Options

Why did they boo Eddie?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,514
    edited January 2018
    It really is simply extremely rude to boo at any concert, no matter how much you don't like what's going on (i mean, within reason... obviously if the artist does something truly egregious, like hurts someone on purpose or calls someone the n-word or something, that's obviously different). Just not making any noise at all speaks volumes by itself, so booing just because you don't like what the artist is singing about is just asshole behaviour IMO. Save the booing for sports, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    PJ_Soul said:
    It really is simply extremely rude to boo at any concert, no matter how much you don't like what's going on (i mean, within reason... obviously if the artist does something truly egregious, like hurts someone on purpose or calls someone the n-word or something, that's obviously different). Just not making any noise at all speaks volumes by itself, so booing just because you don't like what the artist is singing about is just asshole behaviour IMO. Save the booing for sports, lol.
    Haha, right on PJ_S!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    So, the person onstage can basically say or do anything they please, and the audience has to eat whatever offense they might feel?  Seems like a huge double-standard at play which I can't agree with.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I have an issue with someone booing the performance. 

I do not have an issue with someone booing something the artist says in between the songs, especially if it's political in nature. I can't imagine the band would disagree with that. I gather they prefer people be engaged, no matter positive or negative, as long as they are engaged at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited January 2018

I do not have an issue with someone booing something the artist says in between the songs, especially if it's political in nature. I can't imagine the band would disagree with that. I gather they prefer people be engaged, no matter positive or negative, as long as they are engaged at all. 
    Great post hfd!
    What I was trying to say before is that an artist making political statements in between songs shouldn't expect the entire crowd to nod in agreeance like a bunch of bobbleheads.. I was not implying that pj fans are bobbleheads, not my intention at all.
    And if it is like you say above then alrighty then.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216

With that said, if the song is a political statement, then does that make it ok? Bushleaguer is a mostly spoken word rant with a chorus.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    So, the person onstage can basically say or do anything they please, and the audience has to eat whatever offense they might feel?  Seems like a huge double-standard at play which I can't agree with.
    I would say, yeah, it's their stage.  I totally believe in the right of the artist to control what goes on on the stage.  But the thing is, most artists strive to give their audience a good show.  If I got up on stage and started humming one tone as long as I can, my audience would get very small very quickly.  Pearl Jam seems to do just fine selling tickets so I guess most of what they do still appeals to a large number of fans. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    tbergs said:

With that said, if the song is a political statement, then does that make it ok? Bushleaguer is a mostly spoken word rant with a chorus.
    yes, I believe it would actually fall under that category, especially when he brings out the mask. most artists expect audience engagement, and they'd be hypocritical if they only expected positive feedback or none at all. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    RYME said:

Great post hfd!
    What I was trying to say before is that an artist making political statements in between songs shouldn't expect the entire crowd to nod in agreeance like a bunch of bobbleheads.. I was not implying that pj fans are bobbleheads, not my intention at all.
    Either  boo or nod in agreement?  This seems like black and white thinking.  Booing is mob behavior.  Nodding your head "yes" without critical thinking is sheep behavior.  Listening and making up one's own mind is intelligent behavior.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    RYME said:

Great post hfd!
    Either  boo or nod in agreement?  This seems like black and white thinking.  Booing is mob behavior.  Nodding your head "yes" without critical thinking is sheep behavior.  Listening and making up one's own mind is intelligent behavior.
    how is booing mob behaviour brian? If Ed wants to stand up on stage and make a political statement, that's well within his right. but it's within my right to vocalize my disapproval with said statement, is it not?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Well that's true. I just meant their performances. I absolutely do not think that Bu$hleaguer is an exception to that, and I don't see why anyone would think so. It's not spoken word btw, not that that should make a difference anyhow.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124

Exactly this. I love this band because they are passionate about their beliefs...even if they are often opposite to my beliefs. I applaud and support their right to say anything from the stage as I am sure they are ok with my right to boo (without belligerence) when I see fit. Fan engagement is what matters...it is what makes their shows great...and we should all be able to handle this back and forth respectfully. For the record I loved Bush and Bushleaguer and I hope it gets played again.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Well that's true. I just meant their performances. I absolutely do not think that Bu$hleaguer is an exception to that, and I don't see why anyone would think so. It's not spoken word btw, not that that should make a difference anyhow.
    well Ed thinks so, that it is the audience's right to boo him when he sang Bushleaguer. he stated so right after the performance in Uniondale. he also apologized to the audience after they played it at the showbox after going off on his "fuck war" mid-song rant. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    BS44325 said:

Exactly this. I love this band because they are passionate about their beliefs...even if they are often opposite to my beliefs. I applaud and support their right to say anything from the stage as I am sure they are ok with my right to boo (without belligerence) when I see fit. Fan engagement is what matters...it is what makes their shows great...and we should all be able to handle this back and forth respectfully. For the record I loved Bush and Bushleaguer and I hope it gets played again.
    Exactly. I think Ed is intelligent enough to recognize that people are there for the music primarily, so if he wants to go off on a political rant, if some of the crowd happens to not agree with what he has to say (and out of 15,000 people, that's a guarantee), then I would imagine he'd welcome the back and forth. Which he seemed to, especially when the crowd started chanting "USA". 

Jeff also said he loved it.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

well Ed thinks so, that it is the audience's right to boo him when he sang Bushleaguer. he stated so right after the performance in Uniondale. he also apologized to the audience after they played it at the showbox after going off on his "fuck war" mid-song rant. 
    I don't really care what Ed thinks about it. I also think he never should have apologized. I hate it when he apologizes after making political statements. He did that last year too. It's wimpy IMO.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think it's perfectly within the rights of an audience member to boo, but I think it's childish and lacks class. 
    If you disagree, that's fine, I won't boo ya for it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    BS44325 said:

Exactly. I think Ed is intelligent enough to recognize that people are there for the music primarily, so if he wants to go off on a political rant, if some of the crowd happens to not agree with what he has to say (and out of 15,000 people, that's a guarantee), then I would imagine he'd welcome the back and forth. Which he seemed to, especially when the crowd started chanting "USA". 

Jeff loved being booed? Or did I miss something here?

Personally, I just think booing is classless and rude. The usual method of expressing disagreement at a concert is not to clap or cheer. If you really feel strongly you can walk out. 

Now, I’m not saying it isn't within someone rights to boo, just that I disagree with it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't really care what Ed thinks about it. I also think he never should have apologized. I hate it when he apologizes after making political statements. He did that last year too. It's wimpy IMO.
    so the opinion of the performer making the statement and engaging the crowd is irrelevant to you? oohhhhh kaaaaaayyyyy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    BS44325BS44325 Posts: 6,124
    BS44325 said:

Also with respect to rants in general...my thoughts are this...if they are willing to give me 3 hours per show then they can say whatever the hell they want.
  • Options
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

Also with respect to rants in general...my thoughts are this...if they are willing to give me 3 hours per show then they can say whatever the hell they want.
    I don't particularly think length of show makes a difference. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    BS44325 said:

Personally, I just think booing is classless and rude. The usual method of expressing disagreement at a concert is not to clap or cheer. If you really feel strongly you can walk out. 

Now, I’m not saying it isn't within someone rights to boo, just that I disagree with it. 
    not that he loved being booed, he loved the back and forth between them and the crowd, of them making a political statement and the crowd doing the same. I think it was in PJ20 movie where he stated that. 

booing a performance is rude, yes (like when people boo nickelback, for instance). 

booing a political message is not rude. it is the direct opposite of clapping/cheering. if the door is open to one, it has to be open for the other. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    BS44325 said:

not that he loved being booed, he loved the back and forth between them and the crowd, of them making a political statement and the crowd doing the same. I think it was in PJ20 movie where he stated that. 

booing a performance is rude, yes (like when people boo nickelback, for instance). 

booing a political message is not rude. it is the direct opposite of clapping/cheering. if the door is open to one, it has to be open for the other. 
    The whole show is the performance, not just the singing.

And no, booing is not the opposite of cheering. Not cheering/clapping is the opposite of cheering/clapping. That’s what you do if you don’t like the performance. Booing isn’t really any different than shouting at the performers. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    BS44325 said:

The whole show is the performance, not just the singing.

And no, booing is not the opposite of cheering. Not cheering/clapping is the opposite of cheering/clapping. That’s what you do if you don’t like the performance. Booing isn’t really any different than shouting at the performers. 
    google "opposite of cheering/clapping". 

I can, and I'm sure the band can, differentiate between people booing a political sentiment between songs and booing when Ed fucks up the lyrics to wishlist. completely different things. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    BS44325 said:
    BS44325 said:

Fuck yeah!
    Every time they tour I see weirdo freaks come on here and say their sets are too long, 3 hours is too much they say.

Blasphemy in the highest degree!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I think it's perfectly within the rights of an audience member to boo, but I think it's childish and lacks class. 
    If you disagree, that's fine, I won't boo ya for it.
    Yeah, it is certainly within their rights, of course. It's just rude as fuck.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

so the opinion of the performer making the statement and engaging the crowd is irrelevant to you? oohhhhh kaaaaaayyyyy. 
    Well there isn't anything relevant to think about with the first part. It's a fact, not an opinion. Of course it's the audience's right to boo him. It's a free country, relatively. That doesn't mean I think it is right to do in terms of not being a rude idiot. And yeah, I really do think that apologizing for saying something he meant is super lame.
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I never said anyone does not have the right to boo.  It's just not something I do. 

If Ed or Nugent or anybody got up on stage and said something I disagreed with I might, at most, shake my head and said, "no way man" (which would be drowned out by the booing, so who would know or care anyway).  Booing is about the last way to make somebody change their mind about something.  I can think of several better ways to make an opposing argument.  To my way of thinking, booing is childish at best, bullying at worst.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538