Options

Black Mirror - Netlflix Original Series

2»

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    That really is brutal, and I'm a bit bummed by that news. I don't get it. Why are they so insanely stingy with the Black Mirror episodes? They always have been. They're great, but it's not like they are so crazy they can't possible manage a 10 episode season. So strange. Especially since they have literally endless possibilities for the storylines.
    You know Charlie Brooker writes most of them? Its up to him. And it sounds like he spent a lot of time on Bandersnatch. And they increased in episodes once Netflix took over from BBC.
    Post edited by pjsteelerfan on
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I just watched episode 1 of season 1. that was...um....unsettling. 
    Yeah the first one I've found very polarizing when I talk to people about it (same for 15 Million Merits), and it can throw people off from watching the rest of the series.

I'm jealous that you're just starting this show now.
    I am...sort of. when it first appeared on netflix, I was confused when I found out the episodes I had watched were actually from season 4, not season 1, but those were the only episodes that were listed initially. I've only watched the first 3 ep's of season 4 (when I found out I wasn't going in order, I stopped and waited for the rest to appear, even though I know the ep's are not tied to each other) and now ep 1 of season 1. so I have a few ahead of me. I had forgotten about the show for a while, but now I'm back into it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    That was probably the worst episode so far. The show gets much better as you move along.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I watched the first 10 min. this morning!  can't wait to see how handles the porcine!! 

So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,487
    That was probably the worst episode so far. The show gets much better as you move along.
    Ιt was what should have been..shock!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    Does anyone else not like this show? I see nothing but positive comments everywhere. I tried it. Liked the first episode but hated the next 3 or 4 and stopped.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited May 2019
    I love it! It's so funny to me. :lol: I think it's the perfect first episode personally.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    That really is brutal, and I'm a bit bummed by that news. I don't get it. Why are they so insanely stingy with the Black Mirror episodes? They always have been. They're great, but it's not like they are so crazy they can't possible manage a 10 episode season. So strange. Especially since they have literally endless possibilities for the storylines.
    You know Charlie Brooker writes most of them? Its up to him. And it sounds like he spent a lot of time on Bandersnatch. And they increased in episodes once Netflix took over from BBC.
    Kay....  I still think it's strange all the seasons are so short, be it with BBC or Netflix. I want more! ;) I wish they'd just tap more writers if one of them is the reason they aren't getting more episodes like you suggest. With an anthology show like this, I would have thought they wouldn't have issues getting great scripts that fit the Black Mirror vibe from various writers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    It's great! I think the worst episode is the one with the robot dog. Season 2 maybe? 3? Can't remember.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Does anyone else not like this show? I see nothing but positive comments everywhere. I tried it. Liked the first episode but hated the next 3 or 4 and stopped.
    Nothing is for everyone.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kay....  I still think it's strange all the seasons are so short, be it with BBC or Netflix. I want more! ;) I wish they'd just tap more writers if one of them is the reason they aren't getting more episodes like you suggest. With an anthology show like this, I would have thought they wouldn't have issues getting great scripts that fit the Black Mirror vibe from various writers.
    Yeah, Charlie Brooker and Annabel Jones are pretty much the show. And I don't say that as a bad thing.

Thinking about it, though, I mean the first two seasons are like that. A  "season" is 3 or 4 episodes. And as eluded above - they were delayed by Bandersnatch. If they can kick out 3 episodes every ~12 months I think I can handle that......as long as it doesn't stop!

By the trailer it looks like one of the episodes is about adultery based around the use of technology. I know some of their themes have been a bit repetitive, but can't believe they really haven't touched on that yet. And another looks like a real-life version of Street Fighter. So, yes, stick it in my veins. 
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Quality over quantity any day of the week.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Quality over quantity any day of the week.
    Yes, but having both is of course achievable, and that is my wish!
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Probably my favorite show going now (didn't like Baldersnatch)
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    Probably my favorite show going now (didn't like Baldersnatch)
    Bandersnatch just didn't have enough different story branches for it to work properly IMO. I'm looking forward to the format advancing though. That was just a prototype.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,487
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited May 2019
    I've watched a few episodes and did the Bandersnatch thing on the computer.  Which one is the one where all the hype kicks in?
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Not a big fan of the new material this season.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Same here on the first new ep. My husband said fuck it but I may try another. 

(and really, Miley?)
  • Options
    Actually kinda liked the Miley episode. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Liked the gaymer episode, (first episode wife ever watched, she kept saying "what are you making me watch? (yet secretly loved it))
    The Miley episode lost me when the kids broke into the house (really cheesy for a black mirror)(felt like a home alone sequel)
    Haven't seen the other episode yet (not rated high on rotten tomatoes)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Loved the first 2 episodes of season 5, and the 3rd absolutely sucked. I actually had to stop watching halfway through. Miley Cyrus as an actor is definitely not someone I have been missing in my life. She's awful.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Yeah, was going to give some more time for people to absorb the new episodes before posting here. But the argument of quality over quantity definitely doesn't stick here. The first episode was solid - definitely not what I was expecting, but didn't come close to going more in-depth. The second episode was the best one by far all things considered. And the third was weak. It turned into a teenie bop adventure movie. Dumb. I dunno, maybe it was needed to pull in a bigger audience? No clue, but it was a waste of time.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Not feeling this season at all. Weak
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Rewatching all the episodes with my wife.
    Going to review them as I go just for my own amusement.
    Feel free to add your own thoughts on each episode if your so inclined.

Episode 1.  "The National Anthem"
    Or as I call it  ####SPOILER####

"pig fucker"
    Very intense episode, good plotting, good acting, good ending.
    May be the best episode of the series.
    9.4 out of 10
    Post edited by Malroth on
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    Rewatching all the episodes with my wife.
    Going to review them as I go just for my own amusement.
    Feel free to add your own thoughts on each episode if your so inclined.

Episode 1.  "The National Anthem"
    Or as I call it  ####SPOILER####

"pig fucker"
    Very intense episode, good plotting, good acting, good ending.
    May be the best episode of the series.
    Based on true events.
  • Options
    S. 1 Ep. 2  "15 million Merits"
    While still being a good episode this seemed to work better as a social commentary than entertainment.
    The lead actor from Get Out is the lead actor in this episode.  He gives one of the more impassioned speeches from recent tv, yet his portrayal of the doldrum isn't as good. This episode would have been better either shorter or longer in my opinion.
    The 'twist' at the end is mostly good, having a more thought out 'reality show' would have made it better.
    8.3 out of 10