Clown Hysteria

I was watching the news last night and witnessed groups of people almost stampeding each other in fear of a clown. Whole police departments are organizing task forces to hunt down dumb 19 year olds playing a prank.

Is this what happens to a society post-Pokemon Go?

Comments

• JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Jason P said:

I was watching the news last night and witnessed groups of people almost stampeding each other in fear of a clown. Whole police departments are organizing task forces to hunt down dumb 19 year olds playing a prank.

your posts amaze me sometimes..
    awhile back i remember you talking
    about the politics of fraggle rock
    incidently i had a chuckle to myself
    and thought i was the only one who
    liked watching that show..
    anyhow rock on sorry to highjack your
    thread..
    ps new generation is doomed
  • GillycwGillycw Posts: 524
    They are in Australia now too. It's creeping a lot of people out!
    Nobody wants to see a clown at night, especially one holding an axe
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,893
    thought this was gonna be a Trump thread....
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    Jason P said:

in the Philadelphia area there have been a bunch of threats against schools on social media using clowns. most have been by like 12 and 13 year olds but still. kind of creepy.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    Clown mocking clowns...I like it!

this whole hysteria is wild...what has this world come to

• chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    obviously not enough clowns have been jacked upside the head
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    Wobbie said:

thought this was gonna be a Trump thread....

funny
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'll say this.

I grew up watching (and loving) Bozo.

Ronald McDonald? Sure! Positive clown reinforcement.

Then, my downfall.

IT.

Fucking Pennywise did me in.

To the topic itself, idiots will be idiots, no matter the get-up. I can only hope Darwinism plays even a small part.
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,673
    There was a threat against all the schools in London Ontario yesterday from the Clowns. Sent via Instagram (chicken shits) They said they were going to kidnap all the children and kill all the teachers in the schools...except from 1 school for some reason
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    The clown crap has hit here too, but has morphed into actual threats at my kids school, of supposed threats to kill either 10 teachers or 10 students, the school insists it's not a credible threat,but, I'm still worried sigh....there have been several sightings of idiots dressing like clowns running around, and found out last night that some high school kids are the ones making the snapchat videos.
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    When this rumor got to the elementary school, several of the little ones got off the school bus crying and scared to go to school, that's when it ceased being funny
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani Posts: 7,790
    edited October 2016
    Hahaha. I got an email from all my kids schools over this. They were worried people would hold their kids out of school over the clown threats referenced in the article.

I also find it insensitive that the representative from BLM stated clown lives are less important than Black lives. What about Black clowns?
    Post edited by Amongst the Ani on
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Although these clowns should be shot for the betterment of society.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • MalrothMalroth Posts: 2,515
    American Horror Story clown
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Malroth said:

American Horror Story clown

That one terrified me.

But then, he turned into a sympathetic clown.

Halloween should be interesting this year!
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The only clown that matters.....
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited October 2016
    This seems like a sign of the idiotic times to me.
    I was under the impression that most people are really really busy these days. So why does it seem like they are so bored they need to get hysterical en masse about clowns just to keep life interesting? Perhaps folks need to spend more time trying to have real, fulfilling fun rather than just being busy bored people. Although I will at least give all the clowns credit. I can appreciate that side of equation more, lol.
    And yes Jason P, you nailed it! This is totally a logical progression beyond Pokemon Go!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Waiting for someone to shoot one of these guys who are lurking around at night. Conceal and carry very much a thing here in Missouri. Only a matter of time before I read it on the front page of the Tribune.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237

Although these clowns should be shot for the betterment of society.

Ugh. I cannot stand these guys. It's not music.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • We got an email from school as well. This was the day after the 11 yr old tried to tell us this was real. (Foolish kids!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    Clowns scare the hell out of me. Always have. Creepier than just about anything I can think of. I would run too.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I think the evil killer clown is a really solid go-to for Halloween (as someone who happens to own a real clown costume for no good reason). Just add a black hooded cloak and a machete to any clown outfit, make the makeup ghoulie and bloody or zombie-like, and you will be the queen (or king) of Halloween nightmares for half the people at the party. Perfect. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    clowns don't scare me one bit..
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427

Waiting for someone to shoot one of these guys who are lurking around at night. Conceal and carry very much a thing here in Missouri. Only a matter of time before I read it on the front page of the Tribune.

The mayor of one of the nearby towns issued the following notice and posted it all over the town:
    "Do not dress like a clown. It is just plain stupid to do this. If someone sees you dressed like this they have the right to defend themselves. It is not normal for clowns to be running around like idiots all year long. I will stand behind anyone who feels they need to protect themselves from these so-called clowns. So, to sum it all up, if you run around in a clown suit, you should probably expect for citizens to beat you (for their own protection), then get arrested by police."
    If someone sees you dressed as a clown they have a right to defend themselves??? So the mayor told people they can assault clowns for no reason? Wtf?
  • PJ_Soul said:

If someone sees you dressed as a clown they have a right to defend themselves??? So the mayor told people they can assault clowns for no reason? Wtf?

Kinda with the mayor on this. It isn't normal for there to just be clowns out wandering around in the woods waiting to scare the bugeezees outta folks. He wasn't saying so much that it was ok, as he was warning the idiots not to be surprised, should it happen.
    And yes, the situation that these clowns are putting people in, is one that instigates a fight or flight reaction; so self defense definitely applies.