GA PIT Experiences N2

EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
Did anyone have issues with people trying to squeeze forward shortly before or after the show started. I was 12-15 people back and during "Why Go" I heard a lot of people swearing behind me and then I saw a guy with a "doo-rag" try to block his way forward.

Of course you have the Lincoln Park trixies who can just point to the stage and say "I'm meeting my friend who saved me a spot up front".
6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    edited August 2016
    Some guy in front of me had a joint lit continuously for over 3 hours
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited August 2016
    Sounds like every GA pit I've ever been in. You either let them through or block their way. Your choice. Both are fair options IMO. I personally figure that blocking movement only becomes a real consideration once you're maybe 4 deep or less.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    PJ_Soul said:

or block their way.

Then they bump you, pour drinks on you, blow smoke in your face until you finally turn around, put your finger in the girls face to tell her to stop, get punched by her boyfriend, then singled out by the lead singer of your favorite band and ejected from a show you traveled to from 10 states away...

Disclaimer: I have no clue if this is what happened, odds are the guy was a complete asshole and deserved every bit of what happened but when it was going down all I could think of was how terribly unlucky that guy *might have been.
    ^^^^^ quite possible
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I was in the pit last night and didn't run in to any assholes. Everybody was great, respectable and having an awesome time!
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    I had GA for night 1, and was far back in reserved night 2. Generally just enjoyed myself in the reserved seats more. I think the thing here....everyone has a spot, and its "this" spot. There is never any adjusting, you can go to the bathroom or get a drink and not worry about finding your friend, or losing your spot. I have enjoyed GA before, even got rail, and yeah...its a blast...but overall, i just enjoyed night 2 more being in the seats. I think people are less worried when they KNOW there is a seat for them, and they have a specific spot.
    It also kinda sucks...cause when you do GA...you camp out, you spend a lot of time doing nothing (its not always boring, but sometimes it can be in rain, heat, etc). So, sometimes, when I am in GA...i find i am just a bit more tired than when I can walk in and get my seat and not have to worry about anything. I know most of my concert experiences going forward will be in seats....perhaps the occasional GA pit....but that said...I would still prefer they go back to seats up front. Less smashing, no people pushing, everyone has a spot, etc.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    edited August 2016
    LOTS of "Oh I just left, I was up front" and waving to imaginary friends near the rail signaling their "right" to move past everyone else. Some made it a point as they were leaving to say "remember me, I'll be back." Fair enough. Some PJ fans are entitled dicks though, more so than any other fan club.
    However, my "line mates" were totally respectful the entire day and my wife and I were very pleased with those we met personally. Good people...and the good did outweigh the bad for sure...just NOT by a long shot. IMHO
    Post edited by SZ303389 on
    ShawnZ
  • SZ303389SZ303389 Posts: 453
    And "saving" PIT "seats?" Come on now...
    ShawnZ
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Yah we got in the lineup around 5:00 and ended up around 12 to 15 people deep from midstage. Lots of people looking for their imaginary friends... lol... People in front of us kept smoking vaporizers, and a pipe with something that had no weed odor to it. Didn't big me, they were short :)

I tend to start holding my ground just before the band comes one and during the set. I simply don't move :) I can be a pillar if I want to be.

I thought the pit was really good over all lots of energy and everyone was rocking the fuck out. Good times :)

I will say it was a pretty packed pit. It felt like it had the amount of people you would see on with the entire floor GA at an Arena. Except at an Arena the back half is always empty because everyone goes to the front. I didn't really see any empty space in the pit. They packed it solid for sure :)
  • DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    SZ303389 said:

And "saving" PIT "seats?" Come on now...

Hard not to let people by when we aren't smashed together. I was about 20 people back, dead center, everyone was very chill. I mean if beer vendors are able to get through with ease up until 15 minutes before show time it is pretty much impossible to keep people from getting past you.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

@NHiding :smiley:
    www.cluthelee.com
    I was the tall guy in the red #33 jersey :)
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    DP13 said:

PJ_Soul said:

or block their way.

Then they bump you, pour drinks on you, blow smoke in your face until you finally turn around, put your finger in the girls face to tell her to stop, get punched by her boyfriend, then singled out by the lead singer of your favorite band and ejected from a show you traveled to from 10 states away...

Disclaimer: I have no clue if this is what happened, odds are the guy was a complete asshole and deserved every bit of what happened but when it was going down all I could think of was how terribly unlucky that guy *might have been.
    i was wondering this too, if it was like the guy who retaliates and gets flagged for the 15 yard personal foul after getting kicked in the nuts. doesnt sound like this was the case from what i read in the review thread, but still, it could happen.
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • 3rd row bw Ed, Stone. Great crowd, no issues. We policed ourselves and everyone took care of the people around them. Tight but had enough space to rock. Perfect.
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158
    Had a girl spill beer on me when she was trying to move her way up, in the middle of a song, and she looked at me like it was my fault for jumping around and enjoying the show. I just laughed it off, overall it was !@#$ing amazing.
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    I've had annoying experiences in GA before but last night wasn't one of them.

Amazing and cool.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    I'm just not made for GA. It's not my temperament. I'm always golden in Reserved.
    Yeah, I get it.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

I'm just not made for GA. It's not my temperament. I'm always golden in Reserved.

Same here - plus 10c has hooked me up nicely through the past few tours on the wings. Those days are done. Sure when I was 14 for Lolla' 92!
    www.cluthelee.com
    I mean, it's not like it's violent down there. Most of us are just rocking out in our little spot.

I get the paranoia about having to go pee or buy beer. That's a definite drawback to GA.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Smell weed and beer..all good..its a rock concert
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • socalstylesocalstyle Columbus, OH Posts: 40

I was the tall guy in the red #33 jersey :)

Hey pistons fans... We had a great 3 plus hours last night! I'm still hazy!
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
  • socalstylesocalstyle Columbus, OH Posts: 40

Got to love it when Phish fans and PJ fans unite.
    03 - Irvine
    10 - Columbus
    13 - Pittsburgh
    16 - Lexington, Chicago 2
    18 - Seattle 2, Missoula, Boston 1
    Hahaha
  • mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,158

I get the paranoia about having to go pee or buy beer. That's a definite drawback to GA.

Just don't buy beer, solves both problems. I filled up a water bottle inside the gate and drank just enough to keep me hydrated.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    Strap a wine bag to your chest and pee where you stand. If anyone gives you shit, light a joint and blow the smoke in their face.

-kidding, except for the wine of course. That goes without saying. And three flasks of jack of course. #evenbros
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    We came in at about 7PM and were about 3/4 back in the center. It was fine there for a while, but my wife needed a bathroom and more wine about 4 songs in. She couldn't get back so that was pretty much the end of that experience. I spent the rest of the show off to the side, where it was pretty open. You couldn't see Mike when he was away from the front of teh stage though. But in all, I didn't mind it too much.

I was using my wife's head as a prop for my video camera so that was a bonus. She's never come to a show before, but this worked out pretty well!

I was using my wife's head as a prop for my video camera so that was a bonus - :rofl:
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

I was using my wife's head as a prop for my video camera so that was a bonus - :rofl:

Was better before she was six glasses of wine into the show, then it was a bit of a liability. But I got some great footage for the upcoming BR!
  • mrussel1 said:

We came in at about 7PM and were about 3/4 back in the center. It was fine there for a while, but my wife needed a bathroom and more wine about 4 songs in. She couldn't get back so that was pretty much the end of that experience. I spent the rest of the show off to the side, where it was pretty open. You couldn't see Mike when he was away from the front of teh stage though. But in all, I didn't mind it too much.

I was using my wife's head as a prop for my video camera so that was a bonus. She's never come to a show before, but this worked out pretty well!

No comment -