Options

Electoral Coupe de Etat, Yes/No?

13»

Comments

• Options
    ^^^
    The headline itself should make anyone stop reading immediately.
    .org stuff is for radlib protesters
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    Yes
    you owe us anyway Ohio. we havent forgotten 04.
    cleveland.com/opinion/index.ssf/2016/12/its_not_too_late_for_electoral.html
  • Options
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    vaggar99 said:
    No, it isn't. First of all, an article that states that Trump is "scared out of his tiny little mind" goes down several notches in credibility. Second of all, you've yet to explain why Trump legally should not be permitted as President, except by referencing the Emoluments Clause which we can't know the applicability until Election Day given legal ties between Trump and his organizations may take place before then. Finally, unless Russian interference to skew results can be quantified (as in how many votes per State should have been Clinton) as opposed to this vague "Russians hacked the election" with no comment on whether this delta would have skewed the per-State results, the Electoral College has an obligation to respect the will of its State's votes. If the scope of the manipulation is considered great enough, a re-vote should take place - again, the EC has no part in this.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    You're fighting the good fight, benjs. You're much stronger than I. I gave up weeks ago on showing that, while Trump is a pretty terrible guy, there is nothing based in fact or legality that should keep him from being sworn in.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    edited December 2016
    No
    As scary as you think trump is, your vote not counting and someone who wasn't elected becoming president is a lot scarier.
  • Options
    Yes
    it's not just me, Michael Moore says it too
    learnprogress.org/moore-predicts-stop-trump/
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

First, I have to comment on another finely written piece: "Moore thinks Trump the electors will deny Trump because he got walloped so bad in the popular vote". Come again? Second, he's Michael Moore, not Nostradamus. I'm very glad you and Michael Moore share the same hope, but hope is not a plan. Third - what does Michael Moore say that you feel you're saying too?
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    cottagesteezecottagesteeze St. Paul, MN Posts: 218
    No

^^^
    The headline itself should make anyone stop reading immediately.
    .org stuff is for radlib protesters

Ah, we have now spotted the alt-right nickname of the week for the week of December 12: radlib.
    December 5: Snowflake
    Novermber 28: SJW
    Novermber 21: Libtard
  • Options
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    vaggar99 said:

Well then. LOL. I don't know that I would ever use him to reinforce a claim.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,604
    unsung said:

vaggar99 said:

Well, he was right about the election.
    In any case, Moore is far from the only one contemplating the possibility that the electoral college will not allow Trump to become president. It is certainly an option, however unlikely oe thinks the electoral college doing that might be. We'll all just have to wait and see.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Anyone that doesn't vote as intended will be removed and replaced by the party. I'm not saying it is right, but that is my prediction.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Yes
    At first I thought it was a horrible idea...

But these cabinet picks do not seem to be made in good faith. He is handing wolves keys to the hen house. Blatantly. It doesn't seem like he is taking the position seriously, and honestly, I am becoming a bit worried.

This administration is already making GW Bush look like JFK
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

But these cabinet picks do not seem to be made in good faith. He is handing wolves keys to the hen house. Blatantly. It doesn't seem like he is taking the position seriously, and honestly, I am becoming a bit worried.

As worrisome as the cabinet picks are, more worrisome would be the already-divided public's reaction to this proposed Electoral College initiative, which would really send a message that the public has less power to choose than ever before. Keep in mind how disgusted the public was when the superdelegates in the DNC primaries took the initiative to overwhelmingly side with Clinton (which is private and unregulated, unlike the election itself). If this happens from the Electoral College, I fear serious unrest from the public. To me, the only truly safe option would be to identify Constitutional grounds for Trump's dismissal, and I don't see that happening easily.

EV
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    No
    PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

vaggar99 said:

Well, he was right about the election.
    In any case, Moore is far from the only one contemplating the possibility that the electoral college will not allow Trump to become president. It is certainly an option, however unlikely oe thinks the electoral college doing that might be. We'll all just have to wait and see.
    21 states have it as law that the delegate cannot legally go against the electorate. so that leaves a very small window. it won't happen.

although I also said Trump wouldn't even win the primary! LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    Yes
    benjs said:

MayDay10 said:

As worrisome as the cabinet picks are, more worrisome would be the already-divided public's reaction to this proposed Electoral College initiative, which would really send a message that the public has less power to choose than ever before. Keep in mind how disgusted the public was when the superdelegates in the DNC primaries took the initiative to overwhelmingly side with Clinton (which is private and unregulated, unlike the election itself). If this happens from the Electoral College, I fear serious unrest from the public. To me, the only truly safe option would be to identify Constitutional grounds for Trump's dismissal, and I don't see that happening easily.
    I am almost willing to chance that, as opposed to having an Exxon Mobil guy as Secretary of State, a Climate change/Science denier and as head of EPA (who he has sued), and a guy running Department of Energy who hates the Department of Energy (among others).
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,933
    They can do a lot of damage in four years.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,604
    edited December 2016
    MayDay10 said:

I agree. It almost seems like he is going out of his way to choose what I almost think of as caricatures of the worst possible choices for cabinet members. That SNL skit about Walter White being the head of the DEA was actually incredibly apt IMO; when I saw that I was like, "Yes!!! That is what he's doing!". The whole thing really has become beyond ridiculous, and Trump's cabinet choices seem to be either the choices of a madman, or choices that are actually being made out of sheer spite and also because he enjoys watching people squirm (since he is rotten to the core and enjoys that kind of thing). Either way, I think the electoral college has a pretty good basis for not approving his election into office because of those cuckoo-bananas cabinet choices (not to mention the unprecedented failure in terms of the popular vote, which perhaps addresses what benjs was saying and the public perception). I mean.... holy fuck, come on, you know?? Do you think maybe he's doing it to actually try and get the electoral college to reject him???? I find that hard to believe, but his behaviour almost makes me rethink that! It's crazy! :dizzy:
    And then his weirdo, smiley appearance and little chat with the media in the lobby of Trump Tower with Kanye West I saw on the new this morning, as Kanye stood next to him all stony-faced and crazy-looking, after spending weeks in a psychiatric hospital that was directly preceded by a nutzo declaration about supporting Trump .... That was a really bizarre little news moment.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ^^^
    The electoral college doesn't exist in the politics that have crowned him President.
  • Options
    Yes
    so why have electors? who pays for these people to go to their respective state capitols to rubber stamp the election? in other words, can't we still have the electoral college system without electors?
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

so why have electors? who pays for these people to go to their respective state capitols to rubber stamp the election? in other words, can't we still have the electoral college system without electors?

Honest question: how do you propose that happens? What elements of the EC should be conserved, which should be modified, and which should be removed? Without those details in place for an alternative, I just don't see it being considered, and certainly not before later today when the Electors officially vote.

EV
  • Options
    Yes
    ^^^might require an amendment. not sure, maybe the Constitution is written vaguely enough to where a simple bill from Congress could fix it. So basically, keep everything the same except eliminate the electors. Sounds simple enough?

My main point is, if electors are required by law to vote a certain way, what is their purpose?
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

^^^might require an amendment. not sure, maybe the Constitution is written vaguely enough to where a simple bill from Congress could fix it. So basically, keep everything the same except eliminate the electors. Sounds simple enough?

My main point is, if electors are required by law to vote a certain way, what is their purpose?

Well, that law you're speaking about (in some states, not all) mandates electors to vote for the candidate chosen by the majority of their state. If you are asking to overrule that decision made by popular vote, it is hardly any different than the much-hated superdelegate system admission that officials should have the final word, populace be damned. And, by the way, that was the official decision which was at least largely responsible for Trump being pinned against Clinton instead of Sanders.

Next, you've literally outlined nothing in your changes to the EC that make the system feasible without electors. What if I told you I was going to make French fries, just that I was going to leave potatoes out of the equation? Sounds simple enough?

EV
  • Options
    Yes
    benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

Well, that law you're speaking about (in some states, not all) mandates electors to vote for the candidate chosen by the majority of their state. If you are asking to overrule that decision made by popular vote, it is hardly any different than the much-hated superdelegate system admission that officials should have the final word, populace be damned. And, by the way, that was the official decision which was at least largely responsible for Trump being pinned against Clinton instead of Sanders.

Next, you've literally outlined nothing in your changes to the EC that make the system feasible without electors. What if I told you I was going to make French fries, just that I was going to leave potatoes out of the equation? Sounds simple enough?
    it's been over 20 years since i took american history in high school, but i did have a good teacher and it was an AP class. as i remember, one reason for the electoral college was to provide a sort of buffer in the election process. and that's why there is a six week delay between the general election and the electoral college vote. again, what is the point of an elector if they are required to vote a certain way no matter what? what if we found out T. was a serial killer? what to do then?
  • Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/19/thousands-send-letters-death-threats-pressure-electoral-college/

Thousands send letters, death threats, to pressure Electoral College to avert outcome of
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:

benjs said:

vaggar99 said:

it's been over 20 years since i took american history in high school, but i did have a good teacher and it was an AP class. as i remember, one reason for the electoral college was to provide a sort of buffer in the election process. and that's why there is a six week delay between the general election and the electoral college vote. again, what is the point of an elector if they are required to vote a certain way no matter what? what if we found out T. was a serial killer? what to do then?
    The "buffer" may be either incidental or a way of selling the public on the value of the Electoral College at its initial conception, but the Electoral College was much more a way to sell the isolated and independently governed States on a unified government which still allowed them to retain some state-level authority. The Electoral College is a major way that differentiates America the Federal Republic from the various democracies globally. I also feel that you owe your twenty-years-past-high-school-age mind another look at the origins/history/changes surrounding the American election process. You're asking what the point of an elector is, but neglecting its purpose: to ensure that no State's voice was given too little or much credence in federal affairs. You're also proposing a change of heart based on grave legal offences such as mass murder, of which Trump has not been proven guilty of any.

EV