Preference question?

NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
Curious, without insulting any band member, do you prefer the pace of the songs, at a show, more consistant with the album version (which is typically slower ) or the live versions which have progressively gotten faster through the years?  I know its tough but an overall either or "faster" or "slower " answer would be much appreciated.   Since i started it, I will poison the well saying i love the live versions closer to the original pace.  Just revisited the version of Animal from MTV awards..awesome!
www.twitter.com/robert_harbin

Comments

• jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Slower. Not sure why things got so sped up, but it takes a lot of the groove away.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    I want to hear a slowed down version of evenflow just once!! Having said that I think it depends on the song: given to fly sounds better sped up. Evenflow sounds much better slowed down.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    I would be a terrible musician. I couldn't tell one version from another in terms of the pace.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

on2legs said:

I would be a terrible musician. I couldn't tell one version from another in terms of the pace.

Yes you could. Listen to given to fly on live on two legs then the same song on any boot post 2010. Same thing with evenflow, anything 1992 then something from 2016.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    I'm neutral. It's not something that's really bothered me or enhanced/detracted from my enjoyment of the song. I guess tempo is something my brain doesn't really care about. I love given to fly from l02l and I love hearing given to fly at recent shows.
    mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Yes you could. Listen to given to fly on live on two legs then the same song on any boot post 2010. Same thing with evenflow, anything 1992 then something from 2016.
    I'm not disagreeing with you guys and I can hear a little difference listening side by side to different versions. But I can't pick up any noticeable difference just listening through the course of a concert. It would have never occurred to me things are sped up now if people didn't mention it. I just don't have the ear for it.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Slower
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

I'm not disagreeing with you guys and I can hear a little difference listening side by side to different versions. But I can't pick up any noticeable difference just listening through the course of a concert. It would have never occurred to me things are sped up now if people didn't mention it. I just don't have the ear for it.
    You should check out the version of Lukin from a couple of years ago. They slowed it down a tad and you might pick up on it.

I'm a sarcastic asshole. I'm like you though, I never really picked up on tempo changes but when they were pointed out- it was crystal clear.
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    You people are terrible at following directions but i love debate :)

on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

You should check out the version of Lukin from a couple of years ago. They slowed it down a tad and you might pick up on it.

I'm a sarcastic asshole. I'm like you though, I never really picked up on tempo changes but when they were pointed out- it was crystal clear.
    I was at MSG for the slow Lukin. Definitely picked up on that one :smiley:

on2legs said:

on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

I was at MSG for the slow Lukin. Definitely picked up on that one :smiley:
    That one may not count..that was different version if i remember right.
    He was definitely giving a sarcastic response to my sarcastic comment about slow Lukin.
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560
    I love the slower versions (pre-2000), but if we get longer improvs with the sped up versions I'll take it.
    eg. Forum 98 Corduroy (slow, 5 min) is majestic but so was FenwayII 2016 Corduroy (fast, 6 min).
    I'll rest on the fence for now.

on2legs said:

mcgruff10 said:

on2legs said:

Dude that was funny as hell!! Nice work.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,622
    Impossible to pick a side. I agree with the above, depends on the song. If I picked solely based on the energy generated, I'd say faster, but I think we've lost some quality on really fast songs because Ed can't transition tones as easily as he once could.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Noload said:

Well you started a thread asking for responses to be "Faster" or "Slower but went on to explain your choice.

Slower
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Posts: 2,737
    Slower.

For some reason, when playing live, it gets really easy to speed songs up. I notice it at band practice, and it drives me insane!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

Noload said:

Well you started a thread asking for responses to be "Faster" or "Slower but went on to explain your choice.

Slower
    Yes..thats my crazy rules..i get to explain u don' t;)
    Noload said:

Noload said:

Slower
    Since he's the biggest Trump supporter on the board, he totally understands your logic there.

Noload said:

Noload said:

Slower
    Since he's the biggest Trump supporter on the board, he totally understands your logic there.
    Oh no, Trump got into my post..maybe he is the Wizard! All hail!
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited January 2017
    ^^^
    Trump is everywhere.
    :rofl:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    edited January 2017
    Ribbed?
    :whistle:

Personally, I could see some songs taking on a different tempo, but I've always loved Live on Two Legs, how those were done in tune with the album versions.

That was their third album I bought, just a few months after discovering this band.

*edit - one of the best things I ever did :)
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Faster
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • joseph33joseph33 Posts: 1,247
    mcgruff10 said:

I want to hear a slowed down version of evenflow just once!! Having said that I think it depends on the song: given to fly sounds better sped up. Evenflow sounds much better slowed down.

Yup,as would I.
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    Drumming is everything
  • joseph33joseph33 Posts: 1,247
    My ear is always keen to hearing bass.It just always stands out in no matter what I hear.
  • Drumming is everything

This.

From a drummers perspective, it's kind of like a progression type thing. You play the songs so many times, getting more comfortable each time, making it easier to speed things up eventually.

I doubt the band minds. It's keeps the energy high on the faster-paced songs, and the songs that were intended to be slow seem to stay slow.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,840
    Faster, assuming that means we get an extra song or two crammed into the evening's setlist.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited January 2017
    Slower, for the most part. Sometimes it makes sense to speed it up, at least sometimes for variety, kind of like improvising, but I don't get why they speed up SO MANY songs on a regular basis. I would definitely much prefer fewer songs played right on the setlist than more songs played too fast. Speeding everything up kind of harshes the groove at times.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    What songs are sped up?
    evenflow, given to fly, animal, dte I think....what else?