California here I come

2»

Comments

• Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    We went walking after we got there Thursday, taking the Magic Bus along.

"The stars are all connected to the brain."
    edited October 2016
    But unfortunately, the Bus adventures ended there. I don't carry a purse when I go to concerts and I couldn't fit the Magic Bus into my pocket. :disappointed:

But the concert was great! The Santa Barbara Bowl is an incredible venue. In all my Whostory, I'd never seen the band outdoors or in such a small venue (4600). Look at these happy old people.

And that was before the show started!
    The opener, Tal Wilkenfeld, is a phenomenal bass player but she needs better material. As Glenn said, she either needs to quit writing her own songs or get a lot better at it.

Also ran into my friend Kanye West Horace from SF. I took of picture of him in his jersey just for Rob. Horace is saying Go Giants!

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Love it! (although a couple of photos didn't come through)

The architecture of Santa Barbara, so charming and old California.

I heard The Who rocked it this weekend at that Desert Trip festival...I think it was just after your show?

And great work on the Magic Bus - perfect :)
    The Who were great! Loose and acting like they were having a blast. Lots of stage banter from Pete. No set list surprises but it's always a thrill when they open with I Can't Explain. And such a treat for me to hear I Can See for Miles, The Kids Are Alright, and Join Together. I've never much cared for You Better You Bet but Roger likes to sing it and he always gets the audience to sing along. There was a crazy moment during YBYB when he was strutting around the stage and suddenly tripped and fell! It was scary--sheesh, the man is 72--but he continued singing while lying on his back and then jumped back up. After the song, Pete was giving him a bunch of shit about where to stay on the stage and how Roger had gone over to one side too far and tripped over a cord. They turned the whole thing into a joke.

We were surrounded by locals who were attending their first Who show and generated a lot of energy. A couple of fortysomething women sat down next to us and the one beside me was either drunk or just very blond. I thought her bubbliness would get on my nerves but I actually enjoyed her excitement at discovering my boys. She kept saying things to me like, "You're so cute! You know the words to all the songs!" and "I hope I'm just like you in about 10 years!" She wiped away tears during The Rock. At the end of the show, she asked if she could take a picture with me to send her daughter. It sounds hilarious describing it now but she really was fun.

I don't know if this will be my last time to see the Birdman but if I go out with this one, I'm content. The Who have played the soundtrack to my life. Seeing them live has always been a joy. So glad we went with our impulse to make this trip.
    Glenn was getting over some kind of bug, so we kind of took it easy the next day. We went down to Stearns Wharf and watched people sailing, kayaking, and fishing.

We also walked around town a lot, sending my pedometer into overdrive, lol. I hadn't realized how much of a tourist town SB is and overheard numerous languages. But nowhere was especially crowded. We had a lot of great food and the coffee was good everywhere we went (very high priority for me) :coffee: . I enjoyed sitting at a sidewalk cafe Friday morning, drinking coffee and watching people walk by, about a third of them wearing Who tees. Even the kids. Lots of people walking dogs.

We're not much for shopping but we did find a record store and spent a lot of time in it. Then I went into a shop that sold socks to buy something for my sister-in-law. She's been through a rough time and I'm trying to send her care packages to cheer her up. OMG this place had thousands of socks! I got her some that I can't post on an all ages forum but you can check out here if you want: https://www.findyourfeetonline.com/collections/womens

Walking around, I kept passing a massage parlor with this sign in the window.

I wanted to go in and ask, "Do you take walk-ins?"

Lots to do in SB. I wish we could have stayed longer but it was a nice break. :smiley:
    hedonist said:

Love it! (although a couple of photos didn't come through)

The architecture of Santa Barbara, so charming and old California.

I heard The Who rocked it this weekend at that Desert Trip festival...I think it was just after your show?

And great work on the Magic Bus - perfect :)

Everything I've heard about Desert Trip so far has been great. They played Sunday night and we saw them the Thursday before.

Pete was in such a great mood. It's always fun when he's into it like that.
    Forgot to add that I did manage to find a SB souvenir in keeping with the Magic Bus theme.

Right after we got there a VW bus went by with surfboards on the rack. Cool. :smiley:
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Love the matching T for the Bus!

(and I too would've been tempted to ask the same question of the massage place =) )
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,652
    Everyone knows there's only one question you ask at the massage parlor.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • SD48277SD48277 Posts: 12,243
    Who P! Glad to hear you had a fabulous time in Santa Barbara. Even happier to see a pic of you with your tiara. :smile:
    ELITIST FUK
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,626
    Great stories, Who Princess! My goodness, I haven't seen The Who since... 1968. I wonder if they've changed much? (haha!)

So glad you're having a good time. Love that little bus!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

SD48277 said:

Who P! Glad to hear you had a fabulous time in Santa Barbara. Even happier to see a pic of you with your tiara. :smile:

That tiara should earn frequent concert miles. I've worn it a lot more than I ever would have guessed. :lol:
  • I love the bus WhoP! It was a great choice.
    Happy to see you and your traveling companion had a great adventure.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Poncier said:

Everyone knows there's only one question you ask at the massage parlor.

"Do you validate?"

Looks like you had a great time, WP. Really can't go wrong with santa barbara
    norm said:

Looks like you had a great time, WP. Really can't go wrong with santa barbara

It's really a nice place. So many things I would have liked to do.

Here's some pictures of the show, courtesy of thewho.com. It includes a shot of Roger continuing to sing after he fell. http://thewho.com/oct-6-2016-santa-barbara-ca/