Options

Beard help/products

I'm 3 weeks in without shaving. (I shave about once a week with minimal growth). 

I want to rip my face off. I am trying to grow it out but the irritation is killing me! It seems like some products are a little pricey, and seem like a they wouldnt work. Also, I dont want to spend too much money if I end up shaving soon anyway because it doesnt work.

Is there anything else i should be doing? Brushing it? Its not even that long! I must be doing something wrong!

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The irritation goes away, there's nothing you can do for the first few weeks.
    After the beard comes in, it's never a problem again, as opposed to shaving, which causes irritation every time you do it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Yeah I was gonna say the time period where you're first growing it out is the worst. Once it's filled out and you're to the point where you're just trimming it for up keep you should be good. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,628

;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

;)
    Booo!  Get the fuck out of here with your unnatural face scraping!
  • Options
    :lol: I wanna see your faces, dammit!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    PJ_Soul said:

;)
    Mach 3 is soooo yesterday
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Beards rule
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I started using a DE safety razor a little over a year ago and haven't fucked with cartridge razors since.  I have a Merkur 34C handle and primarily use Gillette Silver Blue blades.  I've found these blades to give the closest, smoothest shave with the least amount of knicks and irritation.  SuperMax Platinum and Trig Silver Edge round out my top 3.  I hear a lot of people swear by Feather blades but I found them to be a bit too sharp, causing many knicks.  I've also heard good things about Shark blades but I've never used them.  I use a Proraso shave soap (the kind that comes in a bowl) and work up a lather with a brush. It has oatmeal and green tea which soothes the skin and helps prevent irritation, with a very subtle scent.  It's also over 95% natural and unlike that shit in a can, isn't full of compressed air and gases.  One pass down my neck, one pass up, one pass across the grain, and one final pass down.

The best part is a 25 pack of razors costs about $7 and will last me 6 months.  The soap bowl is $10 and will last me about 2 years. It now costs me about $20 a year to shave vs $30 every other month for Fusion cartridges and a can of shave gel.  Plus, it makes the whole shaving routine feel more fun and less of a chore. 

As for other facial care, a charcoal activated face wash daily, and a scrub once a week.  I don't use beard oil as I don't let my beard grow that long (trim about every 2 weeks just using a pair of hair clippers with a #1 guard) but it does help with the itch, keeps it soft, and prevents stray hairs from sticking out all over the place.  I'd recommend it if you're trying to grow your beard out any significant length.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here ya go
  • Options
    Brony said:
    I'm 3 weeks in without shaving. (I shave about once a week with minimal growth). 

I want to rip my face off. I am trying to grow it out but the irritation is killing me! It seems like some products are a little pricey, and seem like a they wouldnt work. Also, I dont want to spend too much money if I end up shaving soon anyway because it doesnt work.

Is there anything else i should be doing? Brushing it? Its not even that long! I must be doing something wrong!
    I just started using beard oil and it's a very pleasant scent.
    https://www.target.com/p/every-man-jack-beard-oil-sandalwood-1-0-fl-oz/-/A-17419628?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health+Beauty+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Health+Beauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9004451&gclid=CjwKCAiAhfzSBRBTEiwAN-ysWJtOK9CFnSIzzVOMI1Lv1xQRjrkjx8Nahffpl5hDrTlKfgszqfWPihoCSxMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options

Tons of face right there!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

;)
    I actually use the Fusion Proglide myself - you're right, Mach 3 is very 2005, lol (men's razors are far superior to women's. Women's razors are one of the biggest marketing scams of all time. I would like to encourage all women not to fall for it).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here ya go
    Oh hey, lookit you! ;) Always nice to put faces to names.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here ya go
    Oh hey, lookit you! ;) Always nice to put faces to names.
    Yep!!!

Now you can say hello to me if we are ever at the same show!
  • Options
  • Options
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambs said:

I still don't know what you look like from that photo. :lol:;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: Is that Grimmace??
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here ya go
    Where's the stickers?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Here ya go
    Where's the stickers?
    HAHAHAHA!!! Underneath the socks!!!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:

I still don't know what you look like from that photo. :lol:;)
    This is what I look like in my natural state!
    If civilization and western culture died tomorrow, or we lived before such silly things...this is what I'd look like!
  • Options
    rgambs said:

That is some beard.  Nice work!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

;)
    I actually use the Fusion Proglide myself - you're right, Mach 3 is very 2005, lol (men's razors are far superior to women's. Women's razors are one of the biggest marketing scams of all time. I would like to encourage all women not to fall for it).
    I use Gillette Fusion Proglide too. 
    Best razor I have used.
    I use a RazorPit sharpener after each shave so each blade lasts me a very long time.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Gillette is the best a man (or woman) can get.
  • Options
    You all look different to how I imagined you to look like.
  • Options
    I got rid of my beard a few years ago after I accidentally dropped my Wahl beard trimmer causing it to die. Don't want to spend the cash on a new one.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    You are all very handsome. What a nice thread. :) 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Cookie Monster nomnomnomnom...  :wink:
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    You are all very handsome. What a nice thread. :) 
    Yeah! I'm happy to see you guys. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I was wondering myself. What is going on here? :lol:
    I'm through with screaming