Options

The Vietnam War on PBS

13»

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    According to a poll, 58% of people thought the Kent State killings were justified. WTF?! I just don't even know what to say
    It isn't even very surprising, we have a major cult of authority worship over here.
    It's similar to the tendancy to justify police shootings.

It's the reason so many volunteered for such an obviously fucked up war.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    rgambs said:
    According to a poll, 58% of people thought the Kent State killings were justified. WTF?! I just don't even know what to say
    It isn't even very surprising, we have a major cult of authority worship over here.

It's disturbing on many levels
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,183
    rgambs said:

I just finished the documentary and it was pretty good.    I think they eluded to fact that the war (and what happened with Nixon) broke trust (or as you call it the cult of authority).   Before Vietnam no one believed a politician would lie to them (especially the president).  After Vietnam you expect them to lie.    I would imagine if something like that happened today, and not when people still had full trust in the government, it wouldn't be 58%.

I'm not American, but I was born after those events.   Even though you still get people who believe the law is the law, and there's no area of grey, I still find it hard to believe that there was a time where people trusted their government.