• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited October 2019
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Kat said:
    Kat said:
    Distracting from yesterday's nail in the coffin testimony...
    Now, about that testimony.  :)

BINGO! It's certainly grabbed the headlines for now. Hopefully this will change quickly. 
    Also, they're in disarray because they're beginning to see the handwriting on the wall. They can't defend the souleater because he's so obviously guilty as we hear the testimony of his misdeeds.
    Someone just suggested how it's possible that McConnell turns on souleater to try to save the senate for GOP and himself.  All kinds of people will be trying to save themselves. This is historical and it just has to end up on the right side...we're a nation of laws.

It is just maddening to see/hear all the folks still sticking by his side. Be it 38%, 35% or 31% it is so crazy to think there are that many people that are "ride or die" with the angry orange man. It truly is mind boggling. People we all know, love and respect. It's just weird. 
    It's not "ride or die".  I personally was caught up w the Collusion investigation and felt "pants" when nothing came of it.  Dems better have a smoking gun or their credibility goes further down the shitter.
    I don't think you pay attention to the news. There are many smoking guns. His base just doesn't give a fuck. It's not the democrats credibility taking a hit here.
    Again, if you follow the news from the collusion investigation there were supposedly a bunch of smoking guns too.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Are you looking for a confession? Because they have already confessed. What more do you want?

And I don't remember the news from the last scandal claiming "smoking guns". There sure was a lot of evidence.

Isn't the confession from Mulvaney though and not Trump or did I miss something else?
    He asked for China's help to investigate Joe Biden in front of everybody.

He said exactly what he wanted Zelinsky to do in relation to the Bidens.  out loud, on the WH lawn, WEEKS ago.

China doesn't even matter.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Igor and Lev are involved too.  They claimed the EP yesterday in court.

There's a reason Don Trump arranged that little stormy the gates shitshow yesterday.

He trying to hyp-mo-tize you.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    ikiT said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Kat said:
    Kat said:
    Distracting from yesterday's nail in the coffin testimony...
    Now, about that testimony.  :)

BINGO! It's certainly grabbed the headlines for now. Hopefully this will change quickly. 
    Also, they're in disarray because they're beginning to see the handwriting on the wall. They can't defend the souleater because he's so obviously guilty as we hear the testimony of his misdeeds.
    Someone just suggested how it's possible that McConnell turns on souleater to try to save the senate for GOP and himself.  All kinds of people will be trying to save themselves. This is historical and it just has to end up on the right side...we're a nation of laws.

It is just maddening to see/hear all the folks still sticking by his side. Be it 38%, 35% or 31% it is so crazy to think there are that many people that are "ride or die" with the angry orange man. It truly is mind boggling. People we all know, love and respect. It's just weird. 
    It's not "ride or die".  I personally was caught up w the Collusion investigation and felt "pants" when nothing came of it.  Dems better have a smoking gun or their credibility goes further down the shitter.
    I don't think you pay attention to the news. There are many smoking guns. His base just doesn't give a fuck. It's not the democrats credibility taking a hit here.
    Again, if you follow the news from the collusion investigation there were supposedly a bunch of smoking guns too.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Are you looking for a confession? Because they have already confessed. What more do you want?

And I don't remember the news from the last scandal claiming "smoking guns". There sure was a lot of evidence.

Isn't the confession from Mulvaney though and not Trump or did I miss something else?
    He asked for China's help to investigate Joe Biden in front of everybody.

He said exactly what he wanted Zelinsky to do in relation to the Bidens.  out loud, on the WH lawn, WEEKS ago.

China doesn't even matter.
    It all matters.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Oh wow, you mean there are actually Republicans in the hearings? :P  (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

"Forty-seven Republican lawmakers from three House committees — Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight — have been allowed to attend and participate in all of the depositions of the eight diplomats and government officials brought in to testify so far. The 57 Democrats from those three committees also may attend, but no other lawmakers from either party may enter."

House Intelligence Committee members, GOP

Devin Nunes, California, Ranking Member
    Mike Conaway, Texas
    Mike Turner, Ohio
    Brad Wenstrup, Ohio
    Chris Stewart, Utah
    Rick Crawford, Arkansas
    Elise Stefanik, New York
    Will Hurd, Texas
    John Ratcliffe, Texas

House Oversight Committee members, GOP

Jim Jordan, Ohio, Ranking Member
    Paul Gosar, Arizona
    Virginia Foxx, North Carolina
    Thomas Massie, Kentucky
    Mark Meadows, North Carolina
    Jody Hice, Georgia
    Glenn Grothman, Wisconsin
    James Comer, Kentucky
    Michael Cloud, Texas
    Bob Gibbs, Ohio
    Clay Higgins, Louisiana
    Ralph Norman, South Carolina
    Chip Roy, Texas
    Carol Miller, West Virginia
    Mark E. Green, Tennessee
    Kelly Armstrong, North Dakota
    Greg Steube, Florida
    Fred Keller, Pennsylvania

House Foreign Affairs Committee, GOP

Michael McCaul, Texas, Ranking Member
    Chris Smith, New Jersey
    Steve Chabot, Ohio
    Joe Wilson, South Carolina
    Scott Perry, Pennsylvania
    Ted Yoho, Florida
    Adam Kinzinger, Illinois
    Lee Zeldin, New York
    Jim Sensenbrenner, Wisconsin
    Ann Wagner, Missouri, Vice Ranking Member
    Brian Mast, Florida
    Francis Rooney, Florida
    Brian Fitzpatrick, Pennsylvania
    John Curtis, Utah
    Ken Buck, Colorado
    Ron Wright, Texas
    Guy Reschenthaler, Pennsylvania
    Tim Burchett, Tennessee
    Greg Pence, Indiana
    Steve Watkins, Kansas
    Michael Guest, Mississippi

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Jim Jordan makes me want to puke. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/inevitability-impeachment/600559/?utm_medium=offsite&utm_source=yahoo&utm_campaign=yahoo-non-hosted&yptr=yahoo

Impeachment Just Became Inevitable

The testimony of William Taylor confirmed that what seemed improbable just a few weeks ago is now all but certain.

No, I googled "Trump smoking gun" and that didn't come up for some reason.

I need my Trump smoking gun.
    Yeah so I mentioned the Sondland thing but never found the China thing.  Are you still trying to prove you are right?  Not sure.

Next question.  Open to everyone.

The Sondland thing.  Taylor asked Sondland if the meeting was only going to happen if the Biden investigation was going to further.  There wasn't any mention that this came from Trump's mouth though.

I see this as going through a bunch of "he said, she said".  

Sorry I'm skeptical.
    Taylor: "...Ambassador Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelenskyy to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 U.S. election."

Taylor: "...President Trump did insist that President Zelenskyy go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden and 2016 election interference, and that President Zelenskyy should want to do this himself."

As an aside, if I get in trouble with the law, I would like you to serve on my jury.
    Neither of those are a quid pro quo though.  Asking him to state something publicly is not doing so in favor of receiving something.

Something for something is the definition.

I'd love to be on your jury if understanding a rule of law is just that and not seeing something for what it s not.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/inevitability-impeachment/600559/?utm_medium=offsite&utm_source=yahoo&utm_campaign=yahoo-non-hosted&yptr=yahoo

The testimony of William Taylor confirmed that what seemed improbable just a few weeks ago is now all but certain.

Yeah so I mentioned the Sondland thing but never found the China thing.  Are you still trying to prove you are right?  Not sure.

The Sondland thing.  Taylor asked Sondland if the meeting was only going to happen if the Biden investigation was going to further.  There wasn't any mention that this came from Trump's mouth though.

Sorry I'm skeptical.
    Taylor: "...Ambassador Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelenskyy to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 U.S. election."

Taylor: "...President Trump did insist that President Zelenskyy go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden and 2016 election interference, and that President Zelenskyy should want to do this himself."

As an aside, if I get in trouble with the law, I would like you to serve on my jury.
    Neither of those are a quid pro quo though.  Asking him to state something publicly is not doing so in favor of receiving something.

I'd love to be on your jury if understanding a rule of law is just that and not seeing something for what it s not.
    My apologies, I thought you were more informed than that. My bad.

Here is some context.

Allegation of a quid pro quo

Context: The ongoing hold on military aid to Ukraine had vexed Taylor for weeks as nobody in the administration offered a clear explanation for why it had not sent the money. Taylor testified that on September 1 he learned from National Security Council aide Tim Morrison that Sondland had spoken with a top Zelensky adviser, Andriy Yermak, in Warsaw, where Zelensky and Vice President Mike Pence were meeting. Morrison told Taylor that Sondland had informed Yermak that the funding would not come until Zelensky "committed to pursue the Burisma investigation."

Taylor described being "alarmed" at hearing for the first time the link between the military aid and the investigation of Biden. He texted Sondland that same day to express his concern about this outlining of a quid pro quo, prompting Sondland to ask Taylor to call him. Taylor said that phone call is when Sondland told him Trump had requested the quid pro quo.
    Those text messages were released as part of Volker's testimony to Congress earlier this month. In his testimony, Sondland claimed withholding aid in this way -- to influence an American election -- would be wrong. "I did not and would not ever participate in such undertakings," Sondland testified. But on Tuesday Taylor testified that Sondland had participated in exactly that.

Promise to investigate Biden

Context: This is further evidence from Taylor that Trump intended for the military aid to be withheld unless Zelensky complied with Trump's demand to act in a way that benefited Trump politically. The September 7 conversation between Sondland and Trump that Taylor is recounting here comes more than a week after the hold on the money was made public in an August 29 Politico report and after a meeting Taylor had with Zelensky in which the Ukrainian President was pressing for answers about the issue.
    Taylor went on to recount a conversation he had with Sondland on September 8 in which Sondland described Trump as being "adamant" that Zelensky "clear things up" about pursuing these investigations or risk a "stalemate." Taylor says he perceived the stalemate as meaning Ukraine would not receive the aid.

Foreign policy undercut

Taylor: "...the push to make President Zelenskyy publicly commit to investigations of Burisma and alleged interference in the 2016 election showed how the official foreign policy of the United States was undercut by the irregular efforts led by Mr. Giuliani."

Context: This statement from Taylor encapsulates his perception of the divide between the official foreign policy arm of the US government and the efforts by Giuliani, and how that divide was being perceived by Ukraine.
      For a quid pro quo threat to be effective, the Ukrainians would have had to discount what Taylor describes as a bipartisan effort by him and other US officials to reassure Zelensky that the US policy toward Ukraine remained unchanged. To Taylor, the counter-narrative from Giuliani undermined the authority of officials like himself by appearing to condition that policy on cooperation with Trump's own domestic political concerns.
      That goes to the heart of the concern that House Democrats have, and explains why Taylor on September 9 wrote his now infamous text to Sondland, "I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/politics/bill-taylor-statement-5-explosive-lines/index.html

• Options
      Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,970
      dignin said:
      dignin said:
      mcgruff10 said:

Sorry I'm skeptical.

Actually it is.  The public statement would have been damaging to Biden.  That's something. 
      Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
      2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
      2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
      2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
      2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
      2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
      2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    • Options
      PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
      edited October 2019
      Why does everyone keep acting like "quid pro quo" is some kind of legal requirement for any of this? I'm not talking just here... but in general. It's really weird to me. And every time I hear it I think of that scene from The Silence of the Lambs.
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    • Options
      PJ_Soul said:
      Why does everyone keep acting like "quid pro quo" is some kind of legal requirement for any of this? I'm not talking just here... but in general. It's really weird to me. And every time I hear it I think of that scene from The Silence of the Lambs.
      It's not. But it still happened, which makes it worse.
    • Options
      dignin said:
      dignin said:
      dignin said:
      mcgruff10 said:

Sorry I'm skeptical.

Here is some context.

Context: The ongoing hold on military aid to Ukraine had vexed Taylor for weeks as nobody in the administration offered a clear explanation for why it had not sent the money. Taylor testified that on September 1 he learned from National Security Council aide Tim Morrison that Sondland had spoken with a top Zelensky adviser, Andriy Yermak, in Warsaw, where Zelensky and Vice President Mike Pence were meeting. Morrison told Taylor that Sondland had informed Yermak that the funding would not come until Zelensky "committed to pursue the Burisma investigation."

Taylor described being "alarmed" at hearing for the first time the link between the military aid and the investigation of Biden. He texted Sondland that same day to express his concern about this outlining of a quid pro quo, prompting Sondland to ask Taylor to call him. Taylor said that phone call is when Sondland told him Trump had requested the quid pro quo.
      Those text messages were released as part of Volker's testimony to Congress earlier this month. In his testimony, Sondland claimed withholding aid in this way -- to influence an American election -- would be wrong. "I did not and would not ever participate in such undertakings," Sondland testified. But on Tuesday Taylor testified that Sondland had participated in exactly that.

Context: This is further evidence from Taylor that Trump intended for the military aid to be withheld unless Zelensky complied with Trump's demand to act in a way that benefited Trump politically. The September 7 conversation between Sondland and Trump that Taylor is recounting here comes more than a week after the hold on the money was made public in an August 29 Politico report and after a meeting Taylor had with Zelensky in which the Ukrainian President was pressing for answers about the issue.
      Taylor went on to recount a conversation he had with Sondland on September 8 in which Sondland described Trump as being "adamant" that Zelensky "clear things up" about pursuing these investigations or risk a "stalemate." Taylor says he perceived the stalemate as meaning Ukraine would not receive the aid.

Foreign policy undercut

Taylor: "...the push to make President Zelenskyy publicly commit to investigations of Burisma and alleged interference in the 2016 election showed how the official foreign policy of the United States was undercut by the irregular efforts led by Mr. Giuliani."

Context: This statement from Taylor encapsulates his perception of the divide between the official foreign policy arm of the US government and the efforts by Giuliani, and how that divide was being perceived by Ukraine.
        For a quid pro quo threat to be effective, the Ukrainians would have had to discount what Taylor describes as a bipartisan effort by him and other US officials to reassure Zelensky that the US policy toward Ukraine remained unchanged. To Taylor, the counter-narrative from Giuliani undermined the authority of officials like himself by appearing to condition that policy on cooperation with Trump's own domestic political concerns.
        That goes to the heart of the concern that House Democrats have, and explains why Taylor on September 9 wrote his now infamous text to Sondland, "I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/politics/bill-taylor-statement-5-explosive-lines/index.html

Last thing I'm going to say on this...

From the quote of Taylor they derived a "Context" from that quote?  The story seems to takes certain words and put the quotes around them then form an opinion from those words.

So I am reading the same things you are but just seeing them differently.

The Sept 9th text is the most damaging but the person that admits to holding back aid is Taylor and not Trump.

I don't support Trump but you have to question certain things...
      • Options
        Kat said:
        Oh wow, you mean there are actually Republicans in the hearings? :P  (Yes, I'm being sarcastic.)

"Forty-seven Republican lawmakers from three House committees — Intelligence, Foreign Affairs and Oversight — have been allowed to attend and participate in all of the depositions of the eight diplomats and government officials brought in to testify so far. The 57 Democrats from those three committees also may attend, but no other lawmakers from either party may enter."

House Intelligence Committee members, GOP

Devin Nunes, California, Ranking Member
        Mike Conaway, Texas
        Mike Turner, Ohio
        Brad Wenstrup, Ohio
        Chris Stewart, Utah
        Rick Crawford, Arkansas
        Elise Stefanik, New York
        Will Hurd, Texas
        John Ratcliffe, Texas

House Oversight Committee members, GOP

Jim Jordan, Ohio, Ranking Member
        Paul Gosar, Arizona
        Virginia Foxx, North Carolina
        Thomas Massie, Kentucky
        Mark Meadows, North Carolina
        Jody Hice, Georgia
        Glenn Grothman, Wisconsin
        James Comer, Kentucky
        Michael Cloud, Texas
        Bob Gibbs, Ohio
        Clay Higgins, Louisiana
        Ralph Norman, South Carolina
        Chip Roy, Texas
        Carol Miller, West Virginia
        Mark E. Green, Tennessee
        Kelly Armstrong, North Dakota
        Greg Steube, Florida
        Fred Keller, Pennsylvania

House Foreign Affairs Committee, GOP

Michael McCaul, Texas, Ranking Member
        Chris Smith, New Jersey
        Steve Chabot, Ohio
        Joe Wilson, South Carolina
        Scott Perry, Pennsylvania
        Ted Yoho, Florida
        Adam Kinzinger, Illinois
        Lee Zeldin, New York
        Jim Sensenbrenner, Wisconsin
        Ann Wagner, Missouri, Vice Ranking Member
        Brian Mast, Florida
        Francis Rooney, Florida
        Brian Fitzpatrick, Pennsylvania
        John Curtis, Utah
        Ken Buck, Colorado
        Ron Wright, Texas
        Guy Reschenthaler, Pennsylvania
        Tim Burchett, Tennessee
        Greg Pence, Indiana
        Steve Watkins, Kansas
        Michael Guest, Mississippi

No wonder the repubs are claiming no representation, bunch of empty suits.
        09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
      • Options
        dignin said:
        dignin said:
        dignin said:
        mcgruff10 said:

Sorry I'm skeptical.

Here is some context.

Foreign policy undercut

From the quote of Taylor they derived a "Context" from that quote?  The story seems to takes certain words and put the quotes around them then form an opinion from those words.

The Sept 9th text is the most damaging but the person that admits to holding back aid is Taylor and not Trump.

Then I suggest you read his full opening statement. It's all there, pretty clear slam dunk.

• Options
          He (like the tough guy he thinks he is) asked for something he didn't get, AND gave him the AID anyway.  He's hella inept.

The conspiracy is the crime.   #ITMFA
        • Options
          Those asshokes who crashed that meeting yeterday need to be held responsible.  Like today.

You cannot act like that.  There are repercussions for poor decision making.
        • Options
          benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
          dignin said:
          dignin said:
          dignin said:
          mcgruff10 said:

Sorry I'm skeptical.

Here is some context.

Foreign policy undercut

Maybe they didn't make it clear in that article, but the context isn't from the quotes, but is plain as day in the short and easy-to-read opening statement released. 
            '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
            Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
          • Options
            benjs said:

Maybe they didn't make it clear in that article, but the context isn't from the quotes, but is plain as day in the short and easy-to-read opening statement released. 
            https://time.com/5707713/bill-taylor-opening-statement-impeachment-inquiry/

I'm reading it now, TY for that clarification.
          • Options
            benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
            benjs said:

My pleasure, I'm looking forward to hearing your insights (and I'm not being facetious, though even that statement sounds facetious).
            '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
            Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
          • Options
            HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
            benjs said:

wow. I just read that whole thing. very compelling. 
            Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
            dignin said:
            dignin said:
            dignin said:
            dignin said:
            mcgruff10 said:

Sorry I'm skeptical.

Here is some context.

Foreign policy undercut

Then I suggest you read his full opening statement. It's all there, pretty clear slam dunk.

Was you there?
              09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
            • Options
              benjs said:
              benjs said:

My pleasure, I'm looking forward to hearing your insights (and I'm not being facetious, though even that statement sounds facetious).
              So, reading the opening statement as a whole would definitely seem condemning.  The one statement that stood out to me from Taylor was this one:

Very concerned, on that same day I sent Ambassador Sondland a text message
              asking if “we [are] now saying that security assistance and [a] WH meeting are
              conditioned on investigations?” Ambassador Sondland responded asking me to
              call him, which I did. During that phone call, Ambassador Sondland told me that
              President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelenskyy to state publicly
              that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the
              2016 U.S. election.

The only mention of a QPQ was actually from Taylor and not Trump nor Sondland.  “we [are] now saying that security assistance and [a] WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?”

The problem I am having may be in the wording of things.  It says Trump wants Zelensky to say publicly that he is investigating but NOT "to investigate".

Viewing the timeline one could conclude that aid was withheld from Ukraine because there was a lack of an investigation if you use Taylor's "opinion".  But that is all this recount is, an opinion from someone who is involved but doesn't have all the facts and is offering conclusions derived from them.

I'm still not sold on this, sorry.  This is not a slam dunk at all to me.

There is another part of the story that I may be lost on.  Was there an ongoing investigation?  If so asking to mention that publicly doesn't seem like abusing power if it was going on all along.

If there was no investigation then I have huge concern as to why Trump would want that mentioned.  This I would have an immense problem with.

So I may be missing part of the puzzle and timeline about if or when an investigation was taking place or one was wanting to start or pressure to reopen one?

I'm open to the discussion, thanks @benjs
            • Options
              benjs said:
              benjs said:

So, reading the opening statement as a whole would definitely seem condemning.  The one statement that stood out to me from Taylor was this one:

Very concerned, on that same day I sent Ambassador Sondland a text message
              asking if “we [are] now saying that security assistance and [a] WH meeting are
              conditioned on investigations?” Ambassador Sondland responded asking me to
              call him, which I did. During that phone call, Ambassador Sondland told me that
              President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelenskyy to state publicly
              that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the
              2016 U.S. election.

The only mention of a QPQ was actually from Taylor and not Trump nor Sondland.  “we [are] now saying that security assistance and [a] WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?”

The problem I am having may be in the wording of things.  It says Trump wants Zelensky to say publicly that he is investigating but NOT "to investigate".

Viewing the timeline one could conclude that aid was withheld from Ukraine because there was a lack of an investigation if you use Taylor's "opinion".  But that is all this recount is, an opinion from someone who is involved but doesn't have all the facts and is offering conclusions derived from them.

I'm still not sold on this, sorry.  This is not a slam dunk at all to me.

There is another part of the story that I may be lost on.  Was there an ongoing investigation?  If so asking to mention that publicly doesn't seem like abusing power if it was going on all along.

If there was no investigation then I have huge concern as to why Trump would want that mentioned.  This I would have an immense problem with.

So I may be missing part of the puzzle and timeline about if or when an investigation was taking place or one was wanting to start or pressure to reopen one?

I'm open to the discussion, thanks @benjs
              There was no ongoing investigation.
            • Options
              dignin said:
              dignin said:
              dignin said:
              dignin said:
              mcgruff10 said:

Sorry I'm skeptical.

Here is some context.

Foreign policy undercut

Was you there?
                Ah shit, you got me.

Game, set, match.
              • Options
                The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
                Republican sources on Capitol Hill told CNN there's a "growing unease that there is no defense" of the President's actions.
                "How do you defend the indefensible?" one source told CNN. "We can't defend the substance, all we can do is talk about process."
                chinese-happy.jpg
              • Options
                OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
                "THE FIELD"
                "How do you defend the indefensible?" 
                Kool-Aid is a hell of a drug.
                1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
                2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
              • Options
                Fun facts are like dots! You like dots, right? 107 closed door hearings during the Benghazi investigation. 107. Remember those chickens? Bok bok bok. Trey “three times” Gowdy looks like a rooster, or a woosta, as Wob might say. Any defenders?

Brilliantati©
              • Options
                Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,637
                Republican sources on Capitol Hill told CNN there's a "growing unease that there is no defense" of the President's actions.
                "How do you defend the indefensible?" one source told CNN. "We can't defend the substance, all we can do is talk about process."
                It only took three years of indefensible acts for them to reach the ‘growing unease’ phase. 
              • Options
                “Do us a favor, ya know.” The senate trial will be so much fun. 

Brilliantati©
              • Options
                Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,619
                edited October 2019
                Now we know what all the ruckus is about. The walls are closing in. I'm sure it'll be appealed to the Supreme Court and we'll see if Roberts wants to protect the Team Trump Treason or let the House have their evidence.
                • A federal judge on Friday said that the U.S. Justice Department must turn over to the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee normally secret grand jury material collected as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation.
                • Judge Beryl Howard, in her ruling, repeatedly noted that the House is conducting an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, which could be assisted with the material assembled by Mueller’s probe.
                • Howard brushed aside arguments made by Trump’s supporters in and outside of Congress that the House’s  impeachment inquiry is illegitimate because the House has not held a formal vote to authorize such a probe.

Judge Beryl Howard, in her ruling, repeatedly noted that the House is conducting an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump, which could be assisted with the material assembled by Mueller’s probe.

“The need for continued secrecy is minimal and thus easily outweighed by [the Judiciary Committee’s] HJC’s compelling need for the material,” Howard wrote in the decision issued in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., where she is chief judge.

“Tipping the scale even further toward disclosure is the public’s interest in a diligent and thorough investigation into, and in a final determination about, potentially impeachable conduct by the President described in the Mueller Report.”

Howard brushed aside arguments made by Trump’s supporters in and outside of Congress that the House’s  impeachment inquiry is illegitimate because the House has not held a formal vote to authorize such a probe.

“Even in cases of presidential impeachment, a House resolution has never, in fact, been required to begin an impeachment inquiry,” Howard wrote.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/25/judge-orders-release-of-mueller-material-citing-impeachment-chance.html

Storm the secure hearing room in chicken costumes! 

Brilliantati©
              • Options
                “Was you there?” Well, indeed I was.

https://apple.news/AD94VKOrRTsW5KhDcvDH_vA

Brilliantati©