Did the Cubs sell their soul?

Just wanted to know what others are thinking. Did the cubs sell themselves to the dark side by trading for Chapman, the female beater? I feel that not all things are worth a victory, especially excepting a person who beats women. We all know the cubs need a world series title, but at what cost? So we no longer care about the character of our players, as long as we win? Let me be the first to say, the cubs are cursed, cursed by a person who bullies females. Hey Theo, hope you still sleep well at night. Oh, it's all about the bottom line anyway, right? Anyone else have any opinion?

Comments

• DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Relax, they got a pitcher with a history. Not the end of the world.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Posts: 985
    BK49302 said:

Just wanted to know what others are thinking. Did the cubs sell themselves to the dark side by trading for Chapman, the female beater? I feel that not all things are worth a victory, especially excepting a person who beats women. We all know the cubs need a world series title, but at what cost? So we no longer care about the character of our players, as long as we win? Let me be the first to say, the cubs are cursed, cursed by a person who bullies females. Hey Theo, hope you still sleep well at night. Oh, it's all about the bottom line anyway, right? Anyone else have any opinion?

I honestly thought long and hard about this when the rumors started. There's the whole issue you talked about, coupled with the dust up between him and Rizzo a couple of years back. I have an email chain with members of my family and extended friends and cubs fans where it was discussed at length. In the end, I had this to say, and yes, i realize how it will come off - "I don't care if Charles Manson became a 400 hitter in the California penal league, we lobbied for his release, and signed him. If it brings us a championship, that's all that matters to me at this point."

The thing is, my great grandfather took my Dad to his first cubs game, and he never got to see this. Generations of my family, all cubs fans, never got to see a WS victory. At this point, it's almost not even about the team. It's about getting to share the unbelievable experience with the people I love the most. To see them as happy about something as I am, to relive the memories of going to the game with your grandpa, your dad, to know how it would have made them feel to be able to see it. I realize, maybe not the greatest way to look at it, or the best way to go about it. A good friend of mine put it best, I think. "You don't win championships with a team full of choir boys."
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,294

^^^^This

I would view it differently perhaps if he were a repeat offender of this. Reality is, sadly we are all probably a maximum of 3° of separation from a couple who ar some point has had domestic abuse go on...one way or the other. Yes, it works both ways. So think about it, if your brother (father, son, whatever) got liquored up one night and hit his wife, yes that is awful. Say this was the first time in a 6 year relationship. Would you be selling your soul by accepting the "woman beater" back into tour life? Or would you disown this person? Even if it were your own son? Would you think this person should not be able to work in his profession ever again?

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    edited August 2016

^^^^This

I would view it differently perhaps if he were a repeat offender of this. Reality is, sadly we are all probably a maximum of 3° of separation from a couple who ar some point has had domestic abuse go on...one way or the other. Yes, it works both ways. So think about it, if your brother (father, son, whatever) got liquored up one night and hit his wife, yes that is awful. Say this was the first time in a 6 year relationship. Would you be selling your soul by accepting the "woman beater" back into tour life? Or would you disown this person? Even if it were your own son? Would you think this person should not be able to work in his profession ever again?

Holy shit. I've seen a lot of rationalization, but good god this may take the cake. This is coming from someone who was somewhat okay with the yanks trading for him.

If my brother in law ever laid a fucking finger on my sister, I'd be in jail for longer than he would.

there is not much in this world more disgusting than domestic violence
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • BK49302BK49302 Posts: 9
    ...also fired his gun about six times in frustration after striking his girlfriend. Not sure that is who I want representing my team/organization, but I'm not the money man, Theo is, and money rules. Good luck cubbies, but I'm not cheering for Chapman.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,766
    Did he actually come out to The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" the other night?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,427
    BK49302 said:

Yeah, go cry somewhere else.
    edited August 2016

Did he actually come out to The Prodigy's "Smack My Bitch Up" the other night?

No, he did not. The stadium DJ played it after he walked off the mound on the 9th. He was promptly fired this morning by President of Business Operations, Crane Kenney.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
    BK49302 said:

...also fired his gun about six times in frustration after striking his girlfriend. Not sure that is who I want representing my team/organization, but I'm not the money man, Theo is, and money rules. Good luck cubbies, but I'm not cheering for Chapman.

Tom Ricketts is the money man.
  • BK49302 said:

Tom Ricketts is the money man.
    Hey!
    Check your private messages.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    BK49302 said:

I hear the white Sox are looking for new fans.

BK49302 said:

Big LOL

Well played, sir.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Listen, im not advocating domestic abuse. Men that hit any women are scum bags. Should he lose his job for it? Should any man that has ever been convicted of domestic violence be forced to the unemployment lines? No. Shoukd he be required to take some sort of counseling or anger management? Yes. If he is a repeat offender, cut him. But in the mean time, keep saving games for the cubs.

Listen, im not advocating domestic abuse. Men that hit any women are scum bags. Should he lose his job for it? Should any man that has ever been convicted of domestic violence be forced to the unemployment lines? No. Shoukd he be required to take some sort of counseling or anger management? Yes. If he is a repeat offender, cut him. But in the mean time, keep saving games for the cubs.

My sentiments exactly.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,418
    on one hand the argument could be made the Cubs were great without Chapman so why do they really need him? On the other hand you aren't dealing in a business that others would forego the player because of his indiscretions so if not you then one of your competitors will take him. I get the sentiment from the OP though. I mean I am an Eagles fan and had to deal with them signing and playing Michael Vick. Only thing I can say about that situation is Vick was given a 2nd chance and had no other indiscretions. Give Chapman a 2nd chance but get rid of him if anything else happens. Nothing wrong with giving 2nd chances. it's when you start getting 3rd 4th or 5th chances that it's get to be absurd.
    pjhawks said:

on one hand the argument could be made the Cubs were great without Chapman so why do they really need him? On the other hand you aren't dealing in a business that others would forego the player because of his indiscretions so if not you then one of your competitors will take him. I get the sentiment from the OP though. I mean I am an Eagles fan and had to deal with them signing and playing Michael Vick. Only thing I can say about that situation is Vick was given a 2nd chance and had no other indiscretions. Give Chapman a 2nd chance but get rid of him if anything else happens. Nothing wrong with giving 2nd chances. it's when you start getting 3rd 4th or 5th chances that it's get to be absurd.

+1
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    BK49302 said:

I care greatly about the character of those that are in the national spotlight - where kids are watching, asking questions, etc., I think he should have been banned from MLB personally, just like when I read stories in my local papers of these incidents and these guys are free in 12 hours and think they should do their 'reforming' from inside a prison vs. out in public.
    www.cluthelee.com
    pjhawks said:

They really needed a shut down closer...
    Chapman has also shown absolutely zero remorse

Did all you Cubs fans race to defend Greg Hardy and the Cowboys?

Chapman has also shown absolutely zero remorse

Did all you Cubs fans race to defend Greg Hardy and the Cowboys?

I don't think there's one of us on here "defending" the guy, or his actions. Saying someone deserves a second chance is a lot different that defending his actions. And I made no comment regarding Hardy at the time. My thought process, generally, when hearing of a professional athlete doing something stupid is not usually one of surprise.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Interesting discussion. Sounds like people deserve a second chance, as long as they're a professional athlete signed by your team.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

Interesting discussion. Sounds like people deserve a second chance, as long as they're a professional athlete signed by your team.

That's not at all what I said.

There's a lot of inventing of possible view points going on here. Sox fans, or Cards fans? I going with healthy mix of both.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

I wasn't singling you or anyone out. I was observing what seems to be the gist of the thread.
    If I was accused of choking/hitting my wife then shooting a gun in my garage out of anger, I would have no expectation that my company should keep me on board.

I enjoyed watching Chapman pitch and I was more or less fine with the trade, but I found myself hating cheering for him.

I wasn't singling you or anyone out. I was observing what seems to be the gist of the thread.
    I can understand that. Maybe we should have prefaced by saying "I think everyone is entitled to a second chance.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    I have a feeling he will be back in the Bronx this offseason

Plaxico should have shot himself in Florida...he would have been given a medal,instead of a jail sentence.

You know damn well if he did this up North he wouldn't be playing this year

CROJAM95 said:

I have a feeling he will be back in the Bronx this offseason

Plaxico should have shot himself in Florida...he would have been given a medal,instead of a jail sentence.

You know damn well if he did this up North he wouldn't be playing this year

Good ole Plaxico! While an enormous moron, his play on the field did ensure one of greatest weekends of my life.....When he caught for almost 300 yards against UM, and I was hanging out at MSU for a few days.
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL

edited August 2016

If I was accused of choking/hitting my wife then shooting a gun in my garage out of anger, I would have no expectation that my company should keep me on board.

I enjoyed watching Chapman pitch and I was more or less fine with the trade, but I found myself hating cheering for him.

I would hope my company wouldn't fire me if i did something similar. But would not be surprised if I was fired. Shouldn't I have the opportunity to get another job if I served my sentence?

I would hope my company wouldn't fire me if i did something similar. But would not be surprised if I was fired. Shouldn't I have the opportunity to get another job if I served my sentence?
    Yes. But you might be looking at a completely different career. My employer hires people with felony convictions but not until 7 years after they've served their sentence.