Options

TEN or NO CODE?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Easy choice for me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    NanouNanou Posts: 191
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    No Code is their most creative album.
  • Options
    jpk97uwjpk97uw Lindenhurst, IL Posts: 64
    Pearl jam - Ten
    Exactly 50-50 right now with 194 votes in. Wow! How cool is that!? Would imagine similar results if there was a poll pitting any of the first 5 albums against one another. Just incredible really.
  • Options
    Pearl jam - Ten
    bought both of them on first day. Ten is awesome, but No Code was on another level.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Pearl jam - Ten

bought both of them on first day. Ten is awesome, but No Code was on another level.

which exactly contradicts my vote!!
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    edited August 2016
    Pearl jam - Ten
    Keep in mind that this isn't a poll asking which album you listen to more.

I listen to No Code way more, but the brilliance in songwriting on Ten is way better.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    Pearl jam - Ten
    I think I could change my vote daily.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    jp307677jp307677 Boston Posts: 415
    Pearl Jam - No Code

I listen to No Code way more, but the brilliance in songwriting on Ten is way better.

Not sure I agree with that. Great, great songwriting and brilliant lyrics on No Code. Eddie is truly underrated as a songwriter.
    Who You Are..."can't defend fucked up man"
    Red Mosquito..."If I had known then what I know now"

Just a few great lines, and...

Present Tense...damn, the entire song is just genius. It's life. This may be in my opinion, just may be their best song
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Pearl Jam - No Code

But the reason I listen to No Code more is because I like it better. :smile:
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Pearl jam - Ten
    If you were between 13 and 16 years old in 1991,Ten is the clear winner.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    joseph33 said:

I was 15 when Ten came out, and I think No Code is the clear winner. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    PJ_Soul said:

joseph33 said:

Exactly. Me too.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    edited August 2016
    Pearl jam - Ten
    Well, I'm a little older - was mid-30's when No Code was released. When it came out it caused me to take a PJ break. There was so much great local music happening in the clubs around Seattle, and I thought PJ had gone off the rails a little bit. Incohesive, and incoherent. I obviously came around, but No Code was definitely a grower for me (absolutely LOVE it now, btw). Ten hooked me the first time I heard it.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    jeffbr said:

Well, I'm a little older - was mid-30's when No Code was released. When it came out it caused me to take a PJ break. There was so much great local music happening in the clubs around Seattle, and I thought PJ had gone off the rails a little bit. Incohesive, and incoherent. I obviously came around, but No Code was definitely a grower for me (absolutely LOVE it now, btw). Ten hooked me the first time I heard it.

I guess I have seen others say this (well, not that No Code seemed incoherent - that's a new one!). To each their own. I fell in love with No Code on first listen, just like I did with Ten 5 years earlier, but I think No Code is much more musically "advanced" for PJ, more creative, and that really appealed to me the second I heard it.
  • Options
    Crazy (cool) it's so close.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102
    Pearl jam - Ten
    jp307677 said:

Not sure I agree with that. Great, great songwriting and brilliant lyrics on No Code. Eddie is truly underrated as a songwriter.

Present Tense...damn, the entire song is just genius. It's life. This may be in my opinion, just may be their best song
    To each their own. I agree that No Code is a greatly written album too.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • Options
    fgdanzifgdanzi Posts: 136
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Ten started it all and No Code made it family!
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Pearl jam - Ten
    PJ_Soul said:

jeffbr said:

I guess I have seen others say this (well, not that No Code seemed incoherent - that's a new one!). To each their own. I fell in love with No Code on first listen, just like I did with Ten 5 years earlier, but I think No Code is much more musically "advanced" for PJ, more creative, and that really appealed to me the second I heard it.
    Like I said, I get it now, but I didn't get it coming from Pearl Jam at the time. I'm all over the place with my musical taste, but when I listened to PJ back then I listened for straight forward, rocking energy. No Code didn't deliver that. The band stepped outside of their normal process for writing, there was infighting, there was risk that the band wouldn't even stay together, the album didn't chart well, etc... So while it looks like it clicked with you first listen, it definitely wasn't universally accepted, nor universally critically acclaimed, and I'm guessing was their worst charting album up to that point. I'm glad they took the risk because it has let to a lot of creative diversity with their music, but again, at the time I thought it was a big let down. A good lesson that first impressions aren't always lasting impressions, at least with me.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Pearl jam - Ten
    by a nautical mile.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Pearl jam - Ten
    I put Ten in a category of "no other album, before or since, has ever sounded anything like it". it's less like a record and more like an experience.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Love both but no code was spiritually connecting to me in my life when I thought music couldn't possibly be so....spoke to me in a dark place, and brought me through. Ten is great but missed the take off in '92...was listening to a lot of bob marley at the time...heard porch then vs came out...so been on the ride ever since. Only dug ten when the re issue came out a few years ago....Brendan got it spot on...especially through earphones...loud!!
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Wow 50 / 50.
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Ten got my heads attention

No Code got my souls attention
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Pearl Jam - No Code

PJ_Soul said:

joseph33 said:

Exactly. Me too.
    While we're at it... 14 when Ten was released here.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Ten is a truly fantastic record but I think No Code is a more rewarding listen. Ten is full of classic 'rock' songs - some of the very best songs of my lifetime - whereas you kinda have to work at No Code a little to really get it.

I love the fact that (at the time of this post) it's split 50/50 with 111 votes each!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Pearl jam - Ten
    jeffbr said:

This is how I felt about No Code when it first came out. I didn't start appreciating it, and the albums that followed, until I started hearing the boots. The songs on the album were to slow for my taste at that time, hearing them on the boots is what brought me back.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    edited August 2016
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    jp307677 said:

This ^^^^^^

No Code was just on another level lyrically and musically and Present Tense may be one of his best written songs

Post edited by pjalive21 on
  • Options
    emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Pearl jam - Ten
    There is no doubt for me at all.
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2016
    Pearl jam - Ten
    Ten got me into PJ. Vitalogy got me out of them. No Code got me hooked for life.

In time i got to appreciate Vitalogy but oddly enough it was a kid i played basketball with in the ghetto who only listened to rap who had the No Code CD. I said "man i havent paid attention to them in two years". (A long time as a teen) He let me borrow it. I was floored.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    smg97791smg97791 Posts: 151
    Pearl Jam - No Code
    Ten turned me into a fan, No Code turned me into a fanatic.

No Code, and it's really not that close.