Options

How, if at all, has this year's US presidential election affected your...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,669
    JWPearl said:

Im sick of hearing about the election on the news, why cant the election just go on for like a month, vote and be done with it ? instead we have to know whos sick, who made a sexist remark, oh and now they are questionable failures, sick of seeing the news captions....
    im so glad i dont vote and only support Gods kingdom of ruler ship which will happen as Jesus said my kingdom is no part of this world and if it were he would not have been delivered up (John 18;36) But eventually his kingdom with be with the new world and will crush all other kingdoms and it will be a war with the only winner being God and Jesus because the power is from them that exists anywhere in the universe.. (Daniel 2;44,45) (2 Corinthians 4;7)Roman 1;18-(20)-23

So in Jehovah Witness world, who makes the rules and who enforces them?
  • Options
    unsung said:

It convinced me to no longer vote.

The system is beyond repair, only a complete and total destruction will bring about change. Thankfully these two give change the best opportunity for that to happen.

Unless somehow Ron Paul got 50% of the vote in 2012. Then you'd declare some sort of revolution. Point being, we can vote in whomever we want, and the system exists to do so.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Had Ron Paul received 50% of the vote in 2012 we wouldn't be in this shit situation that we are.

But like heroin too many people can't control their own lives and are hooked on government.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    unsung said:

Had Ron Paul received 50% of the vote in 2012 we wouldn't be in this shit situation that we are.

But like heroin too many people can't control their own lives and are hooked on government.

A tasty metaphor, unsung, but you could also look at it like "too many people can't live their lives in a sensible manner so government is necessary to put some boundaries on their reckless behavior."

Your "no government" idealism is probably the better choice except (at least in this country) left to their own devices, the general populous will just make clusterfuck out over everything and they need government to keep themselves from spinning into chaos.

And believe me, I'm all for idealism.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Does an individual own themselves or not?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Idealism is nice and all, but is trumped by realism. Or, to me at least, should be...and is, for me.

Just because boundaries are put in place (we're talking laws?), it doesn't mean they'll be adhered to. They don't necessarily curb the behaviors that bring about those guidelines in the first place.

There's a great passage from Ishmael that illustrates this far better than I.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

Does an individual own themselves or not?

Only insofar as they can defend themselves from ownership by another.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Are you advocating the assault? Or does that person own themselves?
  • Options
    unsung said:

The philosophical debate can be interesting, but I've said it in here before, but when Ron Paul and the others start making decisions about laws, they end up wanting it as much as anyone else, just individualized to meet their needs and values.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:

I don't understand the question.

What I meant is that a person is not only as free as they wish to be, they are bound by the amount of freedom that outside forces allow them to have.
    A person has ownership of themselves but that ownership can be usurped by individuals, corporations/groups, and governments.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    This has nothing to do with Ron Paul.

Does a person have the authority to decide how their own life is run or not?
  • Options
    unsung said:

But you said the system is broken. Sounds like if you can get the person you want in there, that the system would function?
  • Options

unsung said:

But you said the system is broken. Sounds like if you can get the person you want in there, that the system would function?
    It wouldn't. He could only do so much, but there are many things he could have done that would have made the world a better place. Bringing all of our troops home was a start. Ending the drug war another.
  • Options
    unsung said:

unsung said:

It wouldn't. He could only do so much, but there are many things he could have done that would have made the world a better place. Bringing all of our troops home was a start. Ending the drug war another.
    How would it still be broken in the Ron Paul is prez situation?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,629
    edited October 2016

JWPearl said:

Im sick of hearing about the election on the news, why cant the election just go on for like a month, vote and be done with it ? instead we have to know whos sick, who made a sexist remark, oh and now they are questionable failures, sick of seeing the news captions....
    im so glad i dont vote and only support Gods kingdom of ruler ship which will happen as Jesus said my kingdom is no part of this world and if it were he would not have been delivered up (John 18;36) But eventually his kingdom with be with the new world and will crush all other kingdoms and it will be a war with the only winner being God and Jesus because the power is from them that exists anywhere in the universe.. (Daniel 2;44,45) (2 Corinthians 4;7)Roman 1;18-(20)-23

So in Jehovah Witness world, who makes the rules and who enforces them?
    JWPearl, don't you live in Australia? Just wondering how you don't vote, since people are legally obligated to in Australia because of compulsory voting laws. Do you have some kind of religious exemption? Do you know what else exempts people from voting there? Curious, just because I think I support compulsory voting. I understand the pitfalls too, but at the end of the day, the reasons to do it beat out the reasons not to IMO.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

unsung said:

unsung said:

How would it still be broken in the Ron Paul is prez situation?
    Because a corrupt Congress exists. A Constitutional President can't legislate. He can however decide where assets are deployed.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,133
    To answer the posed question:

I now hate both parties about equally. And I have started disliking more of my co-workers and casual friends due to Facebook and lunchroom conversations.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

To answer the posed question:

I now hate both parties about equally. And I have started disliking more of my co-workers and casual friends due to Facebook and lunchroom conversations.

Hang out with us here, Cincy. We never talk about any of that crap. :wink:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited October 2016
    this election cycle showed me the worst of people on both sides not just in the political process but as the average person...people are fed up with the system but aren't taking opposing views with an open mind, just anger

we need a legitimate 3rd party
    Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    pjalive21 said:

this election cycle showed me the worst of people on both sides not just in the political process but as the average person...people are fed up with the system but aren't taking opposing views with an open mind, just anger

Yes!

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562
    pjalive21 said:

Yes to all of this.