Poll--The Weakest Link: The Champions - Round 1

Comments

• Pendulum
    To my mind, I've got to agree that if there is a quintessential PJ song, it's Corduroy. RVM is my favourite and I'd love to see it win, but even so I see Corduroy as more emblematic somehow. 

I've always thought something similar regarding the Cordoroy point and I can't quite explain it, it's just so symbolic, I'm glad to have heard someone else say that though! Not voting off Light Years part though! ;):o
  • Light Years
    To my mind, I've got to agree that if there is a quintessential PJ song, it's Corduroy. RVM is my favourite and I'd love to see it win, but even so I see Corduroy as more emblematic somehow. 
    I agree and also it fits their live jive as well. Whenever they play it early the place goes to another level. 
    I know we were both at this clip's show...I love Mr Met rocking the fuck out.  (Played 3rd that night)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKUE70Hd2SQ

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Pendulum
    I agree and also it fits their live jive as well. Whenever they play it early the place goes to another level. 
    I know we were both at this clip's show...I love Mr Met rocking the fuck out.  (Played 3rd that night)

True there is a very altogetherness when that cracks.

• rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Inside Job
    To my mind, I've got to agree my that if there is a quintessential PJ song, it's Corduroy. RVM is my favourite and I'd love to see it win, but even so I see Corduroy as more emblematic somehow. 
    Now they just gotta stop performing it the way they did in 2015 and 2016. No "hey ho's" allowed!
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Inside Job
    I've always viewed Given to Fly as the quintessential Pearl Jam song. After No Code bombed commercially, Given to Fly came out and bridged the grunge and angst band of the past into the same category as elder statesmen of rock and pretty much everything. Given to Fly has nods to the past, but also charts new territory. 
  • Pearl34JamPearl34Jam Posts: 1,102
    Unthought Known
    I'd really hate to vote off Unthought Known, but it had to be done 
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Unthought Known
    Way too many votes for Pendulum but at this stage every choice is tough.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Inside Job
    Looking like I'll get to vote for the same song again in round 2 (but not round 3!).
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    Are you going to be including Lost Dogs? This should make a great setlist. I don't know how you all are voting. I couldn't decide which songs to vote out.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Unthought Known
    Prediction based on the voting at the moment: Corduroy vs. Given To Fly in the final round.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • pearljam1809pearljam1809 Posts: 863
    I Am Mine
    What do this first results tell about us voters?
    There´s a clear preference towards  the first albums, so where are the younger fans? Or do they also like the old stuff?
    Inside Job
    There´s a clear preference towards  the first albums, so where are the younger fans? Or do they also like the old stuff?
    Good music is good music, no matter what one's age is.

Plus it's not like the newer stuff got of tonne of radio play.
  • Light Years
    The first five albums are pretty amazing.
    I know that not all of us love the last two albums
    ..but I do.  I love Backspacer and I love Lighting Bolt.  
    But the first five are just so.  Damn.  Strong.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,430
    Unthought Known
    People are forgetting Release in their predictions. It knocked out all of the heavy hitters from Ten.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,845
    Light Years

Yes, we were both there. And that was just about my vantage point - before the person filming zoomed in, I mean ;)

I was rocking out just as much as Mr. Met, from my spot up in the rafters. Maybe more!

(And who are those people right up front who aren't losing it??)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Inside Job
    I'm very curious about which of the five 1990s songs will, unfortunately, go out in round 3.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Unthought Known
    Release vs. Present Tense would be a killer matchup as well.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Pendulum
    Just not in the same league with some of the other songs on this list. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    Inside Job
    We all know Release is gonna win :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Unthought Known
    Younger fan here, I love it all.  The last few albums are way underrated around here, and I personally think that if half the later songs were magically swapped onto the older albums, people would be worshipping at their altars.  
    That being said, the quality of their early music (minus the non-songs that are too populous) is phenomenal, particularly in emotional terms.
    I think a song like Pendulum stands well next to Release, which shouldn't have won the Ten poll lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • KatKat Posts: 4,842
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,627
    I Am Mine
    agreed
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    Inside Job
    Kat said:
    Kat,
    Unthought known?!  really?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,627
    I Am Mine
    rgambs said:
    Younger fan here, I love it all.  The last few albums are way underrated around here, and I personally think that if half the later songs were magically swapped onto the older albums, people would be worshipping at their altars.  
    That being said, the quality of their early music (minus the non-songs that are too populous) is phenomenal, particularly in emotional terms.
    I think a song like Pendulum stands well next to Release, which shouldn't have won the Ten poll lol
    My 17 year old loves Backspacer.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    Inside Job
    Too bad that it looks like Pendulum is going out this round. Not that it would win this poll, but it's better than a few others on this list. Since the Ten voting was so off the wall, I think it should really end up being Corduroy vs. Given to Fly. Alive or Black would have made this much more difficult.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    edited June 2017
    Pendulum
    rgambs said:
    I'm ok with Release but 100% agree with everything else, especially the first paragraph (even though I'm voting Pendulum).
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    Inside Job
    No Lost Dogs? Damn. 
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023, Wrigley 8.29.24, Wrigley 8.31.24
  • Pendulum

I'm 24 if I'm young or not good music is just good music right, there's no denying one of the first albums will win this. The first albums I ever heard were the older stuff (pre 2000s) and I utterly loved it compared to anything after Riot Act, not that the newer material is bad it's the first 5-6 albums are so incredibly strong.
  • KC138045KC138045 Posts: 2,716
    I Am Mine
    rummy said:
    To my mind, I've got to agree my that if there is a quintessential PJ song, it's Corduroy. RVM is my favourite and I'd love to see it win, but even so I see Corduroy as more emblematic somehow. 
    Now they just gotta stop performing it the way they did in 2015 and 2016. No "hey ho's" allowed!
    I love the ho's ;)
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Unthought Known
    Round 1 has ended. With Unthought Known from Backspacer and Pendulum from Lightning Bolt being eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.