What do you guys use/How Do You Store Your Digital Music files?

bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
Title says it all. Just curious if there are different methods. Thanks!

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    edited December 2016
    I copy them onto data DVDR discs. I also back them up on data Blu-ray discs & Hard Drives.

In time I will store them all to the clouds ...

Post edited by demetrios on
  • portable drives, DVDRs, and cloud.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    I have it on my computer and backed up to a portable drive.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• External via computer and lots and lots of discs burned.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    Internal drive, Home Cloud, External drive at another location
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    External hard drive, USB flash drives, DVDR discs, and BR discs. Definitely need more then one back up.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    edited December 2016
    I think I'm OCD. I have a FLAC Directory on my hard drive which I've been building for nearly 10 years. I think it's over 700 albums now. There's the local copy on the PC. I have a media box (called a popcorn hour) hooked up to my tv which has a 6tb internal hard drive, so there's a clone of the directory on there too. I have some old 2tb drives I don't use anymore, so I back it up at home from time to time, and every year or so I have a hard drive at work that I back up my music and pictures on, so I make an updated copy to that. If the house burns down the biggest hits (datawise to me) would be my digital music collection and all my pictures. Having a copy offsite at least hedges against something bad happening to the house and wiping out all those copies.

It took a long time to built my FLAC collection, I don't want to loose it. I also have all the old PJ bootlegs in flac (the '00, '03, '05, '06 etc..) tours burned to bluray. I keep that separate from my overall music folder. I've still got quite a big mp3 directory too, but the only thing that still uses it is my car stereo. Everything else is FLAC.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560
    Zod said:

I think I'm OCD. I have a FLAC Directory on my hard drive which I've been building for nearly 10 years. I think it's over 700 albums now. There's the local copy on the PC. I have a media box (called a popcorn hour) hooked up to my tv which has a 6tb internal hard drive, so there's a clone of the directory on there too. I have some old 2tb drives I don't use anymore, so I back it up at home from time to time, and every year or so I have a hard drive at work that I back up my music and pictures on, so I make an updated copy to that. If the house burns down the biggest hits (datawise to me) would be my digital music collection and all my pictures. Having a copy offsite at least hedges against something bad happening to the house and wiping out all those copies.

It took a long time to built my FLAC collection, I don't want to loose it. I also have all the old PJ bootlegs in flac (the '00, '03, '05, '06 etc..) tours burned to bluray. I keep that separate from my overall music folder. I've still got quite a big mp3 directory too, but the only thing that still uses it is my car stereo. Everything else is FLAC.

Address please... going to send you a lot of blank discs and a blank hardrive.
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    External hard drive
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,622
    on2legs said:

I have it on my computer and backed up to a portable drive.

Ditto for me. I also have most of it uploaded to Google Play's cloud.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • 3 separate external hard drives, iTunes, also on 2 iPods and 3 iPhones.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Just on two different computers. I don't worry much about replaceable data. Pictures are the only thing I really concern myself with.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,803
    Apple time capsule for my whole computer, and 2 external HDs for just music. I also have an Amazon cloud account but I haven't backed up there in over a ear because it takes too long. But I've got 95% of my shit there too.

It's a bit OCD, but if you've ever lost all your music, you know you never want that to happen again.
  • I have an external drive, but since the £GB crapped out I have started using 7digital and Qobuz more as they are now cheaper than hdtracks.com and they both allow re-downloading stuff which is a real nice service for back-ups.

I have an external drive, but since the £GB crapped out I have started using 7digital and Qobuz more as they are now cheaper than hdtracks.com and they both allow re-downloading stuff which is a real nice service for back-ups.

Qobuz? Are they international friendly unlike hdtracks.com?
  • demetrios said:

I have an external drive, but since the £GB crapped out I have started using 7digital and Qobuz more as they are now cheaper than hdtracks.com and they both allow re-downloading stuff which is a real nice service for back-ups.

Qobuz works for me in the UK fine - their prices vary wildly, but I find you have to shop around for the best resolution and prices for digital music anyway.
  • AceCoolAceCool Posts: 455
    I keep my files on my computer but have an external backup HD. I also have another external HD that I keep in a safe deposit box. I pull that one out and make back ups every one to three months.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,137
    I tunes and external drive..but i need a backup for sure..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    edited December 2016

demetrios said:

Qobuz works for me in the UK fine - their prices vary wildly, but I find you have to shop around for the best resolution and prices for digital music anyway.
    That's true. For me the hardest thing is which sites let's Canadian customers purchase and download from cause we are pretty much restricted on the majority of HD digital downloads.
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Jbarker said:

Zod said:

Address please... going to send you a lot of blank discs and a blank hardrive.
    Ditto that! That's a sick collection.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
    Rather than start a new thread or search the forum tomes, I'll ask here since it's related.

I have a substantial inventory of music on an earlier computer (PC) that died.
    After substantial $$, the files have been recovered to an portable Hard Drive.
    Will I be able to plug that new hard drive into my current computer (MAC) and be able to upload those files (MP3s, FLACs, Torrents, etc)
    to iTunes in order to add to iPhones & iPods ?

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    edited December 2016
    Jbarker said:

Rather than start a new thread or search the forum tomes, I'll ask here since it's related.

Will I be able to plug that new hard drive into my current computer (MAC) and be able to upload those files (MP3s, FLACs, Torrents, etc)

Your mp3s will be fine and dandy to upload. However, iTunes does not support flac so you'll need to convert those using a 3rd party app. I'm at work right now and forget the name of the one I use, but a quick search for "flac to mp3 mac" will give you some options. Looks like Bigasoft's free converter has good ratings.
    As for torrents, you'll be able to upload the .torrent file itself to you Mac HD, but iTunes will not act as a torrent client. Again, you'll need a a 3rd party torrent client to download the media files and then you can upload the media to iTunes. Transmission is a really good, lightweight client for Mac.

Jbarker said:

Your mp3s will be fine and dandy to upload. However, iTunes does not support flac so you'll need to convert those using a 3rd party app. I'm at work right now and forget the name of the one I use, but a quick search for "flac to mp3 mac" will give you some options. Looks like Bigasoft's free converter has good ratings.
    As for torrents, you'll be able to upload the .torrent file itself to you Mac HD, but iTunes will not act as a torrent client. Again, you'll need a a 3rd party torrent client to download the media files and then you can upload the media to iTunes. Transmission is a really good, lightweight client for Mac.
    https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

It's the best, Jerry! The best!
  • RS151862RS151862 Posts: 2,640
    Do not convert your FLAC's to mp3's, convert them to ALAC. That is the apple equivalent, and will maintain the same lossless quality.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

RS151862 said:

Do not convert your FLAC's to mp3's, convert them to ALAC. That is the apple equivalent, and will maintain the same lossless quality.

I second that emotion
  • KV4053 said:

RS151862 said:

I second that emotion
    I third it. I never use mp3. ALAC if I can, 320k AAC otherwise.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    RS151862 said:

And save the headaches, avoid Apple
    I thought ALAC isn't playable on an iPhone (my music source at work, Bluetoothed to a Bose)? ...or is it just not downloadable?
    Can't remember but I'm pretty sure I had trouble when I purchased an ALAC bootleg way back.

KV4053 said:

RS151862 said:

I second that emotion
    I third it. I never use mp3. ALAC if I can, 320k AAC otherwise.
    320k AAC ----> is that what ALACHD is?

That's for the help all.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited December 2016
    I use Spotify at work on my PC, which is great, but the fact that the music library in Spotify isn't actually mine, I also keep my own music library separate from Spotify, just with the music that I really want to own myself. I just keep that in a file on OneDrive, which communicates with Windows Media Player. When I'm mobile I still just use a Sony mp3 player because mp3 players are tiny, so they fit in my pocket. I just load that using the windows media player connected to my OneDrive library.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata