Options

How old is too young?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I'm pretty sure the most recent message has been, "my wife will be sick for days from your pot smoke" and "I have a serious allergy, so stop." Forgive me for interpreting that to mean, "My kid is more special than your buzz." You're right. I confused my original concern for smoking in front of your child with your adult issues.

Look, I generally don't waste time on the Internet debating shit. So thank you for sharing all your thoughts. Enjoy your next show.
    you are clearly confused. 

-smoke pot at a show if you wish (I used to)
    -someone who rats someone out for doing so is well within their right to do so, and is not an "asshole", because they might have health issues related to that
    -my kid is not more special than your buzz. my kid does not affect you,  your pot smoke may affect others. 

at weezer, as I've said, someone lit up a few rows over at the beginning of the show, as they opened with Hash Pipe. I laughed to myself and hoped she wouldn't ask me about it. and she didn't. so it was all good. 

when i used to smoke at shows, if I was next to a kid or an older couple, I just wouldn't smoke. common courtesy. I would survey my surroundings and make that call based on my observations. 

I give a shit about others. 
    Dude, I really don't appreciate the implication that I don't care about others. In fact, I said that I'm really not cool as an adult smoking weed in front of a kid, being very aware of the impression that would make. I then said I would get really, really annoyed if someone asked me to stop. I didn't say I wouldn't stop. I said I would be annoyed if asked. I would probably take one long toke, hold my breath for as long as I could and then blow it in the other direction, all while trying to hide the scene from your infant, toddler, or whatever because I'm not all about corrupting minors.

No need to get all judgmental. Isn't that what you complained about earlier?  Just leave me out of your issues. That's all I want in this world, for everybody to leave each other alone. Including the ones who -- Yes -- really don't enjoy having children around when they're trying to chill out. Kids stress me the fuck out. Even when they're just sitting there bopping out, I start worrying about them and take on the caretaker role, and I just don't want that for myself at a fucking concert. It's what I do for a living, and when I'm around them I can't turn it off, which is why I don't want to be near them at concerts on MY time. Sorry you don't understand that or assume my motives are selfish. I don't have to fucking explain or justify myself to anyone in the arena -- unless the cops bust me and I'll deal with that responsibility myself, thank you very much.

So really, you can reply with whatever, but I'm done. Going for a workout to build up my lungs.
    you implied I think everyone loves my kid. 

"just leave me out of your issues". Not sure what you keep referring to here. That I like spending time with my daughters? Yeah, REAL issues. 

so you want everyone to leave everyone else alone, live and let live, oh, except if it bothers you because a tiny human is sitting joyfully next to you. got it. 

it's not YOUR time if you are in public. just so you are aware. 

"kids stress me the fuck out". 
    "it's what I do for a living". 

YIKES. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Am I the only person who thinks weed smells really good? I don't smoke it in public, but I actually really like to get a wiff of it wherever I happne to be. To me, it's as good as smelling freshly baked cookies or something, lol.
    no,  you are not the only one. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:
    pjhawks said:
    brianlux said:
    When I was a little kid my parents like to do adult things with their adult friends and us kids stayed home with the baby sitter.  I had no problem with that and I had no interest in doing adult things with my adult parents.  So why is the current parenting generation so hung up about wanting their children to participate in adult activities?  Are they themselves having a hard time being adults?  Is it because they want to show off their kids to everyone around them?  Do they want to turn their children into miniature adults? Honestly, I don't get it. (And yes, though not a biological father, I have had parenting experience.)

yes unfortunately some (not all) parents today treat their kids as accessories. they want to do things so they get a lot of likes on facebook and instragram. it's as much or more about the parents than the kids.  also parents today rather be the "cool' parent instead of the discipline parent.  again not all parents are this way but if you take a 5 year old to a concert...
    Couldn't agree more and working with the public, I see that a lot.  The irony though is that kids are better off and happier in the long-run when given boundaries and reasonable discipline and by bringing them up that way, when they get older, they're actually more likely to be cool with their parents anyway.
    Wow, as someone who works with dysfucntional families and on child development as a profession, I gotta say to both of you Brianlux and pjhawks: you are jumping to a wild number of conclusions about the links between parents saying they want to bring young kids to a concert, their parental motivations, and the lifetime outcomes for those kids.  To assume that parents who want to share a show with their kids (including some kids who begged their parent per above) are therefore being raised with no boundaries or reasonable discipline?  Brianlux I admire your concert resume forever but seriously?  You know more about this and are more qualified to judge that than pediatricians who've been asked about this or other folks who've successfully raised multiple kids into thriving adults?  That is really presumptuous of you and - more importantly - factually and scientifically ridiculous. 

I deal every working day with: parents who either want to be out partying themselves and don't really want to parent at all; parents who want to be friends with their kids more than parents; and the group who feel bad about holding boundaries and disciplining their kids, think they're being "Too harsh".  And I see and have to help others see the often damaging impacts of those situations.  And then help parents understand how setting and holding more boundaries now will make their parenting lives better now and in the future, and be way better for their kids, and help them with how to do it (there are even multiple reasons that different parents struggle with holding boundaries, so helping them learn how to set them has to be differentiated too).  

There are miles of space and other factors between a parental decision on whether you take your kids to certain events or not, how you're raising your kids overall, and what your kids life outcomes will be.  You're entitled to your opinion, but wow... folks with no kids telling other people if you take young kids to a show your kids don't have boundaries or reasonable discipline?  Now I've heard everything on this board!
    i'm not in politics but i can form a reasonable opinion on what a crappy politician is
    i'm not a musician but i can form a reasonable opinion on what bad music is
    i'm not a designer but i can form a reasonable opinion on what shitty fashion is (ok maybe this one isn't always true)
    i'm not a brewer but i can form a reasonable opinion on what lousy beer is
    but since i'm not a parent i can't form an opinion on parenting....got it (insert eye roll emoji here)
    For this analogy to be correct and make sense, you would be forming an opinion on whether a kid is lousy or not, not the parenting.  
    You might judge a brew, but not the brewing process because you don't know the intricacies, and so on.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    I don't get half the comments in this thread.
    first, the repeated notion of "why would you let what others think dictate what you do?" Well that's called common courtesy. I'm assuming anyone who says that is the guy holding the annoying banner blocking the view of 20 people behind him for half the show. Taking into consideration how others feel is the basics behind common courtesy, so I don't know why that is treated like a bad thing.

that being said, who has ever been bothered by a kid at a show? Never even occurred to me that anyone could be bothered by a kid until I read some comments. My first though when I see a kid at a show or game is "dang it, now I'm going to look like a dick if I reach over their head to grab a foul ball or t-shirt," but that's about the extent of it.
    what age is too young is up to the parents. Personally for me probably not under 12 for PJ. I know very few kids 7 or 8 who are into their own music that isn't going to make me wish hateful things on the band. And so I just don't see the point of spending that money. 
    Each parent should decide their own filter. I don't get the criticism about that. I personally probably wouldn't want to expose my kids to everything that entails a Pj show until 10 or 12. And just because what said on the playground is worse than anything on TV doesn't mean I'm going to put on Game of Thrones for them. I'll still censor when I can until they are older.
    my kid is not blocking your view. my kid is sitting there with her headphones on, bopping her head to the music. if that ruins your time, then yes, that is your problem, not anyone else's. 

i have yet to hear one single solitary reason why my kid being at a show effects your time. not one. 
    One reason: Total buzz kill. As a parent, you may be cool with your child watching me smoke pot. I'm not cool smoking pot in front of children. It would definitely affect my high, and please don't tell me not to light up because that would really, really annoy me even more.
    Hypocrisy
  • Options
    You took an infant to a rock show? 
    I took my son to the GreenVs show on his first birthday.
    We all had a great time and everyone around us did too. 

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    WHO BROUGHT THE TURD?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    All that info about hearing protection is fine and dandy, but again, if you're seeing little kids who don't have the things covering their ears some of the time because of a poor fit or because they are moving them around off their ears, the protection obviously isn't adequate. Pretty simple.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I'm pretty sure the most recent message has been, "my wife will be sick for days from your pot smoke" and "I have a serious allergy, so stop." Forgive me for interpreting that to mean, "My kid is more special than your buzz." You're right. I confused my original concern for smoking in front of your child with your adult issues.

Look, I generally don't waste time on the Internet debating shit. So thank you for sharing all your thoughts. Enjoy your next show.

-someone who rats someone out for doing so is well within their right to do so, and is not an "asshole", because they might have health issues related to that
    -my kid is not more special than your buzz. my kid does not affect you,  your pot smoke may affect others. 

at weezer, as I've said, someone lit up a few rows over at the beginning of the show, as they opened with Hash Pipe. I laughed to myself and hoped she wouldn't ask me about it. and she didn't. so it was all good. 

when i used to smoke at shows, if I was next to a kid or an older couple, I just wouldn't smoke. common courtesy. I would survey my surroundings and make that call based on my observations. 

Dude, I really don't appreciate the implication that I don't care about others. In fact, I said that I'm really not cool as an adult smoking weed in front of a kid, being very aware of the impression that would make. I then said I would get really, really annoyed if someone asked me to stop. I didn't say I wouldn't stop. I said I would be annoyed if asked. I would probably take one long toke, hold my breath for as long as I could and then blow it in the other direction, all while trying to hide the scene from your infant, toddler, or whatever because I'm not all about corrupting minors.

No need to get all judgmental. Isn't that what you complained about earlier?  Just leave me out of your issues. That's all I want in this world, for everybody to leave each other alone. Including the ones who -- Yes -- really don't enjoy having children around when they're trying to chill out. Kids stress me the fuck out. Even when they're just sitting there bopping out, I start worrying about them and take on the caretaker role, and I just don't want that for myself at a fucking concert. It's what I do for a living, and when I'm around them I can't turn it off, which is why I don't want to be near them at concerts on MY time. Sorry you don't understand that or assume my motives are selfish. I don't have to fucking explain or justify myself to anyone in the arena -- unless the cops bust me and I'll deal with that responsibility myself, thank you very much.

So really, you can reply with whatever, but I'm done. Going for a workout to build up my lungs.

"just leave me out of your issues". Not sure what you keep referring to here. That I like spending time with my daughters? Yeah, REAL issues. 

so you want everyone to leave everyone else alone, live and let live, oh, except if it bothers you because a tiny human is sitting joyfully next to you. got it. 

YIKES. 
    You're right. I'm awful. How did I not see that before? How despicable of me to want to enjoy a night out doing adult things with other adults during my time off. I don't deserve that at all, nobody does, and only my utter depravity could have led me to have such unrealistic expectations for my life. Clearly you are a much better human being than I am. You are the shining example of what a true and righteous person ought to be. Thank you.   
  • Options

YIKES. 
    You're right. I'm awful. How did I not see that before? How despicable of me to want to enjoy a night out doing adult things with other adults during my time off. I don't deserve that at all, nobody does, and only my utter depravity could have led me to have such unrealistic expectations for my life. Clearly you are a much better human being than I am. You are the shining example of what a true and righteous person ought to be. Thank you.   
    did your lungs get a good build up? a whole lotta hot air just came out, so I guess so. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:
    This discussion goes round and gets heated sometimes.
    I say, there's no such thing as too young!  
    You have to be willing to change your plans from top to bottom and be attentive to the child's needs, but if you are willing to do that, why not take them?
    sometimes? LOL. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don't get half the comments in this thread.
    first, the repeated notion of "why would you let what others think dictate what you do?" Well that's called common courtesy. I'm assuming anyone who says that is the guy holding the annoying banner blocking the view of 20 people behind him for half the show. Taking into consideration how others feel is the basics behind common courtesy, so I don't know why that is treated like a bad thing.

that being said, who has ever been bothered by a kid at a show? Never even occurred to me that anyone could be bothered by a kid until I read some comments. My first though when I see a kid at a show or game is "dang it, now I'm going to look like a dick if I reach over their head to grab a foul ball or t-shirt," but that's about the extent of it.
    what age is too young is up to the parents. Personally for me probably not under 12 for PJ. I know very few kids 7 or 8 who are into their own music that isn't going to make me wish hateful things on the band. And so I just don't see the point of spending that money. 
    Each parent should decide their own filter. I don't get the criticism about that. I personally probably wouldn't want to expose my kids to everything that entails a Pj show until 10 or 12. And just because what said on the playground is worse than anything on TV doesn't mean I'm going to put on Game of Thrones for them. I'll still censor when I can until they are older.
    my kid is not blocking your view. my kid is sitting there with her headphones on, bopping her head to the music. if that ruins your time, then yes, that is your problem, not anyone else's. 

i have yet to hear one single solitary reason why my kid being at a show effects your time. not one. 
    One reason: Total buzz kill. As a parent, you may be cool with your child watching me smoke pot. I'm not cool smoking pot in front of children. It would definitely affect my high, and please don't tell me not to light up because that would really, really annoy me even more.
    Hypocrisy
    Right again. I'm a hypocrite. I need to live a more authentic life. I'm going to light up a joint at my nephew's next birthday party and let it blow, let it blow, let it blow. When the kids ask what it is, I'll tell them it's a magic herb that does wonders for the brain and ask them if they would like to try it.
    I only wish I had realized what a loser I am before today. Keep it coming, people. I'm learning so much self-improvement from this master class. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    :rofl:
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510

YIKES. 
    did your lungs get a good build up? a whole lotta hot air just came out, so I guess so. 
    Well played Mr. Dillon. 
  • Options

YIKES. 
    I just really don't understand what your problem is. Seriously don't understand. My only position about your child or anybody else's child at a concert is that I don't want to sit next to them, and I've been under attack since. I've been misunderstood multiple times when I tried to explain what I feel are very respectful reasons why (I'd be a bad influence :-), and then I regroup and try to explain again, and that explanation gets a snarky response. Then I try to bow out gracefully and there's still a comeback about my character and an attack on my profession, and now this bitchy comment about my being full of hot air.  

The real thing I've come to learn about this forum over the years is that's it's full of self-righteous assholes who spend their endless hours and posts trying to better everybody else with their comeback. I don't want to sit next to most of you, never mind your children. 

Seriously -- have a great time at whatever show you take your children. You and she both have a right to be there if that's what you choose. I'm sure it will be a special time that you will both cherish forever. 
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

YIKES. 
    I just really don't understand what your problem is. Seriously don't understand. My only position about your child or anybody else's child at a concert is that I don't want to sit next to them, and I've been under attack since. I've been misunderstood multiple times when I tried to explain what I feel are very respectful reasons why (I'd be a bad influence :-), and then I regroup and try to explain again, and that explanation gets a snarky response. Then I try to bow out gracefully and there's still a comeback about my character and an attack on my profession, and now this bitchy comment about my being full of hot air.  

The real thing I've come to learn about this forum over the years is that's it's full of self-righteous assholes who spend their endless hours and posts trying to better everybody else with their comeback. I don't want to sit next to most of you, never mind your children. 

Seriously -- have a great time at whatever show you take your children. You and she both have a right to be there if that's what you choose. I'm sure it will be a special time that you will both cherish forever. 
    You are right about one thing. There are some self-righteous assholes on here. I remember when one of them talked down to me for making fun of Ted Cruz when he ate his own booger on live TV...

The man ate his own booger. Slurped that shit up like a frog snagging a fly. Hilarious.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    If it makes you feel any better, what dreams, I don't want to sit next to anybody's young child or baby at a concert either  ... or really anywhere else, for that matter. I usually humbly put up with it - kids are necessary. But I like to have at least a couple places where I can get away from them.... unfortunately, concerts are where I'd most like to avoid them, but they aren't necessarily one of those few places (even when they should be, apparently) ... but one can still hope and advocate for concerts to be free of young kids, lol. Nothing wrong with that. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I think Pearl Jam should have a take your baby to concert night.  That would settle everything and the crowd would know what to expect.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think Pearl Jam should have a take your baby to concert night.  That would settle everything and the crowd would know what to expect.
    Maybe their next album can be a children's album, and we'll all be a lot more clear on this issue.
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    But then they'd have to quadruple their tambourine budget, which would raise ticket prices.  I'm not ready for that.

:D
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446
    One thing that is being overlooked is that the band itself has clearly embraced the idea of kids at their shows and seems to actually encourage it with their behavior during shows i.e. handing out tambourines to them, bringing them on stage, verbally acknowledging them, etc.  

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter that people don't want kids there because the band seems to have fully embraced it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    JH6056 said:
    But then they'd have to quadruple their tambourine budget, which would raise ticket prices.  I'm not ready for that.

:D

True.  But for one night only it would be acceptable.  Pretty sure the pot smokers who spark up during concerts would be absent that night.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    on2legs said:
    One thing that is being overlooked is that the band itself has clearly embraced the idea of kids at their shows and seems to actually encourage it with their behavior during shows i.e. handing out tambourines to them, bringing them on stage, verbally acknowledging them, etc.  

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter that people don't want kids there because the band seems to have fully embraced it. 
    Excellent points. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:

Excellent points. 
    Yes. If the band didn't want kids at the show there would be an age limit.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    edited July 2017
    Speaking of rock shows in general:

I said I was done here BUT (haha) I do have one other thought and that is for all age venues, what about a family only section?  I know, some of you will scream at me for even suggesting this but really, why not?  In fact, I would go with three sections:  mosh pit, family pit, adult non-mosh pit.  That way the adults in the crowd who don't want to be with the kiddies and just want to be with other adults doing their adult things like getting high, slam dancing, screaming obscenities, puking, bleeding and causing general mayhem, can do so.  Too much trouble?  Then leave the little ones with the babysitter.

I love the kids in my life and I do lots of great and cool things with them but I just don't get why some of you want to take your kid to a rock show.  Why can't there be activities simply geared for adults anymore?  I don't get that.  Jeez, let the adults do their thing and let the kids be kids for a while already. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I love the kids in my life and I do lots of great and cool things with them but I just don't get why some of you want to take your kid to a rock show.  Why can't there be activities simply geared for adults anymore?  I don't get that.  Jeez, let the adults do their thing and let the kids be kids for a while already. 
    Are you saying this to the board members, Pearl Jam or the fans?
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Are you saying this to the board members, Pearl Jam or the fans?
    Obviously not Pearl Jam (the band).  The have better things to do.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247

YIKES. 

You are right about one thing. There are some self-righteous assholes on here. I remember when one of them talked down to me for making fun of Ted Cruz when he ate his own booger on live TV...

The man ate his own booger. Slurped that shit up like a frog snagging a fly. Hilarious.
    Yeah, you just have to refrain from responding sometimes because it's just not worth it to argue with some random person on a Pearl Jam forum. The self righteousness here is only a fraction of the glorified assholeness that you get on the train. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:

YIKES. 

Yeah, you just have to refrain from responding sometimes because it's just not worth it to argue with some random person on a Pearl Jam forum. The self righteousness here is only a fraction of the glorified assholeness that you get on the train. 
    Whoa, tbergs, harsh!  Come on man, you've never had strong words on the train?  Jesus man, lighten up.  Everybody has opinions or even  sometimes get emotional or vociferous about those opinions, but it's cool.  I think most people on these boards seem like pretty good people, even the ones I strongly disagree with. And the super obnoxious big-time assholes eventually go away or get banned anyway.  Give your fellow PJ fan a bit more credit, maybe?

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,510
    "I don't want to sit next to most of you, never mind your children."

This is in the running for my favorite quote of all time. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:

YIKES. 

Whoa, tbergs, harsh!  Come on man, you've never had strong words on the train?  Jesus man, lighten up.  Everybody has opinions or even  sometimes get emotional or vociferous about those opinions, but it's cool.  I think most people on these boards seem like pretty good people, even the ones I strongly disagree with. And the super obnoxious big-time assholes eventually go away or get banned anyway.  Give your fellow PJ fan a bit more credit, maybe?
    I shouldn't have contributed to the negativity. I was taking a poke at what dreams for something she said to me awhile back. My point is, if you're going to blanket label a bunch of people as self-righteous assholes you should be a little more aware of how you've interacted with others in the past. I understand it was a heated response to someone else and I probably shouldn't have piled on. My bad.
This discussion has been closed.