Check your math--overcharged at Wrigley merch stand

High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 Posts: 4,435
edited August 2016 in The Porch
My friend waited for merch for 5 hours in the rain on Saturday morning and told me the whole story of how she was overcharged. It's hard when you're buying so much and depending what's available and not available, but try to check your math and make sure you are being charged correctly. Guy with a calculator screwed up somehow. She was overcharged $110. She realized it after signing the CC slip and didn't even walk away from the stand, but said that wasn't right. The guy said once you sign there's nothing he could do. She asked for a manager, talked to two more people higher up (including band merch guy "Kevin" which I can only assume was Kevin Shuss), who ALSO didn't want to refund her money. They counted all her stuff and totaled it up and KNEW she was overcharged but said there was nothing they could do which I think is crap. I don't remember how or why but they finally decided to credit her. They supposedly canceled the old charge and recharged her the correct amount, she hadn't logged on and checked her credit card as of yesterday but was afraid if they screwed up now there would be two charges! Hope not.

Mistakes happen. What I found upsetting was that they knew they were wrong yet refused to do anything for a long time, including the band merchandise person. I could see how they would think someone was trying to scam them if you walked away and walked back up but she had not even left the stand where she just paid. With all the millions of dollars they are making off merchandise this week, I can't believe they would treat a fan like that for $100 that they KNEW was incorrect but kind of shrugged it off and said "oh well" for a long time. I don't think the band would approve. Apparently this happened to other people the same day, so just be careful and try to add in your head as best you can.
ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
Post edited by High Fidelity 2000 on

Comments

• link93link93 Posts: 410
    Good advise I was overcharged 140 inside wrigley same situation didn't walk away and still had to have a manager come and give credit at first they weren't going to do anything basically too bad so sad. Also another guy they did credit and he noticed they actually charged him again instead of crediting. I think he got it fixed. But What a pain.
  • That does suck! As much as it sucks, you really do need to give those employees some slack - handling those amounts of transactions, with some folks spending $700-$1500 in merchandise, it's not surprising that there might be a mistake or two!

The real simple solution is two fold:
    - Check your stub before you leave as they did. I'm not really sure why there was such an issue getting a refund as they did? Very odd.
    - If there is an overcharge, just contact your credit card company & tell them that you were overcharged. They should be able to help.
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• I was overcharged by $60. I chalk it up to long lines and buying a lot of stuff.
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    That sucks, but I can totally see that happening if you're making a big purchase. I was slightly overcharged at Fenway because for some reason none of those guys had a calculator and were adding up in their heads. The next time I got in line, I made the guy add up out loud and I punched it into my phone. I don't think it's intentional, still doesn't make it right.

Sounds like they are using calculators at Wrigley, maybe you pull out your phone and add along with them just to double check?
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,016
    Agreed not intentional. My person charged 10 for 10 packs of cards instead of 5 and charged me for extra posters. He felt bad it was the nazi lady in the booth that was like too bad.
  • Yes like I said I can see mistakes happening, everyone wants to get through and it's not like anyone is buying just one thing :)
    It's that "too bad" attitude that I think sucks. If you went to a restaurant or a retail store and you caught that they overcharged you, and they knew you overcharged you, what do you think they would do? Would they say too late? Or would they credit you back? Common sense. That they basically refused to give her back the overcharge is what we found frustrating. They want you to just go "oh well, I lost $100, time to walk away."

Jesus, I got a free cookie at the Midway Potbelly yesterday because I watched the girl dump mayo on my sandwich after I just said no mayo then she covered it with lettuce and said she did not put mayo. The manager was apologetic and thought it was hilarious and so did I, and she was still insisting there was not mayo on the sandwich to her manager, who looked under the lettuce and saw it with his own eyes. She works making sandwiches and screwed up and tried to cover it up with lettuce. Not a multi million dollar PJ merch operation making hundreds of dollars off each transaction in most cases.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

• manitoumanmanitouman Posts: 1,085
    I got overcharged $11 AND they shorted me 2 koozies. Not as bad at all compared to the others. Merch is already frustrating...now throw in being overcharged.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • gleng2gleng2 Posts: 157
    $10 over but forgot to charge for 2 tubes so $6, won't complain i guess
    Former member of “Thomas 9” 10-2-2018 #neverforget
  • At pj 20 i was undercharged by 2 posters and a t shirt. I went back and told them. They said whats done is done.
  • Tough situation all - sounds like it is what it is.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845

Tough situation all - sounds like it is what it is.

Yeah, when there is as much stuff as they are selling and there aren't bar codes to scan there will be a mixup in price more often than not probably (just hopefully not that far off).
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Or just take time and confirm things right?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • dcp3ydcp3y Posts: 818
    Paying cash Saturday night, I was asked for $5 over my total. I corrected dude on spot and moved along paying the right price. I think the vendor workers are just overwhelmed, the fans are underwhelmed (having to stand in long lines), and we all are confused why merchandise management doesn't at least offer pre-orders to satisfy us rabid fans. Moral of story is keep track of your own total as best you can.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,433
    I was overcharged by over almost $1000 on Saturday morning. Felt bad for the person behind me that he had to wait as the vendor re-added up the cost but I was sure the guy messed up. I'm glad I had him double check to say the least.
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882

I was overcharged by over almost $1000 on Saturday morning. Felt bad for the person behind me that he had to wait as the vendor re-added up the cost but I was sure the guy messed up. I'm glad I had him double check to say the least.

by $1000?!?! How much stuff were you buying to be off by that much?
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• phan84phan84 Posts: 48
    edited August 2016
    Your friend should be on the phone with her credit card company immediately and explain the story. They should absolutely take care of it and I'm sure they will. Atleast Amex will fix the charge and ask questions later. Explain the entire situation. They'll fix it. A store (and that is basically what it is) can't make a mistake and say "it is what it is." That is crap. Make sure she saves her receipt and takes notes on what happened.

Imagine going into Macys and buying shirt and having them overcharge you and basically say "sorry can't fix it" - would never fly. It really isn't any different.

MAYBE if your friend just walked away and didn't say anything she might not be able to do anything about it, but the fact that she questioned them and they basically said nothing - the CC company should absolutely take care of it.
    Post edited by phan84 on
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,433
    edited August 2016
    a5pj said:

I bought 2 of each posters, a couple of shirts, a duffle, and socks. I think it was a matter of hitting the "00" key instead of the "0" on the calculator. I don't flip, if that's what you're implying. Make sure you do your math along with the person helping you.
    Post edited by droptheleash9 on
  • People don't add up what they should be charged in their heads before they get quoted the total? And if that's too much, doesn't everyone's phone have a calculator? How much did you buy that you didn't notice being overcharged $110? I mean, it must have been a shit load b/c if you only bought $200-$300 and couldn't figure out when someone quoted you 33%-50% more, I feel concerned for you in everyday life.

Sorry, I understand the result was a PITA, but c'mon folks - help yourselves once in a while. If I was behind the booth handling that many transactions in a day, I'd have been like - really - you couldn't have brought that up 7 seconds ago and saved us all a little heart ache?

I am now prepared to be beat up for being the unsympathetic heal I am.....
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • phan84phan84 Posts: 48

People don't add up what they should be charged in their heads before they get quoted the total? And if that's too much, doesn't everyone's phone have a calculator? How much did you buy that you didn't notice being overcharged $110? I mean, it must have been a shit load b/c if you only bought $200-$300 and couldn't figure out when someone quoted you 33%-50% more, I feel concerned for you in everyday life.

Sorry, I understand the result was a PITA, but c'mon folks - help yourselves once in a while. If I was behind the booth handling that many transactions in a day, I'd have been like - really - you couldn't have brought that up 7 seconds ago and saved us all a little heart ache?

I agree with you. But nevertheless - they screwed up and took no responsibility for it. I can't get past the fact that the merch stand screwed up and wouldn't fix it.
  • phan84 said:

People don't add up what they should be charged in their heads before they get quoted the total? And if that's too much, doesn't everyone's phone have a calculator? How much did you buy that you didn't notice being overcharged $110? I mean, it must have been a shit load b/c if you only bought $200-$300 and couldn't figure out when someone quoted you 33%-50% more, I feel concerned for you in everyday life.

I agree with you. But nevertheless - they screwed up and took no responsibility for it. I can't get past the fact that the merch stand screwed up and wouldn't fix it.
    Do you think it's a bit of what I was saying I would have said? I might have put the screws to ya too if you as a singular transaction can't take care of yourself vs. me doing 1,000s.

It did not sound like they took no responsibility. It sounded like they knew they could do it and were screwing with the person.

Also, I take reports like this with a grain of salt. "Victims" of such terrible crimes that they know they brought on themselves tend to color the situation in my experience.
  • lotsalemonlotsalemon Posts: 2,737

I added my stash up while the cashier was, because it was mass confusion at the Fenway merch tables.

It's bad business to refuse a refund when they are admittedly wrong...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqyJVw-DhPg
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• My tip is this: You're in line for quite a while (usually) so take a moment to step out and walk up to the stand, see what you want and start doing the math in your head or on the calculator on your phone so you'll know if you're in the ballpark (pun intended) when the frazzled people in the booth add up your purchase. Just my two cents.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • phan84 said:

Her correct total was something like $315 and they charged $427 or something like that. She bought two posters, a $70 hoodie, a pin, three shirts, and like a bunch of my little requests (wristbands socks coozies etc)... Quick, what should that total be??? It's difficult to keep track because even though I had a whole list of what I wanted on my phone, when I got there they were out of most of it so (for example) I bought two extra patches because it was all that was left. She had an idea what it was supposed to be and in the 30 seconds or whatever of them giving her a receipt to sign and signing it she knew something was off but wasn't sure how much till she counted everything without even walking away. Also remember you have hundreds of people in line behind you that are in the same boat, and everyone is making fun of the people "browsing" or holding up shirts to see how big they are when we just wanna get to the front and get our stuff. It is definitely easy to make mistakes on the buyer's and the cashier's side, but she DID catch it immediately and they AGREED it was wrong but it was "too late." No one would stand for that anywhere else. If you go to the movies and buy one ticket and they charge you for two, you stop them and they would fix it. The merch folks didn't want to fix it including the head of band merchandise and I think that's shitty. It's not that we are upset at someone for adding wrong, it's that they didn't care to correct their mistake, including two people above the cashier who just messed up.

edited August 2016
    For my 140 overcharge the problem was it was a mad rush of people my total was like 340 the issue was he took my credit card ran it and handed me the receipt to sign without giving me a total and then handed me my receipt that's when I noticed the overcharge. so just be careful it can happen.
    Post edited by link93 on
  • i was undercharged 40$. sweet....
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882

a5pj said:

I bought 2 of each posters, a couple of shirts, a duffle, and socks. I think it was a matter of hitting the "00" key instead of the "0" on the calculator. I don't flip, if that's what you're implying. Make sure you do your math along with the person helping you.
    Did not imply that you're flipping at all. Yeah figured that 00 key can be a killer.

If you got an extra koozie hit me up!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,935
    edited August 2016
    It would be nice if they had something like a menu card that you filled out in advance while waiting in line, writing in quantities and sizes of what you wanted. Then they'd have a sort of pick ticket to grab everything you wanted to hopefully expedite the process a little. It could then be added up right on the card.
    Speaking as someone who ran retail stores for the better part of a decade, a PJ merch line for the ballpark shows is like peak Black Friday or Xmas shopping with the number of customers shopping and the amount of transactions being processed. It's really stressful. Mistakes can happen here and there, but there's no excuse for them not taking responsibility and being accountable to correct their mistake. If they weren't going to refund it at all (which was wrong on their part to not offer to fix it), the least they could have done is let her pick out additional merch that would get her up to the total she was charged.
    I was able to calculate the total of the High Fidelity's post above in my head until you got to the small stuff which you didn't list quantities and such ( $70 (2x$35 posters) + $70 hoodie + $105 (3x$35 shirts) + $5 enamel pin = $250, maybe a few bucks extra if tubes were added ) + whatever the total of the small stuff would be. Obviously the merch people need to be on point. Consumers also need to be aware and have an idea of what they're spending/being charged. Don't hand over your cash/card until you've counted out your purchase right there on the counter along with them to make sure both people get it right.
    If there are that many mistakes happening like being mentioned in the thread, call the weights and measures department.
    Post edited by kasedoug on
  • phan84 said:

Her correct total was something like $315 and they charged $427 or something like that. She bought two posters, a $70 hoodie, a pin, three shirts, and like a bunch of my little requests (wristbands socks coozies etc)... Quick, what should that total be??? It's difficult to keep track because even though I had a whole list of what I wanted on my phone, when I got there they were out of most of it so (for example) I bought two extra patches because it was all that was left. She had an idea what it was supposed to be and in the 30 seconds or whatever of them giving her a receipt to sign and signing it she knew something was off but wasn't sure how much till she counted everything without even walking away. Also remember you have hundreds of people in line behind you that are in the same boat, and everyone is making fun of the people "browsing" or holding up shirts to see how big they are when we just wanna get to the front and get our stuff. It is definitely easy to make mistakes on the buyer's and the cashier's side, but she DID catch it immediately and they AGREED it was wrong but it was "too late." No one would stand for that anywhere else. If you go to the movies and buy one ticket and they charge you for two, you stop them and they would fix it. The merch folks didn't want to fix it including the head of band merchandise and I think that's shitty. It's not that we are upset at someone for adding wrong, it's that they didn't care to correct their mistake, including two people above the cashier who just messed up.
    I get $250 plus your little stuff. I'm shocked your little stuff added up to $65 let alone $177. That's almost a 300% whiff. Though, those don't actually sound very little to me. Stickers are little, but we're quibbling.

So, you caused the problem for someone else, and now you feel bad, so you're shitting on the staff. Just kidding.

Nobody's saying she shouldn't get her money back. I think you're missing the point.
  • phan84 said:

I get $250 plus your little stuff. I'm shocked your little stuff added up to $65 let alone $177. That's almost a 300% whiff. Though, those don't actually sound very little to me. Stickers are little, but we're quibbling.

So, you caused the problem for someone else, and now you feel bad, so you're shitting on the staff. Just kidding.

Nobody's saying she shouldn't get her money back. I think you're missing the point.
    Actually you are missing the point. The PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THE BAND IN CHARGE OF MERCH were saying she shouldn't get her money back. I didn't cause any problems for her. I was merely sending out a warning to people buying merch today. Other people were overcharged too. She also got me three packs of cards. Everything of mine was $5-$15 plus one of the shirts. That's the point, it did NOT add up to $177.

Why be such a dick about it, seriously?