Options

Legit Binaural Vinyl

RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
hey, my local record store has a new sealed copy of Binaural for $80 Cdn. Does anyone know how to tell if it's a bootleg or legit from the sleeve?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,147
    Ask the store- is it black or colored? Colored is def a bootleg but if it's black it could be either fake or real.  Doubt they'd sell a real one for that price but the least you could do is ask them.  Take a photo of the bar code and look it up on discogs?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited June 2017
    The price confirms that it is a fake. For sure. There are other indicators, but that is the easiest one to look at, lol. ;)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Quickest way is to look at the front cover. The fakes say Pearl Jam at the top.
    The real lp's just have the album title on the bottom.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies! 
    I will have to check for this. Seemed to me to be the proper album cover but it's been a while since I've looked at that one hahaha
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    It's a bootleg.  Binaural hasn't been reissued yet.  If it was genuine it would be 17 years old and go for a few hundred dollars.

Unfortunately I've seen bootlegs of studio albums in my local store (ditch records).   I don't mind bootlegs when it's live stuff and obvious, but something bugs me when studio albums are bootlegged and being passed off as originals :(   I always find myself on my phone googling if something has been reissued or not.
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    This is what my copy looks like....original 2000 pressing. Hope it helps...
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going with "it's a bootleg" and it can stay where it is ;)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,000
    Rygar said:
    Thanks everyone, I'm going with "it's a bootleg" and it can stay where it is ;)
    They should be ashamed of themselves for selling a Bootlegged record for that much...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Zod said:
    It's a bootleg.  Binaural hasn't been reissued yet.  If it was genuine it would be 17 years old and go for a few hundred dollars.

Unfortunately I've seen bootlegs of studio albums in my local store (ditch records).   I don't mind bootlegs when it's live stuff and obvious, but something bugs me when studio albums are bootlegged and being passed off as originals :(   I always find myself on my phone googling if something has been reissued or not.
    Agreed. It's all well and good for those who are really on top of this issue, but I have seen SO many less obsessed people (haha) get tricked by these kinds of boots, and have way overspent, thinking they were getting a deal. It's a total scam, and I agree that any record store selling these, and especially those selling these without clearly marking them as fakes, should be ashamed of themselves ... it is technically illegal for those stores to even sell them. They should be more conscious of that!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Agreed. It's all well and good for those who are really on top of this issue, but I have seen SO many less obsessed people (haha) get tricked by these kinds of boots, and have way overspent, thinking they were getting a deal. It's a total scam, and I agree that any record store selling these, and especially those selling these without clearly marking them as fakes, should be ashamed of themselves ... it is technically illegal for those stores to even sell them. They should be more conscious of that!
    Yah, I started to get suspicious of my local store when I saw a new copy of Mirrorball a few years back.   Then I really knew it was bootlegs when I saw a copy of Tool's Aenima vinyl.   That one goes for a mint, so there's no way you'll randomly run into a mint/sealed copy for $50 in a record store.

It's experience too (but I guess you're right, maybe a little OCD).  If you're brand new to it, you'd have no clue.   After year's of collecting you'll absolutely know the holes in your collection and why they are there :)  Tool's Aenima, 10000 days, Springsteen's The Rising, etc... there's a reason they aren't in my collection :(
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

Yah, I started to get suspicious of my local store when I saw a new copy of Mirrorball a few years back.   Then I really knew it was bootlegs when I saw a copy of Tool's Aenima vinyl.   That one goes for a mint, so there's no way you'll randomly run into a mint/sealed copy for $50 in a record store.

It's experience too (but I guess you're right, maybe a little OCD).  If you're brand new to it, you'd have no clue.   After year's of collecting you'll absolutely know the holes in your collection and why they are there :)  Tool's Aenima, 10000 days, Springsteen's The Rising, etc... there's a reason they aren't in my collection :(
    For sure. I remember when I first got back into vinyl and knew nothing about the market and it had never occurred to me that there would be a bunch of different unofficial versions of something out there, often with shady sourcing. Thank goodness for message boards! I learned a TON just from the 10C boards. :) It's amazing how much there is to learn when it comes to collecting vinyl! Of course, that is at least half the fun with this hobby... it is also at least half the risk in terms of spending vinyl money badly.
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

I actually bought Mirrorball from Ditch a few years ago! I was so excited, only to realize when I got home that it was a boot. Thankfully it still sounds good, but still, it's annoying, especially when they charge so much for them. 
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,000
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:

FYI 10,000 Days was never on vinyl.  Aenima was though.

Salival is another TOOL record that's packaged nice that's a fake.

Lots of PJ10 colored records out there too, all fake...
  • Options

That's why when you see a 10000 days vinyl, something is definitely wrong :)
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,231
    Zod said:

That's why when you see a 10000 days vinyl, something is definitely wrong :)
    I got a red copy from Ditch for $48, i knew it was a boot but cheap compated to Ebay and it doesn't sound half bad.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    brianwilsonbrianwilson Posts: 406
    I paid 200 for mine (unfortunately).  The others, including LO2L, cost 100 or less.  On the other hand, I sold my Avocado for 250-300 (surprised someone paid that much).   

I really want Riot Act - like Binaural, it's pretty expensive
  • Options
    I paid 200 for mine (unfortunately).  The others, including LO2L, cost 100 or less.  On the other hand, I sold my Avocado for 250-300 (surprised someone paid that much).   

I really want Riot Act - like Binaural, it's pretty expensive
    I would assume those get reissued in the not too distance future.  Given they released no code/yield next year, I don't see why they don't continue doing that.    Only problem is that's Pearl Jam and they'll do it on Pearl Jam time :)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Just fucking re-release the damn thing already 10club! 
    www.cluthelee.com