Options

Hurricane Matthew

this is my first, let the party begin LOL !
http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom/storms/storm3_track.html

Godfather.

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Keep safe, all of you in that area (and I know we have a few here).
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    stay stafe!!! stock up on as much alcohol as possible to ride that bad boy out
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122

Godfather.

GF, you sometimes joke a lot but let me tell you this HURRICANE ain't no joke. I've been through canes from Jamaica....FL, SC, NC, VA and Maryland. First this one is cat 4 and you are north of me in Jupiter and it's going to be closer to you than me in Palm Beach. My major problem is that I'm two miles from the ocean luckily I'll be working tomorrow night. Work is is west of here 15 miles......I hope you are further west than near the ocean. Btw this is the highest category hurricane that I'm going to live through. I hope you and your family are prepared and ready for power outages, food and water for up to four days.

Today such a beautiful day I even took a short bicycle ride over the bridge to the island (all bridges from Miami to Fort Pierce will be closed at 8pm tonight) to see the ocean. Pristine at the moment but that will certainly change in 24 hrs. For a moment I thought it was 1976 with ALL the gas lines, how chaotic and short tempered people became when stations ran out of gas. One of my friend called for help in preparing....anything that can be tossed was removed (many people are killed from flying projectiles). Her shutters I oiled and closed then locked them for her, she even gave a lime from her lime tree. She maybe in the dark but her windows and doors will be fine.

For all my friends on the east coast rr be prepared but he already knows the deal.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,309
    I'm down here at Disney leaving tomorrow 12 noon flight back to NY , nice and hot & sunny today ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

I'm down here at Disney leaving tomorrow 12 noon flight back to NY , nice and hot & sunny today ..

Get out of Florida while you can....and you are right it is a gorgeous day. I'm glad I took that ride to see my city before it gets tossed all around.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

Godfather.

Hopefully your last!
    I mean that in the nicest way possible.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    g under p said:

Get out of Florida while you can....and you are right it is a gorgeous day. I'm glad I took that ride to see my city before it gets tossed all around.

Peace

Yeah my flight is tomorrow noon just called and it's still going off on time ...
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    You wouldn't be partying if this thing was hitting you straight on. These storms are no joke.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    My wife's fam is from Jupiter. They're spread out now some in west palm some in vero, some in Orlando. This looks very dangerous- be safe everyone.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    Wish all well that are in the path of this storm, as I am as well. They're saying it's supposed to be about 35-40 miles off the coast here when it passes by southern Palm Beach County. Shutter's are up, have water and food, full tank of gas. Now the waiting, until the power goes off tomorrow. Hope it doesn't stay off to long. But, I do have three generators on the patio, so, I should be good to go to keep the fridge cold, and run some fans, lights, etc.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Stay safe...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    g under p said:

Godfather.

GF, you sometimes joke a lot but let me tell you this HURRICANE ain't no joke. I've been through canes from Jamaica....FL, SC, NC, VA and Maryland. First this one is cat 4 and you are north of me in Jupiter and it's going to be closer to you than me in Palm Beach. My major problem is that I'm two miles from the ocean luckily I'll be working tomorrow night. Work is is west of here 15 miles......I hope you are further west than near the ocean. Btw this is the highest category hurricane that I'm going to live through. I hope you and your family are prepared and ready for power outages, food and water for up to four days.

Today such a beautiful day I even took a short bicycle ride over the bridge to the island (all bridges from Miami to Fort Pierce will be closed at 8pm tonight) to see the ocean. Pristine at the moment but that will certainly change in 24 hrs. For a moment I thought it was 1976 with ALL the gas lines, how chaotic and short tempered people became when stations ran out of gas. One of my friend called for help in preparing....anything that can be tossed was removed (many people are killed from flying projectiles). Her shutters I oiled and closed then locked them for her, she even gave a lime from her lime tree. She maybe in the dark but her windows and doors will be fine.

For all my friends on the east coast rr be prepared but he already knows the deal.

Peace

Wow you've been through a few and so many different locations.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    be safe, everyone
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    Be safe everyone! Superstorm kicked out New Jersey asses! I hope Matthew makes a hard right and misses all of you. And for the record, I was drunk as a skunk during sandy!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    Be safe !
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Good thoughts going out for our friend on the eastern seaboard. Hang in there everyone and be safe!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Im on my phone at work and this really getting real now. Just saw another update and the cane is being pushed further west. Which means its siting in on us here in the Palm Beaches and Jupiter. First cane im ever nervous about my proximity to the ocean and Matthew being cat 4. Worst i thought i would be working tonight but we will be closed, so it looks like i might be riding this one out i think. Oh boy later I hope.

Peace

• Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    I really wish there was a better way to predict the tracks of these things. I've spent $600 in hotel rooms for the wife and kids. Originally, it was thought charleston was going to get hit around Friday night/Saturday morning. Now, we aren't expected to get hit until sunday morning close to mid day. That 2 night's I didn't need. So frustrating. Thankfully, the hotels aren't price gauging.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Be safe everyone , in headed to airport now catching flight home I hate canes ever since Sandy destroyed half of my house these storms scare the hell out of me ...
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,209
    scary stuff. be safe.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited October 2016

I really wish there was a better way to predict the tracks of these things. I've spent $600 in hotel rooms for the wife and kids. Originally, it was thought charleston was going to get hit around Friday night/Saturday morning. Now, we aren't expected to get hit until sunday morning close to mid day. That 2 night's I didn't need. So frustrating. Thankfully, the hotels aren't price gauging.

My mom was very briefly on Marketplace on NPR yesterday talking about the decisions to evacuate and the costs associated with it. It is certainly very costly, but better safe than sorry.

Best of luck. Stay safe.
  • Options
    Hey everybody all prepared and chilling till it starts around 6pm to 6am with the worst winds from 12-3 pm. We will lose power for possibly up to two weeks but it's the huge amount of water Matthew is going to bring. Flooding to me is more of an issue than the high winds.....there's not much one can do to keep the surge of water back. Just off shore here in Lake Worth there's a couple of people kite surfing which is just crazy. It's high tide with a storm surge of at least 6ft or more so flooding is going to happen for sure. The outer bands are already here with gusts now up to 30 mph.

Peace

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    g, you and our other friends in the (potential?) paths are in my best thoughts.

DF, if the hotel is non-refundable and will be unused, maybe there's a way to pass it on to someone else who needs it? Shame for it to go to waste.
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

You wouldn't be partying if this thing was hitting you straight on. These storms are no joke.

Nope...I know I made light in my post above but im on mandatory overtime this weekend since I work in insurance...we have been prepping the past few days for these storms and from past experiences I get to see the financial damage these storms do to people and the destruction they cause. I hope everyone listens to the mandatory evacuation and gets out as the eye of the storm is expected to hit West Palm Beach

stay safe everyone!

• Options
    Be safe everyone.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

0% chance of Hurricane in Minnesota this week. Not sure that's what you were looking for though....
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Governor Scott is asking people to stay off the beaches and out of the ocean. As he's asking this they're people on the beaches taking pictures, videos and STILL kite surfing. People can be so clueless some have their children with them....I've been through several of these hurricanes but this one is going to be by far the worst. Well I'm getting hungry time to whip up some food.

Peace

• Options
    Yeah I would heed his advice I'll never ever take these kinds of storms lightly again , I made that mistake for Sandy
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,752
    Hang if the G, DF, everybody out there. Keep us posted and be safe!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,395
    Evacuated from my college the other day, classes cancelled at least the rest of the week. Hopefully the campus holds up! Stay safe everyone
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016