Options

49+ Hours of Merch Sales for 6 hours of Music

Comments

• Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    It's the "gotta have it now" mentality that is a part of culture now.

For instance, take Making a Murderer. One weekend, it completely exploded and everyone and every website was talking about it. You gotta see it...did you see it?...everyone's watching it!...Watch it now now now!

2 weeks later no one cares.

Pearl Jam and 10C has essentially done the same thing and convinced you that this is stuff you need and you need it now. It's limited! Isn't this awesome?! You can't line up until 7am!

Making limited edition merch and selling it over a period of a week in limited quantities each day, selling out early each day, creates a frenzy. It makes people who waited and missed think, "damn, I'll have to get there earlier tomorrow". So even more people get there earlier the next day, and even more people miss out that day, etc. etc.

Then it gets listed and impulse bought on eBay, making people think that those prices are its true worth, and not just the price that a small amount of people are willing to pay to avoid the headache.

There's no pre-sale because this situation helps the band's image. "Fans wait hours in line for Pearl Jam shirts". They sell more by making you think you want it because there's a line for it. They don't care about the secondary market because it helps their product. It sucks to hear, but its true.

And while I know all this and accept it, I'll still wait in line and be a part of the problem. Because until people stop willingly lining up and things stop selling out, there is no reason for their formula to change and every reason for it to expand.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    edited July 2016

They tried this once before. It sucked for the customer because we didn't know what we were buying. (The poster really sucked). I also think that it took away from people buying more product weather it being tshirts, pins, one sies, etc.impulse buying.
  • Options
    MK88178MK88178 Chicago Posts: 502
    Poncier said:

I have to assume this is a way to try and make things better for all involved, with merch sales spread out over nearly a week, hopefully nobody has to spend ridiculous amounts of time in line like they have for some past shows. And hopefully there will be some $1 ice cold water available near by.

Sadly flippers will be there everyday to get merch. I'm hoping fenway is like wrigley and they have v a merch stand at home plate for everyone on the field.
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,542
    I hope all the Wrigley posters look like shit so I don't feel bad about missing out by standing in line only to not get one.
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,772

I don't know. Lining up for 3+ hours to get a poster/t-shirt and lining up for 15+ hours so you can be closer to the band are both equally ridiculous to me.

Thankfully, Fenway is all seats.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

For instance, take Making a Murderer. One weekend, it completely exploded and everyone and every website was talking about it. You gotta see it...did you see it?...everyone's watching it!...Watch it now now now!

Pearl Jam and 10C has essentially done the same thing and convinced you that this is stuff you need and you need it now. It's limited! Isn't this awesome?! You can't line up until 7am!

Making limited edition merch and selling it over a period of a week in limited quantities each day, selling out early each day, creates a frenzy. It makes people who waited and missed think, "damn, I'll have to get there earlier tomorrow". So even more people get there earlier the next day, and even more people miss out that day, etc. etc.

Then it gets listed and impulse bought on eBay, making people think that those prices are its true worth, and not just the price that a small amount of people are willing to pay to avoid the headache.

There's no pre-sale because this situation helps the band's image. "Fans wait hours in line for Pearl Jam shirts". They sell more by making you think you want it because there's a line for it. They don't care about the secondary market because it helps their product. It sucks to hear, but its true.

And while I know all this and accept it, I'll still wait in line and be a part of the problem. Because until people stop willingly lining up and things stop selling out, there is no reason for their formula to change and every reason for it to expand.

Great points...

I find it interesting this pj merch craze is really only here in America... and it's getting worse... 2013 I was able to line up at 1:30 and have my poster and sticker back in my car within about 30 minutes... Philly 2013 and Charlottesville we had no problems...

2014 it changed... Memphis we got out if a huge line because we didn't like the poster and moline was insane but we waited 4 hours for a poster... and of course now it's just total insanity
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    last time i stood up in merch line was at 2006..my first pj shoiw,,i waned a hat.and get a gift for my sis.... thats it..i dont even look where are the merch at the show.and only go there if a friend is in the line and want to meet...music andf have fun with friends,..is what matters to me
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

last time i stood up in merch line was at 2006..my first pj shoiw,,i waned a hat.and get a gift for my sis.... thats it..i dont even look where are the merch at the show.and only go there if a friend is in the line and want to meet...music andf have fun with friends,..is what matters to me

I agree
  • Options
    CG36691CG36691 Posts: 7
    I miss the days of quickly buying a memento at the merch table on the way into the show. I'd love to have a little something from Fenway, but no patience for waiting in long lines, esp. in the heat!

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but I'd like 10C to charge an extra $5 for a pair of tix & tuck a couple of stickers in the envelope. Anyone who didn't want them could hand them to a stranger... a random act of kindness! (Peace, love & PJ instead of greed, greed & greed.)
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    edited July 2016
    You buy one poster at one show, and then you realize you'll be collecting. I innocently bought a poster in 2003 and now I have 12 framed on my walls, not including the multiple posters picked up this tour. It's like a scrapbook that's not buried in a closet somewhere to me.

I gotta admit though, after MSG this year I've been saving for Fenway flipped merch because the intensity of the lines makes for less memorable moments. Good thing is there's always a great show to come after buying the stuff.

I get the desire for show-specific merch, just as much as I get trying to grab setlist and picks. The standard tour fare with multiple dates never got my attention.
    Post edited by tschav on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    I the a lot of the desire to collect/go crazy for merch is due partially to American culture. But I think for PJ fans it really stems from the bands general activity and merch starting with their prime years. pj fans have been conditioned t feast or famine when it comes to the bands activity. Sadly it's more famine than feast since 94-95. And so I think people try to get as much of whatever that's associated with the band, just to make it through the downtime.

Now they produce more stuff, but we've been so conditioned and they make interesting and specific stuff, that it all sells like crazy.
  • Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    I wouldn't necessary say it's American culture. I saw it Toronto, plenty of non-Americans at those shows.

You don't see this at other bands' shows in the US. I go to a lot of shows - club shows, big venues - the merch situation we've come to despise at a Pearl Pam show, IMO, is a Pearl Jam phenomenon.
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    edited July 2016
    ^^^^ agree. I see it nowhere but pj shows.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001

It's like u were inside my head. Spot on.

We are the problem because people are buying anything as they are scared to miss the next Benny or the like. What will be the next Gdynia, the Auckland, the wrigley pennant, the wrigley hat. ...the list goes on. So they buy up and hoard and hope they have the next big thing. They realise they haven't then a week later are on lost dogs or ebay with some poor excuse of purchase. And this here is the problem. ...people helping others out is still occurring as i receive help from great people, but it makes it harder and within a few days u r dealing with perceived worth trades vs cost price trades. So u have the dilemma. ..race to ebay, pay large and in some ways benchmark value in risk of missing some things or hang out on lost dogs hoping to get a great trader. It took me 2 years to find the wrigley blue hat. ...and therfore are still unsure.

All this though is making me rethink what to do.....as i look at the farken cool fenway merch
  • Options
    Release EVRelease EV Posts: 2,001
    edited July 2016
    And can i just say to those referencing Kiss merch. ...it created some very cool pre-10yo days for me. Buying the Aussie showbags and spitting fake blood through plastic masks.lol
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    It's a good point but PJ still has the lowest ticket prices (if you're able to buy them milli-seconds before the bots; not their fault). And PJ as we all know deserves to be the highest ticketed live act out there; so they completely deserve whatever profit from the merchandise, plus they always do the right thing with charities & such.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,435
    marcos said:

It's a good point but PJ still has the lowest ticket prices (if you're able to buy them milli-seconds before the bots; not their fault). And PJ as we all know deserves to be the highest ticketed live act out there; so they completely deserve whatever profit from the merchandise, plus they always do the right thing with charities & such.

Great points.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    marcos said:

Real good point.

At least they aren't doing a "VIP Diamond Platinum package" that gets you a decent seat and tote bag for $1000+.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    This is why we get less new music and less shows... They make so much $ on merch now, there's less need for albums and shows. There is a projected revenue they need to hit each year to pay for staff and draw there own salaries (just like any business), and it doesn't matter how they earn it as long as they hit it.
  • Options
    DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693

I wouldn't necessary say it's American culture. I saw it Toronto, plenty of non-Americans at those shows.

You don't see this at other bands' shows in the US. I go to a lot of shows - club shows, big venues - the merch situation we've come to despise at a Pearl Pam show, IMO, is a Pearl Jam phenomenon.

Just saw Guns N Roses a few weeks ago in NJ. Merch situation was close to PJ but had some notable differences. Trailer when you walked in the gates. Show specific/ limited posters which cost $50 each. I asked the sales guy why they were $50. He stated "because they are limited to 400 made" At lease PJ posters cost $35 at the table. The $50 poster was still available when I left. They had a show specific shirt for $40 which was not available at the trailer, just inside the building at one merch stand. Those shirts sold out; but people were pissed they were not at the trailer which is the first merch stand you encountered. They had shirts with both Met Life dates at all locations. So most purchased the shirt with two dates on it first, then saw the more limited one night /date shirt at the inside stand. So G N R seemed to be more about selling you lots of merch at the highest price they could. Oh and some of the tickets cost about 5 times what PJ tix cost. I think I prefer PJ :) G N R DID rock though. Glad I went.
  • Options
    MickeyMouseMickeyMouse Posts: 1,053
    edited August 2016
    Drdeal said:

Just saw Guns N Roses a few weeks ago in NJ. Merch situation was close to PJ but had some notable differences. Trailer when you walked in the gates. Show specific/ limited posters which cost $50 each. I asked the sales guy why they were $50. He stated "because they are limited to 400 made" At lease PJ posters cost $35 at the table. The $50 poster was still available when I left. They had a show specific shirt for $40 which was not available at the trailer, just inside the building at one merch stand. Those shirts sold out; but people were pissed they were not at the trailer which is the first merch stand you encountered. They had shirts with both Met Life dates at all locations. So most purchased the shirt with two dates on it first, then saw the more limited one night /date shirt at the inside stand. So G N R seemed to be more about selling you lots of merch at the highest price they could. Oh and some of the tickets cost about 5 times what PJ tix cost. I think I prefer PJ :) G N R DID rock though. Glad I went.

GnR, just like a lot of the "older" rock bands, are in it almost 100% for the payday, so they'll sell those $1300 Platinum Super Fan VIP packages and whatever else they can at highly inflated prices. I saw AC/DC at MetLife and their shirt prices were even higher ($45/50). The other thing to remember is that venues take a GIANT cut of merch, so some bands choose to raise their prices to offset the money they lose to venues, because merch is a giant part of any touring band's income now. Places like MetLife and MSG take as much as 50% of the merch. That in no way is a justification, but a reason.

And I went to night 1 for GnR at MetLife and they did indeed rock. Axl sounds better than he did 15 years ago. Fantastic show.
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    mr bungle said:

This is why we get less new music and less shows... They make so much $ on merch now, there's less need for albums and shows. There is a projected revenue they need to hit each year to pay for staff and draw there own salaries (just like any business), and it doesn't matter how they earn it as long as they hit it.

Personally I think we get less shows because they are all in their 50s now (or most of them). Touring is probably fun in your 20s, but after 20+ years I imagine it's not. Especially when you have a young family at home.

Add in the fact that album sales don't generate nearly as much $ as they did before iTunes & file sharing & you're looking at a significant drop in revenue.

I don't begrudge them maximizing their profit, they have families to support, and someday they won't be able to tour as PJ. I say more power to them.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    mr bungle said:

No offense. This is pretty cynical. while I'm sure they do play shows to pay their support, I don't think it has anything to do with less new music.

They are just at a different point in their lives now. They have a catalog and they have families. They are fine spending time with both. New music every 2 years means more writing, recording and touring. It also means more time away from other interests. And they have put 25 years into this band. They can do what they want at this point.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I will say this... I definitely prefer 5 days of merch sales over them selling out their catalog for commercial endorsements like every other band not named Neil Young has done...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't know. Lining up for 3+ hours to get a poster/t-shirt and lining up for 15+ hours so you can be closer to the band are both equally ridiculous to me.

Lol, good point.

While i wouldn't do either, I'm not bothered that people do either of these things, and it's pretty damn easy to care about two or more things at once, so this caring about merch more than about the music theory doesn't fly with me. I'm only bothered when people start getting greedy/sneaky/cheaty about it.... which seems to be the case more and more. People putting their selfish wants (and/or profit) over fairness and ensuring that the maximum number of people benefit equally is what bugs me.
    There is a contingent of folks that tour with their merch flipping proceeds. That's gross to me.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Poncier said:

I have to assume this is a way to try and make things better for all involved, with merch sales spread out over nearly a week, hopefully nobody has to spend ridiculous amounts of time in line like they have for some past shows. And hopefully there will be some $1 ice cold water available near by.

I think they learned from 2013 Wrigley show....that was a merch disaster...I for the first time in my life stood in a line for a tshirt for 2 hours and we moved 10ft and I gave up

I think this idea will take the ease of the day of show merch buying

• Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,628
    pjalive21 said:

Poncier said:

I think they learned from 2013 Wrigley show....that was a merch disaster...I for the first time in my life stood in a line for a tshirt for 2 hours and we moved 10ft and I gave up

I honestly don't understand why it takes people so long to buy stuff.

I want this, that, 2 of the other thing, and 1 of those too. Here is my payment. That should take all of 60 seconds.
  • Options
    rbhesterrbhester Posts: 212
    MG79478 said:

pjalive21 said:

Poncier said:

I want this, that, 2 of the other thing, and 1 of those too. Here is my payment. That should take all of 60 seconds.
    It should but I always get behind the "can I see what a large looks like? Hmm. OK. How about an XL? ..... Hmmm... What about that other shirt in a large?..... XL?...."

• Options
    MG79478 said:

pjalive21 said:

Poncier said:

^^^^ Damn right. Never understood how people act like they have not been looking at the merch & prices the whole time they were in line. Pisses me off. Like being behind someone in line at a fast food joint and the idiot in front of me gets up to the register and says "Now....what do I want?" in a tone that indicates he has not looked at the freaking menu the whole time he was in line...WTF?!??!
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    Redrumh2oRedrumh2o Boston, MA Posts: 290
    They should hand out cards to people standing in line. You check off you you want then they you get to the front one person gets your stuff while the other rings you up. You check your bag then you walk off....couple minutes per transaction