Options

TEN or NO CODE?

124»

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,428
    I would've liked to have seen this poll, just after No Code was released. What would the results have been then?

Ten in a landslide?
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,459
    cutz said:

I would've liked to have seen this poll, just after No Code was released. What would the results have been then?

Ten in a landslide?

I think it is safe to say your assumptions are correct. No way in hell I vote No Code back then but as the song goes:

If I had know then what I know now................
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Pearl jam - Ten
    The weirdness of No Code immediately grabbed me. I remember MTV News did a central park listener reaction segment and nobody liked it. :lol: i loved it
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Pearl jam - Ten
    I don't remember listening to No Code for the first time and thinking it was particularly different or weird. I certainly do remember listening to Vitalogy for the first time, hearing Bugs and thinking that was weird. 22 years later I still do. :lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Pearl jam - Ten
    wall232 said:

jeffbr said:

Well, I'm a little older - was mid-30's when No Code was released. When it came out it caused me to take a PJ break. There was so much great local music happening in the clubs around Seattle, and I thought PJ had gone off the rails a little bit. Incohesive, and incoherent. I obviously came around, but No Code was definitely a grower for me (absolutely LOVE it now, btw). Ten hooked me the first time I heard it.

This is how I felt about No Code when it first came out. I didn't start appreciating it, and the albums that followed, until I started hearing the boots. The songs on the album were to slow for my taste at that time, hearing them on the boots is what brought me back.
    That's what did it for me. Hearing the songs live pulled me in, and I went back to the album to give it another try. I'm like that with a lot of studio albums, though. I much prefer live music
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Pearl Jam - No Code

The weirdness of No Code immediately grabbed me. I remember MTV News did a central park listener reaction segment and nobody liked it. :lol: i loved it

Is No Code even weird? I fell in love with it the second I heard it, but I never thought it was a weird album. It's nowhere near as weird as Vitalogy, and that album was a mega hit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Pearl jam - Ten
    cutz said:

Ten in a landslide?

Probably. I liked No Code from day 1. But it took a long, long time before I really appreciated how great and important it is. I voted for Ten, but had to think about it. In the 1990s, I'd have said "I like No Code, but this is a no-brainer."
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,931
    Pearl jam - Ten
    Ten beats everything.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Pearl jam - Ten
    Spags said:

Ten beats everything.

Yep.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Pearl Jam - No Code

I'd like to see that. If anyone finds a link, please post. Couldn't find it on YouTube
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Pearl jam - Ten
    I cant find it either. I remember one guy remarking that Eddie sounded like a barking dog on Lukin
  • Options

I cant find it either. I remember one guy remarking that Eddie sounded like a barking dog on Lukin

haha. Ive seen that. On some compilation DVD with a bunch of things that had been shown on TV between 1991-2006.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    50/50
    124 for Ten
    124 for No Code

• Options
    crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 80
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Well, Ten is the one that can instantly take me back to my college days, so it's tough not to vote for that one. No Code is not one that I liked immediately, but over time it has been one that I go back to more frequently than the ones that I loved (and subsequently got a little tired of) in my younger days. Plus, having been in attendance at Moline, it now brings a whole new context into the mix (my 5th PJ show, tickets that I bought for myself as a b-day present, taking my sister to her first PJ show). I voted No Code, but I could probably change that vote 20 times if I thought about it for another 20 minutes.
  • Options
    wg said:

50/50
    124 for Ten
    124 for No Code

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"