Options

2017 No Covers tour

2»

Comments

• Options

One cover a show would be my vote. Way too many lately. With an expanding catalog they need to focus on their own material. Bands with one or two studio albums need to play covers to round out the set, PJ doesn't have that problem.

I see more established long lived acts play covers than newcomers with one or two studio albums.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354

One cover a show would be my vote. Way too many lately. With an expanding catalog they need to focus on their own material. Bands with one or two studio albums need to play covers to round out the set, PJ doesn't have that problem.

Gotta agree. They have way to many good tunes of their own.
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,966
    VillagePJ said:

what is happening to some of you guys?

this lack of shows is frying your brains.

We've got some people saying the shows are too long and now declaring theyre not bothered about certain songs and please stop playing covers. Maybe youve been to too many shows and should let some other fans enjoy every single moment of what are pretty rare events, I think in the UK we've had 6 shows in 9 years!!!!!

I love the long shows and love the covers, for me, these shows are perfect the way they are.....I seriously cannot believe what people complain about on here.

The thread isn't a complaint, far from it. Prob what I'm trying to highlight more than anything is the list of great songs that don't see much daylight and maybe one way of playing them more is a playing a few less covers. Now one might argue play less Even Flow or Betterman, but id much rather hear an original than a cover. I also stated I love a rousing renditions of Baba and RitFw etc...

I've been to 6 shows total so I'd take a full show of covers if I had too tbh.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I feel like there aren't as many covers anymore. I think of the 2003 shows and there seemed to be a ton of covers then. 3-4 a show every night it seemed.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,998
    edited January 2017
    Strange little thing...the last 3 Pearl Jam shows I've been at they played Surrender in all 3 of them. That is MSG 2 and the 2 Wrigley shows. That's a maybe a bit much. I do love the covers....but also miss some of the underplayed songs. I especially don't know why they have turned Glorified G and Dissident in to rarities.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,250
    Sarava said:

Strange little thing...the last 3 Pearl Jam shows I've been at they played Surrender in all 3 of them. That is MSG 2 and the 2 Wrigley shows. That's a maybe a bit much. I do love the covers....but also miss some of the underplayed songs. I especially don't know why they have turned Glorified G and Dissident in to rarities.

I think Dissident and Glorified are getting the shaft because of those high register parts in each that Ed seems to be hit or miss on sometimes. Once he has full control again, I think those will come back more frequently.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,966
    tbergs said:

Sarava said:

I think Dissident and Glorified are getting the shaft because of those high register parts in each that Ed seems to be hit or miss on sometimes. Once he has full control again, I think those will come back more frequently.
    I'd agree with this too. I think there are some PJ originals that Ed does find harder to sing these days.

Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,079
    mwplum said:

No covers....25 songs or less....two recent threads that I couldn't disagree with more. I respect these op's opinions, but hostly feel these are the worst threads ever. A big part of the reason I love this band so much, and perhaps the biggest reason I'm willing to travel to multiple shows is that they play 33+ songs/night and also play exciting and often unexpected covers.

:clap:
    Thank you.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    id love to see that version of comfortably numb sometime soon
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,049
    pdalowsky said:

id love to see that version of comfortably numb sometime soon

I absolutely love hearing comfortably numb played at Lexington this year! Sounded amazing and makes you really appreciate the covers that they play!
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    No covers at all? Not a fan of this.

Not everyone that attends a PJ show knows every damn song from their catalogue. You need good mix of hits, rarities, and covers - and PJ does this perfectly. The 2016 tour was probably the best tour in recent years and they followed this perfectly.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    HollandHolland Posts: 73
    edited January 2017
    LukinFan said:

No covers at all? Not a fan of this.

Not everyone that attends a PJ show knows every damn song from their catalogue. You need good mix of hits, rarities, and covers - and PJ does this perfectly. The 2016 tour was probably the best tour in recent years and they followed this perfectly.

Ya 2016 was great. I would love to see them mirror this tour with a midwest/west coast swing this year. I love that they have no album to have to play. 2013 was great as well but the flow of the show was so up and down with some stinkers that are on the LB album that they were forced to play.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,275
    I like covers. Some of my favourite songs are covers. Especially the ones from the early days (probably because i've been listening to them for 25 years). Sonic Reducer, Baba O' Riley, Masters of War, Fuckin' Up, I've got a Feelin', etc... I love hearing them do covers live.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Wrigley shows. They played lots of covers, but a lot of them were old school gems. I guess i'm not super picky. Rare Originals, Rare covers, I like hearing both.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    agree
    danny d
  • Options
    cc294283cc294283 chicago Posts: 13
    Glorified and diss were awesome in Greenville. Lucky to see.
    chicago stadium 3/94, regal theater 3/94, milwaukee 14 greenville 16 wrigley 1$2 16
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,901
    I generally only enjoy covers if the band brings a completely different take to the stage. Sometimes if the mood and the song is right, a straight up copy cover can be really cool. I saw Brian Fallon(The Gaslight Anthem) in a small club and he played Atlantic City just like Bruce. It was pretty magical and everyone was singing along.
    I'd also vote for less covers and more originals from PJ.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    sheri zonasheri zona Makai Side Posts: 356
    I don't mind the covers, especially Masters of War. I remember doing the 'Eddie' version of this song back in the 90s when that Dylan tribute came out with my friends in the car. Screaming the song Eddie style at the top of our lungs. Was great to hear live this summer. Good memories. So I say cover on, boys. Oh, and if I ever, EVER say the shows are too long, take away my Ten Club membership and club me over the head with it.
    in an underwater nation...near chinamans hat
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    F This covers rule....BIG fan of the covers. They have turned me onto so mnat other bands with their covers. KEEP EM COMING!!!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Wait...baba and rockin are covers????

:lol:

I like what I have seen and heard. I will keep going as long as I can afford to. I like the long shows. I like the songs, however, big thumbs down to comfortably numb - no particular reason, just meh.

I know I will never hear all of their songs live - so let the set be what the set will be. What's even better than covers are the special guests that come along with! :rock_on:

More little wing please!!!!!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    cc294283cc294283 chicago Posts: 13
    It's OK! Great cover on my wishlist to hear live
    chicago stadium 3/94, regal theater 3/94, milwaukee 14 greenville 16 wrigley 1$2 16
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Might be a good idea. Some of the girls undoubtedly will get cold and will need to snuggle up to strangers.