Options

Blank Discussion Topic

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless, Germany owes vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!

Trump says and does a lot of terrible things, but some bluntness I do like is when he calls out countries that are not paying their fare share.

I didn't like when he mentioned the US wire tapping Merkel, but at the same time it is refreshing to hear that stuff and expose the hypocrisy of it all.

I am pissed that he is cutting funding to orgs like Meals on Wheels while he spends $3 million each weekend to go to Florida.
    The President of the United States has no idea how NATO works. What an embarrassment.
    Yeah, it's pretty sad. Can't say I'm surprised, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    mfc2006 said:

Despite what you have heard from the FAKE NEWS, I had a GREAT meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel. Nevertheless, Germany owes vast sums of money to NATO & the United States must be paid more for the powerful, and very expensive, defense it provides to Germany!

Trump says and does a lot of terrible things, but some bluntness I do like is when he calls out countries that are not paying their fare share.

I didn't like when he mentioned the US wire tapping Merkel, but at the same time it is refreshing to hear that stuff and expose the hypocrisy of it all.

I am pissed that he is cutting funding to orgs like Meals on Wheels while he spends $3 million each weekend to go to Florida.
    The President of the United States has no idea how NATO works. What an embarrassment.
    Yeah, it's pretty sad. Can't say I'm surprised, though.
    Here's the thing, though. Surely there is someone on his staff who DOES understand how NATO works. Seems like they could advise him before he makes an ass of himself on Twitter. Guess that's asking too much.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    edited March 2017
    This Monday will be 3 months into this administrations of running the country what you guys think ,,

Inside Trump’s White House, New York moderates spark infighting and suspicion - The Washington Post
    https://apple.news/ANynoumRYSjGBXAqJJ4810Q
    Post edited by josevolution on
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited March 2017

Well, if the Politico article is correct, then the US pays 22% of NATO's costs and currently Germany hasn't paid its required 2% of GDP contribution (although the deadline is not yet passed). So, Trump's Tweet isn't too far off in that Germany hasn't yet met its obligations and that perhaps the US is paying more than its fair share (which Obama agreed according to this article). Trump's terrible though at communicating the details. Twitter is not a good format for complex topics. If you break his Tweet apart though he only says that Germany owes NATO (which they have underpaid so far), and then separately says Germany should be paying the US for the US's disproportionate support (the way I read it and what again Obama indirectly argued for).

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-presidential-debate-fact-check/2016/09/trump-is-way-off-on-how-much-of-natos-budget-is-paid-by-the-us-228738
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Wow.. a

Well, if the Politico article is correct, then the US pays 22% of NATO's costs and currently Germany hasn't paid its required 2% of GDP contribution (although the deadline is not yet passed). So, Trump's Tweet isn't too far off in that Germany hasn't yet met its obligations and that perhaps the US is paying more than its fair share (which Obama agreed according to this article). Trump's terrible though at communicating the details. Twitter is not a good format for complex topics. If you break his Tweet apart though he only says that Germany owes NATO (which they have underpaid so far), and then separately says Germany should be paying the US for the US's disproportionate support (the way I read it and what again Obama indirectly argued for).

http://www.politico.com/blogs/2016-presidential-debate-fact-check/2016/09/trump-is-way-off-on-how-much-of-natos-budget-is-paid-by-the-us-228738
    But here's the thing... Trump thinks of everything as transactional in nature. Like a business is run.. Did I win the battle of the deal or lose? Is this fair or unfair to me? It's a corporate mindset.

But that's not the right calculus when practicing geopolitics. Safety and security is first. You get them to honor the obligations, but you don't really leave NATO or threaten to dismantle because they haven't met the requirements....which I think are due in 2024 btw..
  • Options
    ^^^
    Nothing wrong with being transactional in nature on the political front. This latest German talking head is all but forgotten now because the MSM has focused on the non-handshake instead of her words.
    Why would you want to shake hands w/ someone that you oppose?
    This isn't a sport it's your economy.
    You still haven't answered if you agree or not w/ what your President said regarding Germany and NATO.
  • Options

^^^
    Nothing wrong with being transactional in nature on the political front. This latest German talking head is all but forgotten now because the MSM has focused on the non-handshake instead of her words.
    You still haven't answered if you agree or not w/ what your President said regarding Germany and NATO.

Gibberish
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2017
    mrussel1 said:

^^^

Gibberish
    I would love to live in a world where I can just say gibberish to things I don't want to hear and carry on like I didn't say it.
    Is that the liberal land?
    Do you agree with what President Trump said about Germany and NATO?

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Gibberish
    I would love to live in a world where I can just say gibberish to things I don't want to hear and carry on like I didn't say it.

No.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Gibberish

Gibberish is said to words that belong at the kids' table, not things you don't want to hear.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Tiki said:

Trump is a jackass.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

^^^

So now we think people shouldn't even shake hands because they disagree politically? We are talking about the leaders of Germany and the US here for God's sake. Pathetic!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    How Much Does Trump Actually Work At Mar-A-Lago? Maybe Not So Much - The Huffington Post
    https://apple.news/AW8d3LgweQRWg1tHrGRPJvg

Hypocrisy at its best !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

How Much Does Trump Actually Work At Mar-A-Lago? Maybe Not So Much - The Huffington Post
    https://apple.news/AW8d3LgweQRWg1tHrGRPJvg

Hypocrisy at its best !

His supporters don't care. He's doing a wonderful job.

We all know what 70% of the world thinks about the bafoon and his supporters. They don't care, they love it.
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

^^^

Gibberish

Gibberish = things that are nonsense.., not things I disagree with.
  • Options
  • Options
    I agree with President Trump about Alec Baldwin on SNL. It's dumb, not really funny it and it's getting old now.
    Same for that baby Schumer and fake tears.
    And I certainly agree with "Trump then took aim at Zucker, who green-lit "The Apprentice" back when he was an executive at NBC but now oversees CNN, which Trump mocks on a regular basis.
    "Jeff Zucker, I mean, I got him the job. And CNN is just, you know, fake news," Trump told Watters.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/entertainment/celebrity/trump-rips-alec-baldwin-chuck-schumer-jeff-zucker-in-fox-news-interview/ar-BBymbRC?li=AAggNb9&ocid=mailsignout
  • Options

There are no "dues" to paid to NATO. No country agreed to pay 2% of its GDP to NATO. Each country did agree to spend at least 2% of its GDP on its own defense, in its own budget. And it is true that most countries have slipped below those thresholds.

But they don't "owe" that money to NATO or anybody else. What they "owe" is more money contributed to their own defense budgets, which are complicated things that have to pass legislative bodies (even in the U.S.). Most have vowed to get their budgets up by 2024.

It is absolutely fair to suggest other countries aren't completely living up to their part of the agreement. Many officials in many other administrations have noted the same.

Trump has a fundamental misunderstanding of how NATO works. It is not business relationship. It is a defense alliance, originally formed to buttress against Russian encroachment eastward. It is very much in the United States' best interests to have a strong and well-defended Europe. That's the part Trump doesn't seem to understand and I can't imagine why not (Hint: A strong NATO is bad for Russia).
  • Options

^^^

This is the point where I mention that Germany is an ally.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Tiki said:

that's fucking horrible. Even if you support this asshole, you have to realize how fucked up that is.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2017

^^^

This is the point where I mention that Germany is an ally.
    I realize that.
    I mean in a sense of the opinions during the meeting. You can still be friends but have heated discussions like this one.
    I'm sure your POTUS had some choice words to tell her and left it at that.
    Pay up or shut up (only in not so nice words) was the tone I'm sure. President Trump set and kept the tone the entire visit, good for him.
  • Options
    you can shake hands like a fucking statesman as well.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    Tiki said:

you can shake hands like a fucking statesman as well.

Or like an adult
  • Options
    Who doesn't shake hands?

What a loser
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    Google "sassy trump" =)
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Lizard said:

Google "sassy trump" =)

:rofl:

I never tire of this video. He almost pushes her down that escalator with one hand.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjPZvxwgEk
This discussion has been closed.