GA PIT Experiences N2

2»

Comments

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    I appreciated how the floor was raised a little where the electrical wires ran under the floor, gave me another inch or two so I could see better.
  • dpphotodpphoto Posts: 284
    edited August 2016
    i've had GA at arenas but never a field show. With the increased area and people in GA this time, I cant say i was looking forward to it. Actually posted my GA for trade here yesterday but I didnt get any trade offers which would have put me up front in reserved. We went a little after 7 and got a great spot by one of the entry points in line with Mike. We immediately made friends with those around, helped them save spots if they left, etc. We had the usual group of people who seemingly came from nowhere later in the show, absolutley smashed, and dancing way to wildly and running into people. They were given some space and leeway but were out of control and eventually told to move along.

all in all a good night. GA is always a different animal.
  • The wife and I had pit GA and had a blast... Felt the concert Karma big time last night. Lots of cool people around us. Plenty of party favors, plenty of conversation and plenty of true fans. We all went crazy all show and had a blast to one of the best set lists of all time. We were all exausted by the end of the show and can't imagine a scenario we would rather have played out last night. We were about 3/4 of the way back just left of center stage in the pit. Thanks to Jeremy for getting the whole crowd going Phish style. Can't wait for the next tour.
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
  • SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 370
    GA night 1 was awful. There was a seriously drunk dude with a backpack who kept knocking into people. Thank you to the one guy who basically took the brunt of his shoving and the other guy and his wife who pushed back the entire time. I've never wanted a person to leave a show so bad in my life. Btw it also seemed like all dudes in there on night 1.

Night 2- totally different experience in the same exact spot. So much energy. Sure there were a few pushy girls, but they always kept moving on.
  • NoloadNoload Posts: 1,630
    edited August 2016
    Reserved! They had it right the first time. If they wont go back to that, at least give us a good system for GA that discourages loitering, littering, and dehydration which makes people insane. The merch is the new cash cow..by all means suck it dry, but improve the GA system ala Bruce or any other great ideas that dont punish or test the fans.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • I had issues at Fenway in the ADA section. Once you got in, you were seated first come first serve. This woman came late and then wanted to squeeze up front, bumping people with prosthetic legs. She was a real jerk. She ended up spitting water on my husband because he told her to get out of a guys seat who went to the bathroom (who had a prosthetic leg). I had her bounced. She was nuts.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    DP13 said:

PJ_Soul said:

or block their way.

Then they bump you, pour drinks on you, blow smoke in your face until you finally turn around, put your finger in the girls face to tell her to stop, get punched by her boyfriend, then singled out by the lead singer of your favorite band and ejected from a show you traveled to from 10 states away...

Disclaimer: I have no clue if this is what happened, odds are the guy was a complete asshole and deserved every bit of what happened but when it was going down all I could think of was how terribly unlucky that guy *might have been.
    Well your scenario is just made up. It is a little weird that it corssed your mind thataybe itnwas the girl's fault and the guy whonwas ejectednwas actually the victim, disclaimer or no. But anyway, that is why it's your choice. Block their way and take the risk or let them pass eother out of fear (never my motivation) or generosity or indifference. FWIW, I've been a part of or witness to blocking people from moving forward when there is no room for them to take, and I have never seen the kind of behaviour you are describing (not that I am denying it happens). The worst I've seen is simply some complaining and whining and maybe some hurling of insults on the part of the person being blocked.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Noload said:

Reserved! They had it right the first time. If they wont go back to that, at least give us a good system for GA that discourages loitering, littering, and dehydration which makes people insane. The merch is the new cash cow..by all means suck it dry, but improve the GA system ala Bruce or any other great ideas that dont punish or test the fans.

You know you have a choice to not be in the pit, right?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • shmapshmap Posts: 374
    mattcoz said:

I appreciated how the floor was raised a little where the electrical wires ran under the floor, gave me another inch or two so I could see better.

I did the same, it was great!
    PJ_Soul said:

Noload said:

I did figure that out. Thanks!
    Noload said:

PJ_Soul said:

Noload said:

It's definitely not for everybody. :)
    What's nice about a pit is that it gives us options. All seats doesn't.
  • jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    I miss the old GA Pit days... mosh pits... crowd surges... crowd surfing... jump up and down in unison.... seems there is no energy anymore. Just a bunch of " safe zone" kids...

I understand people died at a festival with PJ with crowd surging and they frown upon that. But I still miss those days. Seemed people understood that you needed to be tough to stay in front. In you felt weak or tired... gtfo. Anyways, times have changed I get it.

PJ_Soul said:

Noload said:

PJ_Soul said:

Noload said:

It's definitely not for everybody. :)
    What's nice about a pit is that it gives us options. All seats doesn't.
    I know im outnumbered so i think GA is here to stay. Im just saying there could be improvements that would make it better for everyone.
    We have to at least acknowledge the fan club initially was attractive because seniority really meant something. That didnt help recruiting new memberships as the years went on so they changed it. First they added rows 1,2 & 9, 10 as lottery which gave new fan club members incentive to join. Also we have to admit it went from some GA to reserved back in 2001 in the name of safety. If im wrong about that im open to being corrected. Reserved provided the safest environment for fans. Im not sure what people are supposed to do when people cut in front of them in GA. Most arent looking to throw down so you either give up your spot or get confrontational. I usually just let them go by but its a problem.
    edited August 2016

I miss the old GA Pit days... mosh pits... crowd surges... crowd surfing... jump up and down in unison.... seems there is no energy anymore. Just a bunch of " safe zone" kids...

I understand people died at a festival with PJ with crowd surging and they frown upon that. But I still miss those days. Seemed people understood that you needed to be tough to stay in front. In you felt weak or tired... gtfo. Anyways, times have changed I get it.

If the 10 club disclosed that and said..Stand your Ground and there will be no negative ramifications i would be game. It may get ugly though. Sometimes the GA doesn'trun on good vibes alone despite what you hear. In Miami i ended up about 15 feet back from where i originally started cuz i didnt want to get into with everyone they let in as show went on. It was a mess.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,803

Nah, its because everyone is old now.

• JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    I was in the back corner of GA with the VIP's. Only issue I had was everyone kept talking through the songs (actually shouting). It wasn't that big of a deal as there was plenty of room so I just moved 10 feet over until I couldn't hear them.

My days of being on or near the rail are over. It's all about enjoying the city, enjoying my friends, and enjoying the music. Sound travels so I don't need to be close.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762

Dude. We're old. We've made the collective decision we're not doing that shit anymore.

If you're having rage and aggression issues, talk it out with your therapist.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887

Some guy in front of me had a joint lit continuously for over 3 hours

And . . . this is a problem ??? I smoke only the best ! Should have asked me , I would have shared.
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• gotsome10gotsome10 Posts: 139
    Out of the 3 GA shows I've been to, having been in the first few rows every time, this was by far my worst experience with the folks around me.... The day started at 7 am in line for me and went smooth as silk up until we were let into the gates... My original line group was immediately separated by line jumpers and assholes... Upon finding my spot I realized that many of the "faithful" were people whom waited all of ten minutes next to the gates or other entrances.. This realization was quickly solidified by the drunk ass beside me, who continually bragged about having walked straight out the bar into the side gate left open, as well as a couple hammered women looking for "friends".... Just before Oceans I was able to get away from him, only to be continually forced farther and farther away from my Dad.. Mid show a guy decided he'd rest his phone on top of my head to video almost two songs until me and the awesome gentleman next to me decided enough was enough. We first asked nice, then when he insisted we were in "his" spot, the tension ensuing caused the good folks from brazil to defend our honor. By the last encore Neither one of us could hold of the continual surges and sneaky advances. This left the two of us some crammed and exhausted we nearly lost sight of the family member we came with and totally lost sight of the band we were 15 ft away from.... In my opinion, the bad spirits on my end of the pit, outweighed the good... I met a ton of amazing individuals that I'm honored to have met, but for once, there were even more assholes i'd rather just forget... All in all, I still feel as if it were the best show, setlist wise, I could've ever asked for and feel beyond privileged to have witnessed it, let alone 15 ft-15 yards away from the Mike, Jeff, and Eddie...
    "I know I was born, and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine. I am MINE"
    "I wonder 'bout his insides, it's like his thoughts are too big for his size..."
    2013- Wrigley, Pittsburgh-(GA)
    2014- St. Louis, Memphis-(GA)
    2016- Tampa, Wrigley 1 & 2-(GA)
  • courtmcccourtmcc Posts: 1,143
    Literally the best GA experience I've ever had. Some lady noticed that I was half her height and she was rail right in front of Mike. She switched spots with me so I can see! So grateful for her!
  • mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 249
    SteffyLou said:

GA night 1 was awful. There was a seriously drunk dude with a backpack who kept knocking into people. Thank you to the one guy who basically took the brunt of his shoving and the other guy and his wife who pushed back the entire time. I've never wanted a person to leave a show so bad in my life. Btw it also seemed like all dudes in there on night 1.

Night 2- totally different experience in the same exact spot. So much energy. Sure there were a few pushy girls, but they always kept moving on.

I think that was probably a function of Saturday vs Monday night more than anything.
  • GoinHungry94GoinHungry94 Posts: 236
    edited August 2016
    I found it easier to just not drink while in GA, too. I had 10 rolled joints but the group around me didn't want to smoke so I think I had one joint to myself for the show. I would have lit another one but my girl and I were rockin too hard. We took the water and scream at the top of our lungs route. Ended up trading a joint after the show for a couple horchatas though! :hang_loose:
    That was my first GA PJ experience, that high alone was greater than any joint I've ever smoked, especially being with my girlfriend who's as passionate about the band as me.

That being said, next time around I'm smoking all y'all up and 'get right' :naughty:
    Post edited by GoinHungry94 on
    Hey nanana
    ain't that somethin
    PJ Chi 2--08-24-2009
    SG Chi 1--01-23-2013
    PJ Wrigley--07-19-2013
    CCornell Chi--10-06-2015
    PJ Wrigley--08-20 & 22 2016
    PJ Wrigley--08-18 & 20 2018
    Denver— 09-22-2022
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,460

I found it easier to just not drink while in GA, too. I had 10 rolled joints but the group around me didn't want to smoke so I think I had one joint to myself for the show. I would have lit another one but my girl and I were rockin too hard. We took the water and scream at the top of our lungs route. Ended up trading a joint after the show for a couple horchatas though! :hang_loose:
    That was my first GA PJ experience, that high alone was greater than any joint I've ever smoked, especially being with my girlfriend who's as passionate about the band as me.

That being said, next time around I'm smoking all y'all up and 'get right' :naughty:

Definitely the way to go... although I prefer Colorado candy myself. No odor, no risk. But no sharing too, which kind of sucks.
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951

Some guy in front of me had a joint lit continuously for over 3 hours

photo image_zpshfwb443g.gif
  • driowadriowa Posts: 115
    We were surrounded by the finest GA folks! All around awesome time!
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,840
    Apart from a few guys pissed about the line starting before 9am, it wasn't that bad if you grab a spot near the front. 10clubbers do a decent job of crowd control near the front.