20 Years ago!!!! Who else was there?

My first two PJ shows as a young 18 year old. Hell of a weekend.
Make it a vault please. Either night or both..

09/28/96 - Downing Stadium (Randall's Island): New York, NY [115m]
attendance: 30,000
support act: Ben Harper, The Fastbacks
set: Last Exit, Hail Hail, Animal, Spin the Black Circle, Red Mosquito, In My Tree, Lukin, Not for You, Better Man/(Save it for Later), Corduroy, Jeremy, Dissident, State of Love and Trust, Black, Habit, Rearviewmirror, Alive, Blood/(Noise of Carpet)
enc 1: Who You Are, Even Flow, Daughter/I Believe in Miracles/WMA, Whipping, Leaving Here, Indifference
notes: Despite the torrential downpour, Blues Traveler's John Popper jams with Mike during 'Even Flow.' (Ed gives John a big hug and a handshake at the end.) 'Whipping' is paused very briefly in the middle because someone seems to be hurt or fighting. Ed says, "Is that all?" and with a quick "1, 2, 3, 4," the song resumes right where they left off. Prior to 'Indifference," Ed comments on how it seems to him from letters the band gets, the things they read and people they've met, that lots of people are meeting each other through PJ's music. He adds, "To me, that's the best part of this whole thing and I'm honored to be a part of it." (so true ... and very cool to have it acknowledged)
And so you see, I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.

Comments

• wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    I was there. Really wish they would do one of these Randall shows as a vault.
    NYPJ
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,467
    I was there all right. Got there at noon. We sat in rows until about 6pm by time of entry...and then the rain came.

I was right under the overhang and had a steady waterfall thruout the show right on my head.
    This was the first and only time I ever had so many people around me, my arms were either up, or down, and sometimes you couldnt switch it was so tight. When corduroy came on the place exploded.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    It was absolutely bonkers.
    I was soaked and covered in mud from knees down.
    I guess not many were there back then.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    wall232 said:

This would make an amazing vault release. Did anyone ever find a good recording of this show?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:

wall232 said:

This would make an amazing vault release. Did anyone ever find a good recording of this show?
    Make it happen 10c!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    mcgruff10 said:

wall232 said:

I have decent one from night 2. Never found one for night 1
    NYPJ
    I have night 1, but its pretty bad quality.
  • seanwonseanwon Posts: 444
    Night 2 was my first show. I believe it was the longest show they had played at that point.
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
    2024: 9/3 MSG 1, 9/4 MSG 2 , 9/15 Fenway 1, 9/17 Fenway 2
    RS65573 said:

I have night 1, but its pretty bad quality.

Anybody wants it PM me ill send u a link.
  • It was absolutely bonkers.
    I was soaked and covered in mud from knees down.

My wife was there with my son. They came home soaked and cold. I then came with her to Oakland (at her request) when PJ opened for the Stones. Sill going to shows! Great music, great fans!
    Hold On
  • This was my first PJ show as well. Lets see…I was two years out of high school. It was real hard to see them in the beginning because I was only 14. And then the 93-95 years was impossible to get tickets. I tried to get a ticket for this show…Which wasn't sold through ticket master. But a good friend knew a girl that had an extra ticket and he told her that I would be the perfect person to take since I was such a huge fan.

So by this time I had been in a fair number of pits, but at much much smaller places. I got up real close to the stage to see the boys come out. That was a moment…I mean I had a full on overwhelming experience. The band as a whole was in my heart always, but Ed got me through some things that if I think about a little longer I may well up. I mean, Ed was my poppa. still is in a lot of ways. And I never thought I would ever get to see him live. So this was like getting to see fucking Santa Claus. I love that moment of my life.

That pit was one of the gnarliest things Ive ever been in. Not so much for punches being thrown, but the amount of people all moving to once was something I had never felt before. again…overwhelming.

About half way through I retreated to the back and found my new friend that took me. After the show we ended up walking around a ruff part of the city and someone through a cinder block from a roof into the car that we walked passed and we took off running into a subway.

Ive seen PJ a bunch since then…but that was one hell of a day.
  • oh…and my second show was 9/11/98. id love to see this 96 show get a bootleg, but it is a CRIME that 9/11/98 isn't one already. best.show.ever.
    DW183354 said:

That pit was one of the gnarliest things Ive ever been in. Not so much for punches being thrown, but the amount of people all moving to once was something I had never felt before. again…overwhelming.

About half way through I retreated to the back and found my new friend that took me. After the show we ended up walking around a ruff part of the city and someone through a cinder block from a roof into the car that we walked passed and we took off running into a subway.

Ive seen PJ a bunch since then…but that was one hell of a day.

I remember starting the trek to the front of the pit during SOLAT. By the time Black was played I was about 1/4 of the way to the front but couldnt proceed any further. Just a mass of wet humanity. It was an absolute wall.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,707
    I was there. Have the fancy 10 club ticket as a nice souvenir.
    Think I just got out of the traffic and off the island yesterday.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    Poncier said:

I was there. Have the fancy 10 club ticket as a nice souvenir.
    Think I just got out of the traffic and off the island yesterday.

night 2 traffic was terrible!!!! I think I got home around 1 in the morning then had an 8:30 class the next morning. damn that was worth it!

rhetorical question, how the hell does 20 years go so fast?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • night 1 was crazy. john popper was awesome. getting out of the parking lot after sucked
  • BubbaBubba Posts: 631
    I was there as well....just wish I was smart enough to keep my old ticket stub..ugh...but what a weekend. First 2 PJ shows and definitely will never forget them. Agree, this weekend should absolutely be a Vault release if they have a good recording of the shows.
  • stevedsteved Posts: 657
    I was there.. Both shows were Amazing!! Up by the rail both nights bouncing around.. I remember night one Mike had this sick solo during Corduroy with his Wah pedal... It was great energy.. Met a lot of old college friends there I hadn't seen in a few years.. Great memories!!!
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• I was there. I remember the band came out to Last Exit and Eddie just started smashing the mic stand into the stage before he started singing. The energy in that pit was insane, and no matter how great they are today, it'll never be as good as it was then - there was a feeling of an entire generation standing behind them - that what they were doing was really important artistically, but generationally, as well. It's kind of hard to explain the feeling at those early shows unless you were there, but it was totally epic in every way. We were in high school, and on the way home, my buddy got so drunk that he barfed out of the front seat car window, and it went right back into the car through the back right window and splattered all over our other buddy's face. We had to pull over at some shady gas station with bullet proof glass and hose the inside of the car down.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Da kids first 2 shows Randall's night 2 still in top 5 shows seen live
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
    24)MSG I,II
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 481
    Was there both nights.... first shows... still have the ticket stubs... Was there with my then girlfriend - now wife of 18 years!

Don't remember much about the shows... just remember one of the nights being stuck in the parking lot after the show longer than the show itself lasted... Remember getting to the car being so excited at what I had just witnessed and then 3 hours later still sitting there in the car pissed as hell...
  • I was there at the ripe age of 16. Went completely crazy in the pit and crowd surfed over the rail about a dozen times. Was already a fan but this was still to this day the best experience at a concert I've had. A few phish festivals are close but this was a sober deal and made it all the more intense.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Does anyone have a good recording of night 2. Heard it on XM and really would like to have it.
    Philly 10/21/13 - MSG 5/1/16 - Fenway 8/5/16 - TOTD 11/4/16
  • JP218404JP218404 Posts: 1,407
    great shows!
    Marquee 91
    Wetlands 91
    CBGB 91
    Roseland 91
    and many, many more