Options

Horse racing yay or neigh?

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    dankind said:
    Bunnies are delicious.
    Yeah, I don't eat rabbit because I have had them as beloved pets (cage-free). But I love duck. I never nurtured a duck.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    Bunnies are delicious.
    Yeah, I don't eat rabbit because I have had them as beloved pets (cage-free). But I love duck. I never nurtured a duck.

This made me laugh...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I love Turkey...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I love Turkey...
    Me too, turkeys are total assholes, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Totally against.  We went once just because I'd never gone.  While we were at the races, one of the people I was with pulled up some disturbing information on her iPhone about the cruelties to these fine beasts,  Never again!  Will not support this!
    Wow you hang with some awesome people!!
    That was a weird response, by the way, Cincy.  :lol:
    Someone that voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race is a jerk. Shoulda done that before going.  Buzzkill! 
    Look, to me you're stepping over a line here, Cincy.  First of all, please back off on the personal shit.  Secondly, the person you just called a jerk is one of the most important people in my life so, please, stuff it.  Thirdly, you're way off base saying something here that isn't true because the person that looked up that information at the track did so because, being a good observer by nature, she didn't like some of the things she was seeing going on.  She had never been to a horse race and had no idea what it was all about.  Having that digital device on hand,  she decided to do some quick research about what she was observing.  She was very discrete about telling me what she learned.  She did not go with the intent to be a "buzz kill".  She did not "voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race". 

:anguished: 

Did she go to the horse race voluntarily?
    fif she look up negative details about the race before or at the race?
    did she tell other st the race about what she was reading?
    kinda a buzzkill. But hey - that is just my opinion and maybe the people with her like doing that sort of thing. 

Though I’ll apologize for the “jerk”, cause we all do jerk things from time to time. So I still think it’s a jerk move. I do that too often, mean “jerk move” and say “jerk”.

That a loaded apology.  But whatever.  I'm moving on.

Whatever Brian / I think you are taking this just a smidge more harsh then you should. 
    Maybe, sorry man.  I'm a fierce defender of people I love and respect.
    Ya I respect you and that’s commendable. You keep being you. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Why don't we eat horses?

In the United States, United Kingdom and some other nations, horse meat is largely reviled. Asked to explain why she would not eat horse meat, New York City resident Victoria Milton compared them to pets, saying that "people have horses and they love them and they're part of their family."

In many other nations, however, eating horse meat is no big deal - and in some cultures, it's even considered a delicacy. Mexico, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Japan, Germany, Indonesia, Poland and China are among the nations where many people eat horse meat without a second thought.

It wouldn't be so bad if the horses were treated the way they need to be treated to live decent lives. But they are obviously horribly neglected and mistreated in the meat market, even under the best conditions. Of course, that can be said of most animals under us in the food chain... It's just that our emotions are more sensitive when it comes to animals we consider pets/companions. Yes, it's hypocritical, but it still makes sense.
    I agree. It is hypocritical and hard to explain, but that is the way it is. While I'm sure horse is a perfectly acceptable type of meat for some people, I have no interest in it because of the pet/companion aspect. I don't care to eat dogs or cats either, for the same reason.
    Jeff you ve never ate grilled dog with s nice local ipa?! Man you don’t know what you are missing!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Totally against.  We went once just because I'd never gone.  While we were at the races, one of the people I was with pulled up some disturbing information on her iPhone about the cruelties to these fine beasts,  Never again!  Will not support this!
    Someone that voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race is a jerk. Shoulda done that before going.  Buzzkill! 
    Look, to me you're stepping over a line here, Cincy.  First of all, please back off on the personal shit.  Secondly, the person you just called a jerk is one of the most important people in my life so, please, stuff it.  Thirdly, you're way off base saying something here that isn't true because the person that looked up that information at the track did so because, being a good observer by nature, she didn't like some of the things she was seeing going on.  She had never been to a horse race and had no idea what it was all about.  Having that digital device on hand,  she decided to do some quick research about what she was observing.  She was very discrete about telling me what she learned.  She did not go with the intent to be a "buzz kill".  She did not "voluntarily goes to horse races to look up and deliver all the bad details to people at the race". 

kinda a buzzkill. But hey - that is just my opinion and maybe the people with her like doing that sort of thing. 

Though I’ll apologize for the “jerk”, cause we all do jerk things from time to time. So I still think it’s a jerk move. I do that too often, mean “jerk move” and say “jerk”.

Whatever Brian / I think you are taking this just a smidge more harsh then you should. 
    I don’t know why you’re apologizing, Brian. You weren’t the one making the rude comments. 

And here they come...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Why don't we eat horses?

In the United States, United Kingdom and some other nations, horse meat is largely reviled. Asked to explain why she would not eat horse meat, New York City resident Victoria Milton compared them to pets, saying that "people have horses and they love them and they're part of their family."

In many other nations, however, eating horse meat is no big deal - and in some cultures, it's even considered a delicacy. Mexico, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Japan, Germany, Indonesia, Poland and China are among the nations where many people eat horse meat without a second thought.

It wouldn't be so bad if the horses were treated the way they need to be treated to live decent lives. But they are obviously horribly neglected and mistreated in the meat market, even under the best conditions. Of course, that can be said of most animals under us in the food chain... It's just that our emotions are more sensitive when it comes to animals we consider pets/companions. Yes, it's hypocritical, but it still makes sense.
    I agree. It is hypocritical and hard to explain, but that is the way it is. While I'm sure horse is a perfectly acceptable type of meat for some people, I have no interest in it because of the pet/companion aspect. I don't care to eat dogs or cats either, for the same reason.
    Jeff you ve never ate grilled dog with s nice local ipa?! Man you don’t know what you are missing!
    :lol:  The mystery meat in hot dogs is as close as I get.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I don’t know why you’re apologizing, Brian. You weren’t the one making the rude comments. 

And here they come...
    Oh, jeez :weary:  

You make the comments, expect some response. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

And here they come...

Umm of course I expected a response. I knew it was coming. Duh 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

And here they come...

Or you could refrain from calling people jerks and buzzkills. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

And here they come...

Hahahaha. I love that you are offended for someone else. 

Brian and I have had plenty of conversations. We have, a few times, not seen eye to eye or sometimes misunderstood what the other person was saying. He’s a great guy. I already apologized for calling someone a jerk, though my opinion is it’s still a jerk move and a buzzkill to do something like that person did. Like going to a steakhouse and looking up treatment of cows. Anyhow, I’m over it with him and actually don’t care what you think.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

And here they come...

Brian and I have had plenty of conversations. We have, a few times, not seen eye to eye or sometimes misunderstood what the other person was saying. He’s a great guy. I already apologized for calling someone a jerk, though my opinion is it’s still a jerk move and a buzzkill to do something like that person did. Like going to a steakhouse and looking up treatment of cows. Anyhow, I’m over it with him and actually don’t care what you think.
    Yeah, I think it’s pretty crummy to offend Brian’s friend. Seems like he does too. 

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    yay.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think the AMT has gotten entirely too sensitive lately. Some of that is normal, but it's raged out of control in the past little while, to the point where hardly anyone is discussing the issues anymore, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think the AMT has gotten entirely too sensitive lately. Some of that is normal, but it's raged out of control in the past little while, to the point where hardly anyone is discussing the issues anymore, lol.
    Ya think?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    jeffbr said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Why don't we eat horses?

:lol:  The mystery meat in hot dogs is as close as I get.

I thought it comes from hot dogs.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    yay.
    Why?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Ya I respect you and that’s commendable. You keep being you. 

Thanks, Cincy.  You too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

And here they come...

Yeah, I think it’s pretty crummy to offend Brian’s friend. Seems like he does too. 

I appreciate your backing, oftenreading.  I know my friend is cool.  You're cool, oftenreading.  Cincy... well...

haha, just kidding.  We're all cool.  Pizza and drinks or soda  for all in the lounge  on me (but ya gotta use your imagination!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    I really don't find people are being too sensitive, I find it's more blowback from people just being dicks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com