them. If this concept of more transferability options was attractive to members,I also would consider changing lottery algorithm to take into account the many of the ‘variables’ you mention and weight them to try and achieve the most equitable distribution across shows to try and prevent many of the concerns you raised.

Thanks for your feedback and again I’m fine too with new approach. I just had some thoughts I wanted to bounce off others.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    If I recall in the pre-lottery days wasn't there a case of people "gaming the system" by buying 10C tix they had no intention of using and transferring them to friends in other parts of the country so those folks could take advantage of seniority seating. This was why 10 club put in the no transfer rule.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    If I recall in the pre-lottery days wasn't there a case of people "gaming the system" by buying 10C tix they had no intention of using and transferring them to friends in other parts of the country so those folks could take advantage of seniority seating. This was why 10 club put in the no transfer rule.
    Thanks... I am a relatively newer member, and didn’t know this.
  • Options
    kathynekkathynek of the earth Posts: 59
    Why are tickets soooo expensive this time around?  I remember Wrigley '16 being $180 for the pair.  $65 markup just two years later?  Crazy!  Was hoping to take the kids to one of the shows but damn that is pricey!
    * St. Louis, MO - 02 July 1998 * Chicago, IL - 09 Oct 2000 * St. Louis, MO - 11 Oct 2000
    * Champaign, IL - 23 April 2003 * Las Vegas, NV - 06 June 2003 * Kansas City, KS - 12 June 2003
    * Chicago, IL - 18 June 2003 * St. Louis, MO - 05 Oct 2004 * Chicago, IL - 16 May 2006
    * Milwaukee, WI - 29 June 2006 * Chicago, IL - 05 Aug 2007 * Chicago, IL - 24 Aug 2008
    * Nashville, TN - 17 June 2009 * Nashville, TN - 18 June 2009 * Chicago, IL - 23 Aug 2009
    * St. Louis, MO - 04 May 2010 * Chicago, IL - 28 June 2011 * St. Louis, MO - 01 July 2011
    * East Troy, WI - 03 Sept 2011 * East Troy, WI - 04 Sept 2011 * Chicago, IL - 19 July 2013
    * Chicago, IL - 09 July 2015  * Chicago, IL 20 Aug 2016  * Chicago, IL - 18 Aug 2018 
    * Chicago, IL - 20 Aug 2018  * 2020 NO LUCK! :(
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    It's the best value in Rock for high seniority tickets. Not sure why fans with lower numbers question that. To be fairer, TC membership cost should go way up because of all the multiple accounts.

IMO gaming will continue as winners will flip their +1 to cover the cost of extra pairs
  • Options
    I just changed my priority to Wrigley 1 Res,Wrigley 2 Res from GA. Just want to make sure I get tickets, would love to be in GA but not enough to jeopardize me getting in the building. Waited too long to see them live.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,181
    Poncier said:
    Yah 10c used to let you transfer tickets to another 10c member, but I think it got abused, and 10c discontinued it.

It's the problem with making tickets transferable.   The easier it to transfer tickets, the easier it is to abuse it, hence the less you allow tickets to be more transferable, the harder it is to abuse it.
  • Options
    BelieveYouMeBelieveYouMe Posts: 37
    edited February 2018
    I would like to go to just one of the two Fenway shows, preferably Fenway 2.  I have a low membership number.   I picked Fenway 2 as my only ticket selection.  While I don't want to miss the tour, I am torn about picking Fenway 1 as my 2nd choice (and backup) because I would prefer to avoid spending over $500 (if I get tickets to both shows) since I only want one show...  I wish their ticketing software had an algorithm to allow for this option. 
    04-11-94. The Boston Gahden.  Boston, MA
    10-02-96. The Meadows.  Hartford, CT
    08-29-00. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    07-02-03. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    03-27-11. Tres Mts (with Jeff and Mike).  Paradise Rock Club.  Boston, MA  
    06-16-11. EV solo tour.  The Wang Theater.  Boston, MA
    09-03-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-18. Fenway Park.  Boston, MA
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    I would like to go to just one of the two Fenway shows, preferably Fenway 2.  I have a low membership number.   I picked Fenway 2 as my only ticket selection.  While I don't want to miss the tour, I am torn about picking Fenway 1 as my 2nd choice (and backup) because I would prefer to avoid spending over $500 (if I get tickets to both shows) since I only want one show...  I wish their ticketing software had an algorithm to allow for this option. 
    You will win Fenway 2 though no problem come Monday. You have nothing to worry about and should not put down for the 1st night at all as back up.
  • Options
    Just wanted to double check.....The % in the odds tool is the % for ALL entries, not just Priority #1, correct?
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    You will win Fenway 2 though no problem come Monday. You have nothing to worry about and should not put down for the 1st night at all as back up.
    Actually I have similar dilemma. I want to go on 9/2 and haven’t listed 9/4 as option yet. I’m thinking of putting in for both and if selected for both take son one night and buddy the other. It’s the possible $500 + price tag that is holding me back now. Good luck- I hope that you get the tickets that you want.
  • Options
    Just wanted to double check.....The % in the odds tool is the % for ALL entries, not just Priority #1, correct?
    Yes
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Seeing how Boston 1 is down to 92%, I wonder what the true odds are if you put the saw as #1 priority?
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited February 2018
    So how low does the percentage need it drop before a 2nd choice is not certain?

I really wish they had personalized odds for the choice of your picks.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    I changed to 

BOS N1
    BOS N2
    MIS GA
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    Highest Percentages I’ve seen so close to the cut off
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    amethgr8 said:
    Highest Percentages I’ve seen so close to the cut off
    Definitely.  They must have secured a hell of a lot of tickets!  Nice job 10c!  Here is a definite positive to play non ticketmaster sites.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Mikemzl91Mikemzl91 Posts: 484
    edited February 2018
    1st - Wrigley 2 GA
    2nd - Wrigley 1 GA
    3rd - Wrigley 1 rs
    4th - Wrigley 2 rs 

Thoughts?

Post edited by Mikemzl91 on
  • Options
    Mikemzl91 said:
    1st - Wrigley 2 GA
    2nd - Wrigley 1 GA
    3rd - Wrigley 1 rs
    4th - Wrigley 2 rs 

Thoughts?

Need to put night 1 GA first and you are all set. That way you have a chance at two nights GA. 
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    ehbacon said:
    So how low does the percentage need it drop before a 2nd choice is not certain?

I really wish they had personalized odds for the choice of your picks.
    Theoretically it could drop down to 98% and you not get in with a second pick (or first pick for that matter). In reality with 12 choices to go with this tour for selections it is hard to figure out who has what where. Anything can happen really. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    Mikemzl91 said:
    1st - Wrigley 2 GA
    2nd - Wrigley 1 GA
    3rd - Wrigley 1 rs
    4th - Wrigley 2 rs 

Thoughts?

I would say wrigley 1 ga first then wrigley 2 ga. Then you are good. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    1st Seattle 2 GA
    2nd Seattle 1 GA
    3rd Seattle 2 Res
    4th Seattle 2 Res
    I don't want to think, I wanna feel....

2.5.95 Seattle
    9.16.96 Seattle
    7.18.98 Portland
    7.21.98 Seattle
    7.22.98 Seattle
    10.30.99 Mountain View, CA
    10.31.99 Mountain View, CA
    5.10.00 Bellingham, WA
    11.2.00 Portland, WA
    11.3.00 Boise, ID
    11.5.00 Seattle, WA
    11.6.00 Seattle, WA
    10.22.21 Seattle, WA
    9.1.05 George, WA
    7.6.06 Las Vegas, NV
    7.22.06 George, WA
    7.23.06 George, WA
    6.28.08 Mansfield, MA
    9.21.09 Seattle, WA
    9.22.09 Seattle, WA
    11.29.13 Portland, OR
    12.6.13 Seattle, WA
    8.8.18 Seattle, WA
    8.10.18 Seattle,WA
  • Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    Mikemzl91 said:
    1st - Wrigley 2 GA
    2nd - Wrigley 1 GA
    3rd - Wrigley 1 rs
    4th - Wrigley 2 rs 

Thoughts?

Like everybody else says, put GA 1 first, and I have a hard time believing that you won't get tickets to both nights. 

Doesn't matter if Wrigley reserved odds drop to 75%. I still believe that you'd get it with your third pick. Remember, some people are trying for tickets to multiple cities. That and the GA drawing should help with reserved if you get shut out on picks 1 and 2.

• Options
    3days3days Posts: 1,152
    1st Seattle 2 GA
    2nd Seattle 1 GA
    3rd Seattle 2 Res
    4th Seattle 2 Res
    Change your 4th pick to Seattle 1 Res, and you should be all set.