My Turntable is Sick

It's a Technics SL-1210MK2... when I play my records... it speeds up and down on some of the tracks. Has anyone experienced this before and found a remedy for this? I know I am thinking of replacing my TT but I like to keep the Technics as it matches my entire Hi-Fi system. Suggestions are welcomed and help would also be appreciated too.

Comments

• dudemandudeman Posts: 3,046
    It could be something as simple as a dirty speed controller. Can't get to it without a fair amount of disassembly though. Might also need parts. No way to tell without looking at it.

Are you mechanically inclined? If not, it would probably be worth the bench fee to take it to a tech.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Motor or belt could be going
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Possibly a motor issue but his turntable doesn't have a belt.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I thought "sick" was a good thing now....
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,761
    I thought "sick" was a good thing now....
    :lol: yeah i was thinking he meant like "dope" or "fly"
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • dudeman said:
    It could be something as simple as a dirty speed controller. Can't get to it without a fair amount of disassembly though. Might also need parts. No way to tell without looking at it.

Are you mechanically inclined? If not, it would probably be worth the bench fee to take it to a tech.
    I am not sure what it is... but I will borrow a digital volt meter from someone (since my own one was never returned) and check out the resisters and other components on the pitch adjustment slider board and the main board too. However I usually have to set to zero on the pitch slider and between -8 and +8 and it is now set to -1 and seems ok for now. and then it can be the pitch slider that may need a looking in. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • dudeman said:
    Possibly a motor issue but his turntable doesn't have a belt.
    This is a direct drive TT and I hope it's not the motor issue and seems to be ok when I set the pitch adjustment to -1
  • @ oftenreading and eeriepadave

I wish it was "sick" "dope" or "fly"  =)
    This might be as simple as getting access to the pitch slider, spraying it out with something like Caig Deoxit and reapplying fader lube to the track.

I'd start there and get out the multimeter if that doesn't fix it. 

Good luck. 

(Nice turntable,  BTW!)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Take it to someone who refurbishes turntables and they'll likely be able to figure it out and fix it for a reasonable price.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    dudeman said:

I am not sure what it is... but I will borrow a digital volt meter from someone (since my own one was never returned) and check out the resisters and other components on the pitch adjustment slider board and the main board too. However I usually have to set to zero on the pitch slider and between -8 and +8 and it is now set to -1 and seems ok for now. and then it can be the pitch slider that may need a looking in. Thanks for the suggestion.

dudeman said:

I would start here with these suggestions, as these are good suggestions to start with. Though this sounds like to me as you may be having some issues with the bearings. Easy fix and not very expensive. I would look to see if there is someone who is certified by Panasonic in your area to take a look at it as Technics is made by Panasonic. 

BTW I like your taste in turntable's. Nothing beats a Technics.