Preference question?

2»

Comments

• ^^^
    I really wish they would speed up Interstellar Overdrive and Sonic Reducer.
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Corduroy has been sped up since 98. Also I would love to hear even flow at a slower tempo like the early 90's. More close to the tempo it was played on ten. But they are great either way.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    People love to blame Matt for the tempo, but songs like GTF, SOLAT, Corduroy, DTE, etc. the pace is already set by the guitar.

If the band wanted to play slower they would.

That being said, some are good fast, some are bad.

Really they don't play ANY song at the original tempo anymore
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    Sometimes I wonder why they don't take the stage earlier. There's no opening band. I found Wrigley to point this out a bit. Wrigley 1 went a bit long. They actually (for a brief few seconds) lit up all the lights and turned on the PA music after the encore, except there was still another encore to go. I'm guessing PJ had to get some last minute OK's to keep playing past 11. Then at Wrigley II they put out notices all over Social Media that the show would start at 7:40pm prompt. Assumingly so they didn't run into the time crunch they did at the first show. They still didn't start until 8pm and they got really tight for time at the end (speeding right through ledbetter so they could play I've got a feeling).

1) I think it's amazing the band feels time crunched, and has a hard time fitting their show into 3 hours. That's just awesome.

2) I don't get why they don't start a bit earlier. It's crazy to say, because you sound like an asshole saying 3 hours isn't enough, but even the band has a hard time with it sometimes. Why not put 7pm on the tickets, start around 7:30 or 7:40pm, and you've got 3 hours plus 20 to 30 minutes of "breathing room"?

Those are my thoughts. Not so much on the speed up issue, but the fact Pearl Jam can barely contain itself to 3 hours :)

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,622
    Zod said:

Sometimes I wonder why they don't take the stage earlier. There's no opening band. I found Wrigley to point this out a bit. Wrigley 1 went a bit long. They actually (for a brief few seconds) lit up all the lights and turned on the PA music after the encore, except there was still another encore to go. I'm guessing PJ had to get some last minute OK's to keep playing past 11. Then at Wrigley II they put out notices all over Social Media that the show would start at 7:40pm prompt. Assumingly so they didn't run into the time crunch they did at the first show. They still didn't start until 8pm and they got really tight for time at the end (speeding right through ledbetter so they could play I've got a feeling).

1) I think it's amazing the band feels time crunched, and has a hard time fitting their show into 3 hours. That's just awesome.

2) I don't get why they don't start a bit earlier. It's crazy to say, because you sound like an asshole saying 3 hours isn't enough, but even the band has a hard time with it sometimes. Why not put 7pm on the tickets, start around 7:30 or 7:40pm, and you've got 3 hours plus 20 to 30 minutes of "breathing room"?

Those are my thoughts. Not so much on the speed up issue, but the fact Pearl Jam can barely contain itself to 3 hours :)

Well stated. I think they've sped up songs to squeeze more in before curfew, but if they started earlier we could still get the same amount of songs with the opportunity to slow some of them down. That would be ideal.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    tbergs said:

Zod said:

Well stated. I think they've sped up songs to squeeze more in before curfew, but if they started earlier we could still get the same amount of songs with the opportunity to slow some of them down. That would be ideal.
    Totally agree with you guys. With no opening band I see no reason why they can t go on 7:30-8:15. That way they could just take their time.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    Smellyman said:

People love to blame Matt for the tempo, but songs like GTF, SOLAT, Corduroy, DTE, etc. the pace is already set by the guitar.

If the band wanted to play slower they would.

That being said, some are good fast, some are bad.

Really they don't play ANY song at the original tempo anymore

Yeah, I don't blame Matt. I blame the whole band.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Sorry to go off topic but this thread reminds me of this article: http://nymag.com/speed/2016/12/is-speed-watching-tv-shows-as-stupid-as-it-sounds.html

Regarding the shows: Would we be okay if the band started at the "usual" time, slowed the songs down, and played LESS of them? I'm not too sure what to think about a (non-festival) PJ show that has less than 30 songs!!!!
    rummy said:

Sorry to go off topic but this thread reminds me of this article: http://nymag.com/speed/2016/12/is-speed-watching-tv-shows-as-stupid-as-it-sounds.html

Regarding the shows: Would we be okay if the band started at the "usual" time, slowed the songs down, and played LESS of them? I'm not too sure what to think about a (non-festival) PJ show that has less than 30 songs!!!!

Yes, I would much prefer fewer songs played at the best speed. I am actually surprised anyone would prefer any band to speed up their songs just so they can cram more songs into a setlist.
    Anyway, yeah, this issue is noticeable.... not disastrous, lol. The shows are still great obviously. They could be a bit better if the tempo was treated a little more delicately at times.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    rummy said:

Obviously that would depend on which songs got cut. If they cut some staples that they play all the time I might not be against it. If they cut out some more of the rare or less played songs I would be against it.

Honestly it's not something that bugs me enough to feel it warrants change. I only noticed it a bit at wrigley because the venue turned on the house lights on night 1. Thus on night two (especially towards the end) they became very efficient :)
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    I highly highly doubt they speed up songs to fit more in.

Actually I am positive they don't do this.
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    edited January 2017
    Cut a few "classics" from the setlists - I would be happy if they played less songs at a slower pace. I will proceed to hide under my chair to avoid stoning....
    Post edited by buck502000 on
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,100
    Slower for me too. Corduroy and Given to Fly in particular would benefit.
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • Slower for me...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Faster
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited January 2017
    Smellyman said:

I highly highly doubt they speed up songs to fit more in.

Actually I am positive they don't do this.

No, of course they don't.... Though I'm not totally sure why they do do it; I find it a little hard to believe they all think it improves the songs. :pensive:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    I prefer them to play them however they want. Whatever keeps them motivated and having the fun and energy they have on stage.

I prefer them to play them however they want. Whatever keeps them motivated and having the fun and energy they have on stage.

Well if the reason they do it is to keep up the energy on stage, I guess that's technically an okay reason, although I would wonder why it's necessary for them.