Options

Next Chicago Show - Soldier Field!!!

Comments

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045

The downside to Soldier is that its a clusterfuck getting in/out (even with cabs and Public transport) and there is nothing to do in the area. At least wrigley you can go to a bar and walk a few blocks to catch a ride.

The upside is the sight lines are better for reserved.

Traffic everywhere..united center better but i got caught up at wrigley as well..Nothing immediate as far with bars like Wrigley which is fantastic..but an alpine like tailgate with a city backdrop is equally as fun!! Really impressed with the "grounds" around soldier field. Lots of nicely manicured fields and overall nice looking area.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    bbisonbbison Posts: 219
    Wma31394 said:

No I've been to two shows at soldier field both sounded terrible.

Which ones? Pj sounded good...so did dmb, and dead.
    Not sure which DMB/Dead shows you mean, but Soldier Field '95 when PJ played doesn't exist anymore. That wall of syyboxes reflects sound, and the low overhang on the west side 200 level means you can't hear for shit there.

I didn't mind Wrigley, because, well--it's Wrigley. And Wrigleyville. These ballpark shows are definitely Tribal Gatherings on a BIG scale (like PJ 20, Spectrum, etc.) and that's awesome. Good to hang with fans from everywhere. But I'm glad these stadiums shows are exceptions and not the norm. Arenas work. Some sheds work.
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    We'll since the structural change I've only seen dead 50 anniversary (last year) and I believe dmb but 100% sure. The only other acts have been country pop i think. The dead sounded good no complaints other than phils voice. A pj one off soldier field show would no doubt be a tribal event. Again, I've seen all type of venues and really don't mind United center that much..but for the next one let's do SOLDIER!!!
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
  • Options
    I can really see this happening..hell they could probably do 2 shows!! People in chicagoland are still talking pj. Radio, tv, locals in the burbs. I could only imagine what the social interwebs look like. People literally coming out of wood works to see pj. Haha all the dudes who were shocked and discusted when they heard "who you are" as the first single..all the people who didn't appreciate the corporate angst with ticketmaster (Just wanted cheaper tix sheesh)..all the people that went to emo raprock....guess what jammers??!.

THEY'RE BACK!!!!!
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    My dream show in Chicago is at the Pritzker Pavilion. I absolutely love seeing shows there.

Since that won't ever happen, Wrigley is probably the best venue for PJ. Shows at Soldier Field suffer from bad sound (and the isolation like others were saying) and the UC/UIC Pavilion are really unremarkable.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    mikeliska said:

My dream show in Chicago is at the Pritzker Pavilion. I absolutely love seeing shows there.

Since that won't ever happen, Wrigley is probably the best venue for PJ. Shows at Soldier Field suffer from bad sound (and the isolation like others were saying) and the UC/UIC Pavilion are really unremarkable.

Fantastic pritzker pavillion...not happening though..

Sound is over rated. It's good enough by far..how do You people factor your neighbor singing every song in your ear in your sound rating??? And it is every song at pj shows...

I know Wrigley is a blast I've done it both years now..would like to switch things up next show...
    Post edited by Wma31394 on
  • Options
    mikeliskamikeliska Posts: 248
    I always wear earplugs, does a bangup job of filtering out your annoying neighbors. If they're REALLY annoying just ask them to take it down a notch.
  • Options
    mikeliska said:

I always wear earplugs, does a bangup job of filtering out your annoying neighbors. If they're REALLY annoying just ask them to take it down a notch.

I prefer everyone singing and singing loud...promotes a good time!
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858

I saw them at the UC night 2 2009, and of course it was great seeing them but arena shows fucking blow imo. Outdoor has always been a much more lively time. GA Wrigley was one of the best experiences I'll hopefully be able to live again. But if not I'm totally content. That all being said I'd shit bricks if they played Soldier Field again! I'd say we'd be beyond lucky for another Chicago show next year.

Amen
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    and next vault vinyl soldier field 95'!!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options

and next vault vinyl soldier field 95'!!

That would be nice. I would buy that one.
  • Options
    SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 369
    Have to agree with those that say no. Friends just saw Coldplay and JT here and said they could barely see the video monitors let alone the stage, they were so far away.
  • Options
    SteffyLou said:

Have to agree with those that say no. Friends just saw Coldplay and JT here and said they could barely see the video monitors let alone the stage, they were so far away.

Sounds like the bigger problem is the artists they saw!! Haha

Any seat behind home plate at Wrigley is equally as bad..worse if under grandstands
  • Options
    SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 369
    edited August 2016
    Haha! And the crazy thing is they paid $200-$400 for tickets.thats list not stubhub prices. My cousins took their daughter to Taylor Swift there too- $250 for upper 200 level.
    Post edited by SteffyLou on
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    No
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Whenever the next Chicago show is, I'm already excited because I hope to be living there at that point :)
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    GA for stadium shows is incredible but reserved seating is absolutely terrible. I'd rather see Wrigley again rather than Soldier Field. Crowds are far too apathetic for a show as big as Soldier Field. If you don't score GA you can bet you'll be surrounded by people who are just there to talk and drink. Leave the stadium shows to South America where fans in the (not so) cheap seats still appreciate a good show.
  • Options

No

Rockford Harris bank center???
  • Options

GA for stadium shows is incredible but reserved seating is absolutely terrible. I'd rather see Wrigley again rather than Soldier Field. Crowds are far too apathetic for a show as big as Soldier Field. If you don't score GA you can bet you'll be surrounded by people who are just there to talk and drink. Leave the stadium shows to South America where fans in the (not so) cheap seats still appreciate a good show.

Tons of those "talk and drink" fans as well at Wrigley. Maybe not in 10 club areas but they are there..
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Tons of those "talk and drink" fans as well at Wrigley. Maybe not in 10 club areas but they are there..
    Oh believe me, I know. I was surrounded by them during Night II.
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Wma31394 said:

No

Rockford Harris bank center???
    Smaller than the iWireless Center in Moline. Make it happen
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    TvanTvan Chicago Posts: 73
    As cool as the Wrigley shows were, I could see a change of venue when they come back next. Soldier field is a huge pain though... would rather they headline Lollapalooza or play the UC again.
    EAST TROY, WI 9/3/11
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/22/16
    CHICAGO, IL 8/18/18
    CHICAGO, IL 8/20/18
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    just play on a barge to the entire lakefront for free
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    excellent idea!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    hrd2imgn said:

just play on a barge to the entire lakefront for free

Reminds me of the Simpson's movie when Green Day plays the barge...
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Eddie solo at Pritzker is something that should happen as well... not as intimate as other solo shows but would make for a great outdoor show
  • Options
    tschav said:

Eddie solo at Pritzker is something that should happen as well... not as intimate as other solo shows but would make for a great outdoor show

I could see that happening..he would sound fantastic there.
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    no to alpine
    no to soldier field
    neither of these would be a "destination" event for me
    now IF IL went rec green then things would change but colorado still wins x 10
  • Options

no to alpine
    no to soldier field
    neither of these would be a "destination" event for me
    now IF IL went rec green then things would change but colorado still wins x 10

Yea my guess people are tired of Chicago/alpine as i destination site..i can understand that and as a Chicagoan (burbs) I just want a regular show and Soldier would be a good spot...something different rather than Wrigley or United center..

Rec green would be fantastic but i dont even think it's on the ballot this year..