What's a good life lesson you want to pass on to your fellow Pearl Jam fan friends?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    SD48277 said:

Don't assume that how other people are reacting is all about you. We tend to think that the world revolves around us but it doesn't. How people react usually is almost completely to do with them. The world will have a lot less drama if we don't take everything personally.

Is this about me? :wink:

You got me ;).

Should have qualified that to say "don't assume the world revolves around you unless you're SD, in which case it does", and justifiably so.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • dankind said:

Be honest, never back down from stating the truth regardless of the condemnation from others.

Truth is relative. Everyone has her/his own truth.

Facts, however, as a great Masshole once said, "are stubborn things."

I can state a fact and never back down because a fact is a fact is a fact. There is no disputing it.

I can state a truth and never back down, but then I just seem like a smug fuck (see Donald Trump for some, perhaps Bernie Sanders for others) because it's merely my truth. And the person from whom I'm receiving condemnation has every right to condemn me because they have their own truth that might feel under fire from my unbending and at-arms self-righteousness.
    I didn't say to never back down, I said don't be afraid to state a truth, because others will condemn. Every person should feel that freedom. I guess some just feel better saying that by doing that you are being , not really a surprising statement to hear around here though I guess. Some people just can't help supporting the idea that others shouldn't get to have their say because the don't want to hear it or it isn't their truth.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    deadendp said:

SD48277 said:

Don't assume that how other people are reacting is all about you. We tend to think that the world revolves around us but it doesn't. How people react usually is almost completely to do with them. The world will have a lot less drama if we don't take everything personally.

Always carry a knife.

Or learn how to craft a shiv.
    And remember to drop plastic sheeting. :wink:
    Hydrogen Peroxide is an amazing blood cleaner...
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

SD48277 said:

Always carry a knife.

My lab nurse just told me this yesterday because my test was a gusher and stained my jeans.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:

RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

SD48277 said:

Always carry a knife.

My lab nurse just told me this yesterday because my test was a gusher and stained my jeans.
    Your "test", eh?
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    dankind said:

RKCNDY said:

deadendp said:

SD48277 said:

Always carry a knife.

It will act like bleach if you leave it on for a long time. Pour some on right before laundering. Let it sit for 5 minutes or so and then toss into the washer.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    Join bugs.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • rollingsrollings Posts: 7,124
    don't fry bacon with your teeth,
    also,
    if you have a 2 or 3 year old that says stuff (going upwards until about 10 or 13 when they stop talking) WRITE THOSE AMAZING LITTLE QUOTES DOWN immediately.... You think you will remember them later on in a day or two or a week, or anytime but guess what--. you won't .
    have paper and pen everywhere. or cell phones everywhere, gather them all up later,

In five years and ten and twenty years later, you can come up on pearljam.com and thank me for this treasure
    rollings said:

also,
    if you have a 2 or 3 year old that says stuff (going upwards until about 10 or 13 when they stop talking) WRITE THOSE AMAZING LITTLE QUOTES DOWN immediately.... You think you will remember them later on in a day or two or a week, or anytime but guess what--. you won't .
    have paper and pen everywhere. or cell phones everywhere, gather them all up later,

In five years and ten and twenty years later, you can come up on pearljam.com and thank me for this treasure

Second time tonight - damn!

Bowie singing with the beautiful Ms. Dorsey - Under Pressure.

"These are the days". Make fucking note of it, whether pen to paper, or words to mind.

• yes...yes...yes...kensington market....projected to the pole...north that is...thanks gals for the reminder...must get jiggy with a radio...technology pressess me... forward biatchin blues...thumbaalina moves...drawstring lovers...randy`s vinyly tapping my shrek finger..MICHAEL JACKSON &The DOORs??? clearly missed the easy transition through men...never easy...always simple...amazing hubs i have never visited before...lucious luddites arise...perhaps the wrong thread...whole new weave....WOWSA!!

edit..pinot terroir at work
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434

yes...yes...yes...kensington market....projected to the pole...north that is...thanks gals for the reminder...must get jiggy with a radio...technology pressess me... forward biatchin blues...thumbaalina moves...drawstring lovers...randy`s vinyly tapping my shrek finger..MICHAEL JACKSON &The DOORs??? clearly missed the easy transition through men...never easy...always simple...amazing hubs i have never visited before...lucious luddites arise...perhaps the wrong thread...whole new weave....WOWSA!!

Huh?
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,351
    rollings said:

also,

This is good advice. My wife has some sort of journal where she does this with your youngest. She's 8 now and when you read some of the things she did when she was 2, 3, 4, it is pretty amazing and hysterical.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Spend more time outdoors.
    Grow something. Anything.
    Spend less money so you can worry less about work...hell, work less.
    Embrace the small tasks like cooking, cleaning and repairs as a chance to have a tangible effect in life, particularly for office workers who don't do tangible work.

Grate your own cheese. Shredded cheese in a bag is a travesty.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    edited January 2017

yes...yes...yes...kensington market....projected to the pole...north that is...thanks gals for the reminder...must get jiggy with a radio...technology pressess me... forward biatchin blues...thumbaalina moves...drawstring lovers...randy`s vinyly tapping my shrek finger..MICHAEL JACKSON &The DOORs??? clearly missed the easy transition through men...never easy...always simple...amazing hubs i have never visited before...lucious luddites arise...perhaps the wrong thread...whole new weave....WOWSA!!

I have had some good times in Kensington Market, so I'm with you there, at least.

Edit: I think I missed the easy transition through men, as well.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    edited January 2017
    rgambs said:

Grate your own cheese. Shredded cheese in a bag is a travesty.

I started doing this about two years ago. Tastes better, stays fresh longer, and it's often cheaper. And if you want a slice to melt on a sandwich, you can cut a slice. Saves space in your fridge as one block of cheese replaces your bags of shredded and your Kraft singles (which aren't even real cheese anyway).
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,106
    vogonpoetbythelake is winning in my books. I like coming on PJ.com with a little booooooozy booze booze in me.

My advice:

If you have the opportunity to have the greatest night of your lift, it is your responsibility to make it happen.

If you struggle in highschool or university, fucking do the practice problems, re-write your notes after each class and then repeat step one.

If a good guy or girl comes along your way, give him or her a chance. Don't lose the good ones.

Start saving as early as possible (IRA, 401k's, RRSP's, TFSA's or whatever savings tools are available in your country)

Pay off your highest interest rate debts FIRST.

Invite people over to your house for games nights. Surprising the chemistry that can blossom from these.

Don't be stupid.

Learn the guitar. Really learn it.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Posts: 1,716
    •Be conscious of others (try to put yourself in their shoes)...
    •Let someone merge in front of you.
    •Pull up all the way when getting on the highway so more cars can fit behind you.
    •Open doors for people. Hold the elevator.
    •If you see an elderly person or someone with a small child, offer to help them load their groceries or take their cart back for them.
    •Say hello or smile at strangers as you walk by.
    •Be extra nice to those that have a sour look on their face...we all have bad days, sometimes it just takes that one nice person to turn it around.
    •Stand up for others if you see an injustice.
    •Listen to people's stories. There's so much we can learn from each other.
    •Most of all, try to find something nice in each person you meet, no matter how awful they may seem. There's some good in everyone. And first impressions may not always be correct.

•Pull up all the way when getting on the highway so more cars can fit behind you.
    •If you see an elderly person or someone with a small child, offer to help them load their groceries or take their cart back for them.
    •Be extra nice to those that have a sour look on their face...we all have bad days, sometimes it just takes that one nice person to turn it around.
    •Most of all, try to find something nice in each person you meet, no matter how awful they may seem. There's some good in everyone. And first impressions may not always be correct.

:weary:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

Can't bring yourself to do any of those eh, DK.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
    dankind said:

Don't roll your eyes at me, you cranky old man! (I know you're younger than I, but not by much). Do I really need to go out there and give you a big ol' hug? You know you're just asking for it! :smiley:
  • dankind said:

Don't roll your eyes at me, you cranky old man! (I know you're younger than I, but not by much). Do I really need to go out there and give you a big ol' hug? You know you're just asking for it! :smiley:
    Lmbo!! He needs some positive reinforcement therapy.. hug, hug, hug a jerk, squeeze im' til he smiles.
    Let the love overflow, hug im' til' he smiles!

( sung to row your boat.. couldn't resist. :giggle: )

dankind said:

Quite the contrary: Most of the items on this list are basically common courtesy, and I'm a raised right man.

The tag for the eye-rolling guy is "weary," which is what I am if the state of things now is such that these are now considered life lessons that should be passed on. Everyone should know and practice this stuff at every opportunity.

Although I will say I am often guilty of not holding the elevator door at yabba-dabba-doo time, but I'll hold it all morning if I'm on my way up to work. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

dankind said:

Quite the contrary: Most of the items on this list are basically common courtesy, and I'm a raised right man.

The tag for the eye-rolling guy is "weary," which is what I am if the state of things now is such that these are now considered life lessons that should be passed on. Everyone should know and practice this stuff at every opportunity.

Although I will say I am often guilty of not holding the elevator door at yabba-dabba-doo time, but I'll hold it all morning if I'm on my way up to work. :lol:
    See? I knew you could do it! :smiley:
    Unfortunately these things aren't very common anymore. Many people are self-centered jerks these days. Sad but true.
  • You reap what you sow
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    mrussel1 said:

To our younger members...If you aren't wealthy, go to a JUCO after high school and then transfer. People only care about the school from which you graduated. Don't waste a 100k in student loans for the first two years.

Go straight to a 4 yr college/university. Learn inside and outside the classroom. Its worth it & a JUCO won't provide you with the same experiences & won't prepare you for the MAJOR differences in academic rigor when you transfer.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • You reap what you sow

Amen!

Lift with your legs.

And don't chew gum with your mouth open.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    Do everything you possibly can to stay out of credit card debt, even if it means making sacrifices and depriving yourself.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,351

mrussel1 said:

To our younger members...If you aren't wealthy, go to a JUCO after high school and then transfer. People only care about the school from which you graduated. Don't waste a 100k in student loans for the first two years.

Go straight to a 4 yr college/university. Learn inside and outside the classroom. Its worth it & a JUCO won't provide you with the same experiences & won't prepare you for the MAJOR differences in academic rigor when you transfer.
    I disagree. The 50+k difference is not worth it if you need to build debt to get there. When you hire someone, no one cares about your GPA. It only matters your degree and the university.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    There are careers that hire entry level high school diploma too.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.