Stadium Shows

FreeFree Posts: 3,562
I don't have much interest in seeing ANY show at a stadium for my own reasons (including sound, inability to see much, etc). Those who have attended stadium shows and think they're worth it, can you tell me what's so great about them?

Do not use this chance to get all over me either, I have a chance to go a Fenway show, and really would like to know why I should take the chance. Thanks

Comments

• gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,651
    I'll take any chance to see a band I love while standing on the hallowed field at Wrigley....that's what it's about for me. I don't expect arena sound, and I just need to be on the field (and I will for both)! GO CUBS GO!!!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    I really dislike them too, but I'm going to Fenway because it's Fenway. Ed loves ballparks and he will be in a good mood, so I'm going because of that, not because I think Fenway will be an amazing venue. I went to Wrigley in 2013 for the same reason, and especially because it was Wrigley, but I have no desire to ever go to Wrigley again for a show. Been there, done that.

If you have a chance to go and it doesn't cause you too much hardship, I think you should go.
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    I look at it as a party. I like parties. I like Pearl Jam. Also, it was a chance to get me to Wrigley and Fenway. I may not have had a chance to catch a baseball game at either park.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,432
    If this concert was at a random ball park that had no history I would be less inclined to travel to the show. This is Fenway and Wrigley we are talking about here. The history is there and the band knows it. They are going to bring it all 4 nights.
  • MK88178MK88178 Posts: 523
    PJNB said:

If this concert was at a random ball park that had no history I would be less inclined to travel to the show. This is Fenway and Wrigley we are talking about here. The history is there and the band knows it. They are going to bring it all 4 nights.

That sums it up. The shows are going to be amazing.
  • mikerlmikerl Posts: 580
    Been to lots of shows at Fenway. I have always had a great time. Show up early, hang out around the area, explore a historic town, explore a historic ball park, meet people, tie one on, enjoy 40,000 people singing along, think about how fortunate you are to enjoy such an event/life.

For the most part I have always found the sound acceptable.. It's not as good under the grandstand, but still fun.

Fenway shows are a massive draw, people from around the globe come, people who aren't that into PJ will come, it's a massive event, and I will have the time of my life.. Even if it does not sound like a theater.
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,381
    Go, because Pearl Jam is playing. It's the only reason you need.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • pjalive21pjalive21 Posts: 2,818
    2013 Wrigley show had so much anticipation and build up and the band wanted to play there and it was a dream of Ed's so that the energy around it was second to none...too bad the storms put a damper on that spirit so I expect the Wrigley shows to be off the charts...I say go because it a rare experience not because of great acoustics
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129
    Look at the setlist they planned for Wrigley. People on this board said they would never play ballparks, that they couldn't sellout ballparks, that ballpark shows couldn't be epic. The band did proved all three assertions wrong in 2013. Maybe the acoustics aren't great. Maybe the sight lines aren't either. Maybe your seats aren't as close as you are accustomed to. All part of the experience. I had a BLAST at Wrigley three years ago and I fully expect to have an even better time this weekend.

If you have a chance to go, take it. You may not get this chance again.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,825
    I'm not crazy about stadium shows either...especially at baseball stadiums. But lucky for me I live in Chicago so I'll never pass up a chance to see PJ and being able to sleep in my own bed that night.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,152
    Fenway and wrigley are the two best stadiums I've ever attended and I've wanted to revisit each city. To be able to see my favorite band is icing on the cake. Picked Fenway because it's easy to travel to from NYC and I'm busy wrigley 1.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    When else will you get to play right field at Wrigley?

https://youtu.be/BOYNoYK0-8g
  • 63schoefflin63schoefflin Posts: 2,581
    All stadium shows regardless aren't going to be top notch for vibe or sound, but at the end of the day if the band is good then it's worth it. Just not going to be anything special on terms of sound quality or crazy intensity.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Free said:

I don't have much interest in seeing ANY show at a stadium for my own reasons (including sound, inability to see much, etc). Those who have attended stadium shows and think they're worth it, can you tell me what's so great about them?

Do not use this chance to get all over me either, I have a chance to go a Fenway show, and really would like to know why I should take the chance. Thanks

I don't like them either, as a rule. Gillette has terrible acoustics in my opinion. The shows I have seen at Fenway, particularly from the field, have been excellent. They put a new sound system in a few years ago and it really is impressive.
    9\28\04 - Boston 5\25\06 - Boston 6\28\08 - Mansfield 8\27\09 - Chicago 5\15\10 - Hartford EV - In Providence on the night the Bruins won the Cup! 7\19\13 - Chicago 10\25\13 - Hartford 4\28\16 - Philly 4\29\16 - Philly 8\5\16 - Fenway 8\7\16 - Fenway
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    edited August 2016
    At Wrigley I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. For an outdoor stadium it was good (though that's just one venue, and even outdoor shows that do have relatively good sound never sound as good as an arena with good sound). My problem with Wrigley was that it was just too damn big. I'm sure if you were lucky enough to be in GA or near the front of the field seating it was fucking awesome, but the vast majority of the tickets, no matter how good, still put you so far away from the stage that you can't really see much of anything, so you are just there watching the show on the screens, which is not what I go to a concert to do. Plus, the band isn't able to really connect with the crowd in a stadium they way they can in an arena, and connecting with the crowd is their special talent. For those reasons, while Wrigley was still fun, I will never pay to see PJ in a stadium again unless it's in my hometown. That said, I am happy to have done it once just for the experience.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,129

Free said:

I don't like them either, as a rule. Gillette has terrible acoustics in my opinion. The shows I have seen at Fenway, particularly from the field, have been excellent. They put a new sound system in a few years ago and it really is impressive.
    They've pumped so much money into Fenway and made so many improvements. The park has never looked as good as it does today despite its age.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Posts: 2,011
    mikerl said:

Been to lots of shows at Fenway. I have always had a great time. Show up early, hang out around the area, explore a historic town, explore a historic ball park, meet people, tie one on, enjoy 40,000 people singing along, think about how fortunate you are to enjoy such an event/life.

For the most part I have always found the sound acceptable.. It's not as good under the grandstand, but still fun.

Fenway shows are a massive draw, people from around the globe come, people who aren't that into PJ will come, it's a massive event, and I will have the time of my life.. Even if it does not sound like a theater.

I like your attitude. Considering that I am flying from the other side of the continent for the two nights, I am going to think this same way. Getting excited for the shows!
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Fenway + PJ = GO!
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• dmbolp said:

When else will you get to play right field at Wrigley?

https://youtu.be/BOYNoYK0-8g

haha hell yeah THIS
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    for me, I chose not to attend and instead went a little more all in on the arena shows. You have the sound issues, sightlines, etc to contend with... not to mention the monster merch cluster I dont want to be tempted with.

• CloneOfASonCloneOfASon Posts: 1,080
    If you haven't experienced the bathrooms at Wrigley you're missing out!

If you haven't experienced the bathrooms at Wrigley you're missing out!

Fenway removed the troughs years ago. Watch out! Waters cold!
    Hartford 1996, Hartford 1998, Mansfield 1 1998, Mansfield 1 2000, Mansfield 2 2000, Albany 2003, MSG 2 2003, Mansfield 3 2003, Boston 2 2004, Albany 2006, Boston 2 2006, Mansfield 2 2008, Boston 2010, Worcester 1 2013, Worcester 2 2013
    I also disagree that arena sound is all that great. In the Boston area, I was impressed with Worcester in 2013. But hands down Mansfield (outdoor pavilion type) sounds better than the Garden every time.

I was happy with the sound at MSG in 03', but largely I think arenas sound terrible because you are in a concrete room, with terrible reflections, and a very loud slapback.

Bring on Fenway!!!!!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,897
    Some arenas (or theatres) sound like shit. Others are phenomenal. It all depends on what venue you're talking about. Same goes for outdoor venues, really, although they don't usually vary AS much.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 1rogeraspain21rogeraspain2 Posts: 104
    edited August 2016
    I suppose it all depends on the venue. I was one of 60,000 at Foro Sol Stadium in Mexico City last November. I was way back, but the show was great as was the sound. Better sound than two shows at L.A. Sports Arena in 2013 and easily on par with sound at MSG in May.

Stadiums aren't ideal for me either, but that wouldn't stop me from catching a PJ show.

And if it's an iconic stadium (i.e. Wrigley or Fenway), then the overall experience would far outweigh any reservations I might have about attending because of sound or viewing quality (though obstructed view, weather, or super-shitty sound might be reasons to stay home). I really only have control over one of those three things beforehand. So if I had an unobstructed view, I'd be willing to roll the dice on the other two.

The opportunity to catch the band live ... anywhere ... is (for me) worth enduring less than ideal conditions. Few if any other artists or bands I can say that about, but ... we're talkin' about Pearl Jam, so ...
    Post edited by 1rogeraspain2 on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,783
    Suziemay said:

I really dislike them too, but I'm going to Fenway because it's Fenway. Ed loves ballparks and he will be in a good mood, so I'm going because of that, not because I think Fenway will be an amazing venue. I went to Wrigley in 2013 for the same reason, and especially because it was Wrigley, but I have no desire to ever go to Wrigley again for a show. Been there, done that.

If you have a chance to go and it doesn't cause you too much hardship, I think you should go.

I'm with you with everything you said, as i too dislike Stadium shows and only went to Wrigley for the same reason as you. Same goes with Fenway. That may be the last Stadium show i do too.

Also agree with Suziemay: Go to the show!!
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,535
    The more people at a show, the more atmosphere you have from all those people singing along and cheering. Being in the pit or good seats at a stadium is epic. I'm not such of fan of Stadium Nose Bleeds though... they're so far back. I'll gladly to go to stadium shows if I can decent tickets.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    For the same reason I will go to festivals to see see them. It is a party with your friends and Pearl Jam is the house band.
    It is about the LIVE MUSIC by the best hard rock band. I don't need to see the band up close to hear them play. The sound is generally better than at some of the arenas. Its simple, I could stay home or I could go to a pearl jam concert. Easy choice IMHO.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    When the outdoors venues was build for their acoustic .the is no comparison.are away better..i prefer outdoor shows and venues..especially berlin amphitheather atyle....the only pro is the setlist..cos usually to fil the room the band plays songs they know sounds good at outdoors shows..and that means..no rare songs
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,412
    edited August 2016
    I try to see Pearl Jam whenever I can, like many other fans. The last time I've seen Pearl Jam outdoors was in Barrie/Toronto in 1998. I'm very much looking forward to Friday night's show. This is a huge event, and like every other Pearl Jam show that I've seen, we know the band is going to deliver an incredible performance. I last saw the band at the two shows in Toronto in May, and both of those shows were awesome. Friday night can't get here soon enough. Enjoy the music everyone, be safe, and kind to others :)